Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11821  
Old 20.08.2020, 09:53
Elu Elu is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Olten
Posts: 574
Groaned at 21 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 1,083 Times in 459 Posts
Elu has a reputation beyond reputeElu has a reputation beyond reputeElu has a reputation beyond reputeElu has a reputation beyond reputeElu has a reputation beyond reputeElu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
That right there is the attribute that gets liberals those higher intelligence scores, the ability (and willingness) to see how things are connected. Conservatives love to view everything in isolation so they don’t have to accept the consequences of their apathy and recklessness. Sorry to tell you Tony, in this world EVERYTHING is connected in one way or another. It’s just a matter of being smart enough to see it.
There it is again, if you were smarter, you would agree with me.

Quote:
View Post
Can a moderator perhaps move the socialist vs conservative and democratic vs republican posts to a separate thread, as they are irrelevant to the coronavirus?
+
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Elu for this useful post:
  #11822  
Old 20.08.2020, 13:07
AbFab's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 8,370
Groaned at 356 Times in 244 Posts
Thanked 12,353 Times in 4,224 Posts
AbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond reputeAbFab has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
That right there is the attribute that gets liberals those higher intelligence scores, the ability (and willingness) to see how things are connected. Conservatives love to view everything in isolation so they don’t have to accept the consequences of their apathy and recklessness. Sorry to tell you Tony, in this world EVERYTHING is connected in one way or another. It’s just a matter of being smart enough to see it.
EdwinNL - you‘re back!
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank AbFab for this useful post:
  #11823  
Old 20.08.2020, 13:34
robogobo's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Horw (LU)
Posts: 504
Groaned at 76 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 414 Times in 216 Posts
robogobo has a reputation beyond reputerobogobo has a reputation beyond reputerobogobo has a reputation beyond reputerobogobo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
EdwinNL - you‘re back!
Uh, no. Nice try.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank robogobo for this useful post:
  #11824  
Old 20.08.2020, 13:40
robogobo's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Horw (LU)
Posts: 504
Groaned at 76 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 414 Times in 216 Posts
robogobo has a reputation beyond reputerobogobo has a reputation beyond reputerobogobo has a reputation beyond reputerobogobo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Can a moderator perhaps move the socialist vs conservative and democratic vs republican posts to a separate thread, as they are irrelevant to the coronavirus?
HA! Yeah sorry but it absolutely is relevant. Your understanding of politics must be extremely simple if you think a global health crisis with governments limiting freedom of movement and mandating social behavior isn't political, and therefore subject to partisan policy. It's about as political as anything can be.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank robogobo for this useful post:
  #11825  
Old 20.08.2020, 13:42
robogobo's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Horw (LU)
Posts: 504
Groaned at 76 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 414 Times in 216 Posts
robogobo has a reputation beyond reputerobogobo has a reputation beyond reputerobogobo has a reputation beyond reputerobogobo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
There it is again, if you were smarter, you would agree with me.
No. If you were smarter (or just more willing to look) you'd see the connections.
Reply With Quote
  #11826  
Old 20.08.2020, 13:45
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 1,656
Groaned at 584 Times in 334 Posts
Thanked 4,095 Times in 1,716 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
EdwinNL - you‘re back!
To be fair to our friend EdwinNL, he said during this discussion that he was conservative/right wing yet was in favour of the lockdown measures. Just another small example that robogobo's theory is nonsense.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank TonyClifton for this useful post:
The following 2 users groan at TonyClifton for this post:
  #11827  
Old 20.08.2020, 13:50
robogobo's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Horw (LU)
Posts: 504
Groaned at 76 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 414 Times in 216 Posts
robogobo has a reputation beyond reputerobogobo has a reputation beyond reputerobogobo has a reputation beyond reputerobogobo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
To be fair to our friend EdwinNL, he said during this discussion that he was conservative/right wing yet was in favour of the lockdown measures. Just another small example that robogobo's theory is nonsense.
Your oversimplified and twisted version of my theory is nonsense. But my theory that the 20/20 hindsight "overreaction" position is overwhelmingly right wing, while the left overwhelmingly supported extensive lockdown measures from the start, and that the political spectrum being a circle, extremes in either direction will appear identical, all spot on. Of course the contrarian only needs to find one exception to a rule and he thinks he's right.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank robogobo for this useful post:
  #11828  
Old 20.08.2020, 14:00
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 3,399
Groaned at 40 Times in 40 Posts
Thanked 4,580 Times in 2,110 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
HA! Yeah sorry but it absolutely is relevant. Your understanding of politics must be extremely simple if you think a global health crisis with governments limiting freedom of movement and mandating social behavior isn't political, and therefore subject to partisan policy. It's about as political as anything can be.
Yes, it is political. But I see that in Switzerland the covid19 is regarded as a problem to solve through politics while in my home country the virus is seen as an opportunity to discredit the current government/politicians.

All this right/left wing discussion is not aimed at solving the problems or minimizing the side effects of proposed solution, it's just scoring on the opponents, winning an argument for the sake of winning. This kind of politics is the irrelevant one, but it attracts a lot of people.
Reply With Quote
  #11829  
Old 20.08.2020, 14:04
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,378
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

In Malta with a population of 465,000, 3030 tests were carried out in the last 24 hours with 40 positive. Seems way over the top, 80% of the positives have no symptoms.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #11830  
Old 20.08.2020, 14:07
robogobo's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Horw (LU)
Posts: 504
Groaned at 76 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 414 Times in 216 Posts
robogobo has a reputation beyond reputerobogobo has a reputation beyond reputerobogobo has a reputation beyond reputerobogobo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Yes, it is political. But I see that in Switzerland the covid19 is regarded as a problem to solve through politics while in my home country the virus is seen as an opportunity to discredit the current government/politicians.

All this right/left wing discussion is not aimed at solving the problems or minimizing the side effects of proposed solution, it's just scoring on the opponents, winning an argument for the sake of winning. This kind of politics is the irrelevant one, but it attracts a lot of people.
The right/left distinction in policy, while you may not consider it relevant to this particular discussion, is critical in understanding the connections between government, media, support on the street and how you are affected personally by the rule put in place. Come on, you can't actually believe you can push aside politics and try to find a solution that will actually make it through the proper channels and into practice. What about upcoming elections in the US? What about vetting news sources when you search for facts? What about the message coming from influential groups trying to bolster or discredit the daily new "discoveries" about the virus. How can you think politics doesn't play a role in every move?
__________________

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank robogobo for this useful post:
  #11831  
Old 20.08.2020, 15:44
Elu Elu is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Olten
Posts: 574
Groaned at 21 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 1,083 Times in 459 Posts
Elu has a reputation beyond reputeElu has a reputation beyond reputeElu has a reputation beyond reputeElu has a reputation beyond reputeElu has a reputation beyond reputeElu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
There it is again, if you were smarter, you would agree with me.



+
Quote:
View Post
No. If you were smarter (or just more willing to look) you'd see the connections.
Go on finish the thought, we are almost there

....I'd see the connections and then ....
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Elu for this useful post:
  #11832  
Old 20.08.2020, 15:45
V__'s Avatar
V__ V__ is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,511
Groaned at 384 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 2,082 Times in 866 Posts
V__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

After the surge in corona virus cases in France president Macron said there was no way to introduce another lockdown due to the collateral damage caused by confinement

Quote:
We cannot shut down the country, because the collateral damage of confinement is considerable,” Macron, who hosts German Chancellor Angela Merkel for talks later on Thursday, said in an interview with Paris Match magazine.“


So much for the benefits of a lockdown.

It's good to see that countries are slowly but surely adopting the correct Swedish approach
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank V__ for this useful post:
  #11833  
Old 20.08.2020, 15:46
Elu Elu is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Olten
Posts: 574
Groaned at 21 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 1,083 Times in 459 Posts
Elu has a reputation beyond reputeElu has a reputation beyond reputeElu has a reputation beyond reputeElu has a reputation beyond reputeElu has a reputation beyond reputeElu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Basel Stadt introduced the "Erweiterte Maskenpflicht"

https://www.medien.bs.ch/nm/2020-cor...-stadt-rr.html

Very brief: Mask is mandatory in shops an restaurants.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Elu for this useful post:
  #11834  
Old 20.08.2020, 16:00
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 11,094
Groaned at 510 Times in 433 Posts
Thanked 19,984 Times in 10,538 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

For those interested in school reopening, it is not going so well in some parts of the US.
Quote:
Thousands of students and teachers across the country are quarantining just days into the new school year, highlighting the challenges of resuming in-person instruction during a pandemic.

While many schools aren’t scheduled to reopen until later this month or September, those that have are offering a preview of the chaos that awaits districts this fall, particularly in hotspots in the South and Midwest where the virus is spreading uncontrollably.

In Georgia’s Cherokee County School District, where students are not required to wear masks, nearly 2,200 students — mostly high schoolers — are quarantining after coming into contact with one of 116 students or 25 teachers and staff members with COVID-19. Another 53 teachers and staff members are also quarantining.

Schools in states like Indiana, Louisiana, Oklahoma and Tennessee have shut down, at least temporarily, after finding COVID-19 in their hallways and classrooms.
Source

Difficulty is that there are no standard agreed definitions of the requirements to be met to open a school or when a school should be closed.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #11835  
Old 20.08.2020, 16:13
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: BaselStadt
Posts: 482
Groaned at 91 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 974 Times in 393 Posts
CodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
After the surge in corona virus cases in France president Macron said there was no way to introduce another lockdown due to the collateral damage caused by confinement



So much for the benefits of a lockdown.

It's good to see that countries are slowly but surely adopting the correct Swedish approach
Finally someone has the balls to set the precedent in Europe.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank CodPeace for this useful post:
  #11836  
Old 20.08.2020, 16:46
TheSpouse's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Saussignac, France
Posts: 1,697
Groaned at 26 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 2,926 Times in 926 Posts
TheSpouse has a reputation beyond reputeTheSpouse has a reputation beyond reputeTheSpouse has a reputation beyond reputeTheSpouse has a reputation beyond reputeTheSpouse has a reputation beyond reputeTheSpouse has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Finally someone has the balls to set the precedent in Europe.
Uh, no, that is not specifically what he said or meant. We here in France have seen another lockdown in the Mayenne, which is one département. They have had high numbers of positive tests and they were put back into a quasi-lockdown with groups limited to 10, etc. He was saying that he is not putting the entire country back into our extreme lockdown when we had to stay with 100 meters of our house. When the testing rate rises above a certain number, as it is currently doing in Paris and Marseilles, just those specific areas will be backtracked. No more gathering in parks, on beaches, on riversides, etc. We are at a point in France, as I am sure you are in Switzerland, where each of the positive cases every day is well known and monitored. The entire country of France is not going back into lockdown. They are dealing with these new outbreaks on a very targeted basis.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank TheSpouse for this useful post:
  #11837  
Old 20.08.2020, 16:55
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: BS
Posts: 65
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts
swissbs has no particular reputation at present
Re: Coronavirus

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/switzerland

Basel Airport is considered to be partially in France so Quarantine is required..

Last edited by swissbs; 20.08.2020 at 17:02. Reason: .
Reply With Quote
  #11838  
Old 20.08.2020, 16:57
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 4,896
Groaned at 275 Times in 195 Posts
Thanked 10,048 Times in 3,794 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
After the surge in corona virus cases in France president Macron said there was no way to introduce another lockdown due to the collateral damage caused by confinement



So much for the benefits of a lockdown.

It's good to see that countries are slowly but surely adopting the correct Swedish approach
"So much for the benefits of a lockdown?" Would you really rather prefer that thousands of more people had died?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Pancakes for this useful post:
  #11839  
Old 20.08.2020, 17:01
V__'s Avatar
V__ V__ is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 1,511
Groaned at 384 Times in 215 Posts
Thanked 2,082 Times in 866 Posts
V__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond reputeV__ has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
"So much for the benefits of a lockdown?" Would you really rather prefer that thousands of more people had died?
Lockdown causes more damage than corona virus, this is the reality unfortunately.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank V__ for this useful post:
  #11840  
Old 20.08.2020, 17:04
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: BaselStadt
Posts: 482
Groaned at 91 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 974 Times in 393 Posts
CodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Uh, no, that is not specifically what he said or meant. We here in France have seen another lockdown in the Mayenne, which is one département. They have had high numbers of positive tests and they were put back into a quasi-lockdown with groups limited to 10, etc. He was saying that he is not putting the entire country back into our extreme lockdown when we had to stay with 100 meters of our house. When the testing rate rises above a certain number, as it is currently doing in Paris and Marseilles, just those specific areas will be backtracked. No more gathering in parks, on beaches, on riversides, etc. We are at a point in France, as I am sure you are in Switzerland, where each of the positive cases every day is well known and monitored. The entire country of France is not going back into lockdown. They are dealing with these new outbreaks on a very targeted basis.
Yes, I did understand that.

Local lock downs, the new normal.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cold, corona, coronavirus, covid, covid-19, flu, health, medical, virus




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 5 (0 members and 5 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coronavirus Jokes makeabigwish Daily life 256 Yesterday 21:06
Coronavirus closed janvier Forum support 18 01.11.2020 13:12
Paid holidays and coronavirus Curtiss Employment 2 20.04.2020 09:22
Coronavirus scammers are out there - be warned Medea Fleecestealer Daily life 9 18.04.2020 18:53
Leaving Switzerland for UK during coronavirus barkingtreewolf Leaving Switzerland 19 11.04.2020 11:45


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0