Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #18921  
Old 02.01.2021, 15:49
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Aargau
Posts: 120
Groaned at 41 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 243 Times in 95 Posts
Harness is considered knowledgeableHarness is considered knowledgeableHarness is considered knowledgeable
Re: Coronavirus

Public Health England have said they 'do not recommend' mixing the vaccines, so we can all calm down, it's not going to happen.


It's a warning though that there's not enough vaccine to go round for this year's covid season, not even for the vulnerable.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Harness for this useful post:
  #18922  
Old 02.01.2021, 16:07
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 931
Groaned at 350 Times in 212 Posts
Thanked 2,171 Times in 1,044 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Public Health England have said they 'do not recommend' mixing the vaccines, so we can all calm down, it's not going to happen.

It's a warning though that there's not enough vaccine to go round for this year's covid season, not even for the vulnerable.
Well it was the New York Times that ran the story, to be taken with a massive pinch of salt!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TonyClifton for this useful post:
This user groans at TonyClifton for this post:
  #18923  
Old 02.01.2021, 16:25
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ausserschwyz
Posts: 986
Groaned at 29 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 1,869 Times in 721 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

You can think about the article want you want, but the source document seems quite clear.

Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank komsomolez for this useful post:
  #18924  
Old 02.01.2021, 17:09
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,749
Groaned at 430 Times in 371 Posts
Thanked 17,830 Times in 9,521 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
You can think about the article want you want, but the source document seems quite clear.
Please stop confusing TC by quoting facts, I believe mixing different vaccines without having done the appropriate testing is insanely risky.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #18925  
Old 02.01.2021, 17:37
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Thalwil
Posts: 297
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 184 Times in 98 Posts
TinyK has earned some respectTinyK has earned some respect
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I've read that restaurants are one of the biggest ways that the virus spreads easily, so I'm not sure it's a good idea to reopen them... and especially not until we have some idea of what's going to happen with this new variant of the virus. Even with social distancing in the restaurants, people are still sharing bathrooms,
People are visiting bathrooms at ski resorts as well. And I don't know why families sitting and eating on every horizontal surface they could find around the restaurants are better than to let them use the chairs and tables on the terrace. And many things to take away are sold inside the restaurants, or the drinks are sold inside and food is outside, or vice versa. The current setting is so stupid and so inconvenient for everybody.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TinyK for this useful post:
  #18926  
Old 02.01.2021, 17:51
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: ZH
Posts: 91
Groaned at 9 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 115 Times in 46 Posts
Son of Mom has earned the respect of manySon of Mom has earned the respect of manySon of Mom has earned the respect of many
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
People are visiting bathrooms at ski resorts as well. And I don't know why families sitting and eating on every horizontal surface they could find around the restaurants are better than to let them use the chairs and tables on the terrace. And many things to take away are sold inside the restaurants, or the drinks are sold inside and food is outside, or vice versa. The current setting is so stupid and so inconvenient for everybody.
And that is why opening ski resorts was a mightily stupid thing to do. But well, this is Switzerland, the new Sweden of Corona response.

Call me asocial but I have very hard time to understand people who equal restaurants, concerts, clubs, bars, ski resorts and such to essential services absence of which seem to violate their liberties and make life impossible.

Can't people just spend few month at home? Read bunch of books, do something with their hands or head, spend quality time with family, learn to cook, do some art, there is literally gazillion things to do.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank Son of Mom for this useful post:
  #18927  
Old 02.01.2021, 17:53
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: ZH
Posts: 402
Groaned at 28 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 401 Times in 198 Posts
LifeStrain has an excellent reputationLifeStrain has an excellent reputationLifeStrain has an excellent reputationLifeStrain has an excellent reputation
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
People are visiting bathrooms at ski resorts as well. And I don't know why families sitting and eating on every horizontal surface they could find around the restaurants are better than to let them use the chairs and tables on the terrace. And many things to take away are sold inside the restaurants, or the drinks are sold inside and food is outside, or vice versa. The current setting is so stupid and so inconvenient for everybody.
Well, it is also about exposure time... spending 5 min inside for take-away order or sitting 2 hours inside a crowded space yields not the same likelihood of infection.
Reply With Quote
  #18928  
Old 02.01.2021, 17:56
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: ZH
Posts: 91
Groaned at 9 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 115 Times in 46 Posts
Son of Mom has earned the respect of manySon of Mom has earned the respect of manySon of Mom has earned the respect of many
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Well, it is also about exposure time... spending 5 min inside for take-away order or sitting 2 hours inside a crowded space yields not the same likelihood of infection.

Public bathrooms are dangerous though, Virus is present in feces and flushing toilet produces lots of aerosols.
Reply With Quote
  #18929  
Old 02.01.2021, 17:56
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: ZH
Posts: 402
Groaned at 28 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 401 Times in 198 Posts
LifeStrain has an excellent reputationLifeStrain has an excellent reputationLifeStrain has an excellent reputationLifeStrain has an excellent reputation
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Can't people just spend few month at home? Read bunch of books, do something with their hands or head, spend quality time with family, learn to cook, do some art, there is literally gazillion things to do.
And how are you supposed to fill your Instagram feed during this time? Quotes from books you read, or kitchen ashes? Pfff....
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank LifeStrain for this useful post:
  #18930  
Old 02.01.2021, 18:05
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 931
Groaned at 350 Times in 212 Posts
Thanked 2,171 Times in 1,044 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
You can think about the article want you want, but the source document seems quite clear.

Yes, it’s clear that this is a non-story! The first three sentences are perfectly clear. PHE have clarified further

Quote:
"There may be extremely rare occasions where the same vaccine is not available, or where it is not known what vaccine the patient received.

"Every effort should be made to give them the same vaccine, but where this is not possible it is better to give a second dose of another vaccine than not at all."
Now compare this to the NYT headline “Britain Opts for Mix-and-Match Vaccinations, Confounding Experts”.

Just another fake news click bait headline the kind of which we’ve come to expect. Add it to the long list of Covid scare stories and misinformation supplied to us by the media.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TonyClifton for this useful post:
  #18931  
Old 02.01.2021, 18:12
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ausserschwyz
Posts: 986
Groaned at 29 Times in 26 Posts
Thanked 1,869 Times in 721 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Yes, it’s clear that this is a non-story! The first three sentences are perfectly clear. PHE have clarified further



Now compare this to the NYT headline “Britain Opts for Mix-and-Match Vaccinations, Confounding Experts”.

Just another fake news click bait headline the kind of which we’ve come to expect. Add it to the long list of Covid scare stories and misinformation supplied to us by the media.
Don't hyperventilate; it's dangerous when wearing a mask

We will see to what extent availability is an issue and what happens then. Not long ago, no one talked about 12 week gaps or one shot only either.

Edit: You have a point in that the headline of the article is somewhat misleading although the text quotes the PHE reservations. Clickbait? You mean a la "Lockdown kills more people than Covid"? Guess it is a business at the end.

Last edited by komsomolez; 02.01.2021 at 18:44.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank komsomolez for this useful post:
  #18932  
Old 02.01.2021, 18:26
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: ZH
Posts: 91
Groaned at 9 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 115 Times in 46 Posts
Son of Mom has earned the respect of manySon of Mom has earned the respect of manySon of Mom has earned the respect of many
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
And how are you supposed to fill your Instagram feed during this time? Quotes from books you read, or kitchen ashes? Pfff....

Cooking results of course! See wonderful, mouth watering instagram cooking images here
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Son of Mom for this useful post:
  #18933  
Old 02.01.2021, 19:38
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Zürich
Posts: 292
Groaned at 25 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 297 Times in 155 Posts
vladest has a reputation beyond reputevladest has a reputation beyond reputevladest has a reputation beyond reputevladest has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
This sounds very desperate.
this sounds stupid
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank vladest for this useful post:
  #18934  
Old 02.01.2021, 19:41
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Zürich
Posts: 292
Groaned at 25 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 297 Times in 155 Posts
vladest has a reputation beyond reputevladest has a reputation beyond reputevladest has a reputation beyond reputevladest has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Not at all. They asked a medical expert on the news weeks ago if you can mix and match vaccines, they said that should work absolutely fine!
it will be absolutely fine only in one case: all those vaccines are just hoax
Reply With Quote
  #18935  
Old 02.01.2021, 19:47
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Zürich
Posts: 292
Groaned at 25 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 297 Times in 155 Posts
vladest has a reputation beyond reputevladest has a reputation beyond reputevladest has a reputation beyond reputevladest has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Virus is present in feces
active?
Reply With Quote
  #18936  
Old 02.01.2021, 20:02
22 yards's Avatar
Only in moderation
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Basel-Land
Posts: 8,998
Groaned at 283 Times in 224 Posts
Thanked 19,020 Times in 7,525 Posts
22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute22 yards has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Just another fake news click bait headline the kind of which we’ve come to expect. Add it to the long list of Covid scare stories and misinformation supplied to us by the media.
You still clinging to your "COVID-19 is a hoax, it's just the 'flu, it'll go away like a miracle" raft? You should be 2,000 feet under water by now. Approaching 2 million deaths; 1 in 1,000 Americans dead; more and more younger people being badly affected, even dying; long COVID proving to be very real, and very serious... and yet, you still want everyone to blithely mix and mingle and contract the virus.

The message just doesn't get through to some people. But I guess that with Trump defeated—not just once, but more than 50 times, for extra lolz—you've nothing much else to cling to.
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank 22 yards for this useful post:
  #18937  
Old 02.01.2021, 21:46
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Thalwil
Posts: 297
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 184 Times in 98 Posts
TinyK has earned some respectTinyK has earned some respect
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Call me asocial but I have very hard time to understand people who equal restaurants, concerts, clubs, bars, ski resorts and such to essential services absence of which seem to violate their liberties and make life impossible.

Can't people just spend few month at home?
You don't have kids or they have grown already, right?

Few months have gone in May already. Now we are in January. It's almost a year now. Nobody believes in this tale "you must just stay home for a few months" anymore.

As for me I can stay home forever. But I have kids, you know. After spending 1.5 weeks of school holidays at home we finally decided to reserve an apartment at the ski resort for the last few days. The kids will at least have something to tell about their holidays on the first day of school apart from watching TV and playing computer games.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TinyK for this useful post:
  #18938  
Old 02.01.2021, 22:07
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 931
Groaned at 350 Times in 212 Posts
Thanked 2,171 Times in 1,044 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Don't hyperventilate; it's dangerous when wearing a mask

We will see to what extent availability is an issue and what happens then. Not long ago, no one talked about 12 week gaps or one shot only either.

Edit: You have a point in that the headline of the article is somewhat misleading although the text quotes the PHE reservations. Clickbait? You mean a la "Lockdown kills more people than Covid"? Guess it is a business at the end.
The New York Times stopped reporting anything objectively about the UK ever since the Brexit referendum. Another piece today claimed that holocaust survivors would be ashamed of Britain for leaving the EU. A once serious news paper has become a rag.

Quote:
View Post
You still clinging to your "COVID-19 is a hoax, it's just the 'flu, it'll go away like a miracle" raft? You should be 2,000 feet under water by now. Approaching 2 million deaths; 1 in 1,000 Americans dead; more and more younger people being badly affected, even dying; long COVID proving to be very real, and very serious... and yet, you still want everyone to blithely mix and mingle and contract the virus.

The message just doesn't get through to some people. But I guess that with Trump defeated—not just once, but more than 50 times, for extra lolz—you've nothing much else to cling to.
I've never said that Covid is a hoax, just that the response to it hasn't worked and wasn't warranted in the first place given how the vast majority of people make a good and full recovery.

Let's have a look at how Sweden are doing, see in the attached chart. If Sweden were the control group (no masks, no lockdowns) what would be your conclusion as to how Europe has managed the pandemic response?

Not that you should care anyway, it's clear that the majority of Europe's leaders isn't listening to lockdown/masks sceptics like me (though I still hold out hope for Switzerland). They're carrying on their path anyway even in the absence of any real world evidence that any of their actions are having a meaningful effect.
Attached Thumbnails
coronavirus-7fe7a61b-dd1a-4c6b-9c17-5d60ae.png  
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users groan at TonyClifton for this post:
  #18939  
Old 02.01.2021, 22:12
Mélusine's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Lutry
Posts: 3,870
Groaned at 32 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 5,431 Times in 2,196 Posts
Mélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond reputeMélusine has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
And that is why opening ski resorts was a mightily stupid thing to do. But well, this is Switzerland, the new Sweden of Corona response.

Call me asocial but I have very hard time to understand people who equal restaurants, concerts, clubs, bars, ski resorts and such to essential services absence of which seem to violate their liberties and make life impossible.

Can't people just spend few month at home? Read bunch of books, do something with their hands or head, spend quality time with family, learn to cook, do some art, there is literally gazillion things to do.
I fully understand current restrictions and support them. However, I can’t call what we’re having to do living. Eating out with friends, going to the museum, the theatre, concerts is what makes my brain stay alive and what gives me a quality of life above pure survival. For me, quality time with my children means going outside exploring the world: playgrounds, museums, group activities, etc.

So yes, I’ll encourage and obey current restrictions, but I certainly won’t appreciate or enjoy them.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Mélusine for this useful post:
  #18940  
Old 02.01.2021, 22:46
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 9,749
Groaned at 430 Times in 371 Posts
Thanked 17,830 Times in 9,521 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Public Health England have said they 'do not recommend' mixing the vaccines, so we can all calm down, it's not going to happen.


It's a warning though that there's not enough vaccine to go round for this year's covid season, not even for the vulnerable.
Today
Quote:
Officials have defended England’s vaccine regimen after details of a contingency plan to mix the two approved jabs in a small number of cases emerged.

Public Health England’s Covid “green book” recommends that “it is reasonable to offer one dose of the locally available product to complete the schedule” if the same vaccine used for the first dose is not available.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
cold, corona, coronavirus, covid, covid-19, flu, health, medical, virus




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 7 (0 members and 7 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0