Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #19161  
Old 06.01.2021, 13:20
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 1,241
Groaned at 28 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 1,677 Times in 867 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Indeed, the UK variant seems to be so contagious that lockdown measures have had little effect on its spread so far. Yesterday there came also the news that current vaccines may not even work as effectively against the South African variant. No one anywhere appears to have any sort of exit strategy.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-v...-south-africa/
In London, something approaching herd immunity is pretty much inevitable now. That's one exit strategy. Perhaps not a desirable one!

Last edited by HickvonFrick; 06.01.2021 at 13:35.
Reply With Quote
  #19162  
Old 06.01.2021, 13:30
Talk to you later's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: ZH
Posts: 789
Groaned at 42 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 1,427 Times in 559 Posts
Talk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Did you get tested?
No

Quote:
View Post
Hope it's just the normal flu If it helps, remember that we haven't had a real winter for several years.
I hope too. I don't really have anything so far, apart from a super mild cough.

Quote:
View Post
All I had was the slight cough for 4 or 5 days, never even dreamed it was Covid. But tested positive. Fortunately I hadn't mixed with anyone in that period before testing.
I am at home anyway. Not mixing with anyone. How are you now? Nothing bad happened?

Quote:
View Post
Is you apartment too warm? Are you on home-office?
As a goat herder I am always doing home office. Heating is almost always off, I don't like boiling but my PC etc do generate heat and keep the room warm, always have.

Quote:
View Post
Really, get tested and then at least you will know.
Quote:
View Post
Go to the pharmacy you recommended me to mate... just to be worry free.
Well, if I have Corona or not, I will still be at home anyway. If it turns up positive then my stress level might go over the roof! I am already dealing with some chronic stuff.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Talk to you later for this useful post:
  #19163  
Old 06.01.2021, 13:37
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 1,241
Groaned at 28 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 1,677 Times in 867 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Really, get tested and then at least you will know.
Not singling out our goat herder - but I get the impression lots of people don't really want to get confirmation as they don't want to stay 100% at home for 10 days.
Reply With Quote
The following 9 users would like to thank HickvonFrick for this useful post:
  #19164  
Old 06.01.2021, 13:38
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 1,782
Groaned at 21 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 2,319 Times in 1,094 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
No
Considering the circumstances, try to get tested.
I did not connect to the forum because of Christmas break but also because a death in the family. This death was a bit like the show seconds from disaster: disasters don't just happen, they are a chain of critical events. The guy lived alone and spent 2 days alone borderline unconscious with high fever. Only after his brother called him and listened to him really bad, he was taken to the hospital. The covid19 diagnosis came fast but a few hours after being admitted and put a mask with oxygen he entered in a multi-organ failure because he lacked the regular medication for heart and diabetes problems. The doctors asked the brother, what are his medications? The brother did not know, the only guy who knew was intubated and sedated. So, the doctors made their best guess and somehow stabilized him, but he never woke up from this.

So, two lessons. When the fever arrives it may take away from you the capacity to ask for help, find someone to be regularly checking up on you. And if you're on long term medication for other stuff find a way to let other people know what are your problems and what medication you need.

Sorry for being a bit blunt, but this happened in the family 2 days after Christmas.

Last edited by Axa; 06.01.2021 at 13:51.
Reply With Quote
The following 10 users would like to thank Axa for this useful post:
  #19165  
Old 06.01.2021, 13:38
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ausserschwyz
Posts: 998
Groaned at 30 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 1,900 Times in 737 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
In London, something approaching herd immunity is pretty much inevitable now. That's one exit strategy. Perhaps not a desirable one!
That is not an exit strategy, but the end goal. Strategy is how you get there in the least painful way. If you are driving a truck down a slippery mountain, you don't let go off the brakes when the slope gets steeper.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank komsomolez for this useful post:
  #19166  
Old 06.01.2021, 13:42
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: LaCote
Posts: 642
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 1,078 Times in 422 Posts
Sigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
No

I hope too. I don't really have anything so far, apart from a super mild cough.

I am at home anyway. Not mixing with anyone. How are you now? Nothing bad happened?

As a goat herder I am always doing home office. Heating is almost always off, I don't like boiling but my PC etc do generate heat and keep the room warm, always have.

Well, if I have Crona or not, I still will be at home anyway. If it turns up positive then my stress level might go over the roof! I am already dealing with some chronic stuff.
Hubby had a slight cough so decided to go for a test - negative.
The weather is not helping....drink lots of yummy hot tea with honey.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Sigh for this useful post:
  #19167  
Old 06.01.2021, 13:42
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 29,733
Groaned at 2,105 Times in 1,572 Posts
Thanked 35,525 Times in 16,861 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I have a permanent chronic cough
Likewise, for at least ten years before Covid.

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #19168  
Old 06.01.2021, 13:43
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 19,420
Groaned at 413 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 19,377 Times in 10,407 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Really, get tested and then at least you will know.
Have an idea, the test is not conclusive either way.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #19169  
Old 06.01.2021, 13:43
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 321
Groaned at 24 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 720 Times in 353 Posts
leonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Not singling out our goat herder - but I get the impression lots of people don't really want to get confirmation as they don't want to stay 100% at home for 10 days.
I also think that people are hesitant to get tested, some probably don’t want to stay home and also send all their contacts in quarantine. I know a few people who went through a mild cold but decided not to get tested. They did stay at home though.
Reply With Quote
  #19170  
Old 06.01.2021, 13:44
Talk to you later's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: ZH
Posts: 789
Groaned at 42 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 1,427 Times in 559 Posts
Talk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Not singling out our goat herder - but I get the impression lots of people don't really want to get confirmation as they don't want to stay 100% at home for 10 days.
I actually love staying home plus I am at home, so not an issue with me. My situation currently is very complicated so avoiding any kind of stress.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Talk to you later for this useful post:
  #19171  
Old 06.01.2021, 13:46
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 1,241
Groaned at 28 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 1,677 Times in 867 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
That is not an exit strategy, but the end goal. Strategy is how you get there in the least painful way. If you are driving a truck down a slippery mountain, you don't let go off the brakes when the slope gets steeper.
In much of East London and South Essex approximately 1 in 30 has it at present and accelerating - despite really tough measures. A lot have already had it. Its not too far from the end game there.
Reply With Quote
  #19172  
Old 06.01.2021, 13:47
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 1,241
Groaned at 28 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 1,677 Times in 867 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
I actually love staying home plus I am at home, so not an issue with me. My situation currently is very complicated so avoiding any kind of stress.
Nobody can have any complaints if you are staying at home!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank HickvonFrick for this useful post:
  #19173  
Old 06.01.2021, 13:50
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ausserschwyz
Posts: 998
Groaned at 30 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 1,900 Times in 737 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
In much of East London and South Essex approximately 1 in 30 has it at present and accelerating - despite really tough measures. A lot have already had it. Its not too far from the end game there.
OK, probably you are right and it is too late there.

I am just wary of the argument I sometimes now hear that says "there is no stopping it anyhow, so just let it rip through". SVP (at least parts of it) requests that all essentially restrictions in Switzerland are lifted now, which strikes me as a mad strategy.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank komsomolez for this useful post:
  #19174  
Old 06.01.2021, 14:23
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Up there over the fog
Posts: 1,142
Groaned at 149 Times in 121 Posts
Thanked 1,396 Times in 669 Posts
JackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Yes, very interesting guy and worth watching. Well qualified too. What are your qualifications Clifton?

In the meantime, here is what the BMJ has to say

''Are children more susceptible to the new variant?

Yes, in comparison with the non-variant virus. Speaking at a press briefing, Neil Ferguson, director of the Medical Research Council’s Centre for Global Infectious Disease Analysis at Imperial College London and NERVTAG member, said that during the November lockdown in England there was a “general shift in the distribution of the virus towards children—for both the variant and the non-variant [virus].” This was expected, because of schools remaining open during the lockdown, he said, and among those aged under 15 there were slightly more cases of the variant virus in the community than the non-variant, though not significantly so.

But Barclay, who also sits on NERVTAG, said, “Let’s be clear. We’re not saying that this is a virus that specifically attacks children or is any more specific in its ability to infect children. But we know that SARS-CoV-2, as it emerged, was not as efficient at infecting children as it was adults. There are many hypotheses [as to why], but one is the expression of the ACE2 receptor that could be different in children. So if the [new variant] virus is having an easier time of finding and entering the cells, then that would put children on a more level playing field, if you like.”


Being concerned is hardly displaying hysteria. There are good reasons why Johnson has now closed all UK schools.

And yes, when you are beginning to lose family and friends, some 50 year olds- it is very worrying indeed- and I will not get my information for anonymous on EF.
So more red rep for this by Chuff. This is not my 'opinion' by a direct quote from the British Medical Journal. It is clear that different scientifc/medical bodies do not agree, and that the situtation is changing very fast. WHO has been clear, again, about the gap between Astra zeneca doses. Groan and red rep people's opinion if you wish, fair enough. But not quotes from serious, recognised, medical journals.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank JackieH for this useful post:
  #19175  
Old 06.01.2021, 14:30
Talk to you later's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: ZH
Posts: 789
Groaned at 42 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 1,427 Times in 559 Posts
Talk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
...drink lots of yummy hot tea with honey.
It is funny how with Corona in the background you dwell on slight cough when previously you would have just brushed it off!
The period between Dec 2019 and Feb 2020 I had the worst "Flu/Corona?" ever! I was visiting ZH airport a lot then. I had high fever, shivering...I was in bed with so many warm covers but still felt super cold. Then the cough took 3 months to go! Can't believe one year has already passed!


So what are the latest bunkering at home recommendations? Anything else I can do? I feel full of energy but still better to be prepared...

- I have plenty of Neo citrane at home.
- I drink hot water with lemon too.
- Vit C, D and Mg I have always taken.
- Extra sleep.

Anything else?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Talk to you later for this useful post:
  #19176  
Old 06.01.2021, 14:34
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Basel
Posts: 173
Groaned at 10 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 228 Times in 102 Posts
Polymath has a reputation beyond reputePolymath has a reputation beyond reputePolymath has a reputation beyond reputePolymath has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
Considering the circumstances, try to get tested.
I did not connect to the forum because of Christmas break but also because a death in the family. This death was a bit like the show seconds from disaster: disasters don't just happen, they are a chain of critical events. The guy lived alone and spent 2 days alone borderline unconscious with high fever. Only after his brother called him and listened to him really bad, he was taken to the hospital. The covid19 diagnosis came fast but a few hours after being admitted and put a mask with oxygen he entered in a multi-organ failure because he lacked the regular medication for heart and diabetes problems. The doctors asked the brother, what are his medications? The brother did not know, the only guy who knew was intubated and sedated. So, the doctors made their best guess and somehow stabilized him, but he never woke up from this.

So, two lessons. When the fever arrives it may take away from you the capacity to ask for help, find someone to be regularly checking up on you. And if you're on long term medication for other stuff find a way to let other people know what are your problems and what medication you need.

Sorry for being a bit blunt, but this happened in the family 2 days after Christmas.
I can share some valuable advice in relation to this. This applies to all readers of this forum, both young and old.

If you are a Swiss resident then there are some very important precautionary documents that you should prepare if you have not done so already.

These are:

Patientenverfügung (Advance Healthcare Directive)
There are two options for this, short and long version. This document specifies how you wish to be treated by medical care personnel in the event of incapacity etc. At the very least you should have the short version completed. Here is a link to the English short version:

https://www.fmh.ch/files/pdf23/fmh_pv_kv_2019_e-v1.pdf

Vorsorgeauftrag (Lasting Power of Attorney)
This is a very important document as it specifies the person(s) that you wish to take decisions on your behalf in the event of incapacity, including healthcare, management of assets, entering into contracts on your behalf etc. My understanding is that even if you are married the Kindes und Erwachsenenschutzbehörde (KESB) can intervene in important decision-making processes on your behalf if this document is not in place. To be valid, the document must be handwritten or notarised.

Testament
Lastly, it's important to have a valid Testament should you wish that your assets are bequeathed in a manner that deviates from law. Again this can be handwritten or notarised.

Of course the hope is that the Patientenverfügung and Vorsorgeauftrag will not be needed but it's important to have them nonetheless. Axa's post highlights that.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Polymath for this useful post:
  #19177  
Old 06.01.2021, 14:40
Pancakes's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Zurich-ish
Posts: 4,226
Groaned at 233 Times in 165 Posts
Thanked 8,610 Times in 3,271 Posts
Pancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond reputePancakes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
No

Well, if I have Corona or not, I will still be at home anyway. If it turns up positive then my stress level might go over the roof! I am already dealing with some chronic stuff.
You actually might feel very relieved once you do get tested, though. For one thing, you'll obviously feel relieved if the result is negative. But if it's positive, you might end up feeling relieved that your symptoms haven't become worse and that you will now develop antibodies.

I have been tested twice now -- once last July and once in November. I was nervous about the results but felt a huge sense of relief afterward -- just knowing whether or not I had the COVID virus (both tests came back negative). I just think it's important to know, I guess.

For the dry cough... If you have any honey, that can really help, because it coats your throat. I hope you're feeling much better very soon.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Pancakes for this useful post:
  #19178  
Old 06.01.2021, 14:40
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Up there over the fog
Posts: 1,142
Groaned at 149 Times in 121 Posts
Thanked 1,396 Times in 669 Posts
JackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Sorry to hear things are complicated at the moment - and we are all different. Personally, I'd rather be tested and know- and much higher stress not ot know. It sounds as if you could be on priority list for vaccination- so knowing if you have it could help with decision. And if, and hopefully only if... but ... you take a turn for the worse, you will know, and medical team will know.

All the best
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank JackieH for this useful post:
  #19179  
Old 06.01.2021, 14:42
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: LaCote
Posts: 642
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 1,078 Times in 422 Posts
Sigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
It is funny how with Corona in the background you dwell on slight cough when previously you would have just brushed it off!
The period between Dec 2019 and Feb 2020 I had the worst "Flu/Corona?" ever! I was visiting ZH airport a lot then. I had high fever, shivering...I was in bed with so many warm covers but still felt super cold. Then the cough took 3 months to go! Can't believe one year has already passed!


So what are the latest bunkering at home recommendations? Anything else I can do? I feel full of energy but still better to be prepared...

- I have plenty of Neo citrane at home.
- I drink hot water with lemon too.
- Vit C, D and Mg I have always taken.
- Extra sleep.

Anything else?
Relax your mind
Keep yourself occupied doing things you like
Maintain a good & healthy diet with the occasional treat
Lots of good books
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sigh for this useful post:
  #19180  
Old 06.01.2021, 14:44
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored²
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 16,014
Groaned at 340 Times in 235 Posts
Thanked 18,496 Times in 9,619 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
View Post
It is funny how with Corona in the background you dwell on slight cough when previously you would have just brushed it off!
The period between Dec 2019 and Feb 2020 I had the worst "Flu/Corona?" ever! I was visiting ZH airport a lot then. I had high fever, shivering...I was in bed with so many warm covers but still felt super cold. Then the cough took 3 months to go! Can't believe one year has already passed!


So what are the latest bunkering at home recommendations? Anything else I can do? I feel full of energy but still better to be prepared...

- I have plenty of Neo citrane at home.
- I drink hot water with lemon too.
- Vit C, D and Mg I have always taken.
- Extra sleep.

Anything else?
Bear milk.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
cold, corona, coronavirus, covid, covid-19, flu, health, medical, virus




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 13 (1 members and 12 guests)
hey_mr_crow
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0