Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 20.04.2020, 14:11
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: BaselStadt
Posts: 482
Groaned at 91 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 974 Times in 393 Posts
CodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Back to work, after covid-19

Quote:
View Post
....and the big one - we don’t discover that dogs transmit it to humans....
I've read some sh1te on this forum, in fact I've written a great deal of it, but this is at the extreme end of nonsense and scaremongering.

And you believe yourself to be amongst the EF 'elders' who's opinions carry from gravity, and you come out with this bilge.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank CodPeace for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 20.04.2020, 14:11
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,508
Groaned at 217 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 7,421 Times in 3,283 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Back to work, after covid-19

Quote:
View Post
But there is zero evidence that your dog can transmit the virus to a human or indeed be infected with it in the same way as humans.
In this case zero evidence just means the absence of knowledge - we know so little about this virus, that I would not really want the any of it as an absolute given.

First they thought ventilators were the way to go... now doctors are suggesting they are getting better outcomes from flooding the body with oxygen as was done with BoJo.

Antibody tests were supposed to be the way out of the lockdown, but it seems that there is difficulty in detecting the antibodies and in any case it seems some people are becoming infected again.

And then there is the mystery of the large numbers testing positive without symptoms and people testing negative but dying of the virus...

I think we are at the beginning of a very steep learning curve and don’t think you can take anything as gospel right now.
__________________
"There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living." - Nelson Mandela
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
The following 2 users groan at Jim2007 for this post:
  #23  
Old 20.04.2020, 14:13
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Back to work, after covid-19

Quote button in respect to Jim2007's ridiculous statement doesn't seem to be working.



The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) said that infectious disease experts and multiple international and domestic human and animal health organizations, all agree there is no evidence at this point to indicate that pets become ill with Covid-19 or that they spread it to other animals, including people.

These include the Paris-based World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE) and the U.S.’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention which have also both stated that there is no evidence that companion animals such as cats and dogs can spread the virus. “Therefore, there is no justification in taking measures against companion animals which may compromise their welfare,” the OIE said.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 20.04.2020, 14:14
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 4,508
Groaned at 217 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 7,421 Times in 3,283 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Back to work, after covid-19

Quote:
View Post
I've read some sh1te on this forum, in fact I've written a great deal of it, but this is at the extreme end of nonsense and scaremongering.

And you believe yourself to be amongst the EF 'elders' who's opinions carry from gravity, and you come out with this bilge.
Your perception of the world is entirely in your hands.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 20.04.2020, 14:16
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Back to work, after covid-19

Quote:
View Post
Quote button in respect to Jim2007's ridiculous statement doesn't seem to be working.



The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) said that infectious disease experts and multiple international and domestic human and animal health organizations, all agree there is no evidence at this point to indicate that pets become ill with Covid-19 or that they spread it to other animals, including people.

These include the Paris-based World Organisation for Animal Health (OIE) and the U.S.’s Centers for Disease Control and Prevention which have also both stated that there is no evidence that companion animals such as cats and dogs can spread the virus. “Therefore, there is no justification in taking measures against companion animals which may compromise their welfare,” the OIE said.
Tiger Nadia disagrees with those experts.

But dogs would be a new one, Tigers are known to catch several diseases from humans.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 20.04.2020, 14:18
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: BaselStadt
Posts: 482
Groaned at 91 Times in 42 Posts
Thanked 974 Times in 393 Posts
CodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond reputeCodPeace has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Back to work, after covid-19

Oh my word, this thread has attracted the extreme hand wringers as well!
"We must do nothing"
"We do not know enough"

Last edited by CodPeace; 20.04.2020 at 14:20. Reason: I'm off back to work.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 20.04.2020, 14:23
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 15,792
Groaned at 524 Times in 416 Posts
Thanked 23,301 Times in 9,417 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Back to work, after covid-19

Quote:
View Post
Oh my word, this thread has attracted the extreme hand wringers as well!
"We must do nothing"
"We do not know enough
"
I think it's more a case of "We do not know enough" so we should take sensible precautions, rather than "Do nothing".
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #28  
Old 20.04.2020, 14:35
Blueangel's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Küsnacht, Switzerland
Posts: 4,027
Groaned at 116 Times in 103 Posts
Thanked 10,802 Times in 4,754 Posts
Blueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond reputeBlueangel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Back to work, after covid-19

The one and only person I know who isn't currently working in her usual role, is a dental hygienist, but she's still going in a couple of days a week to assist with dental emergencies and the surgery scrub down and disinfect after each appointment.

In our little corner of the country, it's like nothing's changed that much because we're on a busy main road. Weekends are still like a scene from Easyrider with all the bikers out. There's still lots of building work going on and gardeners landscaping. I've seen staff going into a certain closed hardware place to water the plants, rotate stock and deep clean the store. I was chatting to one of the staff on day 1 of the lockdown when I passed after taking the recycling out, and he said they need to maintain the place so won't be at home all the time. One of my neighbours is still working odd days at the airport as well as from home, and another is going into work 3 days a week and working 2 from home.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 20.04.2020, 14:36
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 7,812
Groaned at 91 Times in 72 Posts
Thanked 11,961 Times in 4,859 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Back to work, after covid-19

Quote:
View Post
In reality it is people who spend most of their working day at a desk who have been able to convert to home working. This excludes hairdressers, manicurists, physios and chiropractors, dental hygienists, yoga/dance teachers, piano teachers, personal trainers, mountain guides, cleaners, dog walkers and dog trainers, babysitters etc etc. How many of them are self-employed? That is off the top of my head and by no means exhaustive.
Yes. Also psycholgists. And psychiatric nurses who do home-visits (so-called Psycho-Spitex).

Here are two petitions, asking of the Federal health authorities (Bundesamt für Gesundheit) to authorise that these two professions will be allowed to bill (to the medical insurance) consultations they hold by phone. At the moment, they are not allowed to do so.

Depending upon the respective current health and/or risk group of the service provider and/or of the patient, the rules have now left a huge gap in the care needed by vulnerable people. The patients need the care, the psychologists and psychiatric nurses are willing to speak to them on the phone or by skype. But there is no financial cover by the medical insurances, which means that any patient making use of this service would have pay the bill out of their own pocket. And these nurses and psychologists are having to get by without a large part of their income, even though they could be working, if only they were allowed to bill for phonecalls.

Psychiatrische Spitex soll während der COVID 19 - Krise weiter bezahlt werden
https://secure.avaaz.org/de/communit...rm=BwsGcb%2Bde

Psychologische Psychotherapie während der Coronakrise gestrichen, das darf nicht sein!
https://secure.avaaz.org/de/communit...ichen/?tBwsGcb
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 20.04.2020, 21:32
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 11,143
Groaned at 87 Times in 83 Posts
Thanked 18,854 Times in 8,395 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Back to work, after covid-19

Quote:
View Post
The actual number spent or the number set aside for the crisis? 60B CHF set aside, money that didn't fall from the sky as Parmelin said.
If you believe the Hollywood movies, it's all buried under the Bundesplatz, not up in the sky.

(sorry, couldn't resist)
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 21.04.2020, 09:25
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bern
Posts: 1,798
Groaned at 288 Times in 180 Posts
Thanked 3,581 Times in 1,277 Posts
Susie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Back to work, after covid-19

My soulless corporation has asked that 25% of the workforce come back to the office on April 27th, despite us all having desk jobs and being able to work from home full time. Since I work with mainly corporate goons, they are all fighting for their spot. Face masks are encouraged, elevator use discouraged (despite working on the 15 & 16 floors), temperatures must be checked each day and hands must be sanitized when changing floors. They are also encouraging us to get the antibody test, but promise that if we are shown to have them, the results won't force us to return to the office.

I hope I can manage to stay in my cosy home as long as possible.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 21.04.2020, 09:30
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,081
Groaned at 366 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 13,937 Times in 6,500 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Back to work, after covid-19

Quote:
View Post
My soulless corporation has asked that 25% of the workforce come back to the office on April 27th, despite us all having desk jobs and being able to work from home full time. Since I work with mainly corporate goons, they are all fighting for their spot. Face masks are encouraged, elevator use discouraged (despite working on the 15 & 16 floors), temperatures must be checked each day and hands must be sanitized when changing floors. They are also encouraging us to get the antibody test, but promise that if we are shown to have them, the results won't force us to return to the office.

I hope I can manage to stay in my cosy home as long as possible.

Similar company here........ we all had to come back as from April 14....... no temperature check, sanitizer available but no enforcement of using that.


Still working from home as my GP got me the piece of paper and they cannot ignore that one from the BAG.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #33  
Old 21.04.2020, 09:50
sonnenhund's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Aargau
Posts: 34
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 40 Times in 11 Posts
sonnenhund has earned some respectsonnenhund has earned some respect
Re: Back to work, after covid-19

Quote:
View Post
My soulless corporation has asked that 25% of the workforce come back to the office on April 27th, despite us all having desk jobs and being able to work from home full time. Since I work with mainly corporate goons, they are all fighting for their spot. Face masks are encouraged, elevator use discouraged (despite working on the 15 & 16 floors), temperatures must be checked each day and hands must be sanitized when changing floors. They are also encouraging us to get the antibody test, but promise that if we are shown to have them, the results won't force us to return to the office.

I hope I can manage to stay in my cosy home as long as possible.
One hopes that this experience changes the culture so that those who can work from home are generally allowed, if not outright encouraged, to do so.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank sonnenhund for this useful post:
  #34  
Old 21.04.2020, 09:51
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bern
Posts: 1,798
Groaned at 288 Times in 180 Posts
Thanked 3,581 Times in 1,277 Posts
Susie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Back to work, after covid-19

Quote:
View Post
Still working from home as my GP got me the piece of paper and they cannot ignore that one from the BAG.
On a team call now where several people are mentioning that it is directly against BAG recommendations...unbelievable. My boss is a doctor who proudly proclaimed that she has been on public transport and it has been empty, so should be safe for me.

Quote:
View Post
One hopes that this experience changes the culture so that those who can work from home are generally allowed, if not outright encouraged, to do so.
You would think so, but our leaders have already communicated that it's not possible. Hopefully I can find a new job sooner than later, market will be extra tight now.

Last edited by Susie-Q; 21.04.2020 at 10:14.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Susie-Q for this useful post:
  #35  
Old 21.04.2020, 10:31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 428
Groaned at 47 Times in 39 Posts
Thanked 973 Times in 486 Posts
John William has a reputation beyond reputeJohn William has a reputation beyond reputeJohn William has a reputation beyond reputeJohn William has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Back to work, after covid-19

Following a recent Cobra meeting the UK has decided that it will 'not be 'outdone' by some European countries
who are beginning to emerge from lockdown this week and have told 'the Cybermen' they can return to
work this week.

Name:  Cybermen.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  83.4 KB
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 21.04.2020, 10:32
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 2,930
Groaned at 37 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 3,944 Times in 1,830 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Back to work, after covid-19

My wife got an email reply for a CV she sent back on 2014. They're asking if she can start to work once the restrictions are lifted.

On one hand, never despair, that CV may yield results 6 year after On the other hand, the virus is shifting the job market.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Axa for this useful post:
  #37  
Old 21.04.2020, 10:40
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,299
Groaned at 294 Times in 223 Posts
Thanked 19,011 Times in 6,630 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Back to work, after covid-19

Quote:
View Post
My wife got an email reply for a CV she sent back on 2014. They're asking if she can start to work once the restrictions are lifted.

On one hand, never despair, that CV may yield results 6 year after On the other hand, the virus is shifting the job market.
That company must have awesome data protection policies
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #38  
Old 21.04.2020, 11:19
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 2,930
Groaned at 37 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 3,944 Times in 1,830 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Back to work, after covid-19

Quote:
View Post
That company must have awesome data protection policies
hahahahaha, indeed, GDPR and all that. They should have 10-12 employees no more.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 26.04.2020, 07:24
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Back to work, after covid-19

Quote:
View Post
That reminds to be seen... so long as you clean all common surfaces and the big one - we don’t discover that dogs transmit it to humans.... we already know dogs can catch the virus.
The Hong Kong data combined with the health of the infected animals is at least strongly suggestive the risk is minimal. https://www.info.gov.hk/gia/general/...htm?fontSize=1. Obviously take normal precautions,m!

Last edited by jorido; 26.04.2020 at 07:40.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 26.04.2020, 07:47
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,975
Groaned at 2,037 Times in 1,121 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Back to work, after covid-19

Quote:
View Post
I've read some sh1te on this forum, in fact I've written a great deal of it, but this is at the extreme end of nonsense and scaremongering.

And you believe yourself to be amongst the EF 'elders' who's opinions carry from gravity, and you come out with this bilge.
They also say you can get it simply through eye contact. Which explains why people wont look at you directly in the eyes these days!
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coron-19 a good thing markalex Daily life 183 04.05.2020 07:27
Work --> Education --> Back to Work? Stealth Permits/visas/government 5 09.10.2014 18:08
Work accident insurance will not pay for back accident, but to previous back problem vada Insurance 4 16.01.2014 13:35
Moving for temp work for 6 months to CH then back to Germany to work medicine man Finance/banking/taxation 1 20.03.2012 16:32
Back at work after maternity leave and baby is sick (2nd day at work) - what do I do? Petruskin Employment 9 05.06.2011 23:40


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:10.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0