English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Daily life (https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-life/)
-   -   Back to work, after covid-19 (https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-life/297727-back-work-after-covid-19-a.html)

markalex 20.04.2020 07:33

Back to work, after covid-19
 
I was reflecting today as I walked the dog. A meeting the other day in Switzerland to ask about getting everyone back to work...

And I was wondering who isn't actually working...

Sure, the airport/airlines & the tourist industry; the shops [although the most essential ones are working and have never stopped].

Factories here and there of which there aren't so many en Suisse? Maybe labs, but I am not sure..

Everyone else is working, from home. Who on EF is not working?

omtatsat 20.04.2020 07:54

Re: Back to work, after coron-19
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by markalex (Post 3173341)
I was reflecting today as I walked the dog. A meeting the other day in Switzerland to ask about getting everyone back to work...

And I was wondering who isn't actually working...

Sure, the airport/airlines & the tourist industry; the shops [although the most essential ones are working and have never stopped].

Factories here and there of which there aren't so many en Suisse? Maybe labs, but I am not sure..

Everyone else is working, from home. Who on EF is not working?

I'm not working

markalex 20.04.2020 08:06

Re: Back to work, after coron-19
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by omtatsat (Post 3173343)
I'm not working

Ok, but were you working before the lockdown ...

omtatsat 20.04.2020 08:23

Re: Back to work, after coron-19
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by markalex (Post 3173345)
Ok, but were you working before the lockdown ...

No. I'm retired:D

But there are thousands in Zürich who don't work now.

meloncollie 20.04.2020 08:30

Re: Back to work, after covid-19
 
I couldn't find updated figures, but this from SwissInfo references SECO stats that as of 4 April 1.3 million workers - that's about a quarter of the workforce - were registered for Kurzarbeit.

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/covid-1...rland/45592192

---

Those able to work from home perhaps forget that they generally are a very privileged group.

omtatsat 20.04.2020 08:33

Re: Back to work, after coron-19
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by markalex (Post 3173345)
Ok, but were you working before the lockdown ...

But I used to work in the "high risk industry"

gipfelisturmer 20.04.2020 09:36

Re: Back to work, after covid-19
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by meloncollie (Post 3173347)
I couldn't find updated figures, but this from SwissInfo references SECO stats that as of 4 April 1.3 million workers - that's about a quarter of the workforce - were registered for Kurzarbeit.

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/covid-1...rland/45592192

---

Those able to work from home perhaps forget that they generally are a very privileged group.

Wow that is indeed quite a high number.
But still that doesn't have to mean those people are "out of work", at least according to what "Kurzarbeit" directly translates to (perhaps "shortened work hours")?
I couldn't find that statistic on the website you linked - can you share where did you see it?
Thanks

Here are the stats from the seco.admin.ch website - "only" 0.4% unemployment rate increase is forecasted (as compared to those of Dec 19; of course, forecasts are hard at this time)

https://www.seco.admin.ch/seco/en/ho...tabellen_e.gif

meloncollie 20.04.2020 09:57

Re: Back to work, after covid-19
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dbucar (Post 3173361)
I couldn't find that statistic on the website you linked - can you share where did you see it?
Thanks

Scroll to the second to last section, titled 'Financial relief measures':

Partial unemployment claims have increased sharply due to the pandemic and are expected to continue to rise. As of April 4, almost a quarter of the Swiss working population (1.3 million people) were on short-time work, according to SECO.

Guest 20.04.2020 10:28

Re: Back to work, after covid-19
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by markalex (Post 3173341)
And I was wondering who isn't actually working...

Sure, the airport/airlines & the tourist industry; the shops [although the most essential ones are working and have never stopped].

Factories here and there of which there aren't so many en Suisse? Maybe labs, but I am not sure..

Everyone else is working, from home. Who on EF is not working?

Bars/Restaurants/Clubs/Cinema's/Bowling center/Zoo/Events/Congress centers/Market/Logopedists/Physiotherapists/Barbers etc..

And other sectors like building sector are partially shut-down

It all quickly amounts to a huge group of people, as for unemployment forecasts most of these people can go to work the day their restriction is lifted, tho some might take a long lasting serious hit like tourist sector.

zuzi666 20.04.2020 11:17

Re: Back to work, after covid-19
 
Pharma Production is working in the whole of Switzerland. everyone has only reorganized and maybe benefits were shown after this reorganization:cool:

I am working 100% but only because I am in notice period. my team is in short work

yacek 20.04.2020 11:18

Re: Back to work, after covid-19
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by meloncollie (Post 3173366)
Scroll to the second to last section, titled 'Financial relief measures':

Partial unemployment claims have increased sharply due to the pandemic and are expected to continue to rise. As of April 4, almost a quarter of the Swiss working population (1.3 million people) were on short-time work, according to SECO.

Some don't work at all while some work but less than before and only the other part is covered by the state.
I could not find a whole-Switzerland stats on how much in total is paid out.

Guest 20.04.2020 11:24

Re: Back to work, after covid-19
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by markalex (Post 3173341)
I was reflecting today as I walked the dog. A meeting the other day in Switzerland to ask about getting everyone back to work...

And I was wondering who isn't actually working...

Sure, the airport/airlines & the tourist industry; the shops [although the most essential ones are working and have never stopped].

Factories here and there of which there aren't so many en Suisse? Maybe labs, but I am not sure..

Everyone else is working, from home. Who on EF is not working?


In reality it is people who spend most of their working day at a desk who have been able to convert to home working. This excludes hairdressers, manicurists, physios and chiropractors, dental hygienists, yoga/dance teachers, piano teachers, personal trainers, mountain guides, cleaners, dog walkers and dog trainers, babysitters etc etc. How many of them are self-employed? That is off the top of my head and by no means exhaustive. OP has only to walk or imagine the shopping districts of Zurich, Luzern, Basel etc to understand that the majority of shops are classed as non-essential so remain closed.

A question for OP - Are you working from home and, if not, were you working before the lockdown

V__ 20.04.2020 11:24

Re: Back to work, after covid-19
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by yacek (Post 3173404)
Some don't work at all while some work but less than before and only the other part is covered by the state.
I could not find a whole-Switzerland stats on how much in total is paid out.

The actual number spent or the number set aside for the crisis? 60B CHF set aside, money that didn't fall from the sky as Parmelin said.

CodPeace 20.04.2020 11:36

Re: Back to work, after covid-19
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Dog (Post 3173407)
This excludes ..... dog walkers and dog trainers.......

Thankfully my dog walker is still working at 100%.
She no longer comes into the apt though, the harness and lead (for her use only, I have another set) are on the landing, and she opens the door and calls the dog.
As long as the correct distancing is observed, neither of us is at risk.

Guest 20.04.2020 12:25

Re: Back to work, after covid-19
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CodPeace (Post 3173412)
Thankfully my dog walker is still working at 100%.
She no longer comes into the apt though, the harness and lead (for her use only, I have another set) are on the landing, and she opens the door and calls the dog.
As long as the correct distancing is observed, neither of us is at risk.


Unfortunately, my dog trainer can no longer come to us and, while I spend time training him every day, I miss having another person for him to work with. My son and I are the only ones to have ever walked him, not that he likes one of us to stay at home, and there isn't a chance that he would go with anyone else. He had a complete melt down when he realised that under new rules I wasn't allowed in to see the vet with him!

Tom1234 20.04.2020 12:26

Re: Back to work, after covid-19
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CodPeace (Post 3173412)
Thankfully my dog walker is still working at 100%.
She no longer comes into the apt though, the harness and lead (for her use only, I have another set) are on the landing, and she opens the door and calls the dog.
As long as the correct distancing is observed, neither of us is at risk.

It's not just that.

If she had corona-virus and you touched the door handle that she had just touched then you could be contaminated.

That's the problem - it's not just social distancing that needs to be observed but strict hygiene measures too.

CodPeace 20.04.2020 12:35

Re: Back to work, after covid-19
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom1234 (Post 3173427)
It's not just that.
If she had corona-virus and you touched the door handle that she had just touched then you could be contaminated.


That's the problem - it's not just social distancing that needs to be observed but strict hygiene measures too.


Good point! I'm petty sure she is as paranoid as anyone else is, but I'll start disinfecting the touch points.

yacek 20.04.2020 12:49

Re: Back to work, after covid-19
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CodPeace (Post 3173430)
Good point! I'm petty sure she is as paranoid as anyone else is, but I'll start disinfecting the touch points.

The dog might contract it as well :-)

Guest 20.04.2020 12:55

Re: Back to work, after covid-19
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by yacek (Post 3173439)
The dog might contract it as well :-)


But there is zero evidence that your dog can transmit the virus to a human or indeed be infected with it in the same way as humans. A great deal of stupidity and scaremongering by idiots on the internet has resulted in shelters being overrun because stupid people are throwing away their pets

Jim2007 20.04.2020 13:55

Re: Back to work, after covid-19
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by CodPeace (Post 3173412)
Thankfully my dog walker is still working at 100%.
She no longer comes into the apt though, the harness and lead (for her use only, I have another set) are on the landing, and she opens the door and calls the dog.
As long as the correct distancing is observed, neither of us is at risk.

That reminds to be seen... so long as you clean all common surfaces and the big one - we don’t discover that dogs transmit it to humans.... we already know dogs can catch the virus.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:59.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0