English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Daily life (https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-life/)
-   -   Driving Standards (https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-life/297759-driving-standards.html)

DCI Taggart 21.04.2020 18:40

Driving Standards
 
Don't get me wrong I think the roads are very safe here.

However what is it with the following:

People reversing while you are reversing and not looking in their mirror. And when you challenge them they take massive offence.

People walking behind you as you're reversing and not waiting.

Drivers in a 60 doing 45 or 50.....

No thank you, raised hands, when you let people out.

When you flash people at junctions to come out... they don't immediatly respond and hesitate?

Spinal 21.04.2020 18:45

Re: Driving Standards
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DCI Taggart (Post 3174016)
People walking behind you as you're reversing and not waiting.

Onus is on the driver to stop and wait...


Quote:

Originally Posted by DCI Taggart (Post 3174016)
Drivers in a 60 doing 45 or 50.....

Have you seen the speeding fines/jailtime here?


Quote:

Originally Posted by DCI Taggart (Post 3174016)
No thank you, raised hands, when you let people out.

It's a duty to let people out :p


Quote:

Originally Posted by DCI Taggart (Post 3174016)
When you flash people at junctions to come out... they don't immediatly respond and hesitate?

This one is cultural. In some countries (Italy, Italian speaking Switzerland as well), flashing your lights means "stop and wait, I'm going first".


There's a learning curve. Took me a while to get over the Germanic way of doing roundabouts - like most BMW drivers in the UK, you don't indicate except when you leave the roundabout. Sometimes. If you feel like it. and if your BMW has the "indicators" optional feature.

MusicChick 21.04.2020 18:49

Re: Driving Standards
 
I don't drive here. Problem solved. :D

hairybadger 21.04.2020 18:52

Re: Driving Standards
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicChick (Post 3174021)
I don't drive here. Problem solved. :D

We thank the Lord for small mercies :msntongue:

MusicChick 21.04.2020 19:02

Re: Driving Standards
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hairybadger (Post 3174022)
We thank the Lord for small mercies :msntongue:

How do you know :msnsarcastic::D

Well, if you need a bit of extra adrenaline, you know how to find it. :thumbsup:

bowlie 21.04.2020 19:04

Re: Driving Standards
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spinal (Post 3174019)
This one is cultural. In some countries (Italy, Italian speaking Switzerland as well), flashing your lights means "stop and wait, I'm going first".

The suisse romande (and frontaliers) as well, flashing your lights means ‘up your’s bar steward’

Quote:

There's a learning curve. Took me a while to get over the Germanic way of doing roundabouts.
Never, ever, ever, not even once, believe what people are signalling. I’ve seen people signal left and proceed straight, signal right and have gone left. Most times they don’t signal at all. No they are not going to do what they are signalling that they are going to do.

starDeMer 21.04.2020 19:17

Re: Driving Standards
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DCI Taggart (Post 3174016)
People reversing while you are reversing and not looking in their mirror.

Do they have a camera at the back of the car?

Guest 21.04.2020 19:27

Re: Driving Standards
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DCI Taggart (Post 3174016)
Don't get me wrong I think the roads are very safe here.

However what is it with the following:

People reversing while you are reversing and not looking in their mirror. And when you challenge them they take massive offence.

People walking behind you as you're reversing and not waiting.

Drivers in a 60 doing 45 or 50.....

No thank you, raised hands, when you let people out.

When you flash people at junctions to come out... they don't immediatly respond and hesitate?


The speed li it is the maximum authorised, but in any case you need to adapt your speed as per prevailing conditions.


See what happens when you pass a school at kick out time, try driving at 50 in a 50 limit around the school and see what happens.....

Axa 21.04.2020 19:35

Re: Driving Standards
 
People reversing while you are reversing and not looking in their mirror......I wouldn't expect anything from people with this low level of spatial awareness. Not looking into their mirrors already told you they're idiots. No need to do a validation test by challenging them.

People walking behind you as you're reversing and not waiting: the driver is liable for anything that happens. I'd never walk behind a car reversing but that's me, cannot rely on the good judgement on others.

Drivers in a 60 doing 45 or 50: We make others wait all the time, willingly or not. For example I wait behind all econobox drivers, trucks and public transport in climbs because they never drive at the limit. Same for highway ramps, stoplights; I drive slower behind almost everyone. I don't expect a medal but a little bit of patience when I drive in unknown city centers when I'm doing 40 instead of 50 cause following the GPS instructions or anything that takes your attention away from the road.

When you flash people at junctions to come out... they don't immediately respond and hesitate? If you go first drive, if they go first let them pass. The polite thing is to be consistent in respecting the signs: stops, triangles and dashed lines markings on the road.

ormesome 21.04.2020 20:10

Re: Driving Standards
 
The roundabout non-indicating thing is really annoying. It happens all over the world though. Tailgating is the worst for me. Invariably it’s usually some expat, driving with his seat reclined as far as possible, one hand on the top of the steering wheel, inches from my chuf! Nearly always a Mercedes or an older Audi

Medea Fleecestealer 21.04.2020 20:25

Re: Driving Standards
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bowlie (Post 3174026)
The suisse romande (and frontaliers) as well, flashing your lights means ‘up your’s bar steward’

Can't say that applies in my part of suisse romande. Here if someone flashes you it's usually to let you out into a queue of cars.

k_and_e 21.04.2020 20:38

Re: Driving Standards
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DCI Taggart (Post 3174016)
Don't get me wrong I think the roads are very safe here.

However what is it with the following:

People reversing while you are reversing and not looking in their mirror. And when you challenge them they take massive offence.

People walking behind you as you're reversing and not waiting.

Drivers in a 60 doing 45 or 50.....

No thank you, raised hands, when you let people out.

When you flash people at junctions to come out... they don't immediatly respond and hesitate?

In a normal situation I would tell you to stop whining but your post is now actually a welcome distraction from Corona.

lost_inbroad 21.04.2020 20:39

Re: Driving Standards
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DCI Taggart (Post 3174016)
Don't get me wrong I think the roads are very safe here.

However what is it with the following:

People reversing while you are reversing and not looking in their mirror. And when you challenge them they take massive offence.

People walking behind you as you're reversing and not waiting.

Drivers in a 60 doing 45 or 50.....

No thank you, raised hands, when you let people out.

When you flash people at junctions to come out... they don't immediatly respond and hesitate?

The roads here are absolute garbage. For one, there is a constant change in speed limit on the highway. Then somebody had the grand idea to plant a roundabout on every possible place where no roundabout is necessary. There is the mandatory pedestrian crossing after each roundabout, so that it is an absolute given, that traffic flow will be disrupted. What else, let's see. Oh yeah, the traffic lights are located what seems to be level with a midget's crotch; this is to ensure that the first 3 drivers waiting in line get to crack their vertebrae while trying to spot the green light. Other fantastic brainfarts are: no overtaking on the right, so that there is a queue formed on the left lane. Radars located where they're not meant to enhance drivers' and pedestrians' safety. Random right of way coming from the right. . .there's a whole main road in Zurich plastered with stop signs and traffic lights except for one side street because it is fun to keep people on their toes. Pheew, that felt good. :)

MusicChick 21.04.2020 20:47

Re: Driving Standards
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ormesome (Post 3174050)
The roundabout non-indicating thing is really annoying. It happens all over the world though. Tailgating is the worst for me. Invariably it’s usually some expat..

Noooo. Not in here.

bowlie 21.04.2020 21:03

Re: Driving Standards
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by lost_inbroad (Post 3174061)
The roads here are absolute garbage. For one, there is a constant change in speed limit on the highway. Then somebody had the grand idea to plant a roundabout on every possible place where no roundabout is necessary. There is the mandatory pedestrian crossing after each roundabout, so that it is an absolute given, that traffic flow will be disrupted. What else, let's see. Oh yeah, the traffic lights are located what seems to be level with a midget's crotch; this is to ensure that the first 3 drivers waiting in line get to crack their vertebrae while trying to spot the green light. Other fantastic brainfarts are: no overtaking on the right, so that there is a queue formed on the left lane. Radars located where they're not meant to enhance drivers' and pedestrians' safety. Random right of way coming from the right. . .there's a whole main road in Zurich plastered with stop signs and traffic lights except for one side street because it is fun to keep people on their toes. Pheew, that felt good. :)

The objective is to slow trafic flows. They want you to take public transport. I rarely go into Geneva anymore, but when I do I take the bus, train, bus/tram.

NotAllThere 21.04.2020 22:04

Re: Driving Standards
 
I have radar and make other drivers and pedestrians very nervous sometimes when I'm manoeuvering.

Strange though - my daughter and my daughter-in-law have managed to reverse into various things, despite the radar. :rolleyes:

hairybadger 21.04.2020 22:59

Re: Driving Standards
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotAllThere (Post 3174106)
I have radar and make other drivers and pedestrians very nervous sometimes when I'm manoeuvering.

You're using it as attack radar. This wasn't the design goal, old bean.

MusicChick 21.04.2020 23:02

Re: Driving Standards
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotAllThere (Post 3174106)
I have radar and make other drivers and pedestrians very nervous sometimes when I'm manoeuvering.

Strange though - my daughter and my daughter-in-law have managed to reverse into various things, despite the radar. :rolleyes:

Is it their subtle hint for you to get a new vehicle?

I ended up in a goose pond. Not reversing. And on a motorbike.

mikedragos 21.04.2020 23:31

Re: Driving Standards
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bowlie (Post 3174075)
The objective is to slow trafic flows. They want you to take public transport. I rarely go into Geneva anymore, but when I do I take the bus, train, bus/tram.


Precisely. Complete idiots in Geneva. Every possible street, left/right turn is now changed into one way, or forbidden. For example, turning left to the side street that would decongest the main artery and was used by people for years is now forbidden. Why? so that there would be more jam in the main artery. And then the cream on the cake - the red light before the intersection is now twice as long as before with no purpose other than to create even worse traffic jam. And then the idiots come up with smog stickers - well, let the traffic flow normally and surely there would be less pollution than when creating artificial jams. Or maybe you want even more polution? Ok then.

The point I disagree with you is then on the public transport. On the contrary,
I enjoy their fake jams by spending more time in the car and listening to a great music or some nice talk show. 5 years ago I would get back from my work to home (some 600m distance) in less than 2 minutes, now takes me 10-15 minutes (pre-Corona times). And I don't mind at all.

Keep doing it, Genevoise.

hairybadger 21.04.2020 23:35

Re: Driving Standards
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikedragos (Post 3174120)
The point I disagree with you is then on the public transport. On the contrary,
I enjoy their fake jams by spending more time in the car and listening to a great music or some nice talk show. 5 years ago I would get back from my work to home (some 600m distance) in less than 2 minutes, now takes me 10-15 minutes (pre-Corona times). And I don't mind at all.

Keep doing it, Genevoise.

I may be walking into a minefield here but wouldn't it be quicker to walk? 600m? Certainly cheaper.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:27.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0