Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 21.04.2020, 18:40
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Zurich
Posts: 18
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
DCI Taggart has no particular reputation at present
Driving Standards

Don't get me wrong I think the roads are very safe here.

However what is it with the following:

People reversing while you are reversing and not looking in their mirror. And when you challenge them they take massive offence.

People walking behind you as you're reversing and not waiting.

Drivers in a 60 doing 45 or 50.....

No thank you, raised hands, when you let people out.

When you flash people at junctions to come out... they don't immediatly respond and hesitate?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank DCI Taggart for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 21.04.2020, 18:45
Spinal's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,336
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,311 Times in 572 Posts
Spinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving Standards

Quote:
View Post
People walking behind you as you're reversing and not waiting.
Onus is on the driver to stop and wait...


Quote:
View Post
Drivers in a 60 doing 45 or 50.....
Have you seen the speeding fines/jailtime here?


Quote:
View Post
No thank you, raised hands, when you let people out.
It's a duty to let people out


Quote:
View Post
When you flash people at junctions to come out... they don't immediatly respond and hesitate?
This one is cultural. In some countries (Italy, Italian speaking Switzerland as well), flashing your lights means "stop and wait, I'm going first".


There's a learning curve. Took me a while to get over the Germanic way of doing roundabouts - like most BMW drivers in the UK, you don't indicate except when you leave the roundabout. Sometimes. If you feel like it. and if your BMW has the "indicators" optional feature.
Reply With Quote
The following 9 users would like to thank Spinal for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 21.04.2020, 18:49
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored²
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,292
Groaned at 395 Times in 271 Posts
Thanked 19,996 Times in 10,412 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving Standards

I don't drive here. Problem solved.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 21.04.2020, 18:52
hairybadger's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Geneva area
Posts: 544
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 751 Times in 302 Posts
hairybadger has a reputation beyond reputehairybadger has a reputation beyond reputehairybadger has a reputation beyond reputehairybadger has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving Standards

Quote:
View Post
I don't drive here. Problem solved.
We thank the Lord for small mercies
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank hairybadger for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 21.04.2020, 19:02
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored²
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,292
Groaned at 395 Times in 271 Posts
Thanked 19,996 Times in 10,412 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving Standards

Quote:
View Post
We thank the Lord for small mercies
How do you know

Well, if you need a bit of extra adrenaline, you know how to find it.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 21.04.2020, 19:04
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 4,890
Groaned at 247 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 6,666 Times in 3,135 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving Standards

Quote:
View Post
This one is cultural. In some countries (Italy, Italian speaking Switzerland as well), flashing your lights means "stop and wait, I'm going first".
The suisse romande (and frontaliers) as well, flashing your lights means ‘up your’s bar steward’

Quote:
There's a learning curve. Took me a while to get over the Germanic way of doing roundabouts.
Never, ever, ever, not even once, believe what people are signalling. I’ve seen people signal left and proceed straight, signal right and have gone left. Most times they don’t signal at all. No they are not going to do what they are signalling that they are going to do.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank bowlie for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 21.04.2020, 19:17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Brunnen
Posts: 422
Groaned at 12 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 207 Times in 126 Posts
starDeMer has an excellent reputationstarDeMer has an excellent reputationstarDeMer has an excellent reputationstarDeMer has an excellent reputation
Re: Driving Standards

Quote:
View Post
People reversing while you are reversing and not looking in their mirror.
Do they have a camera at the back of the car?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank starDeMer for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 21.04.2020, 19:27
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Driving Standards

Quote:
View Post
Don't get me wrong I think the roads are very safe here.

However what is it with the following:

People reversing while you are reversing and not looking in their mirror. And when you challenge them they take massive offence.

People walking behind you as you're reversing and not waiting.

Drivers in a 60 doing 45 or 50.....

No thank you, raised hands, when you let people out.

When you flash people at junctions to come out... they don't immediatly respond and hesitate?

The speed li it is the maximum authorised, but in any case you need to adapt your speed as per prevailing conditions.


See what happens when you pass a school at kick out time, try driving at 50 in a 50 limit around the school and see what happens.....
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 21.04.2020, 19:35
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 2,930
Groaned at 37 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 3,944 Times in 1,830 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving Standards

People reversing while you are reversing and not looking in their mirror......I wouldn't expect anything from people with this low level of spatial awareness. Not looking into their mirrors already told you they're idiots. No need to do a validation test by challenging them.

People walking behind you as you're reversing and not waiting: the driver is liable for anything that happens. I'd never walk behind a car reversing but that's me, cannot rely on the good judgement on others.

Drivers in a 60 doing 45 or 50: We make others wait all the time, willingly or not. For example I wait behind all econobox drivers, trucks and public transport in climbs because they never drive at the limit. Same for highway ramps, stoplights; I drive slower behind almost everyone. I don't expect a medal but a little bit of patience when I drive in unknown city centers when I'm doing 40 instead of 50 cause following the GPS instructions or anything that takes your attention away from the road.

When you flash people at junctions to come out... they don't immediately respond and hesitate? If you go first drive, if they go first let them pass. The polite thing is to be consistent in respecting the signs: stops, triangles and dashed lines markings on the road.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Axa for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 21.04.2020, 20:10
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 223
Groaned at 17 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 84 Times in 63 Posts
ormesome has earned some respectormesome has earned some respect
Re: Driving Standards

The roundabout non-indicating thing is really annoying. It happens all over the world though. Tailgating is the worst for me. Invariably it’s usually some expat, driving with his seat reclined as far as possible, one hand on the top of the steering wheel, inches from my chuf! Nearly always a Mercedes or an older Audi
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 21.04.2020, 20:25
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,141
Groaned at 406 Times in 315 Posts
Thanked 17,122 Times in 9,629 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving Standards

Quote:
View Post
The suisse romande (and frontaliers) as well, flashing your lights means ‘up your’s bar steward’
Can't say that applies in my part of suisse romande. Here if someone flashes you it's usually to let you out into a queue of cars.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 21.04.2020, 20:38
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 8,289
Groaned at 294 Times in 223 Posts
Thanked 18,985 Times in 6,619 Posts
k_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond reputek_and_e has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving Standards

Quote:
View Post
Don't get me wrong I think the roads are very safe here.

However what is it with the following:

People reversing while you are reversing and not looking in their mirror. And when you challenge them they take massive offence.

People walking behind you as you're reversing and not waiting.

Drivers in a 60 doing 45 or 50.....

No thank you, raised hands, when you let people out.

When you flash people at junctions to come out... they don't immediatly respond and hesitate?
In a normal situation I would tell you to stop whining but your post is now actually a welcome distraction from Corona.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank k_and_e for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 21.04.2020, 20:39
lost_inbroad's Avatar
Unbridled Mod
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Town or region
Posts: 11,428
Groaned at 634 Times in 406 Posts
Thanked 16,151 Times in 6,313 Posts
lost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond reputelost_inbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving Standards

Quote:
View Post
Don't get me wrong I think the roads are very safe here.

However what is it with the following:

People reversing while you are reversing and not looking in their mirror. And when you challenge them they take massive offence.

People walking behind you as you're reversing and not waiting.

Drivers in a 60 doing 45 or 50.....

No thank you, raised hands, when you let people out.

When you flash people at junctions to come out... they don't immediatly respond and hesitate?
The roads here are absolute garbage. For one, there is a constant change in speed limit on the highway. Then somebody had the grand idea to plant a roundabout on every possible place where no roundabout is necessary. There is the mandatory pedestrian crossing after each roundabout, so that it is an absolute given, that traffic flow will be disrupted. What else, let's see. Oh yeah, the traffic lights are located what seems to be level with a midget's crotch; this is to ensure that the first 3 drivers waiting in line get to crack their vertebrae while trying to spot the green light. Other fantastic brainfarts are: no overtaking on the right, so that there is a queue formed on the left lane. Radars located where they're not meant to enhance drivers' and pedestrians' safety. Random right of way coming from the right. . .there's a whole main road in Zurich plastered with stop signs and traffic lights except for one side street because it is fun to keep people on their toes. Pheew, that felt good.

Last edited by lost_inbroad; 21.04.2020 at 20:56.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 21.04.2020, 20:47
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored²
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,292
Groaned at 395 Times in 271 Posts
Thanked 19,996 Times in 10,412 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving Standards

Quote:
View Post
The roundabout non-indicating thing is really annoying. It happens all over the world though. Tailgating is the worst for me. Invariably it’s usually some expat..
Noooo. Not in here.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 21.04.2020, 21:03
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 4,890
Groaned at 247 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 6,666 Times in 3,135 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving Standards

Quote:
View Post
The roads here are absolute garbage. For one, there is a constant change in speed limit on the highway. Then somebody had the grand idea to plant a roundabout on every possible place where no roundabout is necessary. There is the mandatory pedestrian crossing after each roundabout, so that it is an absolute given, that traffic flow will be disrupted. What else, let's see. Oh yeah, the traffic lights are located what seems to be level with a midget's crotch; this is to ensure that the first 3 drivers waiting in line get to crack their vertebrae while trying to spot the green light. Other fantastic brainfarts are: no overtaking on the right, so that there is a queue formed on the left lane. Radars located where they're not meant to enhance drivers' and pedestrians' safety. Random right of way coming from the right. . .there's a whole main road in Zurich plastered with stop signs and traffic lights except for one side street because it is fun to keep people on their toes. Pheew, that felt good.
The objective is to slow trafic flows. They want you to take public transport. I rarely go into Geneva anymore, but when I do I take the bus, train, bus/tram.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank bowlie for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 21.04.2020, 22:04
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 13,253
Groaned at 216 Times in 191 Posts
Thanked 19,331 Times in 7,868 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving Standards

I have radar and make other drivers and pedestrians very nervous sometimes when I'm manoeuvering.

Strange though - my daughter and my daughter-in-law have managed to reverse into various things, despite the radar.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 21.04.2020, 22:59
hairybadger's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Geneva area
Posts: 544
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 751 Times in 302 Posts
hairybadger has a reputation beyond reputehairybadger has a reputation beyond reputehairybadger has a reputation beyond reputehairybadger has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving Standards

Quote:
View Post
I have radar and make other drivers and pedestrians very nervous sometimes when I'm manoeuvering.
You're using it as attack radar. This wasn't the design goal, old bean.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank hairybadger for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 21.04.2020, 23:02
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored²
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,292
Groaned at 395 Times in 271 Posts
Thanked 19,996 Times in 10,412 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving Standards

Quote:
View Post
I have radar and make other drivers and pedestrians very nervous sometimes when I'm manoeuvering.

Strange though - my daughter and my daughter-in-law have managed to reverse into various things, despite the radar.
Is it their subtle hint for you to get a new vehicle?

I ended up in a goose pond. Not reversing. And on a motorbike.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 21.04.2020, 23:31
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Geneva
Posts: 116
Groaned at 34 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 85 Times in 53 Posts
mikedragos is considered knowledgeablemikedragos is considered knowledgeablemikedragos is considered knowledgeable
Re: Driving Standards

Quote:
View Post
The objective is to slow trafic flows. They want you to take public transport. I rarely go into Geneva anymore, but when I do I take the bus, train, bus/tram.

Precisely. Complete idiots in Geneva. Every possible street, left/right turn is now changed into one way, or forbidden. For example, turning left to the side street that would decongest the main artery and was used by people for years is now forbidden. Why? so that there would be more jam in the main artery. And then the cream on the cake - the red light before the intersection is now twice as long as before with no purpose other than to create even worse traffic jam. And then the idiots come up with smog stickers - well, let the traffic flow normally and surely there would be less pollution than when creating artificial jams. Or maybe you want even more polution? Ok then.

The point I disagree with you is then on the public transport. On the contrary,
I enjoy their fake jams by spending more time in the car and listening to a great music or some nice talk show. 5 years ago I would get back from my work to home (some 600m distance) in less than 2 minutes, now takes me 10-15 minutes (pre-Corona times). And I don't mind at all.

Keep doing it, Genevoise.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 21.04.2020, 23:35
hairybadger's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Geneva area
Posts: 544
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 751 Times in 302 Posts
hairybadger has a reputation beyond reputehairybadger has a reputation beyond reputehairybadger has a reputation beyond reputehairybadger has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Driving Standards

Quote:
View Post
The point I disagree with you is then on the public transport. On the contrary,
I enjoy their fake jams by spending more time in the car and listening to a great music or some nice talk show. 5 years ago I would get back from my work to home (some 600m distance) in less than 2 minutes, now takes me 10-15 minutes (pre-Corona times). And I don't mind at all.

Keep doing it, Genevoise.
I may be walking into a minefield here but wouldn't it be quicker to walk? 600m? Certainly cheaper.
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank hairybadger for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Electrical standards DL21 Housing in general 13 05.02.2019 19:33
Journalism standards...not CH Tasebo Complaints corner 5 21.05.2014 12:43
Trading standards in the CH Running man Other/general 3 12.03.2013 16:33
Double standards mimi1981 Forum support 65 19.10.2011 07:38
Trading standards telandy Business & entrepreneur 2 24.08.2010 11:27


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0