Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11.05.2020, 08:04
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 1,013
Groaned at 126 Times in 62 Posts
Thanked 515 Times in 275 Posts
markalex has an excellent reputationmarkalex has an excellent reputationmarkalex has an excellent reputationmarkalex has an excellent reputation
Covid-19 Source

Watched a BBC video about the origins of hand washing. In it they told a horror story of a child birth deaths in Austria i think it was being reduced from 18% to 1% cause consultants started to wash their hands. Apparently they had been rushing between autopsies of dead patients to live ones giving birth without washing their hands... obviously this was I think more than a century ago.

I didn't think of it at the time, but there is a link with covid-19 live animal markets and this story. Imagine in Wuhan in a market you can buy live fish or indeed dead ones and even fruit and vegetables.

Do you see connection, obviously the people behind the market stalls don't wash their hands between fishing out a fish for you and picking up a slab of meat and then a few apples & some carrots maybe. This is why these sort of markets should have been banned 20 years ago when SARS came out of them.
  #2  
Old 11.05.2020, 08:15
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 5,200
Groaned at 292 Times in 206 Posts
Thanked 7,108 Times in 3,345 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Covid-19 Source

I saw some wet markets in Vietnam and Cambodia in February while we were there. I would say that the potential for viral transmission exists there, you saw little hand washing, or washing in communal buckets without a lot of soap.

However each vendor seemed to be specialists in a certain products. One guy selling live fish, another guy cleaned filleted fish, the next some kelp, etc.

Meats and fish and veggies were all in separate areas of the market.

These markets are all part of the distribution chain and are important, they cannot be simply done away with. People’s livelihoods at stake as well.

Edited to add,our visit was before the virus was spreading in these places. They were beginning to implement anti-virus measures but it was early days. I imagine, but don’t know, that the markets would have increased hand washing et al. Almost everyone was wearing face masks of some ilk, but not for the virus but because everyone rides small scooters and they need them to keep the bugs out of their mouths. In the cities the air was quite brown.

2nd edit Have you ever been to the big market in Divonne-les-bains? While they are suspended at the moment, it is not as clean as you would hope.

Last edited by bowlie; 11.05.2020 at 09:24.
This user would like to thank bowlie for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 11.05.2020, 22:57
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: ZH
Posts: 489
Groaned at 32 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 529 Times in 250 Posts
LifeStrain has a reputation beyond reputeLifeStrain has a reputation beyond reputeLifeStrain has a reputation beyond reputeLifeStrain has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Covid-19 Source

We should stop food. Eat only flavoured food paste from a tube, like astronauts.
The following 2 users would like to thank LifeStrain for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 11.05.2020, 23:26
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,489
Groaned at 413 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,424 Times in 10,577 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Covid-19 Source

Quote:
View Post
We should stop food. Eat only flavoured food paste from a tube, like astronauts.
There might be some middle ground between pangolins and astronaut paste. Yes?

Quote:
View Post
2nd edit Have you ever been to the big market in Divonne-les-bains? While they are suspended at the moment, it is not as clean as you would hope.
I think that French markets are not operating to prevent people meeting and mingling, not becuase the markets would be unsanitary. Especially the overpriced expats ones.
  #5  
Old 12.05.2020, 00:01
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: ZH
Posts: 489
Groaned at 32 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 529 Times in 250 Posts
LifeStrain has a reputation beyond reputeLifeStrain has a reputation beyond reputeLifeStrain has a reputation beyond reputeLifeStrain has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Covid-19 Source

Quote:
View Post
There might be some middle ground between pangolins and astronaut paste. Yes?
No. Only hardcore. Also, prohibit group flights, leave only private jets for top management. Let's save the environment. Ban clubs, theatres, cinema, replace them with VR sets of Netflix and Youtube (or some other tube). Ban shops, make robot/drone delivery of food and groceries. Never leave the apartment again. You might not be able to return to safety from the OUTSIDE. EVER.

My brain melted in the lockdown
  #6  
Old 12.05.2020, 00:14
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,489
Groaned at 413 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,424 Times in 10,577 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Covid-19 Source

Quote:
View Post
No. Only hardcore. Also, prohibit group flights, leave only private jets for top management. Let's save the environment. Ban clubs, theatres, cinema, replace them with VR sets of Netflix and Youtube (or some other tube). Ban shops, make robot/drone delivery of food and groceries. Never leave the apartment again. You might not be able to return to safety from the OUTSIDE. EVER.

My brain melted in the lockdown
You like Blade Runner, don't ya. Or Altered Carbon?

I have never tried pangolins and am determined to never try, but ate astronaut food in FLA. Super gross.

Humans are more social than ever thought before, though. Despite my hermit tendencies, I know that humans are not made to be loners. Your theory would never work, the sensation of danger is not strong enough to change that.
  #7  
Old 12.05.2020, 07:42
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,971
Groaned at 2,032 Times in 1,120 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Covid-19 Source

Quote:
View Post
Watched a BBC video about the origins of hand washing. In it they told a horror story of a child birth deaths in Austria i think it was being reduced from 18% to 1% cause consultants started to wash their hands. Apparently they had been rushing between autopsies of dead patients to live ones giving birth without washing their hands... obviously this was I think more than a century ago.

I didn't think of it at the time, but there is a link with covid-19 live animal markets and this story. Imagine in Wuhan in a market you can buy live fish or indeed dead ones and even fruit and vegetables.

Do you see connection, obviously the people behind the market stalls don't wash their hands between fishing out a fish for you and picking up a slab of meat and then a few apples & some carrots maybe. This is why these sort of markets should have been banned 20 years ago when SARS came out of them.
got nothing to do with wuhan. its a global problem
  #8  
Old 12.05.2020, 08:03
Spinal's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,370
Groaned at 11 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,347 Times in 589 Posts
Spinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond reputeSpinal has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Covid-19 Source

Have you ever been to a poultry farm (anywhere in the world)?


I couldn't eat chicken for weeks after. If you want to see potential for viral transmission, visit a poultry farm.


A market has very limited potential, not that crowded... a farm on the other side, has literally thousands of live animals, in confined spaces, often with large quantities of antibiotics thrown in...
This user would like to thank Spinal for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 12.05.2020, 08:38
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,295
Groaned at 146 Times in 102 Posts
Thanked 9,200 Times in 3,486 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Covid-19 Source

I am wondering about the possible environmental impact of the lockdown.
For instance, the global cooling effect due to aerosol emissions has been reduced meaning that climate change is accelerating.

Im thinking of this lockdown as a teaser trailer on how to "save the planet"
 

Tags
covid-19 source




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Update COVID-19: Dog Training CherryTree2014 Pet corner 4 23.12.2020 11:30
COVID-19 and legality Uaby Employment 39 22.05.2020 13:18
Back to work, after covid-19 markalex Daily life 48 29.04.2020 14:34
Financial Help for the Self-Employed due to Covid-19 Konuku Business & entrepreneur 1 22.03.2020 17:30
COVID-19 family situation Mr. Happy Family matters/health 14 19.03.2020 09:59


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:40.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0