Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12.05.2020, 08:47
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: zurich
Posts: 27
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Waterloo has no particular reputation at present
Salary during Virus

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for letting me join.

Some advice would be great please. I work in Zurich (private household) but live in the UK. When at work, I live in etc, you get the picture. I have been in the UK since lockdown and I am struggling to find information that relates to my situation.

- When am I allowed to fly into Zurich again
- Does my boss have to keep paying me until I am legally allowed to return to
Zurich
- if yes, at what percent and for how long?
- Are there any quarantine rules once landing in ZH? UK has set a 14 day self
isolation upon return to the UK

Any information would be a great help, TIA

Have a great day
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12.05.2020, 12:07
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,126
Groaned at 406 Times in 315 Posts
Thanked 17,100 Times in 9,620 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Good Morning

Welcome to the forum.

If you have a Swiss permit to live/work here then you can return when you like assuming you can arrange the travel to do so.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 12.05.2020, 12:30
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Good Morning

Quote:
View Post
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for letting me join.

Some advice would be great please. I work in Zurich (private household) but live in the UK. When at work, I live in etc, you get the picture. I have been in the UK since lockdown and I am struggling to find information that relates to my situation.

- When am I allowed to fly into Zurich again
If you are registered here you never have been blocked from coming home.
Quote:
- Does my boss have to keep paying me until I am legally allowed to return to
Zurich
Depends.
Quote:
- if yes, at what percent and for how long?
Depends
Quote:
- Are there any quarantine rules once landing in ZH? UK has set a 14 day self
isolation upon return to the UK
Nope.
Quote:

Any information would be a great help, TIA

Have a great day
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12.05.2020, 20:35
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: zurich
Posts: 27
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Waterloo has no particular reputation at present
Re: Good Morning

Quote:
View Post
Welcome to the forum.

If you have a Swiss permit to live/work here then you can return when you like assuming you can arrange the travel to do so.

Thank you. I have a B permit.....
I appreciate the help
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12.05.2020, 22:42
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 7,883
Groaned at 89 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 11,914 Times in 4,838 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Good Morning

From the start, anyone who has a work permit for Switzerland has been allowed to return to Switzerland. So there is, in terms of entry into the country, and going to work, no restriction on you, at all.

If you have a job in Switzerland, and a B-permit, why did you stay in the UK and not return to Switzerland after your trip (holiday?) to the UK, and not report to work?
Did your employer want you to stay away?
Are you in a risk group?

Last edited by doropfiz; 13.05.2020 at 03:25.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 25.05.2020, 15:55
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: zurich
Posts: 27
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Waterloo has no particular reputation at present
Salary during Virus

Good afternoon all,
I am really struggling to find the information I need regarding my predicament. Any leads, help or answers would be greatly appreciated.
I have worked in Zurich for the last 9yrs as a nanny, but I live in the UK. So when in Zurich I live in for my shifts and then go home etc etc.
Where do I stand regarding my salary now? What are the swiss laws? I cant go to work at present due to the situation and I am worried that if this goes on for too much longer, my boss will terminate my position.
Am I entitled to full, half 80% of my salary, for how long if at all etc.
Im so confused and have no idea how to go about getting this information
Thank you for you time and your patience
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 25.05.2020, 16:02
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Salary during Virus

You still have questions open..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 25.05.2020, 19:04
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: zurich
Posts: 27
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Waterloo has no particular reputation at present
What do you mean I still have questions open? Have i posted incorrectly?

Quote:
View Post
From the start, anyone who has a work permit for Switzerland has been allowed to return to Switzerland. So there is, in terms of entry into the country, and going to work, no restriction on you, at all.

If you have a job in Switzerland, and a B-permit, why did you stay in the UK and not return to Switzerland after your trip (holiday?) to the UK, and not report to work?
Did your employer want you to stay away?
Are you in a risk group?
Hi,
I live in the UK and Live at work when in Switzerland. I was off when the lockdown happened and stayed put.

Last edited by 3Wishes; 04.08.2020 at 17:37. Reason: merging consecutive replies
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 25.05.2020, 19:23
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Good Morning

Quote:
View Post
Hi,
I live in the UK and Live at work when in Switzerland. I was off when the lockdown happened and stayed put.
If you just chose to stay in England without a proper valid reason as to why you could not work and there is not a really good reason why there never has been an application for "short-labour" I'd wonder if you even would get a single dime tbh.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 25.05.2020, 20:50
swisspea's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: From one side of lake Zurich to the other...
Posts: 6,242
Groaned at 39 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 6,261 Times in 2,890 Posts
swisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Salary during Virus

I highly recommend you speak to your employer and organise to get back to work in Switzerland as quickly as possible.


As others have said, if you have a swiss residency permit, you were never blocked from coming back.


I assume you pay taxes in Switerland, so legally you 'live' in Switzerland (you have a residency permit) even though you say you 'live' in the UK. You keep a second home in the UK.



If you have worked legally for 12 months out of the past 24 in Switerland then you would be entitled to unemployment insurance if your employer terminates your job. But it sounds more like a refusal to work right now - you could have stayed working throughout if you had come back to Switzerland at any time - Nannies were never prevented from working through the lockdown.


Right now, I'd much rather be in Switerland than the UK. We're not in as tight a lockdown and things are opening up rapidly... there are very few people left in the hospitals with coronavirus - most have recovered. We're probably a month or 6 weeks ahead of the UK in terms of the projected curve. Personally, I'd move now when things are still locked down - and you are not mixing with anyone. The airports and planes have all precautions in place and are very quiet...


Does your employer want you to come back ?
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank swisspea for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 26.05.2020, 10:56
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: zurich
Posts: 27
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Waterloo has no particular reputation at present
Re: Salary during Virus

Quote:
View Post
I highly recommend you speak to your employer and organise to get back to work in Switzerland as quickly as possible.


As others have said, if you have a swiss residency permit, you were never blocked from coming back.


I assume you pay taxes in Switerland, so legally you 'live' in Switzerland (you have a residency permit) even though you say you 'live' in the UK. You keep a second home in the UK.



If you have worked legally for 12 months out of the past 24 in Switerland then you would be entitled to unemployment insurance if your employer terminates your job. But it sounds more like a refusal to work right now - you could have stayed working throughout if you had come back to Switzerland at any time - Nannies were never prevented from working through the lockdown.


Right now, I'd much rather be in Switerland than the UK. We're not in as tight a lockdown and things are opening up rapidly... there are very few people left in the hospitals with coronavirus - most have recovered. We're probably a month or 6 weeks ahead of the UK in terms of the projected curve. Personally, I'd move now when things are still locked down - and you are not mixing with anyone. The airports and planes have all precautions in place and are very quiet...


Does your employer want you to come back ?
They have not asked me back as yet and this is definitely NOT a case of refusing to work. I have been working in this particular position for 9yrs. I am being paid my full salary at the moment (which is very kind of them), but I am trying to pre-empt the future scenario. I have a husband and children who are in the UK and as most, just trying to juggle everything, so its not that easy to just, move to Switzerland as you mentioned. thanks for your comments
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 26.05.2020, 13:53
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 13,246
Groaned at 216 Times in 191 Posts
Thanked 19,325 Times in 7,864 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Salary during Virus

Keep talking to your employer. As far as I understand it, if they terminated your employment, you will be entitled to Swiss unemployment benefit, but you'll have to follow their rules - e.g. applying for a certain number of jobs a week etc.

The biggest issue I see is that if you come here and work, as soon as your return to the UK, you'll be stuck there for two weeks in quarantine.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 26.05.2020, 14:12
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bern
Posts: 1,785
Groaned at 282 Times in 175 Posts
Thanked 3,554 Times in 1,269 Posts
Susie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Salary during Virus

Quote:
View Post
They have not asked me back as yet and this is definitely NOT a case of refusing to work. I have been working in this particular position for 9yrs. I am being paid my full salary at the moment (which is very kind of them), but I am trying to pre-empt the future scenario. I have a husband and children who are in the UK and as most, just trying to juggle everything, so its not that easy to just, move to Switzerland as you mentioned. thanks for your comments
Main question that others have asked but you have not answered: For your work in Switzerland, do you have a Swiss job permit?

If you do not have this permit, it seems like perhaps they are taking advantage of the system by bringing you to Switzerland part-time without authorisation. Therefore what they are doing is illegal and you sadly won't be entitled to Swiss unemployment. If this is the case, it is a very unfair situation to you, I hope you can work through it.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 26.05.2020, 14:25
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: zurich
Posts: 27
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Waterloo has no particular reputation at present
Quote:
View Post
Keep talking to your employer. As far as I understand it, if they terminated your employment, you will be entitled to Swiss unemployment benefit, but you'll have to follow their rules - e.g. applying for a certain number of jobs a week etc.

The biggest issue I see is that if you come here and work, as soon as your return to the UK, you'll be stuck there for two weeks in quarantine.

Thank you very much. Its the 14 days once Im back that is of great concern for the rest of my family.

Quote:
View Post
Main question that others have asked but you have not answered: For your work in Switzerland, do you have a Swiss job permit?

If you do not have this permit, it seems like perhaps they are taking advantage of the system by bringing you to Switzerland part-time without authorisation. Therefore what they are doing is illegal and you sadly won't be entitled to Swiss unemployment. If this is the case, it is a very unfair situation to you, I hope you can work through it.
Sorry if you missed previous comments etc, new to this site and not great at posting etc. Yes, I have a B permit and everything is done above board. I think im a bit long in the tooth to be doing anything silly. Thank you for your comments.

Last edited by 3Wishes; 04.08.2020 at 17:37. Reason: merging consecutive replies
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 26.05.2020, 14:56
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bern
Posts: 1,785
Groaned at 282 Times in 175 Posts
Thanked 3,554 Times in 1,269 Posts
Susie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Salary during Virus

Good, then just speak with your employer. With your work permit, you are allowed to come back to Switzerland for work, even in quarantine.

If you do lose your job, I perhaps foresee there being an issue with being on Swiss unemployment and living in a different country not within close distance. They do require at random for you to be present for meetings (their way of making sure you aren't going on vacation rather than looking for work). There are other concerns too...best to discuss with them if the time comes. (And hopefully it doesn't!)

Best of luck
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 26.05.2020, 15:14
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Salary during Virus

Quote:
View Post
Good, then just speak with your employer. With your work permit, you are allowed to come back to Switzerland for work, even in quarantine.

If you do lose your job, I perhaps foresee there being an issue with being on Swiss unemployment and living in a different country not within close distance. They do require at random for you to be present for meetings (their way of making sure you aren't going on vacation rather than looking for work). There are other concerns too...best to discuss with them if the time comes. (And hopefully it doesn't!)

Best of luck
You can export unemployment money for 3 months maximum after having been on unemployment money for 1 month in Switzerland.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 26.05.2020, 15:42
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: zurich
Posts: 27
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Waterloo has no particular reputation at present
Re: Salary during Virus

Quote:
You can export unemployment money for 3 months maximum after having been on unemployment money for 1 month in Switzerland.
thank you, I hope it wont come to that.
have a super day
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Google+ virus...? Uncle GroOve TV/internet/telephone 8 18.03.2014 17:36
Banking virus markalex Finance/banking/taxation 1 05.01.2013 08:30
Help needed for PC - virus? strebelke TV/internet/telephone 8 11.03.2012 10:53
Warning Re: Mac Virus Textoch General off-topic 14 27.05.2011 14:05
PC Virus Ian Nicol General off-topic 27 11.08.2009 00:07


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:30.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0