Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02.06.2020, 20:53
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 87
Groaned at 10 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Ciuccio is considered unworthyCiuccio is considered unworthyCiuccio is considered unworthy
Finding a distraction in Zurich

My wife has recently joined me in Zurich, but knows nobody else here and is getting a bit bored. We would like to find something that can keep her occupied for a few hours per day. We had some ideas, such as finding a part-time job, joining a yoga class, learning German, even if coronavirus has made them more difficult.

Do you have any other suggestions?
She is from Vietnam and knows English and Korean.

Many thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02.06.2020, 20:57
swisspea's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: From one side of lake Zurich to the other...
Posts: 6,242
Groaned at 39 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 6,260 Times in 2,889 Posts
swisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Finding a distraction in Zurich

I recommend meetip. It's an app where you can sign up and join any group on any hobby, sport or theme. There are lots of active groups in/around Zurich.


At the moment, with coronavirus groups were not running, but I noticed recently that some have started again.


As a new arrival, they often send you information about German classes provided by the local town. Possibly also an integration evening or tour. I highly recommend doing these as both from what you learn from the class, as well as the chance to meet a diverse group of new arrivals who live nearby.


I run shopping tours and am happy to show her around town. Please send me a PM and I can send the details.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank swisspea for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 02.06.2020, 21:11
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 87
Groaned at 10 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Ciuccio is considered unworthyCiuccio is considered unworthyCiuccio is considered unworthy
Re: Finding a distraction in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Does she have a permit which allows her to be employed?

Yes, she can
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Ciuccio for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 02.06.2020, 21:11
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,975
Groaned at 2,037 Times in 1,121 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Finding a distraction in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
My wife has recently joined me in Zurich, but knows nobody else here and is getting a bit bored. We would like to find something that can keep her occupied for a few hours per day. We had some ideas, such as finding a part-time job, joining a yoga class, learning German, even if coronavirus has made them more difficult.

Do you have any other suggestions?
She is from Vietnam and knows English and Korean.

Many thanks.
Thats easy. Learn German-5 days a week every morning. Absolutely necessary that she gets it together with German
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank omtatsat for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 02.06.2020, 21:13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 87
Groaned at 10 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Ciuccio is considered unworthyCiuccio is considered unworthyCiuccio is considered unworthy
Re: Finding a distraction in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
I recommend meetip. It's an app where you can sign up and join any group on any hobby, sport or theme. There are lots of active groups in/around Zurich.


At the moment, with coronavirus groups were not running, but I noticed recently that some have started again.


As a new arrival, they often send you information about German classes provided by the local town. Possibly also an integration evening or tour. I highly recommend doing these as both from what you learn from the class, as well as the chance to meet a diverse group of new arrivals who live nearby.


I run shopping tours and am happy to show her around town. Please send me a PM and I can send the details.

Great suggestion: I will PM you
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02.06.2020, 21:19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 87
Groaned at 10 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Ciuccio is considered unworthyCiuccio is considered unworthyCiuccio is considered unworthy
Re: Finding a distraction in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Thats easy. Learn German-5 days a week every morning. Absolutely necessary that she gets it together with German

This is a solid suggestion and she has already started look into it on her own. However, we are also looking for some social activities she could take up before her German gets good enough
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Ciuccio for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 03.06.2020, 07:09
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,975
Groaned at 2,037 Times in 1,121 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Finding a distraction in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
My wife has recently joined me in Zurich, but knows nobody else here and is getting a bit bored. We would like to find something that can keep her occupied for a few hours per day. We had some ideas, such as finding a part-time job, joining a yoga class, learning German, even if coronavirus has made them more difficult.

Do you have any other suggestions?
She is from Vietnam and knows English and Korean.

Many thanks.
Some of the elderly peoples homes in Zürich are looking for people to accompany their residents on excursions or shopping etc. Its unpaid work.

Here they look for such people https://www.senioramawiedikon.ch/ube...offene-stellen
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank omtatsat for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 03.06.2020, 08:55
peaky's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: zurich
Posts: 359
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 246 Times in 136 Posts
peaky has earned the respect of manypeaky has earned the respect of manypeaky has earned the respect of many
Re: Finding a distraction in Zurich

The virus situation is a bit difficult. But if and when back to normal. Volunteering for events is something very good.

Musical festivals, sports events, conferences, expos. They all look for volunteers to help with the building, taking down and running. Youll get food and entrance and other freebies. I did this for a few months several years a go and it was really good.

Just pick events you have an interest in and send them an email if they need help.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank peaky for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 03.06.2020, 08:56
peaky's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: zurich
Posts: 359
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 246 Times in 136 Posts
peaky has earned the respect of manypeaky has earned the respect of manypeaky has earned the respect of many
Re: Finding a distraction in Zurich

And of course nothing is preventing her from setting up a coffee group, or something she is interested in, and posting it on here, FaceBook events, MeetUp etc, and organising a regular meeting/distraction.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03.06.2020, 09:19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 87
Groaned at 10 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Ciuccio is considered unworthyCiuccio is considered unworthyCiuccio is considered unworthy
Re: Finding a distraction in Zurich

Volunteering is a great idea and something we did not think about. Let us hope the virus situation gets better soon!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04.06.2020, 11:53
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 7,871
Groaned at 88 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 11,884 Times in 4,829 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Finding a distraction in Zurich

That's good news, that your wife's permit allows her to work.

Does she have qualifications, or working experience, or interests that she might follow, to work?
  • If yes, then perhaps it would be worth her trying to network in that field, in English, perhaps through meetup, or by contacting people working in the field, directly, and asking if she may please meet them for half-an-hour, to ask for their advice.
  • If no, then perhaps she'd find some ideas of how to find work without qualifications, in this bumper thread, with lots of suggestions from a wide range of perspectives: https://www.englishforum.ch/employme...fications.html
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 04.06.2020, 16:06
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,975
Groaned at 2,037 Times in 1,121 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Finding a distraction in Zurich

Without German its an uphill battle. Send her to a German course for 3 hours every day.5 days a week
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04.06.2020, 16:23
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bern
Posts: 1,755
Groaned at 277 Times in 170 Posts
Thanked 3,514 Times in 1,251 Posts
Susie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Finding a distraction in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Without German its an uphill battle. Send her to a German course for 3 hours every day.5 days a week
Agreed. We couldn't afford German classes when we moved here and they weren't offered by the canton back then. I somehow still landed a very good job and have been gainfully employed since. I really wish I could have taken an intensive German class when I had the time, but you do what you can.

Tell your wife just to put herself out there. There are numerous expat Facebook groups in the area where she can start communicating online. There are also English speaking fitness groups and yoga studios. This is how I was able to start meeting like minded people and build my life here.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04.06.2020, 16:52
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 31,570
Groaned at 2,349 Times in 1,710 Posts
Thanked 38,361 Times in 18,105 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Finding a distraction in Zurich

Lots of Vietnamese around here (I'm sort of related to half of them), but this is at the wrong end of the country.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04.06.2020, 16:59
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,975
Groaned at 2,037 Times in 1,121 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Finding a distraction in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Agreed. We couldn't afford German classes when we moved here and they weren't offered by the canton back then. I somehow still landed a very good job and have been gainfully employed since. I really wish I could have taken an intensive German class when I had the time, but you do what you can.

Tell your wife just to put herself out there. There are numerous expat Facebook groups in the area where she can start communicating online. There are also English speaking fitness groups and yoga studios. This is how I was able to start meeting like minded people and build my life here.
When I came here to Zürich in 95' they paid for all my German courses including intensive courses.

Maybe send her to a Swiss cooking school-she can learn how to make real Rösti
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank omtatsat for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 06.06.2020, 09:41
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 87
Groaned at 10 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Ciuccio is considered unworthyCiuccio is considered unworthyCiuccio is considered unworthy
Re: Finding a distraction in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
Lots of Vietnamese around here (I'm sort of related to half of them), but this is at the wrong end of the country.

Tom

Really? We noticed plenty of Thai people in Zurich, not so many Viet though. But this is just our impression.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06.06.2020, 09:43
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 87
Groaned at 10 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Ciuccio is considered unworthyCiuccio is considered unworthyCiuccio is considered unworthy
Re: Finding a distraction in Zurich

The city of Zurich offers a database of German courses, which is worth mentioning:


https://www.deutschkurse-zh.ch/kurssuche.html


I found it ironical that the webpage is in German though
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07.06.2020, 11:07
Queen of Cups's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Zurich town
Posts: 361
Groaned at 11 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 436 Times in 201 Posts
Queen of Cups has earned the respect of manyQueen of Cups has earned the respect of manyQueen of Cups has earned the respect of many
Re: Finding a distraction in Zurich

Have you had a look at what the Gemeindezentrums have to offer? They are just resuming courses in the next week or so. I know that several have Sprachcafes for English or have German classes for beginners. They are usually quite cheap and some of their offerings are in English. For example, our local GZ has an international dance course that is in English or a blend of English and German.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Queen of Cups for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 08.06.2020, 00:22
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 8,915
Groaned at 461 Times in 344 Posts
Thanked 11,816 Times in 6,155 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Finding a distraction in Zurich

Quote:
View Post
I found it ironical that the webpage is in German though
Is it?

People are looking to learn German. The vocabulary required to understand such a page is very limited, 10-20 terms at most. What better opportunity to start learning than here? Every journey starts with the first step.

Besides, resources are always limited. Is it more efficient to have the entire site translated to 50 languages, or to use the money to offer more courses instead?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
activities, part-time




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pickpockets using Distraction Techniques swiss bill Complaints corner 64 25.05.2021 07:51
Finding a job in Zurich Omarelma Employment 13 20.10.2018 17:22
Finding a job in Zurich Omarelma Employment 2 18.10.2018 19:13
Finding an apartment is more difficult than finding a job! (Lausanne/Switzerland) pk86 Housing in general 10 10.10.2013 22:00
Help finding a job in Zurich ta70s Employment 0 03.05.2009 14:33


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0