English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Daily life (https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-life/)
-   -   How to live next to a church? (https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-life/299024-how-live-next-church.html)

curley 08.07.2020 20:52

Re: How to live next to a church?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BasP72 (Post 3197679)
Its on my list of things to avoid while looking to buy a house...churches, dog rescue centers, railways, asbestos roofs, old school electric heating...

When looking through the pictues for a flat, a pictoresk church tower visible through a window is not cute, its a red flag !

I'm as observant as you are - my red flag is children's playground. :D
Beware of public swimming pools as well.

I love bells though, any. We don't have any around here but depending on the weather we sometimes here the ones from an other town - only weddings and funerals though.

MusicChick 08.07.2020 21:08

Re: How to live next to a church?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BasP72 (Post 3197679)
Its on my list of things to avoid while looking to buy a house...churches, dog rescue centers, railways, asbestos roofs, old school electric heating...

When looking through the pictues for a flat, a pictoresk church tower visible through a window is not cute, its a red flag !

I think the only red flags for me would be bars/disco (the streets in the morning aren't sightly, not mentioning noise) and those garbage disposal tanks that are burried under ground. Don't like the whiff of those.

But you are right - rails (dust) and asbestos. Schools maybe since I am glad to leave the beehive behind at night.

NotAllThere 08.07.2020 22:24

Re: How to live next to a church?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BasP72 (Post 3197679)
Its on my list of things to avoid while looking to buy a house...churches, dog rescue centers, railways, asbestos roofs, old school electric heating...

Even so, our house didn't lie under a flight path until we'd been living it for five years. And they fly directly over our house. If the planes land (it's only landing planes that cause us a problem) between 10pm and 6am, Euroairport is fined. I've never seen a penny of that. Oh well. :rolleyes:

jacek 08.07.2020 22:37

Re: How to live next to a church?
 
Get used to the bells as time passes by. It will eventually become a routinely music to one’s ear :D

Pancakes 08.07.2020 22:43

Re: How to live next to a church?
 
Church bells are nice... from a distance. :)

For the OP... Maybe custom-made earplugs would help. They're probably not something that should be worn every night, but they work amazingly well for cancelling out noise and could be worn on weekends when you want to sleep in. Most stores that sell hearing aids can make them for you. They take a little mold of the inside of your ear (no pain or discomfort at all) and then from that they make the little silicon earplugs. They're very comfortable to wear and definitely block noise much, much better than store-bought earplugs. Mine cost about 100 CHF in total. Best 100 bucks I ever spent.

NotSwissEnough 08.07.2020 22:57

Re: How to live next to a church?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacek (Post 3197713)
Get used to the bells as time passes by. It will eventually become a routinely music to one’s ear :D

The problem is that to a musician, they're never whole notes. They're a bunch of out of tune bells resonating the wrong way.

jacek 09.07.2020 00:24

Re: How to live next to a church?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotSwissEnough (Post 3197718)
The problem is that to a musician, they're never whole notes. They're a bunch of out of tune bells resonating the wrong way.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :D

greenmount 09.07.2020 07:56

Re: How to live next to a church?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacek (Post 3197713)
Get used to the bells as time passes by. It will eventually become a routinely music to one’s ear :D

Or one learns to tune out? Like we do when someone annoying talks? (that would be the parents for many kids lol)


I would certainly take into consideration proximity to a church here, if church bells would bother me. But wait, then people couldn't complain on public fora, FB groups etc ....:D

Plau Deri 09.07.2020 08:47

Re: How to live next to a church?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BasP72 (Post 3197679)
Its on my list of things to avoid

Don't forget to ask about the vicinity of shooting ranges. Their sound can carry pretty far, and chances are they are closed, when you go to see a place.

EPMike 09.07.2020 09:06

Re: How to live next to a church?
 
There is only one working solution: burn down the church. However, it might only be a temporary solution as it will be rebuilt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingDove (Post 3197557)
I recently moved in the centre of Lausanne. A few days in I discovered an unexpected source of annoyance. Bells. Every morning at 8, even on weekends. How do people even live with them? Don't they ever want to sleep longer? Especially now that it's summer and you want to sleep with windows open.

What's the big deal about the bells in Switzerland? It's otherwise such a quiet country, and all of a sudden this.

Any tips for soundproofing the window? I can't do any major reengineering like removing them and installing a new one since I'm renting the place. Any solution like soundproof curtains or blinds?


bowlie 09.07.2020 09:13

Re: How to live next to a church?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EPMike (Post 3197756)
There is only one working solution: burn down the church. However, it might only be a temporary solution as it will be rebuilt.

You could ‘borrow’ the bells.

Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee

dandi 09.07.2020 09:36

Re: How to live next to a church?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingDove (Post 3197557)
I....Every morning at 8, even on weekends. How do people even live with them? Don't they ever want to sleep longer? ....

People here wake up ridiculously early. It's brutal

jacek 09.07.2020 09:39

Re: How to live next to a church?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by dandi (Post 3197761)
People here wake up ridiculously early. It's brutal

Church bells, cow bells, door bells. People always find something to complain about in Switzerland :confused:

Es ist brutal ... :D

MusicChick 09.07.2020 09:39

Re: How to live next to a church?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotSwissEnough (Post 3197718)
The problem is that to a musician, they're never whole notes. They're a bunch of out of tune bells resonating the wrong way.

Honestly, for somebody with a perfect pitch, out-of-tune bells are the least of the nuissances. Just don't switch the radio on, subway announcements, mall muzzak, cellphone alarm, tiktok shinenigans, edu videos, TV, etc..

Bells are ok, they aren't meant to be finely tuned to musical ears. They are tuned to something else. :)

I like them. Glad they they aren't pulled down like statues elsewhere.

Tom1234 09.07.2020 09:47

Re: How to live next to a church?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicChick (Post 3197764)

I like them. Glad they they aren't pulled down like statues elsewhere.

Like the statues of the Hapsburg empire that were pulled down in then Czechoslovakia after WWI?
Like the statues of Masaryk there that were removed after WWII?

People have been taking down statues and replacing them for years.

Should we have statues of Hitler or monuments to his Third Reich in Germany?

Should statues of Stalin have been removed? Should new statues of Stalin be erected - like the bust in Novosibirsk?

MusicChick 09.07.2020 09:51

Re: How to live next to a church?
 
Only the ugly ones!

Churches and bells, on the other hand, were mostly built to not really please our aesthetic ears but offer practical functionality.

greenmount 09.07.2020 10:11

Re: How to live next to a church?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacek (Post 3197762)
Church bells, cow bells, door bells. People always find something to complain about in Switzerland :confused:

Es ist brutal ... :D

I recommend the semantron/xylon. My grandparents lived close to a monastery and this is a sound I learned to love and live with during summer holidays. It really brings peace. I also miss the nuns' sweets....

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacek (Post 3197727)
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :D

Always.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dandi (Post 3197761)
People here wake up ridiculously early. It's brutal

Those who live in the countryside start the day at 5 a.m. and OP complained about 8 a.m. being early? lol

NotSwissEnough 10.07.2020 14:36

Re: How to live next to a church?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicChick (Post 3197764)
Honestly, for somebody with a perfect pitch, out-of-tune bells are the least of the nuissances. Just don't switch the radio on, subway announcements, mall muzzak, cellphone alarm, tiktok shinenigans, edu videos, TV, etc..

Bells are ok, they aren't meant to be finely tuned to musical ears. They are tuned to something else. :)

I like them. Glad they they aren't pulled down like statues elsewhere.

I guess you haven't heard change bells recently?

I wouldn't mind them coming down. Religion should be a private affair, not for public consumption IMO.

Spaceghost 10.07.2020 14:53

Re: How to live next to a church?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Medea Fleecestealer (Post 3197576)
Be glad they only start at 8am. Some ring 24 hours a day and chime the quarter hours as well.


I can vouch for this - I rented a Swiss Star on Schwamendingenstrasse in Oerlikon and was not happy when I woke at 3am to hear the bell chime every 15 minutes throughout the night. :msnmad:

Weirdly though after a week I didn't notice it but that said there was no way I was renting longer-term near a church :D

omtatsat 10.07.2020 17:41

Re: How to live next to a church?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingDove (Post 3197557)
I recently moved in the centre of Lausanne. A few days in I discovered an unexpected source of annoyance. Bells. Every morning at 8, even on weekends. How do people even live with them? Don't they ever want to sleep longer? Especially now that it's summer and you want to sleep with windows open.

What's the big deal about the bells in Switzerland? It's otherwise such a quiet country, and all of a sudden this.

Any tips for soundproofing the window? I can't do any major reengineering like removing them and installing a new one since I'm renting the place. Any solution like soundproof curtains or blinds?

The bells are to remind you to repent your sins


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:06.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0