Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06.08.2020, 18:51
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Zug
Posts: 28
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
John in CH has no particular reputation at present
COVID Hour Strangeness - Import Duties from DE / FR ...

We have observed some strange behavior with regards to import stamps and duties charged since COVID started.

Before COVID>>>
  • Personal Import from DE: We could get any receipt stamped when crossing the border from DE regardless of value.
  • Personal Import from FR: We rarely go to France so have no personal experience but our friends told us that getting receipts stamped for items of any value pre-COVID was likewise not a problem.
  • Import via Carrier: Any packages delivered from DE or FR with value (including shipping) in excess of 62 CHF would trigger payment of duties and occasionally processing fees (especially in the case of DHL, FedEx, UPS).

After COVID>>>
  • Personal Import from DE: Border agents refused to stamp any individual receipt that was not more than 50 Euros (even if our total spend was 200+ Euros across multiple Amazon receipts).
  • Personal Import from FR: French border agents refused to stamp receipts if the value was less than 175 Euros.
  • Import via Carrier: Packages delivered from either DE or FR with values in excess of 62 CHF did not have the normal duties assessed and the typical processing fees often didn't materialize. We experienced this with many packages valued even 200-300 CHF. However we were assessed duties and processing fees for a package that was around 800 CHF.

Question: Whilst changing the limits certainly makes sense in order to limit COVID Hour cross-border travel... We have researched here on EnglishForum and on the English news sites ie Local etc but couldn't find anything related to the behavior we've experienced above. Does anyone know what's going on here?

Any clues or guidance greatly appreciated.
Rgds...
- John
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06.08.2020, 18:58
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,078
Groaned at 366 Times in 307 Posts
Thanked 13,937 Times in 6,500 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: COVID Hour Strangeness - Import Duties from DE / FR ...

Quote:
View Post
We have observed some strange behavior with regards to import stamps and duties charged since COVID started.

Before COVID>>>
  • Personal Import from DE: We could get any receipt stamped when crossing the border from DE regardless of value.
  • Personal Import from FR: We rarely go to France so have no personal experience but our friends told us that getting receipts stamped for items of any value pre-COVID was likewise not a problem.
  • Import via Carrier: Any packages delivered from DE or FR with value (including shipping) in excess of 62 CHF would trigger payment of duties and occasionally processing fees (especially in the case of DHL, FedEx, UPS).

After COVID>>>
  • Personal Import from DE: Border agents refused to stamp any individual receipt that was not more than 50 Euros (even if our total spend was 200+ Euros across multiple Amazon receipts).
  • Personal Import from FR: French border agents refused to stamp receipts if the value was less than 175 Euros.
  • Import via Carrier: Packages delivered from either DE or FR with values in excess of 62 CHF did not have the normal duties assessed and the typical processing fees often didn't materialize. We experienced this with many packages valued even 200-300 CHF. However we were assessed duties and processing fees for a package that was around 800 CHF.

Question: Whilst changing the limits certainly makes sense in order to limit COVID Hour cross-border travel... We have researched here on EnglishForum and on the English news sites ie Local etc but couldn't find anything related to the behavior we've experienced above. Does anyone know what's going on here?

Any clues or guidance greatly appreciated.
Rgds...
- John
As for Germany, nothing to do with Corona but a change in the rules.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 06.08.2020, 19:20
aSwissInTheUS's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich area
Posts: 12,783
Groaned at 99 Times in 88 Posts
Thanked 19,576 Times in 8,681 Posts
aSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond reputeaSwissInTheUS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: COVID Hour Strangeness - Import Duties from DE / FR ...

The German limit was introduced January 1st 2020
https://www.mypaketshop.com/mehrwert...ne-und-online/


As for France the € 175 limit has been there for more than a decade:
https://web.archive.org/web/20090826...aris_VAT.shtml
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank aSwissInTheUS for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 06.08.2020, 19:58
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 31,607
Groaned at 2,354 Times in 1,712 Posts
Thanked 38,414 Times in 18,127 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: COVID Hour Strangeness - Import Duties from DE / FR ...

Quote:
View Post
The German limit was introduced January 1st 2020
https://www.mypaketshop.com/mehrwert...ne-und-online/


As for France the € 175 limit has been there for more than a decade:
https://web.archive.org/web/20090826...aris_VAT.shtml
And for Italy it's around EUR 148 min.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06.08.2020, 20:00
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 12,691
Groaned at 206 Times in 171 Posts
Thanked 14,532 Times in 7,505 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: COVID Hour Strangeness - Import Duties from DE / FR ...

Quote:
View Post
The German limit was introduced January 1st 2020
https://www.mypaketshop.com/mehrwert...ne-und-online/


As for France the € 175 limit has been there for more than a decade:
https://web.archive.org/web/20090826...aris_VAT.shtml
Thanks, I didn't know that. Didn't really need to as I never ask the taxes back.

BUT: This is weird:
<<Stempelt der deutsche Zoll auch Ausfuhrbelege unter 50 Euro Warenwert ab?

Ja, da die Ausfuhrbelege für alle Nicht-EU-Länder gelten, stempeln die Zollbeamten auch Ausfuhrbelege unter 50 Euro Einkaufswert ab. Für andere Nicht-EU-Länder gelten nämlich andere Bagatellgrenzen bezüglich der Mehrwertsteuer-Rückerstattung.>>
WTF are other non-EU-countries if the rule is for all non-EU countries?
This implicates that every non-EU country is given different trifle-limit. And why am I almost sure that Switzerland's trifle-limit is the highest? How German is that, ROFL.

Time to shop in France and Italy.
__________________
It Ain’t What You Don’t Know That Gets You Into Trouble. It’s What You Know for Sure That Just Ain’t So
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
International Import duties omtatsat Other/general 5 27.03.2018 11:46
Import duties Guest Other/general 7 19.10.2014 22:25
Vehicle Import Duties dodgyken Transportation/driving 1 05.03.2014 16:05
Import duties timejohn Finance/banking/taxation 3 14.12.2011 09:15
Food import duties? GBer Permits/visas/government 3 24.04.2008 16:28


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0