Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 30.08.2020, 23:18
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 22
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
jesswecan has made some interesting contributions
Re: Quarantine police

Quote:
View Post
asked for my passport and documents. Asked where my husband was (he's staying with family elsewhere) and reviewed the rules and penalty for not complying with quarantine (10k).

Which documents did you need to present? I am coming back to Switzerland from the United States for school, I'll have my visa and enrollment verification from the school. Is there anything else I would need? I won't have access to a printer so I need to be as prepared as possible!
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 30.08.2020, 23:29
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 11,152
Groaned at 241 Times in 204 Posts
Thanked 23,391 Times in 9,948 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Quarantine police

Quote:
View Post
I hope the police were wearing masks!
and if they were, that the OP demanded to see their IDs anyway.

Happened to me at passport control in Schiphol. I was asked to remove my mask by a guy who checked my ID , even though we were standing right next to the sign saying you have to wear a mask. When I pointed out the irony to him he said you can't catch the virus from an ID check.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #43  
Old 30.08.2020, 23:54
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 402
Groaned at 43 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 924 Times in 463 Posts
John William has an excellent reputationJohn William has an excellent reputationJohn William has an excellent reputationJohn William has an excellent reputation
Re: Quarantine police

Friend of mine who has a 2nd home in the UK went into Quarantine after going to the UK
to check it out after the tenants have left.
During the whole time nobody came round to check whether he was observing the quarantine
rules but on the last day he was fined for watching British television without
a valid TV license during his quarantine.

Apparently he overlooked the fact that the tenants TV license expired when they left
the house.

Name:  TV van.jpg
Views: 1321
Size:  85.7 KB

Last edited by John William; 31.08.2020 at 00:10.
Reply With Quote
The following 15 users would like to thank John William for this useful post:
  #44  
Old 31.08.2020, 11:14
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Up there over the fog
Posts: 1,821
Groaned at 242 Times in 179 Posts
Thanked 2,052 Times in 1,007 Posts
JackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Quarantine police

Quote:
View Post
Which documents did you need to present? I am coming back to Switzerland from the United States for school, I'll have my visa and enrollment verification from the school. Is there anything else I would need? I won't have access to a printer so I need to be as prepared as possible!

Have you been in touch with the School and your Embassy? I was under the impression that the ban on all USA citizens entering Switzerland had not been lifted? Are students an exception?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank JackieH for this useful post:
  #45  
Old 31.08.2020, 11:18
MegsB's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Airport
Posts: 113
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 253 Times in 68 Posts
MegsB has an excellent reputationMegsB has an excellent reputationMegsB has an excellent reputationMegsB has an excellent reputation
Re: Quarantine police

Quote:
View Post
Which documents did you need to present? I am coming back to Switzerland from the United States for school, I'll have my visa and enrollment verification from the school. Is there anything else I would need? I won't have access to a printer so I need to be as prepared as possible!
They asked for a passport and residency card. I would imagine your passport/proof of enrollment/visa would be fine. But as Jackie mentioned, contact the Embassy just to be sure.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 31.08.2020, 16:02
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 598
Groaned at 35 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 1,170 Times in 534 Posts
leonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Quarantine police

Are there any rules about quarantine of the people who already had Covid?

If I was tested positive 1 month ago for Covid antibodies, and if I was in contact with a Covid-infected person, do I need to go into the quarantine?

If I am flying from the high-risk country and arriving into the household which just recovered from the Covid infection, do I need to quarantine from them?

If I tested as antibody positive and arriving into the household which just recovered from the Covid infection, and the person on the plane next to me tested Covid positive, then who should/shouldn’t be quarantined?

Last edited by leonie; 31.08.2020 at 16:54.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 31.08.2020, 17:09
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bern
Posts: 847
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 1,372 Times in 522 Posts
heckenhocker has a reputation beyond reputeheckenhocker has a reputation beyond reputeheckenhocker has a reputation beyond reputeheckenhocker has a reputation beyond reputeheckenhocker has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Quarantine police

Quote:
View Post
Are there any rules about quarantine of the people who already had Covid?

If I was tested positive 1 month ago for Covid antibodies, and if I was in contact with a Covid-infected person, do I need to go into the quarantine?

If I am flying from the high-risk country and arriving into the household which just recovered from the Covid infection, do I need to quarantine from them?

If I tested as antibody positive and arriving into the household which just recovered from the Covid infection, and the person on the plane next to me tested Covid positive, then who should/shouldn’t be quarantined?
There are starting to be (reliable, scientific) reports of re-infection of individuals. So I suspect the official answer will be "we don't know for sure, so treat everyone as at-risk, even if they have previously had infection"
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank heckenhocker for this useful post:
  #48  
Old 31.08.2020, 17:25
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 598
Groaned at 35 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 1,170 Times in 534 Posts
leonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Quarantine police

Quote:
View Post
There are starting to be (reliable, scientific) reports of re-infection of individuals. So I suspect the official answer will be "we don't know for sure, so treat everyone as at-risk, even if they have previously had infection"
My husband and I have tested positive for Covid antibodies about a month ago, and out teenage kids were never tested for antibodies. I am currently away in another country and will be flying back home this week. Our teenage son was just tested positive for Covid infection and is in isolation at home (feeling fine). Our teenage daughter was just tested as Covid negative and is in quarantine at home. My husband is also under quarantine with them, and their quarantine will end early next week.

After I fly back home, I guess, locking us all up for another 10 days of quarantine would probably be the safest way. I am considering isolating myself for 10 days from my family so that kids would finally go out of quarantine to school. But then my son just had Covid, does this make sense for me to isolate from him? And I have antibodies....
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 31.08.2020, 17:30
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Up there over the fog
Posts: 1,821
Groaned at 242 Times in 179 Posts
Thanked 2,052 Times in 1,007 Posts
JackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Quarantine police

wow- it deos get very complicated in some cases- and I truly don't think anyone on EF can give you clear advice. You need to contact the Health Authorities or your Embassy, to ask them to get clear information on your case.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank JackieH for this useful post:
  #50  
Old 31.08.2020, 18:49
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 20,427
Groaned at 429 Times in 320 Posts
Thanked 20,980 Times in 11,068 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Quarantine police

Quote:
View Post
My husband and I have tested positive for Covid antibodies about a month ago, and out teenage kids were never tested for antibodies. I am currently away in another country and will be flying back home this week. Our teenage son was just tested positive for Covid infection and is in isolation at home (feeling fine). Our teenage daughter was just tested as Covid negative and is in quarantine at home. My husband is also under quarantine with them, and their quarantine will end early next week.

After I fly back home, I guess, locking us all up for another 10 days of quarantine would probably be the safest way. I am considering isolating myself for 10 days from my family so that kids would finally go out of quarantine to school. But then my son just had Covid, does this make sense for me to isolate from him? And I have antibodies....
If you have antibodies then the chance of you being infected is pretty low. Once your husband & son has finished his quarantine I would not worry.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #51  
Old 31.08.2020, 20:31
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 12,684
Groaned at 205 Times in 182 Posts
Thanked 20,729 Times in 8,538 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Quarantine police

Quote:
View Post
Are there any rules about quarantine of the people who already had Covid?

If I was tested positive 1 month ago for Covid antibodies, and if I was in contact with a Covid-infected person, do I need to go into the quarantine?

If I am flying from the high-risk country and arriving into the household which just recovered from the Covid infection, do I need to quarantine from them?

If I tested as antibody positive and arriving into the household which just recovered from the Covid infection, and the person on the plane next to me tested Covid positive, then who should/shouldn’t be quarantined?
As I understand it legally speaking you have to quarantine for 10 days if you come from one of the high risk counties on the list.
There are no exceptions.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #52  
Old 01.09.2020, 00:14
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 788
Groaned at 70 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 1,828 Times in 698 Posts
terrifisch has a reputation beyond reputeterrifisch has a reputation beyond reputeterrifisch has a reputation beyond reputeterrifisch has a reputation beyond reputeterrifisch has a reputation beyond reputeterrifisch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Quarantine police

It states very clearly on the BAG website regarding COVID and quarantine, that testing will not be accepted in order for one to avoid quarantine.

Here is a link:https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home...nreisende.html

Also, depending on which Canton one resides, there could be further restrictions. For example, even though the BAG states that while one arriving from a high risk country into Switzerland must quarantine- those in the household do not have to quarantine provided the person arriving sequesters themselves and does not interact with others in that household.

In Zurich, however, the health authority has a far more stringent approach and stipulates that ALL members in a given household must quarantine if a person returns from a high risk country.

Here is the link: https://www.zh.ch/de/gesundheit/coro...elden_eng.html
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank terrifisch for this useful post:
  #53  
Old 01.09.2020, 04:50
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 598
Groaned at 35 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 1,170 Times in 534 Posts
leonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond reputeleonie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Quarantine police

Quote:
View Post
As I understand it legally speaking you have to quarantine for 10 days if you come from one of the high risk counties on the list.
There are no exceptions.
Thanks Belgianmum!

As more and more people get infected with Covid, I hope more data on antibodies will become available and used better in quarantine rules. In the last several days we had a lot of calls from different people, telling us conflicting things.

We just got a clarification that my son will be allowed unrestricted access to me, and the others have to stay apart, within the same house. At least my sons antibodies seem to be recognized for now as protective agains further infections.

Last edited by leonie; 01.09.2020 at 05:12.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank leonie for this useful post:
  #54  
Old 02.09.2020, 00:24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 402
Groaned at 43 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 924 Times in 463 Posts
John William has an excellent reputationJohn William has an excellent reputationJohn William has an excellent reputationJohn William has an excellent reputation
Re: Quarantine police

For those of you who like to turn back the clock to the early days of Quarantine in the UK, this time for
people who volunteer to catch the cold.
Look no further than this video.

British Movietone News - Going into Quarantine to catch a Cold
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank John William for this useful post:
  #55  
Old 06.09.2020, 15:38
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 402
Groaned at 43 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 924 Times in 463 Posts
John William has an excellent reputationJohn William has an excellent reputationJohn William has an excellent reputationJohn William has an excellent reputation
Re: Quarantine police

For those of you who are travelling to the UK from Switzerland or any other
country with which the UK does not share a travel corridor because the
infection rate is above a certain level of infections from Covid19.

You might be wondering just what sort of accomodation the UK is likely to
provide if you have not found or been provided with suitable accomodation
with which to self isloate, when you arrive.

Well don't worry as the British have organised everything in the way of
alternative accomodation and if you happen to end up doing your Quarantine
at one of their self-isolation holiday camps. Then be sure to join the
escape committee.

Hi-di-Hi !!




Name:  Butltz escape badge.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  57.6 KB
__________________
Surely the time has come for Boris to 'circle the wagons' for a bit of herd immunity ?
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 13.09.2020, 22:31
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: zurich
Posts: 107
Groaned at 53 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 87 Times in 46 Posts
gumby has made some interesting contributions
Re: Quarantine police

Quote:
View Post
As I understand it legally speaking you have to quarantine for 10 days if you come from one of the high risk counties on the list.
There are no exceptions.
Flight attendants do not have to quarantine.

I returned from Chicago on Wed and the police came for a visited on Sat. at 1:00 p.m. I asked if I could do some gardening work outside, and he said that would be fine.

I would have gone crazy if I had to be locked up in the basement for 10 days!!
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 13.09.2020, 23:05
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: na
Posts: 10,824
Groaned at 34 Times in 30 Posts
Thanked 25,297 Times in 7,888 Posts
meloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond reputemeloncollie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Quarantine police

Quote:
View Post
I returned from Chicago
Gumby, may I ask:

Did you have to also quarantine when you arrived in Chicago?

I'm getting conflicting information...

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 13.09.2020, 23:07
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Zurich
Posts: 788
Groaned at 70 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 1,828 Times in 698 Posts
terrifisch has a reputation beyond reputeterrifisch has a reputation beyond reputeterrifisch has a reputation beyond reputeterrifisch has a reputation beyond reputeterrifisch has a reputation beyond reputeterrifisch has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Quarantine police

Quote:
View Post
Flight attendants do not have to quarantine.

I returned from Chicago on Wed and the police came for a visited on Sat. at 1:00 p.m. I asked if I could do some gardening work outside, and he said that would be fine.

I would have gone crazy if I had to be locked up in the basement for 10 days!!
Flight attendants may not have to quarantine but they are tested constantly - at least the Swiss Air ones are. I met the nicest stewardess on my flight back to the US in mid June on a Swiss Air flight; to give you an example of how nice she is/was: she is a dog lover and when I showed her photos of my very sweet lab, who was in the hold on the flight, she asked where I lived in Zurich. When I told her my neighborhood/street, it turns out, that we live within 5 minutes of each other.

She told me that if I ever needed a dog walker, to contact her as she and her husband love dogs but their schedules do not permit owning one. Flash forward, and Swiss Authorities issue the quarantine. My normal dog walker is stuck in Poland and so I contact the stewardess I met on my flight via email while I am in the US. Lucky me as she responds and is willing to help!

She has walked my dog once in the afternoon, the entire time during my quarantine! We paid her but still, I so appreciate her kindness and generosity. She loves dogs and my lab is so happy when I send her outside with leash intact to greet her. And, my lab returns exhausted but happy

Anyway... I asked her what Swiss Air were doing and she said, they are testing staff constantly. Tomorrow is my last day of quarantine and her/Susanne's last walk with my yellow lab, Molly. I asked my OH to buy Susanne a nice orchid plant to thank her again.

Maybe I should written this post in the "I smiled because" thread... Anyway, what a nice woman I happened to meet and boy do I feel lucky!
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank terrifisch for this useful post:
  #59  
Old 13.09.2020, 23:23
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: zurich
Posts: 107
Groaned at 53 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 87 Times in 46 Posts
gumby has made some interesting contributions
Re: Quarantine police

Quote:
View Post
Gumby, may I ask:

Did you have to also quarantine when you arrived in Chicago?

I'm getting conflicting information...

Thanks.
I first flew from Seattle to Detroit and then out of Chicago so I dont know 100%.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank gumby for this useful post:
  #60  
Old 13.09.2020, 23:27
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: zurich
Posts: 107
Groaned at 53 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 87 Times in 46 Posts
gumby has made some interesting contributions
Re: Quarantine police

Wow, that is nice!

I had a funny experience on my flight as well! There were only 7 passengers! We each had our own flight attendant and they treated is very nice! Not so nice to bump us all to first class but we got first class service!


Quote:
View Post
Flight attendants may not have to quarantine but they are tested constantly - at least the Swiss Air ones are. I met the nicest stewardess on my flight back to the US in mid June on a Swiss Air flight; to give you an example of how nice she is/was: she is a dog lover and when I showed her photos of my very sweet lab, who was in the hold on the flight, she asked where I lived in Zurich. When I told her my neighborhood/street, it turns out, that we live within 5 minutes of each other.

She told me that if I ever needed a dog walker, to contact her as she and her husband love dogs but their schedules do not permit owning one. Flash forward, and Swiss Authorities issue the quarantine. My normal dog walker is stuck in Poland and so I contact the stewardess I met on my flight via email while I am in the US. Lucky me as she responds and is willing to help!

She has walked my dog once in the afternoon, the entire time during my quarantine! We paid her but still, I so appreciate her kindness and generosity. She loves dogs and my lab is so happy when I send her outside with leash intact to greet her. And, my lab returns exhausted but happy

Anyway... I asked her what Swiss Air were doing and she said, they are testing staff constantly. Tomorrow is my last day of quarantine and her/Susanne's last walk with my yellow lab, Molly. I asked my OH to buy Susanne a nice orchid plant to thank her again.

Maybe I should written this post in the "I smiled because" thread... Anyway, what a nice woman I happened to meet and boy do I feel lucky!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank gumby for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Basel Euroairport UK Quarantine! solomalee Travel/day trips/free time 42 01.02.2021 22:03
UK - New travel quarantine rules Castro Daily life 102 02.11.2020 20:00
Survive the quarantine for newly arrived jjjcat Daily life 50 16.07.2020 10:48
Could the Rep of Ireland end their 14 day Quarantine period before the UK does ? John William International affairs/politics 0 08.06.2020 16:57
Quarantine for dog coming from the US? Xlator Pet corner 2 03.10.2011 11:26


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0