Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01.09.2020, 17:00
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 13,612
Groaned at 236 Times in 207 Posts
Thanked 19,972 Times in 8,115 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
New eyes? Don't forget to get an eye test

At least in BL.

I had lens replacement due to cataracts earlier this year. My eye doctor said that I didn't have to worry about my driving license, as he would write to the MFK. I wasn't 100% convinced, so I gave MFK a ring.

They said that they'd received the letter and there was a note against my name that I don't need glasses to drive. But nonetheless, I have to have a new license issued. And that means I need the "are you able to drive without glasses" eye test. A complete eye examination that's even more meticulous, doesn't count.

This isn't a rant or complaint. So the keyboard warriors can go and shove their keyboards ... in a cupboard. Just to let others know.

Apparently, I risked the same fine as driving without having my license on me.
__________________
Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 01.09.2020, 17:11
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 13,137
Groaned at 219 Times in 183 Posts
Thanked 15,223 Times in 7,826 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New eyes? Don't forget to get an eye test

Quote:
View Post
At least in BL.

I had lens replacement due to cataracts earlier this year. My eye doctor said that I didn't have to worry about my driving license, as he would write to the MFK. I wasn't 100% convinced, so I gave MFK a ring.

They said that they'd received the letter and there was a note against my name that I don't need glasses to drive. But nonetheless, I have to have a new license issued. And that means I need the "are you able to drive without glasses" eye test. A complete eye examination that's even more meticulous, doesn't count.

This isn't a rant or complaint. So the keyboard warriors can go and shove their keyboards ... in a cupboard. Just to let others know.

Apparently, I risked the same fine as driving without having my license on me.
Yep. And that's not new. I had my eyes lasered in 2006 and had to get a new license. I must say, for once I loved going through that procedure.

Although we lasered the left eye only up to 80% (to avoid needing reading glasses too soon), the more inaccurate but officially accepted measuring still attests me 20/20 up until today.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01.09.2020, 17:27
Cherub's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Baselstadt
Posts: 856
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 1,025 Times in 460 Posts
Cherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New eyes? Don't forget to get an eye test

I asked my optician in Scotland about whether I should consider laser eye surgery and she said my eyesight was so bad I'd still need contact lenses afterwards

I feel a bit daft having multifocal contact lenses and having to use reading glasses with them, but it's either that or holding everything at arm's length. I have drawers full of reading glasses, addicted to buying them, yet I forget to put a pair in my handbag and realise when I get to my destination. Ends up with my OH shouting "you have more glasses than Elton John woman!"
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Cherub for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 01.09.2020, 17:33
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 13,612
Groaned at 236 Times in 207 Posts
Thanked 19,972 Times in 8,115 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New eyes? Don't forget to get an eye test

Lens replacement. That's the way to go. I now need glasses only for reading. And even then, I'm typing this on my laptop without glasses. (I'm just on the cusp of needing them). I wish I'd had it done years ago. New glasses routinely cost 1500CHF.

You're less likely to get dry eye as well, which my wife suffers from.

Cataracts were a real blessing. It meant my health insurer paid for most of it. (I took options that I had to pay myself, but worth it).
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 01.09.2020, 17:42
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,251
Groaned at 411 Times in 319 Posts
Thanked 17,270 Times in 9,699 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New eyes? Don't forget to get an eye test

Wow, good to know. I've had my cataracts done recently, but still have a retina membrane problem to try and sort out. Hadn't occurred to me that I might need yet another test and a new driving licence.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 01.09.2020, 17:58
Cherub's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Baselstadt
Posts: 856
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 1,025 Times in 460 Posts
Cherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New eyes? Don't forget to get an eye test

I'm not keen on lens replacement tbh. Don't like the thought something could possibly go wrong.

Friend of mine had laser eye done at Moorfields Eye Hospital London, it wasn't a success, she ended up looking through 2 halos and suffers constantly from migraine headaches.

Happy to stick with daily wear contacts, but who knows in future as I now have an astigmatism in my right eye and the prescription changes every 18 months. I only ever wear my varifocal prescription glasses indoors as I've worn contacts for so long now (35 years) that I hate that blind spot you get out of the side of each lens when I'm outside.

Gettin' older sucks
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Cherub for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 01.09.2020, 18:21
SodaBubblies's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Luzern
Posts: 15
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 29 Times in 11 Posts
SodaBubblies has no particular reputation at present
Re: New eyes? Don't forget to get an eye test

Quote:
View Post
I'm not keen on lens replacement tbh. Don't like the thought something could possibly go wrong.

Friend of mine had laser eye done at Moorfields Eye Hospital London, it wasn't a success, she ended up looking through 2 halos and suffers constantly from migraine headaches.

Happy to stick with daily wear contacts, but who knows in future as I now have an astigmatism in my right eye and the prescription changes every 18 months. I only ever wear my varifocal prescription glasses indoors as I've worn contacts for so long now (35 years) that I hate that blind spot you get out of the side of each lens when I'm outside.

Gettin' older sucks
I had IOL surgery about 2 years ago now(congenital cataracts) and I honestly don't notice much of a difference from when I was wearing contacts. Left eye went fine, but my right eye(the weakest of the two, which had the cataract grow back when I was a baby) had to be done again just one day after the surgery, as the lens had come loose and was just floating around.


Not to scare you or anything, just wanted to give my experience. Overall, I'm just happy I can see.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank SodaBubblies for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 01.09.2020, 18:27
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basle
Posts: 2,765
Groaned at 72 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,114 Posts
Landers has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New eyes? Don't forget to get an eye test

I failed the weird "which letter is higher than the other" part of the test and was told I have "no 3D vision" but they still passed me for driving.I wonder now if that was a hint at a more serious problem which presented itself five years later.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01.09.2020, 18:32
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,251
Groaned at 411 Times in 319 Posts
Thanked 17,270 Times in 9,699 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New eyes? Don't forget to get an eye test

Quote:
View Post
I asked my optician in Scotland about whether I should consider laser eye surgery and she said my eyesight was so bad I'd still need contact lenses afterwards

I feel a bit daft having multifocal contact lenses and having to use reading glasses with them, but it's either that or holding everything at arm's length. I have drawers full of reading glasses, addicted to buying them, yet I forget to put a pair in my handbag and realise when I get to my destination. Ends up with my OH shouting "you have more glasses than Elton John woman!"
Not reading glasses, but having my cataracts done I'm now long sighted, having been short sighted for most of my life. Had to find a pair of old glasses I could use for close up work on the PC; it was that or blow the display up to 175% to be able to read anything. Luckily I had a pair that does the job perfectly for the left eye, but when I go out I have to remember to take the glasses with me and also a pair of sunglasses if it's sunny and bright. Otherwise if I'm shopping I can't read the labels on anything.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02.09.2020, 17:00
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Mies
Posts: 962
Groaned at 14 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 721 Times in 408 Posts
catandmouse has earned the respect of manycatandmouse has earned the respect of manycatandmouse has earned the respect of many
Re: New eyes? Don't forget to get an eye test

I had both my eyes operated for cataracts a couple of years ago and only need glasses to read insurance policy type print. My previous driving licence had the dreaded endorsement requiring me to wear glasses. One of my neighbours is a border guard and knowing they also carry out police type duties, I asked him what he thought about the need for a new licence. His response was that it was sufficient for me to fall into the hands of an over-zealous policeman to end up in trouble. So the next time I had an checkup I got my ophthalmologist to do the paperwork and went off to the Service des Autos in Nyon. Was relieved of 40 CHFs and received an endorsement-free driving licence 2 days later.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02.09.2020, 17:05
Sean Connery's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,563
Groaned at 58 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 7,553 Times in 3,387 Posts
Sean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New eyes? Don't forget to get an eye test

If the cops stop you, btw, the fine is around 100. They might well ask you why, if your licence states you must drive with glass, you are not wearing them.

So good topic. I know someone who got caught like this.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02.09.2020, 17:08
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 11,146
Groaned at 88 Times in 84 Posts
Thanked 18,867 Times in 8,403 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New eyes? Don't forget to get an eye test

Why would a person need a separate eye test? When I had lasik, the doctor that did it issued me with a certificate showing my new, 20/20 vision. He said to attach that to the cantonal form, which I did. No extra stops or exams.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02.09.2020, 17:16
fatmanfilms's Avatar
The Marmite Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,384
Groaned at 458 Times in 351 Posts
Thanked 23,081 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New eyes? Don't forget to get an eye test

Quote:
View Post
Although we lasered the left eye only up to 80% (to avoid needing reading glasses too soon), the more inaccurate but officially accepted measuring still attests me 20/20 up until today.
No need for anything like 20/20 for driving, 0.6 (60%) in just 1 eye will do.

80% is required in both eyes for C1/D1 or 100 / 600 thats corrected vision
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02.09.2020, 18:35
Cherub's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Baselstadt
Posts: 856
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 1,025 Times in 460 Posts
Cherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New eyes? Don't forget to get an eye test

Another thing about laser eye, my optician back home told me that in a lot of people it only lasts 5 years then they end up being short sighted again
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Cherub for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 02.09.2020, 18:46
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basle
Posts: 2,765
Groaned at 72 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,114 Posts
Landers has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond reputeLanders has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New eyes? Don't forget to get an eye test

Interesting article where you can see that UK doesn't care too much



https://www.ecoo.info/wp-content/upl...ry-2017....pdf
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02.09.2020, 19:30
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 13,612
Groaned at 236 Times in 207 Posts
Thanked 19,972 Times in 8,115 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New eyes? Don't forget to get an eye test

Quote:
View Post
I'm not keen on lens replacement tbh. Don't like the thought something could possibly go wrong.
The most common and the safest operation in the world. But nothing is 100% safe.

Quote:
View Post
Not reading glasses, but having my cataracts done I'm now long sighted, having been short sighted for most of my life. Had to find a pair of old glasses I could use for close up work on the PC; it was that or blow the display up to 175% to be able to read anything. Luckily I had a pair that does the job perfectly for the left eye, but when I go out I have to remember to take the glasses with me and also a pair of sunglasses if it's sunny and bright. Otherwise if I'm shopping I can't read the labels on anything.
Get a pair of these

The case sticks to the back of your phone, so if like me you've always got your phone, you've always got your glasses. They don't work well with masks though.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02.09.2020, 22:35
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: CH
Posts: 153
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 293 Times in 119 Posts
missenglish has a reputation beyond reputemissenglish has a reputation beyond reputemissenglish has a reputation beyond reputemissenglish has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New eyes? Don't forget to get an eye test

Quote:
View Post
No need for anything like 20/20 for driving, 0.6 (60%) in just 1 eye will do.

80% is required in both eyes for C1/D1 or 100 / 600 thats corrected vision
Requirements changed a few years back and its now actually 20/40 in the better eye, as in most of the world. Kinda scary when you start to think about it - and may explain some of the weird situations kids describe on the way to school.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank missenglish for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 02.09.2020, 22:57
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 5,886
Groaned at 98 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 6,537 Times in 2,976 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New eyes? Don't forget to get an eye test

Quote:
View Post
If the cops stop you, btw, the fine is around 100. They might well ask you why, if your licence states you must drive with glass, you are not wearing them.

So good topic. I know someone who got caught like this.
What do they do if you are wearing contacts not glasses? Do they have a close look in your eyes to check?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Island Monkey for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 03.09.2020, 06:54
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,251
Groaned at 411 Times in 319 Posts
Thanked 17,270 Times in 9,699 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: New eyes? Don't forget to get an eye test

Quote:
View Post
The most common and the safest operation in the world. But nothing is 100% safe.



Get a pair of these

The case sticks to the back of your phone, so if like me you've always got your phone, you've always got your glasses. They don't work well with masks though.
Would be good - if I had a phone.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03.09.2020, 09:41
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Mies
Posts: 962
Groaned at 14 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 721 Times in 408 Posts
catandmouse has earned the respect of manycatandmouse has earned the respect of manycatandmouse has earned the respect of many
Re: New eyes? Don't forget to get an eye test

Quote:
View Post
What do they do if you are wearing contacts not glasses? Do they have a close look in your eyes to check?
In the days when I wore contacts I also wondered how the average Mr. Plod could tell. It is possible to detect the presence of contacts in the eye, but I doubt the average policeman knows.
There are two (or sort of 2 1/2 ways). If you look directly into the eyes of someone with contacts, after they blink you can usually see the contacts floating down. Somewhat easier, look at the person in profile and you will see the bulge of the contacts in the eye when it's open. The half-way is that you will probably see that contacts wearers blink more often (to irrigate the eyes), though not all do and there can be other reasons for blinking.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Eye Drops for Red Eyes Tangerine Family matters/health 10 15.04.2013 10:12
I will never forget when... Kristanez Daily life 68 18.12.2011 12:21
Lest we forget... Kristanez General off-topic 3 11.11.2011 13:40
Siren Test [sirens sounding in Basel on a non-test day] mirfield Daily life 16 23.06.2010 10:51
For your eyes only see.look Introductions 12 20.12.2009 01:06


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:09.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0