Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06.09.2020, 18:22
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Zurich
Posts: 24
Groaned at 9 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
ILikeEScooter has annoyed a few people around hereILikeEScooter has annoyed a few people around hereILikeEScooter has annoyed a few people around here
My e-scooter gets stolen, what I can do now

Today, I left my e-scooter (cost about 500chf) aside the Starbuck and then have coffee and stayed inside Starbuck. When I left, I found my e-scooter gone. I asked the stuff there and they do not know about this.

What is the best I can do for this? Reported to the police? I only have basic health insurance and I think I may not be able to get compensated by the insurance company for this
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users groan at ILikeEScooter for this post:
  #2  
Old 06.09.2020, 18:27
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 18,676
Groaned at 354 Times in 283 Posts
Thanked 18,385 Times in 9,921 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My e-scooter gets stolen, what I can do now

Quote:
View Post
Today, I left my e-scooter (cost about 500chf) aside the Starbuck and then have coffee and stayed inside Starbuck. When I left, I found my e-scooter gone. I asked the stuff there and they do not know about this.

What is the best I can do for this? Reported to the police? I only have basic health insurance and I think I may not be able to get compensated by the insurance company for this
Did you lock it? If not even with insurance you not get paid as this is gross negligence. If you have no insurance, your 'self insured' so you need to cover your own loss.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 06.09.2020, 19:39
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,691
Groaned at 34 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 983 Times in 589 Posts
Landers has an excellent reputationLanders has an excellent reputationLanders has an excellent reputationLanders has an excellent reputation
Re: My e-scooter gets stolen, what I can do now

If you want any chance of getting it back reporting it to the police would be better than not.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Landers for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 06.09.2020, 19:48
John_H's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Up above Nyon
Posts: 3,666
Groaned at 100 Times in 62 Posts
Thanked 4,678 Times in 1,853 Posts
John_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My e-scooter gets stolen, what I can do now

Little tip for next time.. They are fairly hard to lock up since a chain for example can just slip over it, same with many U locks..

I use a pair of handcuffs, tightens nicely around the stem.. And people might think it belongs to a cop
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank John_H for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 06.09.2020, 19:52
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 18,676
Groaned at 354 Times in 283 Posts
Thanked 18,385 Times in 9,921 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My e-scooter gets stolen, what I can do now

Quote:
View Post
I use a pair of handcuffs, tightens nicely around the stem.. And people might think it belongs to a cop
Great excuse to have handcuffs, however I believe the keys are pretty much the same.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 06.09.2020, 20:01
John_H's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Up above Nyon
Posts: 3,666
Groaned at 100 Times in 62 Posts
Thanked 4,678 Times in 1,853 Posts
John_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My e-scooter gets stolen, what I can do now

Quote:
View Post
Great excuse to have handcuffs, however I believe the keys are pretty much the same.
You're dead right about the keys.. Although i don't really leave mine anywhere that can't pretty much see it.. It's just that extra 30 secs of inconvenience for the thief.

I actually bought them from an 'adult accessories shop' online, couldn't find a decent pair elsewhere.. They kindly sent me some free samples of lube and a selection of condoms. Extra safe.
Reply With Quote
The following 17 users would like to thank John_H for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 06.09.2020, 22:00
The_Love_Doctor's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zugerberg, Zug
Posts: 3,266
Groaned at 71 Times in 55 Posts
Thanked 3,665 Times in 1,734 Posts
The_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My e-scooter gets stolen, what I can do now

Quote:
View Post
You're dead right about the keys.. Although i don't really leave mine anywhere that can't pretty much see it.. It's just that extra 30 secs of inconvenience for the thief.

I actually bought them from an 'adult accessories shop' online, couldn't find a decent pair elsewhere.. They kindly sent me some free samples of lube and a selection of condoms. Extra safe.
Could you kindly pm the link to the site, Iím thinking of buying an E-Scooter myself and I would like to make sure I have a fail safe way to lock it before I do go ahead and buy it!
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank The_Love_Doctor for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 06.09.2020, 22:12
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 21,358
Groaned at 369 Times in 284 Posts
Thanked 16,152 Times in 9,177 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My e-scooter gets stolen, what I can do now

Quote:
View Post
Today, I left my e-scooter (cost about 500chf) aside the Starbuck and then have coffee and stayed inside Starbuck. When I left, I found my e-scooter gone. I asked the stuff there and they do not know about this.

What is the best I can do for this? Reported to the police? I only have basic health insurance and I think I may not be able to get compensated by the insurance company for this
What has health insurance got to do with it?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 06.09.2020, 22:45
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Basel
Posts: 1,691
Groaned at 34 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 983 Times in 589 Posts
Landers has an excellent reputationLanders has an excellent reputationLanders has an excellent reputationLanders has an excellent reputation
Re: My e-scooter gets stolen, what I can do now

Quote:
View Post
What has health insurance got to do with it?

He's telling us he's not knowingly insured for this event because the only insurance he has is health insurance.


Maybe some other insurance can magically appear but more than unlikely unless he bought it on a credit card which had insurance, even then they probably wouldn't pay out.


Or maybe he wants access to Starbuck's CCTV recordings or thinks the Starbucks staff took it.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Landers for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 06.09.2020, 22:48
The_Love_Doctor's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zugerberg, Zug
Posts: 3,266
Groaned at 71 Times in 55 Posts
Thanked 3,665 Times in 1,734 Posts
The_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Love_Doctor has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My e-scooter gets stolen, what I can do now

Is it Friday already?? I lost track if days WFH!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank The_Love_Doctor for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 07.09.2020, 13:40
Squeeeez's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Frauenfeld
Posts: 960
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 926 Times in 425 Posts
Squeeeez has a reputation beyond reputeSqueeeez has a reputation beyond reputeSqueeeez has a reputation beyond reputeSqueeeez has a reputation beyond reputeSqueeeez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My e-scooter gets stolen, what I can do now

Quote:
View Post
Little tip for next time.. They are fairly hard to lock up since a chain for example can just slip over it, same with many U locks..

I use a pair of handcuffs, tightens nicely around the stem.. And people might think it belongs to a cop

Are they fluffy? What colour?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Squeeeez for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 07.09.2020, 13:47
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 7,976
Groaned at 332 Times in 274 Posts
Thanked 10,304 Times in 5,441 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My e-scooter gets stolen, what I can do now

Quote:
View Post
I actually bought them from an 'adult accessories shop' online, couldn't find a decent pair elsewhere.. They kindly sent me some free samples of lube and a selection of condoms. Extra safe.
So you have to pull the condoms over the handcuffs to make them decent?

You learn something new every day.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Urs Max for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 07.09.2020, 13:49
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,460
Groaned at 952 Times in 672 Posts
Thanked 17,316 Times in 6,798 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My e-scooter gets stolen, what I can do now

Quote:
View Post
Today, I left my e-scooter (cost about 500chf) aside the Starbuck and then have coffee and stayed inside Starbuck. When I left, I found my e-scooter gone. I asked the stuff there and they do not know about this.

What is the best I can do for this? Reported to the police? I only have basic health insurance and I think I may not be able to get compensated by the insurance company for this
You have reported it to EF, there's nothing else you need to do and your scooter should be back with you by tomorrow lunchtime.

PS: I am kidding, you should report it to the police and I'm sorry you had your scooter stolen, that sucks. However you should NEVER leave a scooter outside and unattended with no security, that is just foolish... next time lock it up or take it inside with you!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Chuff for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 07.09.2020, 13:51
Ato Ato is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: ZH
Posts: 907
Groaned at 12 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 1,489 Times in 635 Posts
Ato has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond reputeAto has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My e-scooter gets stolen, what I can do now

Quote:
View Post
So you have to pull the condoms over the handcuffs to make them decent?

You learn something new every day.
I'd put them over the handlebars to prevent mess and keep things squeaky clean.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07.09.2020, 13:54
Sean Connery's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5,026
Groaned at 55 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 6,636 Times in 3,026 Posts
Sean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond reputeSean Connery has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My e-scooter gets stolen, what I can do now

Quote:
View Post
You're dead right about the keys.. Although i don't really leave mine anywhere that can't pretty much see it.. It's just that extra 30 secs of inconvenience for the thief.

I actually bought them from an 'adult accessories shop' online, couldn't find a decent pair elsewhere.. They kindly sent me some free samples of lube and a selection of condoms. Extra safe.
interesting fact.... my mate told me a story of how he visited one of those shops in the US a couple of years ago as he forgot to take his handcuffs with him on his honeymoon. They apparently don't sell them in the US because they can cut off the circulation to the hands if used wrongly and that leads to injury, possibly loss of hands and, of course, worst case, a bloody law suit.

The velcro ones available in the store he used to secure his e-scooter in San Francisco but, to his distain, it was stolen when secured with them.

Observations I have:
1. If you go to the US and need proper handcuffs, bring your own
2. It might have been the same perp who stole the darn scooter?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sean Connery for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 07.09.2020, 14:02
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 18,676
Groaned at 354 Times in 283 Posts
Thanked 18,385 Times in 9,921 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: My e-scooter gets stolen, what I can do now

Quote:
View Post
interesting fact.... my mate told me a story of how he visited one of those shops in the US a couple of years ago as he forgot to take his handcuffs with him on his honeymoon. They apparently don't sell them in the US because they can cut off the circulation to the hands if used wrongly and that leads to injury, possibly loss of hands and, of course, worst case, a bloody law suit.

The velcro ones available in the store he used to secure his e-scooter in San Francisco but, to his distain, it was stolen when secured with them.

Observations I have:
1. If you go to the US and need proper handcuffs, bring your own
2. It might have been the same perp who stole the darn scooter?
Thats really odd, I remember ordering some toys from the US in the days of dial up internet. They are still in business https://www.stockroom.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lost & found




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stolen papers....:( Steven Permits/visas/government 18 22.08.2020 19:50
Stolen car story HIAO Daily life 57 27.03.2017 19:38
Bicycle got stolen AGAIN maloan Daily life 29 05.08.2011 10:03
Stolen KABA key Wingnut Other/general 28 12.06.2011 01:05
My new bike was stolen MaKita Complaints corner 7 16.07.2009 00:05


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0