Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 09.11.2020, 19:48
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Up there over the fog
Posts: 1,042
Groaned at 136 Times in 108 Posts
Thanked 1,291 Times in 612 Posts
JackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus mink scare - travel to & from Denmark banned ?

Even when killing for food- there are ways- and ways. Imagine getting lots of cows and calves in a small field, and letting men loose killing them by stabbing wildly with knives- with animals witnessing the stabbing of their own off-spring. NO.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank JackieH for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 09.11.2020, 20:00
Talk to you later's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: ZH
Posts: 777
Groaned at 42 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 1,383 Times in 544 Posts
Talk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus mink scare - travel to & from Denmark banned ?

Quote:
View Post
Even when killing for food- there are ways- and ways. Imagine getting lots of cows and calves in a small field, and letting men loose killing them by stabbing wildly with knives- with animals witnessing the stabbing of their own off-spring. NO.


Cognitive Dissonance?

Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09.11.2020, 20:21
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 3,048
Groaned at 50 Times in 47 Posts
Thanked 3,601 Times in 1,643 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus mink scare - travel to & from Denmark banned ?

Quote:
View Post
Even when killing for food- there are ways- and ways. Imagine getting lots of cows and calves in a small field, and letting men loose killing them by stabbing wildly with knives- with animals witnessing the stabbing of their own off-spring. NO.
What has this got to do with killing mink with CO gas, which is the normal mechanism?

I'm against the fur trade, but hysterical false examples don't really help the cause.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09.11.2020, 20:37
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Up there over the fog
Posts: 1,042
Groaned at 136 Times in 108 Posts
Thanked 1,291 Times in 612 Posts
JackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus mink scare - travel to & from Denmark banned ?

Responding to the posts about the Faroe Islands 'whale killing festival'.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09.11.2020, 21:06
Cherub's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Baselstadt
Posts: 713
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 838 Times in 367 Posts
Cherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond reputeCherub has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus mink scare - travel to & from Denmark banned ?

"Could this see Britains favourite Danish bacon disappearing from British supermarket shelves
before Christmas ?"

I only buy bacon from a local farm when I'm back in Britain, a far superior product
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09.11.2020, 22:43
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,244
Groaned at 137 Times in 96 Posts
Thanked 9,046 Times in 3,422 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus mink scare - travel to & from Denmark banned ?

Quote:
View Post
Even when killing for food- there are ways- and ways. Imagine getting lots of cows and calves in a small field, and letting men loose killing them by stabbing wildly with knives- with animals witnessing the stabbing of their own off-spring. NO.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gadhimai_festival
There you go.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09.11.2020, 22:49
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 29,663
Groaned at 2,103 Times in 1,570 Posts
Thanked 35,440 Times in 16,812 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus mink scare - travel to & from Denmark banned ?

Quote:
View Post
I hope that is a joke...
Nope.

I always order it when I go to Norway.

Tom
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users groan at st2lemans for this post:
  #28  
Old 10.11.2020, 00:01
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 1,208
Groaned at 28 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 1,639 Times in 845 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus mink scare - travel to & from Denmark banned ?

Quote:
View Post
I gather you all don't use leather products or consume butchered animals either? As fur consumption is exactly same as wearing leather products or eating meat


Does your wife know that you call her a whale?
Well I don't.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank HickvonFrick for this useful post:
  #29  
Old 10.11.2020, 08:11
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 29,663
Groaned at 2,103 Times in 1,570 Posts
Thanked 35,440 Times in 16,812 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus mink scare - travel to & from Denmark banned ?

Quote:
View Post
Does your wife know that you call her a whale?
At 55kg, she is far from being a whale.

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 10.11.2020, 21:37
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: LaCote
Posts: 624
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 1,040 Times in 409 Posts
Sigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus mink scare - travel to & from Denmark banned ?

https://www.20min.ch/fr/story/abatta...r-938146760214

"Mink slaughter: "We made a mistake"
The Danish Minister of Agriculture admitted on Tuesday that the widespread slaughter campaign aimed at combating a problematic mutation of the coronavirus was not legally justified."

https://www.expressen.se/kvallsposte...kar-i-sverige/

"It is now high time to learn and realize that the industrial animal factories we have built in our modern society are not only problematic from an animal welfare perspective but also pose a major real threat to public health."

Last edited by Sigh; 10.11.2020 at 21:43. Reason: Added info
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Sigh for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 11.11.2020, 10:16
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bern
Posts: 1,021
Groaned at 185 Times in 114 Posts
Thanked 1,925 Times in 688 Posts
Susie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus mink scare - travel to & from Denmark banned ?

Quote:
View Post
I gather you all don't use leather products or consume butchered animals either? As fur consumption is exactly same as wearing leather products or eating meat
There is a major difference between consuming food for survival and vanity. Fur is not necessary for survival in these parts...

Humans in general consume far too many animal products and the poor creatures suffer as a result.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11.11.2020, 10:40
Talk to you later's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: ZH
Posts: 777
Groaned at 42 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 1,383 Times in 544 Posts
Talk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus mink scare - travel to & from Denmark banned ?

Quote:
View Post
There is a major difference between consuming food for survival and vanity. Fur is not necessary for survival in these parts...
In the west NO ONE needs animal products for survival. Many make excuses but medically we can live a healthy life on non-animal products. People value their taste buds more than the life of an animal.

Quote:
Humans in general consume far too many animal products and the poor creatures suffer as a result.
How about not causing any suffering at all? It is like saying- "I beat my wife only on weekends, unlike my neighbour who beats her daily".
From animal's POV the suffering is same whether killed for fur, leather or meat! If you really care about poor animals then you should align your actions with your values, otherwise it is all just virtue signalling
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Talk to you later for this useful post:
  #33  
Old 11.11.2020, 10:58
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bern
Posts: 1,021
Groaned at 185 Times in 114 Posts
Thanked 1,925 Times in 688 Posts
Susie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus mink scare - travel to & from Denmark banned ?

Quote:
View Post
In the west NO ONE needs animal products for survival. Many make excuses but medically we can live a healthy life on non-animal products. People value their taste buds more than the life of an animal.
Absolutely not true. I suffer from a condition that causes severe anaemia ... I receive regular iron infusions and I still need meat to survive. I tried to be a vegetarian (and I primarily am), but ended up in the hospital with a severe scolding from medical professionals. I do believe some can live without meat products, but your blanket judgement is incorrect.

I buy all of my meat from a local farm - I spend a small fortune doing so knowing that the animal had a far better life than most farmed ones. I can admit guilt with my consumption of dairy as it is not necessary for my survival...I have tried my best to reduce it in recent years.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Susie-Q for this useful post:
  #34  
Old 11.11.2020, 11:57
Talk to you later's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: ZH
Posts: 777
Groaned at 42 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 1,383 Times in 544 Posts
Talk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus mink scare - travel to & from Denmark banned ?

Quote:
View Post
Absolutely not true. I suffer from a condition that causes severe anaemia ... I receive regular iron infusions and I still need meat to survive. I tried to be a vegetarian (and I primarily am), but ended up in the hospital with a severe scolding from medical professionals. I do believe some can live without meat products, but your blanket judgement is incorrect.

I buy all of my meat from a local farm - I spend a small fortune doing so knowing that the animal had a far better life than most farmed ones. I can admit guilt with my consumption of dairy as it is not necessary for my survival...I have tried my best to reduce it in recent years.
The fact that you need regular iron infusion indicates that your condition is most likely genetic defect related? Otherwise, should your Heme rich meat eating not have fixed it?

I know extremely active sporty people with iron/anaemia/blood oxygen level related unsolvable genetic defects doing ok on plant based diet. Could it be that you were not fully clued-up about healthy, nutritionally rich, plant based diet? Not an attack but many don't when they quit meat eating. For example, eating salads, fruits and crisps won't provide all the nutrients you need

Overwhelming majority of meat comes from mass-production factories. Like I said, if you take the life of a sentient mammal without their consent, then it does not matter if it comes from organic or non-organic farm. Does your local farmer not separate calves from their mother to harvest their milk? Does he not shove his arm up their back side to make them repeatedly pregnant? Anyway, a dead animal does not care if you paid CHF 5 or CHF100 for their flesh. Everyone is free to do whatever they want.

Your local goat herder
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Talk to you later for this useful post:
  #35  
Old 11.11.2020, 12:31
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: LaCote
Posts: 624
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 1,040 Times in 409 Posts
Sigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus mink scare - travel to & from Denmark banned ?

Quote:
View Post
The fact that you need regular iron infusion indicates that your condition is most likely genetic defect related? Otherwise, should your Heme rich meat eating not have fixed it?

I know extremely active sporty people with iron/anaemia/blood oxygen level related unsolvable genetic defects doing ok on plant based diet. Could it be that you were not fully clued-up about healthy, nutritionally rich, plant based diet? Not an attack but many don't when they quit meat eating. For example, eating salads, fruits and crisps won't provide all the nutrients you need

Overwhelming majority of meat comes from mass-production factories. Like I said, if you take the life of a sentient mammal without their consent, then it does not matter if it comes from organic or non-organic farm. Does your local farmer not separate calves from their mother to harvest their milk? Does he not shove his arm up their back side to make them repeatedly pregnant? Anyway, a dead animal does not care if you paid CHF 5 or CHF100 for their flesh. Everyone is free to do whatever they want.

Your local goat herder
True, when I decided to become vegetarian I switched gradually by first removing chicken, then red meat etc. It took me a while, but allowed me to become familiar with what I need.
Vit B12 is one of those tricky things even more tricky for vegans that dont take any dairy products at all.
I have my iron, vit B levels etc checked once a year. Stopping meat has cleared a lot of problems I had such as acidity etc. Plus I am more curious to try different dishes, while when still eating meat it was easy to just order a steak
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sigh for this useful post:
  #36  
Old 11.11.2020, 12:36
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Bern
Posts: 1,021
Groaned at 185 Times in 114 Posts
Thanked 1,925 Times in 688 Posts
Susie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond reputeSusie-Q has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus mink scare - travel to & from Denmark banned ?

I would prefer not to share my medical conditions on here, but it involves internal bleeding. I eat a very healthy nutrient rich diet with plenty of high iron vegetarian protein (legumes etc.) and have done so since childhood.

No, the farmer I buy from does not do those things, the amount of money is not the difference here...it is the way the animal is treated that increases the price. He does not separate the calf from the mother before 10 months and there is no artificial insemination.

I very much understand your point and wish I could be a vegetarian, but I know my pets wouldn't survive without meat and the same goes for me. It is the way my life is and I do my best to consume mindfully.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Susie-Q for this useful post:
  #37  
Old 11.11.2020, 12:37
Talk to you later's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: ZH
Posts: 777
Groaned at 42 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 1,383 Times in 544 Posts
Talk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus mink scare - travel to & from Denmark banned ?

Quote:
Vit B12 is one of those tricky things even more tricky for vegans that dont take any dairy products at all.
I have my iron, vit B levels etc checked once a year.
Nothing tricky, take a B12 tablet every day. It is no different to taking Cow's milk, cereal etc that are fortified with vitamins etc.

Good idea doing blood work every year. I try to do every 6 months to fine tune things and be on top of my nutritional needs

Last edited by Talk to you later; 11.11.2020 at 12:47.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Talk to you later for this useful post:
  #38  
Old 11.11.2020, 12:45
Talk to you later's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: ZH
Posts: 777
Groaned at 42 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 1,383 Times in 544 Posts
Talk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus mink scare - travel to & from Denmark banned ?

Quote:
View Post
I would prefer not to share my medical conditions on here, but it involves internal bleeding. I eat a very healthy nutrient rich diet with plenty of high iron vegetarian protein (legumes etc.) and have done so since childhood.

No, the farmer I buy from does not do those things, the amount of money is not the difference here...it is the way the animal is treated that increases the price. He does not separate the calf from the mother before 10 months and there is no artificial insemination.

I very much understand your point and wish I could be a vegetarian, but I know my pets wouldn't survive without meat and the same goes for me. It is the way my life is and I do my best to consume mindfully.

I think I can guess what you have, one of my Vegan female friend has something similar. I can make more follow-up points but let us just leave it and not make it about your personal medical situation. I have said what I had to anyway. I wish you all the best
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 11.11.2020, 13:09
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: LaCote
Posts: 624
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 1,040 Times in 409 Posts
Sigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Coronavirus mink scare - travel to & from Denmark banned ?

Quote:
View Post
Nothing tricky, take a B12 tablet every day. It is no different to taking Cow's milk, cereal etc that are fortified with vitamins etc.

Good idea doing blood work every year. I try to do every 6 months to fine tune things and be on top of my nutritional needs
I do take extra vit B12, I just included it since B12 is mainly present in read meat so it is something to think about when considering going green
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Travel insurance - Coronavirus-related eng_ch Insurance 19 03.04.2020 20:42
Sparrows ... Anything to scare them? John_H General off-topic 28 03.07.2017 15:22
A scare in the night josquius Housing in general 16 03.03.2016 14:49
Two words that scare you PlantHead General off-topic 181 20.08.2010 14:02
BOO!!!!! (Did I scare you :) ) Rax Introductions 7 02.09.2009 16:26


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:04.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0