Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #241  
Old 30.03.2020, 17:46
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 11,056
Groaned at 85 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 18,531 Times in 8,269 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Border closure - Covid 19

Quote:
View Post
Swiss citizens stuck abroad can now use the Travel Admin App
https://www.eda.admin.ch/eda/en/fdfa...admin-app.html
to get in touch with services to help bring them home.
Mr Wishes recommended I try that when I was still Stateside. It didn't work and would not install, saying my operating system was incompatible. My phone isn't THAT old and it's an android system, but I guess old enough.
Reply With Quote
  #242  
Old 30.03.2020, 18:01
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 7,866
Groaned at 85 Times in 69 Posts
Thanked 11,652 Times in 4,732 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Border closure - Covid 19

I'm not sure, but since it was mentioned in today's 30.03.2020 Federal Council's press conference, perhaps it's been re-worked or updated.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank doropfiz for this useful post:
  #243  
Old 30.03.2020, 21:31
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Portugal
Posts: 8
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
galineu has no particular reputation at present
Re: Border closure - Covid 19

Hi,
I'm doing a Master's project with a company in Lausanne, but given the uncertainty about this I had to make the decision 10 days ago to fly back to Portugal and keep working from home.
I'm registered at the population office and have an attestation proving that, but I don't yet have a permit because it takes months to process.
Right now I don't need to come back, but if this situation persists for many months I'll eventually need to come back to finish the work.
I read in the COVID ordinance that you need to either have a permit or a certificate that you are employed (confirmation d'annonce/Meldebestätigung). In that case, if need be, the company could declare me as being employed there for a few months in order to allow me in? Has anyone had experience with this?
Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #244  
Old 30.03.2020, 22:04
curley's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: canton ZH
Posts: 12,409
Groaned at 204 Times in 169 Posts
Thanked 14,139 Times in 7,329 Posts
curley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond reputecurley has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Border closure - Covid 19

Quote:
View Post
Hi,
I'm doing a Master's project with a company in Lausanne, but given the uncertainty about this I had to make the decision 10 days ago to fly back to Portugal and keep working from home.
I'm registered at the population office and have an attestation proving that, but I don't yet have a permit because it takes months to process.
Right now I don't need to come back, but if this situation persists for many months I'll eventually need to come back to finish the work.
I read in the COVID ordinance that you need to either have a permit or a certificate that you are employed (confirmation d'annonce/Meldebestätigung). In that case, if need be, the company could declare me as being employed there for a few months in order to allow me in? Has anyone had experience with this?
Thank you.
No. At the moment you need a permit. A contract is not enough to cross the border.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank curley for this useful post:
  #245  
Old 04.04.2020, 14:10
Clumsy Maman's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Kt Zurich
Posts: 824
Groaned at 9 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 1,167 Times in 511 Posts
Clumsy Maman has a reputation beyond reputeClumsy Maman has a reputation beyond reputeClumsy Maman has a reputation beyond reputeClumsy Maman has a reputation beyond reputeClumsy Maman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Border closure - Covid 19

Has anyone recently crossed the CH-DE border by car? We desperately need to travel to NL for a family emergency, and wondering whether this is a possibility at all.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #246  
Old 04.04.2020, 14:28
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Border closure - Covid 19

Quote:
View Post
Has anyone recently crossed the CH-DE border by car? We desperately need to travel to NL for a family emergency, and wondering whether this is a possibility at all.

Thanks!

Really sorry to hear that and hope your family emergency is not too serious. My inability to travel is my greatest fear in case of emergency with my family in UK. Do you have a Dutch passport? If so, you might be able to show it and claim you are returning home to NL. On the way back show your Swiss permit and again claim returning home
Reply With Quote
  #247  
Old 04.04.2020, 14:30
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,927
Groaned at 361 Times in 302 Posts
Thanked 13,587 Times in 6,370 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Border closure - Covid 19

Quote:
View Post
Has anyone recently crossed the CH-DE border by car? We desperately need to travel to NL for a family emergency, and wondering whether this is a possibility at all.

Thanks!
Yes, still possible if you have a dutch passport and can show the urgency.


Good luck en veilige reis!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #248  
Old 04.04.2020, 14:32
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 22,019
Groaned at 404 Times in 313 Posts
Thanked 16,971 Times in 9,563 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Border closure - Covid 19

Quote:
View Post
Has anyone recently crossed the CH-DE border by car? We desperately need to travel to NL for a family emergency, and wondering whether this is a possibility at all.

Thanks!
You'd need to check with the border control in Germany. Transits may still be possible so long as you're not stopping anywhere.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Medea Fleecestealer for this useful post:
  #249  
Old 04.04.2020, 14:32
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Border closure - Covid 19

Quote:
View Post
Has anyone recently crossed the CH-DE border by car? We desperately need to travel to NL for a family emergency, and wondering whether this is a possibility at all.

Thanks!
Get a paper from the Netherlands as proof of the emergency if possible (like by e-mail, and than print here), once you have that there should be no problems going there.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #250  
Old 04.04.2020, 14:35
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Border closure - Covid 19

Quote:
View Post
You'd need to check with the border control in Germany. Transits may still be possible so long as you're not stopping anywhere.
Stopping is allowed just like filling up the fuel or eating, going of the route for shopping, nature walks or whatever is not allowed and fines can be in the thousands.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #251  
Old 04.04.2020, 15:15
Clumsy Maman's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Kt Zurich
Posts: 824
Groaned at 9 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 1,167 Times in 511 Posts
Clumsy Maman has a reputation beyond reputeClumsy Maman has a reputation beyond reputeClumsy Maman has a reputation beyond reputeClumsy Maman has a reputation beyond reputeClumsy Maman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Border closure - Covid 19

Quote:
View Post
Do you have a Dutch passport? If so, you might be able to show it and claim you are returning home to NL. On the way back show your Swiss permit and again claim returning home
My OH and kids have Dutch passports, but I have a GB one. Hoping that seeing that we are travelling as a family, I might get through. At least my OH has my name in his passport - a quirky Dutch thing , where it states he is the spouse of X. So we’ll see.

Quote:
View Post
Good luck en veilige reis!
Dank je wel! We need luck!

Quote:
Get a paper from the Netherlands as proof of the emergency if possible (like by e-mail, and than print here), once you have that there should be no problems going there.
We were able to get a letter to confirm the emergency - here’s hoping that we do not come across an over-zealous Beamter!
Reply With Quote
  #252  
Old 04.04.2020, 17:46
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Basel
Posts: 21
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 27 Times in 12 Posts
IcePanda has no particular reputation at present
Crossing the Border in times of Corona

Hello all

I feel I should know the answer to this one, but apparently I don't :-)

I have a prescription from my doctor for medicine not available in Switzerland and have been told to go pick it up in Germany.

Now under non-Corona times maybe that would have been straightforward? One just pops over the border and picks it up, as it's for personal use? It's not something I've done before I must say, but some research seems to lead me to think that's do-able and legal. You don't know me, but if you did, you'd know I do like to abide by the rules :-).

In any case, I am thinking now, what bag of worms is opened in the time of Corona? I know the borders are closed for shopping for groceries, but in this instance, I'm wondering if there would be any tolerance. Gut feeling says "you've got to be kidding", but perhaps I'm being too pessimistic....

If anyone has any insights or similar experiences, please do let me know.

Many thanks
IP
Reply With Quote
  #253  
Old 04.04.2020, 17:51
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 10,927
Groaned at 361 Times in 302 Posts
Thanked 13,587 Times in 6,370 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Crossing the Border in times of Corona

Looks like a big No.

https://www.bundespolizei.de/Web/DE/...00317_faq.html

Unless you have a German passport
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #254  
Old 04.04.2020, 18:13
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 4,606
Groaned at 237 Times in 173 Posts
Thanked 6,292 Times in 2,958 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Crossing the Border in times of Corona

Can you call the pharmacy in Germany and ask them to mail it?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank bowlie for this useful post:
  #255  
Old 04.04.2020, 20:59
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Basel
Posts: 21
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 27 Times in 12 Posts
IcePanda has no particular reputation at present
Re: Crossing the Border in times of Corona

Quote:
View Post
Can you call the pharmacy in Germany and ask them to mail it?
Thanks! Yes that’s for sure another route. I’m not sure how held up in customs any shipment may be though. Could however be my only option.
Reply With Quote
This user groans at IcePanda for this post:
  #256  
Old 04.04.2020, 21:27
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 4,606
Groaned at 237 Times in 173 Posts
Thanked 6,292 Times in 2,958 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Crossing the Border in times of Corona

If it costs less than f64, including postage, they shouldn’t even look at it.
Reply With Quote
  #257  
Old 04.04.2020, 21:30
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 11,056
Groaned at 85 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 18,531 Times in 8,269 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Crossing the Border in times of Corona

Quote:
View Post
...I have a prescription from my doctor for medicine not available in Switzerland...
Is it legal here? Before you go asking them to mail it, worth asking the question.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank 3Wishes for this useful post:
  #258  
Old 05.04.2020, 09:50
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Basel
Posts: 21
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 27 Times in 12 Posts
IcePanda has no particular reputation at present
Re: Crossing the Border in times of Corona

Quote:
View Post
Is it legal here? Before you go asking them to mail it, worth asking the question.
Thanks 3Wishes!

I suppose that leads to another (perhaps fundamental) question - where can one find out about what medication is just not available in CH, and what medication is not legal/banned? I'm assuming there is a difference? (or maybe not?...).

If something is available in Germany, but not Switzerland, is it prohibited from taking this on Swiss soil?

I did find another EF post which mentioned online shopping (which this isn't as I have a prescription) with a rather hefty fine for purchasing something seemingly innocent like hair growth tablets... don't want to find myself in a similar situation.

As said, I feel I should really know these answers, but don't and don't find a source other than Swissmedic, which doesn't lead me to the answers.

Thanks again! I appreciate to have a second opinion on this one.
Reply With Quote
  #259  
Old 05.04.2020, 10:08
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Crossing the Border in times of Corona

Quote:
View Post
Thanks 3Wishes!

I suppose that leads to another (perhaps fundamental) question - where can one find out about what medication is just not available in CH, and what medication is not legal/banned? I'm assuming there is a difference? (or maybe not?...).

If something is available in Germany, but not Switzerland, is it prohibited from taking this on Swiss soil?

I did find another EF post which mentioned online shopping (which this isn't as I have a prescription) with a rather hefty fine for purchasing something seemingly innocent like hair growth tablets... don't want to find myself in a similar situation.

As said, I feel I should really know these answers, but don't and don't find a source other than Swissmedic, which doesn't lead me to the answers.

Thanks again! I appreciate to have a second opinion on this one.

Last year when the dog was really ill the vet wanted to do a test for Addison's which involved giving him a injection and testing his blood before and after. Whatever was in the injection was not easily available in Switzerland. I have friends in France and they enquired on getting the medication in France. They spoke to the local pharmacy who confirmed they could accept a Swiss prescription even from a Swiss vet and I planned to go and pick it up. In the end the specialist that he was referred to had the medication in stock. (Test was negative)

That said, pharmacies must be highly regulated and would only fill a Swiss prescription if they are legally allowed to. In normal circumstances, if you were stopped at the Swiss border, I wouldn't think they would query a prescription in your name and dispensed by a pharmacy.

In the current circumstances, getting the medication to you is a different matter. Are there any courier services that are allowed to cross back and forth to collect and deliver with correct paperwork?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #260  
Old 05.04.2020, 10:16
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 12,811
Groaned at 208 Times in 184 Posts
Thanked 21,006 Times in 8,632 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Crossing the Border in times of Corona

Quote:
View Post
Thanks 3Wishes!

I suppose that leads to another (perhaps fundamental) question - where can one find out about what medication is just not available in CH, and what medication is not legal/banned? I'm assuming there is a difference? (or maybe not?...).

If something is available in Germany, but not Switzerland, is it prohibited from taking this on Swiss soil?

I did find another EF post which mentioned online shopping (which this isn't as I have a prescription) with a rather hefty fine for purchasing something seemingly innocent like hair growth tablets... don't want to find myself in a similar situation.

As said, I feel I should really know these answers, but don't and don't find a source other than Swissmedic, which doesn't lead me to the answers.

Thanks again! I appreciate to have a second opinion on this one.
Where did you get the prescription from?

I know people get vaccines from France because they are not available here but they are not forbidden in Switzerland. A prescription from a Swiss doctor is honoured in France and the vaccine is then administered by the aforementioned doctor.

Presumably if it is a Swiss doctor issuing the prescription they will know whether the medication is allowed here or not even if it is actually unavailable here.
It may also be possible for a Swiss pharmacy to source a medication from outside Switzerland even though it is not normally available here. It could be worth asking them.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
border, corona, coronavirus, covid, germany, germany switzerland, travel




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
shopping over the border Guest Complaints corner 177 12.01.2018 09:11
Shopping on Sundays Across The Border weolmd Other/general 19 18.06.2017 15:09
Shopping across the border near Basel Zot55 Food and drink 13 08.06.2015 09:40
Shopping over the border.... sandaleen Daily life 88 03.09.2011 12:50


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:13.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0