Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1101  
Old 25.05.2021, 14:31
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 1,352
Groaned at 498 Times in 290 Posts
Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,443 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Travelling across the border for shopping

Quote:
View Post
From Zürich, most of the times I go to Lörach.
What open border are you talking about it?
That one close to Weil am Rhein?
That's the one, the borders between Germany and France are far less likely to be manned than those between Switzerland and France.
Reply With Quote
  #1102  
Old 25.05.2021, 14:31
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: zurich
Posts: 33
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
tuareg has no particular reputation at present
Re: Travelling across the border for shopping

Quote:
View Post
Just too annoying if they check your car on the way back?
They will find some shopping but not so much.
Some packages that are in France since February and now I need it.
Reply With Quote
  #1103  
Old 25.05.2021, 14:33
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: zurich
Posts: 33
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
tuareg has no particular reputation at present
Re: Travelling across the border for shopping

Quote:
View Post
That's the one, the borders between Germany and France are far less likely to be manned than those between Switzerland and France.
And why? Is Switzerland more dangerous than Germany or only because Germany is EU? :-) :-)
Reply With Quote
  #1104  
Old 25.05.2021, 14:40
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 1,352
Groaned at 498 Times in 290 Posts
Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,443 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Travelling across the border for shopping

Quote:
View Post
And why? Is Switzerland more dangerous than Germany or only because Germany is EU? :-) :-)
There are actual border posts between Switzerland and France/Germany. They tore down all the border posts between France and Germany not long after I arrived in Switzerland, I guess in the early 2000s.

The border posts when travelling into France at Basel or into Germany are rarely manned in my experience. Even during the height of the pandemic I drove into Germany and was surprised to find no one there to check the reason for crossing over. I've not seen anyone at the border between Germany and France since all the posts were removed.

I guess this is a long winded way of saying I don't know
Reply With Quote
  #1105  
Old 25.05.2021, 14:45
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: zurich
Posts: 33
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
tuareg has no particular reputation at present
Re: Travelling across the border for shopping

Quote:
View Post
There are actual border posts between Switzerland and France/Germany. They tore down all the border posts between France and Germany not long after I arrived in Switzerland, I guess in the early 2000s.

The border posts when travelling into France at Basel or into Germany are rarely manned in my experience. Even during the height of the pandemic I drove into Germany and was surprised to find no one there to check the reason for crossing over. I've not seen anyone at the border between Germany and France since all the posts were removed.

I guess this is a long winded way of saying I don't know

Do you remember when France was under terrorist attacks?
There was a military block at the border in the motorway from Lörach to Mulhouse. I recall I have seen for several months...
Reply With Quote
  #1106  
Old 25.05.2021, 16:08
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 13,055
Groaned at 228 Times in 192 Posts
Thanked 21,547 Times in 8,832 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Travelling across the border for shopping

Quote:
View Post
Do you remember when France was under terrorist attacks?
There was a military block at the border in the motorway from Lörach to Mulhouse. I recall I have seen for several months...
France also has mobile patrols so you might not be stopped at the border but could be pulled over at any time and I would imagine a Zurich plated car would be a target.
Up to you if you want to take the risk, the chances of being stopped are probably still pretty low but higher than they were in prey-Covid times.
Reply With Quote
  #1107  
Old 25.05.2021, 16:57
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: zurich
Posts: 33
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
tuareg has no particular reputation at present
Re: Travelling across the border for shopping

Quote:
View Post
France also has mobile patrols so you might not be stopped at the border but could be pulled over at any time and I would imagine a Zurich plated car would be a target.
Up to you if you want to take the risk, the chances of being stopped are probably still pretty low but higher than they were in prey-Covid times.

Ok. Is there any chance France is going to ease restrictions soon?
Germany and Austria already did it.
Reply With Quote
  #1108  
Old 25.05.2021, 19:15
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 1,352
Groaned at 498 Times in 290 Posts
Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,443 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Travelling across the border for shopping

Quote:
View Post
Do you remember when France was under terrorist attacks?
There was a military block at the border in the motorway from Lörach to Mulhouse. I recall I have seen for several months...
Yes, but those were different circumstances. Basically it comes down to what amount of risk you're willing to tolerate. The chances are if you nip across to Saint-Louis/Mulhouse that nothing will happen, however there is still a small chance you could get checked.

Quote:
View Post
Ok. Is there any chance France is going to ease restrictions soon?
Germany and Austria already did it.
I believe they'll open up again on 9th June, so not too long to wait.
Reply With Quote
  #1109  
Old 25.05.2021, 21:18
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 10,569
Groaned at 472 Times in 405 Posts
Thanked 19,379 Times in 10,230 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Travelling across the border for shopping

Quote:
View Post
And why? Is Switzerland more dangerous than Germany or only because Germany is EU? :-) :-)
Because Switzerland has a Customs border with the EU.
Reply With Quote
  #1110  
Old 25.05.2021, 23:38
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: zurich
Posts: 33
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
tuareg has no particular reputation at present
Re: Travelling across the border for shopping

Quote:
View Post
I believe they'll open up again on 9th June, so not too long to wait.


This would be great!
Reply With Quote
  #1111  
Old 26.05.2021, 09:36
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Nordwestschweiz
Posts: 283
Groaned at 6 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 248 Times in 112 Posts
IronAngle is considered knowledgeableIronAngle is considered knowledgeableIronAngle is considered knowledgeable
Re: Travelling across the border for shopping

Quote:
View Post
Drive via Germany and you certainly won't get checked at the border.

Cross border into Germany at Rheinfelden, take motorway past Lörrach, turn back towards Basel when you reach the A5 and take the first exit. Head towards Saint-Louis and there's an open border. Small risk you could get seen by police and checked in France with having ZH plates, though unlikely IMO.
The license plates will definitely give it away. I was in Saint Louis yesterday and saw the police interrogating someone with ZH license plates.

I wouldn't take the risk until the 30km restriction has been lifted.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank IronAngle for this useful post:
  #1112  
Old 26.05.2021, 09:44
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: zurich
Posts: 33
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
tuareg has no particular reputation at present
Re: Travelling across the border for shopping

Quote:
View Post
The license plates will definitely give it away. I was in Saint Louis yesterday and saw the police interrogating someone with ZH license plates.

I wouldn't take the risk until the 30km restriction has been lifted.
Thanks for reporting this! I do not want to take this risk.
My original question was if it is possible to avoid to pay 150CHF for PCR test.
If there is not, I will wait until they change the restrictions.
My concern is why only France is keeping this PCR test for 24 hours trips?
Also Italy has similar restriction but with Antigen tests, which are less expansive.
I still have 2 small packages in France since February and I hope I can get them soon.
Reply With Quote
  #1113  
Old 02.06.2021, 16:47
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: zurich
Posts: 33
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
tuareg has no particular reputation at present
Re: Travelling across the border for shopping

Quote:
View Post
Yes, but those were different circumstances. Basically it comes down to what amount of risk you're willing to tolerate. The chances are if you nip across to Saint-Louis/Mulhouse that nothing will happen, however there is still a small chance you could get checked.



I believe they'll open up again on 9th June, so not too long to wait.

According to the following:

https://www.connexionfrance.com/Fren...n-rules-change

Is not clear what they are going to do with borders.
Do you have other information?
Reply With Quote
  #1114  
Old 02.06.2021, 17:17
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Up there over the fog
Posts: 1,914
Groaned at 257 Times in 189 Posts
Thanked 2,108 Times in 1,040 Posts
JackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Travelling across the border for shopping

Last week, our small border with France, at the French side- all cars were stopped and asked where they came from and where they were going to- if over 30 km were asked for their PCR test- all the cars in front of us were turned back.
Reply With Quote
  #1115  
Old 02.06.2021, 17:25
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 1,352
Groaned at 498 Times in 290 Posts
Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,443 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Travelling across the border for shopping

Quote:
View Post
According to the following:

https://www.connexionfrance.com/Fren...n-rules-change

Is not clear what they are going to do with borders.
Do you have other information?
Latest information I see is still June 9th. I imagine this could change though nothing has been announced yet.
Reply With Quote
  #1116  
Old 02.06.2021, 18:40
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: ZH
Posts: 37
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
kavehentezar has become a little unpopularkavehentezar has become a little unpopular
Re: Travelling across the border for shopping

Hi Guys,

I read the recent posts and it seems we can go to Italy. Did I understand correctly? what is the condition?
Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #1117  
Old 02.06.2021, 18:50
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 31,577
Groaned at 2,353 Times in 1,711 Posts
Thanked 38,371 Times in 18,109 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Travelling across the border for shopping

Quote:
View Post
Hi Guys,

I read the recent posts and it seems we can go to Italy. Did I understand correctly? what is the condition?
Thanks
Negative test, and no shopping.

And you need to prepare a standard form ahead of time stating where you are staying, and how you can be reached.

https://www.bluewin.ch/it/attualita/...na-725247.html

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #1118  
Old 02.06.2021, 19:34
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: ZH
Posts: 37
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
kavehentezar has become a little unpopularkavehentezar has become a little unpopular
Re: Travelling across the border for shopping

Thanks Tom, I just saw this article that says as of today it is possible to enter Italy without a test but only for 24 hours. Here is the link

But it also says that 60 Km from the domicile! Considering that point to point from Lugano to Milan is ca. 60 km however road-wise it's around 78 Km. so which one is it considered?!
Reply With Quote
  #1119  
Old 02.06.2021, 19:41
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 31,577
Groaned at 2,353 Times in 1,711 Posts
Thanked 38,371 Times in 18,109 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Travelling across the border for shopping

Quote:
View Post
Thanks Tom, I just saw this article that says as of today it is possible to enter Italy without a test but only for 24 hours. Here is the link

But it also says that 60 Km from the domicile! Considering that point to point from Lugano to Milan is ca. 60 km however road-wise it's around 78 Km. so which one is it considered?!
Thanks, just heard it on the news as well.

Do you live in Lugano?

Anyway, according to this, it's 60km from your domicile to the border:

https://www.rsi.ch/news/ticino-e-gri...-14121591.html

I expect they will clarify things a bit better in the next days.

From domicile to work is 32km, from work to a dozen or so border crossings is 10-15 km, and we have a bunch of others 20-30 from home, so this would work well for me, less well for my wife as she likes to go for long weekends and not just 24 hours, whereas I like to shop on my lunch break.

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
  #1120  
Old 02.06.2021, 19:47
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: ZH
Posts: 37
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
kavehentezar has become a little unpopularkavehentezar has become a little unpopular
Re: Travelling across the border for shopping

We live in Zurich, however now we have rented an apartment in Lugano for home office and we are here for sometime. Was thinking to go to Milano on Saturday, just a bit of stroll in the city and dining. got bored!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
border, corona, coronavirus, covid, germany, germany switzerland, travel




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
shopping over the border Guest Complaints corner 177 12.01.2018 09:11
Shopping on Sundays Across The Border weolmd Other/general 19 18.06.2017 15:09
Shopping across the border near Basel Zot55 Food and drink 13 08.06.2015 09:40
Shopping over the border.... sandaleen Daily life 88 03.09.2011 12:50


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0