Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 28.11.2020, 13:35
John_H's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Up above Nyon
Posts: 3,874
Groaned at 109 Times in 68 Posts
Thanked 5,155 Times in 2,005 Posts
John_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond repute
Post - cost online vs at the office?

I'm confused.. I buy lots of crap on Ricardo .. The boxes arrive and the cost is printed - 7chf I look online at post.ch and it says the cost is 7chf .. Great..

But then I go to print my own label to send a package, the cost is 5.50chf no signature or 7.50 with signature..

What am i missing here.. Is it simply 1.50 cheaper to print your own at home??
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 28.11.2020, 13:43
Belgianmum's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 12,031
Groaned at 198 Times in 175 Posts
Thanked 19,275 Times in 8,014 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Post - cost online vs at the office?

Short answer.......yes.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 28.11.2020, 13:53
me.anon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: thun
Posts: 2,118
Groaned at 40 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 2,792 Times in 1,349 Posts
me.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Post - cost online vs at the office?

Are you sure that that is not the price for a pre paid return label? That is, you send good to someone and they, for some reason, want to return the goods to you. So you send them this label.

https://www.post.ch/en/sending-parce...ostpac-economy

They must have some method of stopping misuse, I imagine.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 28.11.2020, 13:54
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Nyon
Posts: 3,797
Groaned at 178 Times in 133 Posts
Thanked 5,025 Times in 2,386 Posts
bowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond reputebowlie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Post - cost online vs at the office?

I suspect it is part of the thinking that Big Yellow wants to close more and more branches. If they can encourage more and more customers to do it themselves then they can ‘prove’ they don’t need to maintain all the smaller branches.

I continue to use our ‘local’ office, in the next village. I’d hate to see them close.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 28.11.2020, 14:24
me.anon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: thun
Posts: 2,118
Groaned at 40 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 2,792 Times in 1,349 Posts
me.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Post - cost online vs at the office?

The Post also has a special rate for small packets, which I tried to use on Monday. The allowed dimensions are 17.6cm x 25cm x 5cm. I measured the box to check that it conformed to those dimensions and took it to the post office.
I was expecting to pay CHF 2.60 . Anyway, the guy behind the counter got out a sort of caliper device and probed around the edge of the box until he found a point where one of the cardboard lugs protruded, making the box 5cm plus a few microns deep and said I had to pay CHF 9.00 (next day delivery). I was in a hurry and didn't want a long argument so I accepted it more as a lesson for the future.
Anyway, using the tracking reference number on the receipt, I went to check up if the parcel had arrived. It had and with the following information:
Zugestellt
24. November 2020
Zustelladresse
8003 Zürich
Sendungsinformationen
20 x 16 x 5 cm, 0.16 kg

That is exactly 5 cm deep, which would have qualified for the much cheaper rate.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg packet.JPG (48.7 KB, 400 views)
__________________
If you have difficulties with a post which contains a link to a site in one of the Swiss languages, use Google Translate or your own favourite translating browser.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 28.11.2020, 14:32
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 4,798
Groaned at 81 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 4,864 Times in 2,286 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Post - cost online vs at the office?

Quote:
View Post
The Post also has a special rate for small packets, which I tried to use on Monday. The allowed dimensions are 17.6cm x 25cm x 5cm. I measured the box to check that it conformed to those dimensions and took it to the post office.
I was expecting to pay CHF 2.60 . Anyway, the guy behind the counter got out a sort of caliper device and probed around the edge of the box until he found a point where one of the cardboard lugs protruded, making the box 5cm plus a few microns deep and said I had to pay CHF 9.00 (next day delivery). I was in a hurry and didn't want a long argument so I accepted it more as a lesson for the future.
Anyway, using the tracking reference number on the receipt, I went to check up if the parcel had arrived. It had and with the following information:
Zugestellt
24. November 2020
Zustelladresse
8003 Zürich
Sendungsinformationen
20 x 16 x 5 cm, 0.16 kg

That is exactly 5 cm deep, which would have qualified for the much cheaper rate.

Are you saying the post charged you 9- but put it through as 2.60- and pocketed the rest?

Do you have a receipt for the 9-? I'd print that page if you do and take it up with the post.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Island Monkey for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 28.11.2020, 14:38
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: LaCote
Posts: 608
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 1,009 Times in 397 Posts
Sigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond reputeSigh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Post - cost online vs at the office?

They will also charge you 3 chf extra for filling out the customs declaration for international packages.
Can be printed out or filled in online at home, free of charge.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 28.11.2020, 14:38
MusicChick's Avatar
modified, reprogrammed and doctored²
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 15,901
Groaned at 339 Times in 234 Posts
Thanked 18,385 Times in 9,554 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Post - cost online vs at the office?

Quote:
View Post
The Post also has a special rate for small packets, which I tried to use on Monday. The allowed dimensions are 17.6cm x 25cm x 5cm. I measured the box to check that it conformed to those dimensions and took it to the post office.
I was expecting to pay CHF 2.60 . Anyway, the guy behind the counter got out a sort of caliper device and probed around the edge of the box until he found a point where one of the cardboard lugs protruded, making the box 5cm plus a few microns deep and said I had to pay CHF 9.00 (next day delivery). I was in a hurry and didn't want a long argument so I accepted it more as a lesson for the future.
Anyway, using the tracking reference number on the receipt, I went to check up if the parcel had arrived. It had and with the following information:
Zugestellt
24. November 2020
Zustelladresse
8003 Zürich
Sendungsinformationen
20 x 16 x 5 cm, 0.16 kg

That is exactly 5 cm deep, which would have qualified for the much cheaper rate.
Is it a difference between A and B service? You got charged priority?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 28.11.2020, 14:47
me.anon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: thun
Posts: 2,118
Groaned at 40 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 2,792 Times in 1,349 Posts
me.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Post - cost online vs at the office?

Quote:
View Post
Are you saying the post charged you 9- but put it through as 2.60- and pocketed the rest?

Do you have a receipt for the 9-? I'd print that page if you do and take it up with the post.
No. I was charged CHF 9.00 and got a receipt for CH 9.00. The screen shot (CHF 2.35) shows only what someone would have been charged for a packet with "conforming" dimensions for a 2-3 day delivery deadline. I included it also because it may be useful for others including the OP. The service I wanted to use was that, but with next day delivery which would cost CHF 2.60. The counter clerk disqualified the packet on the grounds of its dimensions.

I could still take it up because I have (a) the receipt and (b) the information from their tracking system about the dimensions. However, I regard that now as a lesson for the future.

Incidentally, I've just noticed that the screen shot shows an anticipated delivery date for the cheaper service of 27.01.2021. I guess another system glitch.
__________________
If you have difficulties with a post which contains a link to a site in one of the Swiss languages, use Google Translate or your own favourite translating browser.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 28.11.2020, 15:39
spaghetti's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Zurich
Posts: 190
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 277 Times in 117 Posts
spaghetti has a reputation beyond reputespaghetti has a reputation beyond reputespaghetti has a reputation beyond reputespaghetti has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Post - cost online vs at the office?

Quote:
View Post
The Post also has a special rate for small packets, which I tried to use on Monday. The allowed dimensions are 17.6cm x 25cm x 5cm. I measured the box to check that it conformed to those dimensions and took it to the post office.
I was expecting to pay CHF 2.60 . Anyway, the guy behind the counter got out a sort of caliper device and probed around the edge of the box until he found a point where one of the cardboard lugs protruded, making the box 5cm plus a few microns deep and said I had to pay CHF 9.00 (next day delivery). I was in a hurry and didn't want a long argument so I accepted it more as a lesson for the future.
Anyway, using the tracking reference number on the receipt, I went to check up if the parcel had arrived. It had and with the following information:
Zugestellt
24. November 2020
Zustelladresse
8003 Zürich
Sendungsinformationen
20 x 16 x 5 cm, 0.16 kg

That is exactly 5 cm deep, which would have qualified for the much cheaper rate.


This happened to me twice, I own a small online shop and send small packages from time to time, this small consignment thing is new, before it was either standard/midi/grossbrief (all max. 2cm thick) and anything thicker are considered packages... 7chf B post and 9chf A post in shelter, 1.5chf cheaper when you print the thing online.

Once my item was like 2.1cm thick or so the lady used this caliper thing and charged me 9chf instead of 2chf (B4 grossbrief) on the spot. From that on I just print my own labels, and toss into the yellow briefkasten, never had problems since then.

I'm happy they now have the kleinsendung option.

On the post calculator page the Kleinsendung is considered (B-Post Midibrief) with (Formatzuschlag bis 5 cm), so it's still a "Brief", I wonder if one can also toss them into the Postbriefkasten with the other letters... I'll ask next time I go to the post...

I do like to print my labels online before going to the post because I always had to line up, now they also have the self-scanning package deposit kiosk thing in the post office, which I find really convenient.



Edit:
I just found out the formatzuschlag bis 5cm was already in the Jan.2020 booklet "Das Angebot im Überblick", so my bad not seeing it, but it's hard to find and the word "Kleinsendung" was not on the Format list...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank spaghetti for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 28.11.2020, 16:09
me.anon's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: thun
Posts: 2,118
Groaned at 40 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 2,792 Times in 1,349 Posts
me.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond reputeme.anon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Post - cost online vs at the office?

I'll have to look for this yellow box at my post office, where you can throw in any ready labelled packets. That sounds good.

I've just looked the the standard range of "PostPac" boxes which are on sale at their shop. The smallest one available is just 3cm too wide to qualify for their "small consignment" rate. ( I suppose they will not be in a rush to make smaller ones available)
https://www.postshop.ch/shop/de/fran...oko-0/p/730834
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 28.11.2020, 17:29
spaghetti's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Zurich
Posts: 190
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 277 Times in 117 Posts
spaghetti has a reputation beyond reputespaghetti has a reputation beyond reputespaghetti has a reputation beyond reputespaghetti has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Post - cost online vs at the office?

Quote:
View Post
I'll have to look for this yellow box at my post office, where you can throw in any ready labelled packets. That sounds good.

I've just looked the the standard range of "PostPac" boxes which are on sale at their shop. The smallest one available is just 3cm too wide to qualify for their "small consignment" rate. ( I suppose they will not be in a rush to make smaller ones available)
https://www.postshop.ch/shop/de/fran...oko-0/p/730834
If you send small consignments often RAJA has good options (min. quantity 50 pcs):
https://www.rajapack.ch/de_CH/karton..._PDT00302.html
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 28.11.2020, 18:27
John_H's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Up above Nyon
Posts: 3,874
Groaned at 109 Times in 68 Posts
Thanked 5,155 Times in 2,005 Posts
John_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond reputeJohn_H has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Post - cost online vs at the office?

I'm talking specifically parcel up to 2kg , B post.. Like a shoe box..

I login..
Goto : Online Services > Sending Mail > Domestic parcel labels > Create Parcel Label

Postpac economy is 5.50 chf without signature, that costs another 2chf.


I've used it many times without issue .. But as i say, stuff I receive normally has the 7chf price tag on it.. And when i sell something people generally automatically pay me me 7chf. If i use Ricardo to generate the label it also changes 7chf. Other online shops often charge 7chf..

So if you are paying 7 each time you are doing it wrong .. Or supporting your local post office.. Whichever you choose.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 29.11.2020, 16:03
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ticino
Posts: 2,901
Groaned at 91 Times in 63 Posts
Thanked 3,700 Times in 1,491 Posts
Snoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Post - cost online vs at the office?

The deal on printing the label yourself is only valid in 2020. Don't know whether they will extend it.

"Selber online frankieren und als Privatkunde von einer Preisreduktion zwischen CHF 1.50 - 3.00 profitieren (gültig 2020)"

But the label always shows the official amount, not the reduced amount.

We send quite a few parcels and were having some difficulty with the thickness. My "friendly" (she actually was not generally that friendly) local post office manager gave me some calipers. I would go into the local post office and ask, maybe you'll get lucky!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Snoopy for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 30.11.2020, 13:34
kri's Avatar
kri kri is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 1,502
Groaned at 14 Times in 14 Posts
Thanked 1,174 Times in 622 Posts
kri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond reputekri has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Post - cost online vs at the office?

Quote:
View Post
The deal on printing the label yourself is only valid in 2020. Don't know whether they will extend it.

"Selber online frankieren und als Privatkunde von einer Preisreduktion zwischen CHF 1.50 - 3.00 profitieren (gültig 2020)"

But the label always shows the official amount, not the reduced amount.
Which is funny as online, if you opt for the pick up option, you can also have them print the label for 50cts and bring it. Total cost 10:50 CHF for Bpost and I don't go anywhere, just leave package outside for pick up.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Post office question LuofaEugen Other/general 3 18.07.2018 16:35
Post office account for online payments/transactions V__ Finance/banking/taxation 1 12.01.2011 16:25
Want to post a big parcel, post Office says it is too big Sutter Other/general 46 10.12.2010 12:00
Why post office charge me so much for online shopping from aboard erwin Complaints corner 6 06.07.2010 16:33
Help with post office swissdawn Daily life 28 10.11.2007 12:41


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 18:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0