English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Daily life (https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-life/)
-   -   Escaping the US to CH (https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-life/302095-escaping-us-ch.html)

FabioSuave 09.01.2021 23:10

Escaping the US to CH
 
I am a 24 year old dual citizen of america and switzerland. I was born in america and received swiss citizenship from my father at birth. Amid civil unrest and domestic terror in the US lead by president trump himself, I have been looking into saving up enough money to move to CH. I have visited a handful of times to visit my father, but I have never lived there. And I am no longer on speaking terms with my father, so if I were to make the transition I would be supporting myself entirely.



Please give me guidance/advice, I really wish to leave the US but have no money and don't know where to start. I am currently in the process of starting a gofundme campaign to raise money for my departure, but also for emergency relief because i have no money or food at home.


to give you more info about me, i am currently in school for massage therapy and will be finishing soon. i work as a window cleaner and do not speak much swiss-german but i can manage to understand more high german. open to any questions or suggestions, thanks.

leonie 10.01.2021 10:55

Re: Escaping the US to CH
 
Welcome to the forum! Which Gemeinde are you citizen of?
I guess you could start by finishing your education and saving some money for the move. And learn German.

Island Monkey 10.01.2021 11:01

Re: Escaping the US to CH
 
Send applications to hotels for jobs as a massage therapist. Start looking in big tourist resorts like Verbier, St Moritz, Zermatt etc. Maybe too late for this winter and with Covid jobs are scarce, but you should find a massage job for next winter with a Swiss passport (make that clear on applications). You need a job lined up as Switzerland is expensive. Also work on your French & German.

meloncollie 10.01.2021 11:13

Re: Escaping the US to CH
 
You might consider getting involved in the Organization Of Swiss Abroad, they could be a good resource for information as you plan your move.

As an example, their website discusses return migration:

https://www.swisscommunity.org/en/em...turn-migration

Sonnenbrand 10.01.2021 11:28

Re: Escaping the US to CH
 
Not to deter you... but keep in mind Switzerland is very expensive compared to Kansas City. I moved here from somewhere with similar costs as KC and still amazed 6 years later how little I walk out of the grocery store with, after spending 100 or more.

Wouldn't attempt to move here with less than say 15-20k in savings if you have to fully support yourself.

Plane ticket, temporary accommodation until you rent a place, 1st-month rent, and security depostit. That's probably 5k or more easily right there. Possible utility service deposits.

German classes 500-1000 a month, food 300-600 month, mandatory health insurance 200-300 month, mobile phone 75-100 month, etc.

It's difficult for many foreigners to find employment right after arrival, especially during this time period. So having a cushion of savings is probably necessary.

I am not trying to deter you but the reality is, it simply costs a lot to move to Switzerland and make a go of it. The German language is super important to your job possibilities if you are moving to a German region of CH, it can make all the difference even if you have a Bachelor's or Master's degree. Most jobs look for A2 language level as a minimum and B1 or B2 is what I see more frequently requested.

With Biden becoming elected in a matter of days and Trump on the way out, it likely to get better in the United States.

Island Monkey 10.01.2021 11:36

Re: Escaping the US to CH
 
If the OP was to get a massage job (before coming) with a large hotel in a large resort, they might be able to find an employer that provides a room or studio. That brings the costs down significantly when first arriving.

olygirl 10.01.2021 11:40

Re: Escaping the US to CH
 
Isn't Kansas City part of the bible belt? Perhaps it would be easier to find a job on the West Coast/East Coast instead.

Medea Fleecestealer 10.01.2021 12:01

Re: Escaping the US to CH
 
First question is did your father register your birth with the Swiss embassy/consulate in America? Because ...

"Art. 7 Loss by being born abroad

1 A child born abroad to a Swiss parent who is a citizen of another country forfeits Swiss citizenship on reaching the age of 25, unless his or her birth has been notified to a Swiss authority abroad or in Switzerland or he or she has declared in writing that he or she wishes to remain a Swiss citizen."

https://www.admin.ch/opc/en/classifi...990/index.html

If you weren't registered or haven't declared you wish to retain your Swiss citizenship at the Swiss embassy/consulate then you will no longer have Swiss nationality since you also have American/Italian.

That said you could still move here with your Italian nationality, but for that you're going to need a job lined up as you would get no assistance from the Swiss government.

Second, where is your mother in all this? Are you really saying you have no money/food in your place and haven't asked her for help? You could afford to pay for the massage therapy training, but can't afford food?

st2lemans 10.01.2021 12:05

Re: Escaping the US to CH
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Medea Fleecestealer (Post 3260972)
If you weren't registered or haven't declared you wish to retain your Swiss citizenship at the Swiss embassy/consulate then you will no longer have Swiss nationality since you also have American/Italian.

OP is 24, so still has a year to declare their wish to remain Swiss, if needed.

Tom

Hausamsee 10.01.2021 12:32

Re: Escaping the US to CH
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FabioSuave (Post 3260845)
I am a 24 year old dual citizen of america and switzerland. I was born in america and received swiss citizenship from my father at birth. Amid civil unrest and domestic terror in the US lead by president trump himself, I have been looking into saving up enough money to move to CH. I have visited a handful of times to visit my father, but I have never lived there. And I am no longer on speaking terms with my father, so if I were to make the transition I would be supporting myself entirely.



Please give me guidance/advice, I really wish to leave the US but have no money and don't know where to start. I am currently in the process of starting a gofundme campaign to raise money for my departure, but also for emergency relief because i have no money or food at home.


to give you more info about me, i am currently in school for massage therapy and will be finishing soon. i work as a window cleaner and do not speak much swiss-german but i can manage to understand more high german. open to any questions or suggestions, thanks.

Pretty dramatic title, escaping is pushing it I think except if you were referring to COVID as Trump and co. didn't get that one under control. I would stay where you are at the moment but start planning to come over in say, 6 months' time. Learn German (or French/Italian depending on where you plan to live) and start networking. Initially you could offer your services as someone posted, to a Hotel, and live-in in exchange. Don't rely on your father but why not re-open some dialogue, he may need your help as much or more than you need his.

Good luck!

bowlie 10.01.2021 12:47

Re: Escaping the US to CH
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Island Monkey (Post 3260928)
Send applications to hotels for jobs as a massage therapist. Start looking in big tourist resorts like Verbier, St Moritz, Zermatt etc. Maybe too late for this winter and with Covid jobs are scarce, but you should find a massage job for next winter with a Swiss passport (make that clear on applications). You need a job lined up as Switzerland is expensive. Also work on your French, German or Italian.

ftfy

Medea Fleecestealer 10.01.2021 12:50

Re: Escaping the US to CH
 
Yes, Covid is another problem. Atm no US citizens are being let in, though you might be able to do it with your Swiss one, but only if you have a Swiss passport.

HickvonFrick 10.01.2021 13:05

Re: Escaping the US to CH
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hausamsee (Post 3260995)
Pretty dramatic title, escaping is pushing it I think except if you were referring to COVID as Trump and co. didn't get that one under control. I would stay where you are at the moment but start planning to come over in say, 6 months' time. Learn German (or French/Italian depending on where you plan to live) and start networking. Initially you could offer your services as someone posted, to a Hotel, and live-in in exchange. Don't rely on your father but why not re-open some dialogue, he may need your help as much or more than you need his.

Good luck!

Moving countries to escape Covid would:

a) be per se ludicrous for a 24 year old; and

b) taken in the round Switzerland is at least as dangerous as the US (slower vaccination, probably closer to mutant wave, nearly as many deaths anyway).

Escaping Trump is also very silly especially given the fact he has 10 days in office left.

The OP seems to be a bit immature and not really approaching a serious international move without any substantive plans. With a low skill level and no dialect finding a job would be tough at the minute given that this pandemic has hit low skilled workers hard.

Switzerland is not a place to be poor and unskilled. I'd stay in Kansas City.

Island Monkey 10.01.2021 13:12

Re: Escaping the US to CH
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HickvonFrick (Post 3261028)
The OP seems to be a bit immature and not really approaching a serious international move without any substantive plans. With a low skill level and no dialect finding a job would be tough at the minute given that this pandemic has hit low skilled workers hard.

Switzerland is not a place to be poor and unskilled. I'd stay in Kansas City.

Maybe a move to Switzerland would be good for the OP’s maturity. Maybe moving abroad and expanding ones horizons should be encouraged given the situation with some Americans right now. Maybe “stay in your deep Republican area” is not the right message!

st2lemans 10.01.2021 13:14

Re: Escaping the US to CH
 
OP could come and do an apprenticeship.

Tom

HickvonFrick 10.01.2021 13:15

Re: Escaping the US to CH
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Island Monkey (Post 3261037)
Maybe a move to Switzerland would be good for the OP’s maturity. Maybe moving abroad and expanding ones horizons should be encouraged given the situation with some Americans right now. Maybe “stay in your deep Republican area” is not the right message!

Kansas City is definitely not a deep republican area. Jackson County which covers the bulk of the city is c. 60-40 dem-republican in an even year. Some of the suburbs are in marginally republican counties - but nothing deep red.

Maybe it would be a good move for him if he can sit and breathe and make a decent plan.

greenmount 10.01.2021 14:06

Re: Escaping the US to CH
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by FabioSuave (Post 3260845)
And I am no longer on speaking terms with my father, so if I were to make the transition I would be supporting myself entirely.
.

Maybe you can try to mend your relation with your father or family on his side, you'd really need their help in the first phase.....unless you have a fat savings account* and can use it till you get a job. But with your qualifications and Covid etc - not very easy imo.
*which apparently you don't.

Island Monkey 10.01.2021 14:31

Re: Escaping the US to CH
 
Bear in mind, with a Swiss passport you are not limited to living and working in Switzerland, you have the whole EU available including English speaking Ireland and Malta. Start applying for massage jobs and see what happens.

Halfasleep 10.01.2021 14:35

Re: Escaping the US to CH
 
first get food before jumping ahead :confused:

Snoopy 10.01.2021 14:51

Re: Escaping the US to CH
 
OP

As you understand German, you may want to read this:

https://www.eda.admin.ch/dam/eda/de/...hweizer_DE.pdf

And in your case particularly this: https://www.eda.admin.ch/eda/de/home...zialhilfe.html

This explains that you may be able to get assistance from the social security department of the municipality you choose to settle in until you sort yourself out.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:28.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0