Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 15.02.2021, 13:38
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zug
Posts: 189
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 214 Times in 93 Posts
AlexS has an excellent reputationAlexS has an excellent reputationAlexS has an excellent reputationAlexS has an excellent reputation
Re: UK hits 15,000,000 vaccination target

Quote:
View Post
Meanwhile, here in "efficient, well run, well organized (smirk)" Switzerland we have vaccinated 482k people.

It's not really a surprise when you look at the idiots in Bern in the Swiss Federal Council. Chief idiot Simonetta Sommaruga "trained as a pianist before studying English and Romance languages....a degree she didn't even finish." (wikipedia). I guess to be expected when your country is run by people with no private sector experience!

Simonetta Sommaruga - trained as a piano player
Ueli Maurer - farmer
Alain Berset - career lecturer/politician
Guy Parmelin - wine grower
Ignazio Cassis - went to med school (the only educated one amongst them)
Viola Amherd - public sector lawyer and career politician
Karin Keller-Sutter - career lecturer/politician

Amazing that a country as rich as Switzerland didn't have the foresight to use that wealth to purchase enough vaccines ahead of other nations. But when you look at the people in charge (zero private sector experience) it's not really a surprise at all.

"the only educated amongst them"? Wow!!

Only look towards the UK Gov't for proof of how the posh-boy, public school style really works huh? Completely and utterly unrealistic views and miles out of touch with life and how the majority live and work.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank AlexS for this useful post:
  #42  
Old 15.02.2021, 14:07
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 340 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 26,264 Times in 11,001 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK hits 15,000,000 vaccination target

Quote:
View Post
CZ is waiting for deliveries, biting their nails, while their at risk bellow 80 and over 65s haven't been vaxed at all (should start in March), but health staff is getting priority. And they are going to start the Novavax production soon, also waiting for due licensing. I wonder if it even gets to Czechs, despite the capacity of billion doses per year.
They should get the Russian vaccine, as HU is doing. Soon HU will be the only EU country with any serious levels of vaccination.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 15.02.2021, 14:17
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 340 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 26,264 Times in 11,001 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK hits 15,000,000 vaccination target

Quote:
View Post
Regardless of vaccine orders and deliveries, Switzerland has had 806,025 doses delivered, but only administered 482,423. That's appalling

https://www.covid19.admin.ch/en/overview
I would think that just administering the vaccine to the highest risk group would already make a bulk of a difference. We could then roll back the lockdown restrictions in the knowledge that for the rest of us Covid-19 isn't deadlier than any other common virus.

For the rest of us, the vaccine could then be administered at a more leisurely pace as supplies and logistics permit.

So the question is, how large is that high risk group and how many of them have been covered?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #44  
Old 15.02.2021, 14:20
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 6,206
Groaned at 109 Times in 74 Posts
Thanked 6,941 Times in 3,157 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK hits 15,000,000 vaccination target

Quote:
View Post
Ignazio Cassis - went to med school (the only educated one amongst them)
Even if you are only including University graduates as "educated" then this is inaccurate;

Karin Keller-Sutter studied language interpretation at Dolmetscherschule Zurich in Zürich (now the School of Applied Linguistics at the Zurich University of Applied Sciences). She then worked in a private capacity while studying political science in London and Montréal. She also achieved a pedagogy post-grad from the University of Fribourg and worked as a professor in a professional school.

Viola Amherd graduated from the Latin Grammar School at the College in Brig in 1982. From 1982 to 1987, she studied jurisprudence at the University of Fribourg and in 1987 received a licenciate in both laws. She then completed an internship as a lawyer and notary in Brig-Glis until 1990. In 1990 she was awarded the notary's diploma of the canton of Valais and in 1991 the lawyer's diploma and the bar exam of the canton of Valais. Since 1991, she has worked as a self-employed lawyer and notary with an office in Brig-Glis and from 1994 to 2006 as a part-time judge of the Federal Personnel Appeals Commission.

Alain Berset studied political science and economics at the University of Neuchâtel, where he received a master's degree in political science in 1996 and a Ph.D in economics in 2005 with a dissertation about the role of international migration upon local working conditions.

(Source Wikipedia)
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank Island Monkey for this useful post:
  #45  
Old 15.02.2021, 14:28
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 340 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 26,264 Times in 11,001 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK hits 15,000,000 vaccination target

... this ...

and furthermore, I don't see any correlation between years spent at university and being able to understand a situation and take the right decisions.

I spent three years of my life working for a boss who had built up the company as a start-up. He hadn't even done a university but only a Berufslehre and a Fachhochschule, and he had loads more understanding of how to approach problems and people and do business with them than many people who went to management school or had PhDs. And more down to nuts and bolts technical understanding too. As in, he designed stuff that worked perfectly the first time round. And I'm saying this as somebody who did the PhD route myself.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #46  
Old 15.02.2021, 14:31
Talk to you later's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,563
Groaned at 71 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 2,923 Times in 1,058 Posts
Talk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK hits 15,000,000 vaccination target

I kind of like Berset. As politicians go, he ain't the worst. His job ain't that simple either.
Handling of Corona has been kind of bad all over the western world.

Quote:
View Post
... people really do have the right to ridicule politicians of any nationality in a free country.
Yes, agree, I would add religion and religious figures to that list too
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Talk to you later for this useful post:
  #47  
Old 15.02.2021, 14:41
Axa's Avatar
Axa Axa is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Suhr, Aargau
Posts: 3,894
Groaned at 56 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 5,264 Times in 2,461 Posts
Axa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond reputeAxa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK hits 15,000,000 vaccination target

Ironically, the farmer Ueli Maurer tended a helping hand to the UK through a finance deal after Brexit. Swiss stocks can still be traded in London among other financial agreements. Switzerland could have gone the EU way, but didn't. https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/finance...-deal/45871326

I guess OP gets a zero on diplomacy, a very important issue in the private sector
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Axa for this useful post:
  #48  
Old 15.02.2021, 14:45
newtoswitz's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Rapperswil
Posts: 3,754
Groaned at 75 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 4,537 Times in 2,076 Posts
newtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond reputenewtoswitz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK hits 15,000,000 vaccination target

Quote:
View Post
Even if you are only including University graduates as "educated" then this is inaccurate;

Karin Keller-Sutter studied language interpretation at Dolmetscherschule Zurich in Zürich (now the School of Applied Linguistics at the Zurich University of Applied Sciences). She then worked in a private capacity while studying political science in London and Montréal. She also achieved a pedagogy post-grad from the University of Fribourg and worked as a professor in a professional school.

Viola Amherd graduated from the Latin Grammar School at the College in Brig in 1982. From 1982 to 1987, she studied jurisprudence at the University of Fribourg and in 1987 received a licenciate in both laws. She then completed an internship as a lawyer and notary in Brig-Glis until 1990. In 1990 she was awarded the notary's diploma of the canton of Valais and in 1991 the lawyer's diploma and the bar exam of the canton of Valais. Since 1991, she has worked as a self-employed lawyer and notary with an office in Brig-Glis and from 1994 to 2006 as a part-time judge of the Federal Personnel Appeals Commission.

Alain Berset studied political science and economics at the University of Neuchâtel, where he received a master's degree in political science in 1996 and a Ph.D in economics in 2005 with a dissertation about the role of international migration upon local working conditions.

(Source Wikipedia)
Also a large number of the UK cabinet studied politics, or were previously lawyers or journalists - not exactly representative of the population.

Independent of his politics, you can't fault Ueli Maurer for being a farmer - that's where his party came from, he probably knows more about his constituents than a lawyer or political philosopher would.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank newtoswitz for this useful post:
  #49  
Old 15.02.2021, 16:35
HIAO's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bellevue
Posts: 1,362
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 3,491 Times in 978 Posts
HIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond reputeHIAO has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK hits 15,000,000 vaccination target

Dear OP,

Throwing insults around, and whining is not a strategy. Anyone can do that.

Share your resume, and solutions with us all, we're excited to hear about the expertise the Swiss idiots are missing out on.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank HIAO for this useful post:
  #50  
Old 15.02.2021, 16:57
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: London
Posts: 191
Groaned at 101 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 411 Times in 123 Posts
Brian1985 has earned the respect of manyBrian1985 has earned the respect of manyBrian1985 has earned the respect of many
Re: UK hits 15,000,000 vaccination target

Quote:
View Post
Dear OP,

Throwing insults around, and whining is not a strategy. Anyone can do that.

Share your resume, and solutions with us all, we're excited to hear about the expertise the Swiss idiots are missing out on.
10 years investing in corporate debt/distressed credit at JP Morgan/Citi and then on the buy-side at a reputable hedge fund in London. I work in Zug for a family office these days and will leave it at that.

Given the wealth of Switzerland I would have been on the phone to every pharma company offering (i) to out-bid every other country for first right to the vaccines, and (ii) getting exclusivity on those vaccines. It's no surprise that this is what both the US (project warp speed) and the UK did. The leaders of those nations knew that vaccine nationalism would see nations fighting to get the jab first.....unlike the "woke" career lecturers/public sector types who thought we would all sing kumbaya around the fire camp.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Brian1985 for this useful post:
  #51  
Old 15.02.2021, 17:43
bwkranger's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Weisslingen, ZH
Posts: 106
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 100 Times in 57 Posts
bwkranger has earned some respectbwkranger has earned some respect
Re: UK hits 15,000,000 vaccination target

Quote:
View Post
10 years investing in corporate debt/distressed credit at JP Morgan/Citi and then on the buy-side at a reputable hedge fund in London. I work in Zug for a family office these days and will leave it at that.

Given the wealth of Switzerland I would have been on the phone to every pharma company offering (i) to out-bid every other country for first right to the vaccines, and (ii) getting exclusivity on those vaccines. It's no surprise that this is what both the US (project warp speed) and the UK did. The leaders of those nations knew that vaccine nationalism would see nations fighting to get the jab first.....unlike the "woke" career lecturers/public sector types who thought we would all sing kumbaya around the fire camp.
In my opinion, during a pandemic the world needs competent politicians from a variety of backgrounds working alongside top scientists. This does include cooperation between nations and multi national companies like Pfizer/BioTech given that the virus will inevitably spread to all corners of the world - even now cases in NZ. I'm sorry but hedge fund investors don't inspire me with much confidence in a pandemic! Like I said in previous posts the Swiss government is far from perfect but come on, really, what's with the kumbaya comment! I'm sorry, but with comments like that I'm more than pleased to know you're not in charge of government!
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank bwkranger for this useful post:
  #52  
Old 15.02.2021, 17:51
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 2,808
Groaned at 193 Times in 126 Posts
Thanked 5,196 Times in 2,101 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK hits 15,000,000 vaccination target

Quote:
View Post
10 years investing in corporate debt/distressed credit at JP Morgan/Citi and then on the buy-side at a reputable hedge fund in London. I work in Zug for a family office these days and will leave it at that.

Given the wealth of Switzerland I would have been on the phone to every pharma company offering (i) to out-bid every other country for first right to the vaccines, and (ii) getting exclusivity on those vaccines. It's no surprise that this is what both the US (project warp speed) and the UK did. The leaders of those nations knew that vaccine nationalism would see nations fighting to get the jab first.....unlike the "woke" career lecturers/public sector types who thought we would all sing kumbaya around the fire camp.
I bet you are angry because you did not manage to jump the queue yet. Also I take it from other posts that you are bitter because you don't like Switzerland and wish you had never come here.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank komsomolez for this useful post:
  #53  
Old 15.02.2021, 18:09
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Zurich
Posts: 538
Groaned at 65 Times in 50 Posts
Thanked 1,105 Times in 562 Posts
John William has a reputation beyond reputeJohn William has a reputation beyond reputeJohn William has a reputation beyond reputeJohn William has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK hits 15,000,000 vaccination target

Quote:
View Post
In my opinion, during a pandemic the world needs competent politicians from a variety of backgrounds working alongside top scientists. This does include cooperation between nations and multi national companies like Pfizer/BioTech given that the virus will inevitably spread to all corners of the world - even now cases in NZ. I'm sorry but hedge fund investors don't inspire me with much confidence in a pandemic! Like I said in previous posts the Swiss government is far from perfect but come on, really, what's with the kumbaya comment! I'm sorry, but with comments like that I'm more than pleased to know you're not in charge of government!
True lets leave vaccine nationalism out of this; as I think at the end of the day we will just have to include
the bio threat as an everyday threat to the security of the country, the EU, the United States, the world,
etc which will no doubt mean virologists sitting in on the Swiss equivalent of the UK's COBRA meetings;
whenever the possibilities of a new epidemic appear on the horizon with the power to restrict or
ban international and cross border travel at a moments notice.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank John William for this useful post:
  #54  
Old 15.02.2021, 18:50
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 13,720
Groaned at 1,283 Times in 858 Posts
Thanked 20,191 Times in 7,781 Posts
Chuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond reputeChuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK hits 15,000,000 vaccination target

Quote:
View Post
10 years investing in corporate debt/distressed credit at JP Morgan/Citi and then on the buy-side at a reputable hedge fund in London..
Ahh, I guess that explains the "you being a **** with no moral fibre" part then.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Chuff for this useful post:
This user groans at Chuff for this post:
  #55  
Old 15.02.2021, 20:15
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,428 Times in 10,577 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK hits 15,000,000 vaccination target

Quote:
View Post
They should get the Russian vaccine, as HU is doing. Soon HU will be the only EU country with any serious levels of vaccination.
I posted in the CV thread that CZ prime minister is negotiating with RU to get their Sputniks. Why it is taking a while..is a question. I do not know what they want in return.

Last edited by MusicChick; 15.02.2021 at 22:13.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #56  
Old 15.02.2021, 20:27
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,428 Times in 10,577 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK hits 15,000,000 vaccination target

Quote:
View Post
I kind of like Berset. As politicians go.
Quote:
View Post
Alain Berset studied political science and economics at the University of Neuchâtel, where he received a master's degree in political science in 1996 and a Ph.D in economics in 2005 with a dissertation about the role of international migration upon local working conditions.
He is great. Didn't know he's got the credentials on top of being great.

Does anyone know if he vaxes people himself? Berset task force?
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 15.02.2021, 23:27
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,635
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 1,096 Times in 615 Posts
axman has a reputation beyond reputeaxman has a reputation beyond reputeaxman has a reputation beyond reputeaxman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK hits 15,000,000 vaccination target

Praising/insulting politicians... but I read it from a few sources that the UK success was stumbled upon by giving the job to the private sector.


https://edition.cnn.com/2021/02/15/e...ntl/index.html
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank axman for this useful post:
  #58  
Old 15.02.2021, 23:39
nickatbasel's Avatar
Mod, Chips and Mushy Peas
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Albisrieden
Posts: 5,314
Groaned at 160 Times in 98 Posts
Thanked 8,354 Times in 3,095 Posts
nickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond reputenickatbasel has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK hits 15,000,000 vaccination target

Is that 15m with both required doses of the vaccine? If not they are not fully vaccinated.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 16.02.2021, 00:02
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 2,876
Groaned at 63 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 4,070 Times in 1,901 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK hits 15,000,000 vaccination target

Quote:
View Post
Praising/insulting politicians... but I read it from a few sources that the UK success was stumbled upon by giving the job to the private sector.


https://edition.cnn.com/2021/02/15/e...ntl/index.html
The UK doing something competently is a bit like a broken clock showing the correct time.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank HickvonFrick for this useful post:
  #60  
Old 16.02.2021, 00:06
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Frick, Aargau
Posts: 2,876
Groaned at 63 Times in 51 Posts
Thanked 4,070 Times in 1,901 Posts
HickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond reputeHickvonFrick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: UK hits 15,000,000 vaccination target

Quote:
View Post
Is that 15m with both required doses of the vaccine? If not they are not fully vaccinated.
No. But the first dose is a vast percentage of the total protection of the two doses, hence rolling it out to as many people as possible is superior to double dosing as many as possible.

The UK second vaccinations will start in earnest in March after the 65 plus and poorly population has all had a single dose. By then deaths resulting from new infections should be hugely reduced.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Immigrants target road tankers Sbrinz International affairs/politics 0 01.04.2015 15:16
300m target shooting Phil_MCR Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 41 25.11.2011 12:11
Foreigners not the target of the latest SVP posters panda Swiss politics/news 109 12.05.2011 17:18
Target Practice Maple Lady Sports / Fitness / Beauty / Wellness 1 01.02.2011 16:17
WikiLeaks' next target: 'A big U.S. bank' Florida99 International affairs/politics 5 01.12.2010 14:10


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:05.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0