English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Daily life (https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-life/)
-   -   Caught driving in a neighbours only restricted area (https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-life/303371-caught-driving-neighbours-only-restricted-area.html)

Danielfb 27.03.2021 13:57

Caught driving in a neighbours only restricted area
 
There's some ongoing road renewing in our village and driving to the recycling area means you need to stop at a mobile traffic light, one of those that gives alternate pass. Obviously you always find it in red.
For the first time, on the way back home, to avoid the traffic light, i decided to take a short cut and drive through a restricted area for 'Zubringerdienst only'.
In the middle of the street there was a guy standing up there writing in a piece of paper the car plates of the cars passing by.
I know I did wrong, but I have some questions,..
Can a normal guy just pass the info to the police?
What could the penalty be?
Doesn't old Swiss people have better things to do on a Saturday morning?
Cheers,
Daniel

Jim2007 27.03.2021 14:10

Re: Caught driving in a neighbours only restricted area
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danielfb (Post 3290310)
Doesn't old Swiss people have not a better thing to do on a Saturday morning?


Why should anyone on a private road have to put up with you disturbing their peace on a Sunday morning, just because you could not be arsed to obey the rules?

Danielfb 27.03.2021 14:12

Re: Caught driving in a neighbours only restricted area
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim2007 (Post 3290315)
Why should anyone on a private road have to put up with you disturbing their peace on a Sunday morning, just because you could not be arsed to obey the rules?

This doesn't answer any of my questions. It was on Saturday, not Sunday.

k_and_e 27.03.2021 14:21

Re: Caught driving in a neighbours only restricted area
 
You should have stopped when still being visible for the person and pretended that you put something in the letter box of a house. That would have made it a Zubringerdienst.

Sinking 27.03.2021 14:31

Re: Caught driving in a neighbours only restricted area
 
Not sure a "normal guy" can pass the info to the police (it's his word against yours, after all). However: many residential areas now have cameras as well.

It is possible that the guy could go to the police, tell them x cars go through the area per day. This would probably prompt the police to install some security cameras or do some regular checks.

Back in the day (15 years or so), you got 100 chf for driving through a restricted area.

newtoswitz 27.03.2021 14:31

Re: Caught driving in a neighbours only restricted area
 
If it's a private person then I don't suppose the police would want anything to do with it, since it would just be your word against theirs.

If it was the police, they would most likely have stopped you and asked where you were going.

I agree with the others though - please don't do this.

Danielfb 27.03.2021 14:32

Re: Caught driving in a neighbours only restricted area
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by k_and_e (Post 3290320)
You should have stopped when still being visible for the person and pretended that you put something in the letter box of a house. That would have made it a Zubringerdienst.

Wow

st2lemans 27.03.2021 14:33

Re: Caught driving in a neighbours only restricted area
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinking (Post 3290321)
Not sure a "normal guy" can pass the info to the police .

They can, and do.

Tom

Sinking 27.03.2021 14:42

Re: Caught driving in a neighbours only restricted area
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by st2lemans (Post 3290325)
They can, and do.

Tom

So what are you supposed to do, let's say, if a regular Joe decided to go the police with your license plate for whatever reason? How does he prove you were really there? And how do you prove you were not?

fatmanfilms 27.03.2021 14:45

Re: Caught driving in a neighbours only restricted area
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danielfb (Post 3290310)
There's some ongoing road renewing in our village and driving to the recycling area means you need to stop at a mobile traffic light, one of those that gives alternate pass. Obviously you always find it in red.
For the first time, on the way back home, to avoid the traffic light, i decided to take a short cut and drive through a restricted area for 'Zubringerdienst only'.
In the middle of the street there was a guy standing up there writing in a piece of paper the car plates of the cars passing by.
I know I did wrong, but I have some questions,..
Can a normal guy just pass the info to the police?
What could the penalty be?
Doesn't old Swiss people have better things to do on a Saturday morning?
Cheers,
Daniel

This happened to me in Basel (ZH reg car), the police flagged me into a white box parking space as it was at the time. They did their checks then asked where I was going. I pointed them to the house, about 3 doors away & got out of the car. He said you can't park there? I said why not it's an ordinary parking place which has not been marked no parking. The Police called it a day & went somewhere else :D

Ace1 27.03.2021 14:53

Re: Caught driving in a neighbours only restricted area
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinking (Post 3290321)
Not sure a "normal guy" can pass the info to the police (it's his word against yours, after all).

Quote:

Originally Posted by newtoswitz (Post 3290322)
If it's a private person then I don't suppose the police would want anything to do with it, since it would just be your word against theirs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by st2lemans (Post 3290325)
They can, and do.

Yes, I have first-hand experience of this. My wife's car was reported as being in a restricted area in Bern a few years back. Except it wasn't, but yes, a private individual had (incorrectly) noted the number plates and reported it to police, who then passed it on to the police in the village where we were resident, who then asked me to come in for an interview.

All without checking the vehicle description, which, IIRC, was of a red Toyota hatchback, as opposed to the white Audi TT convertible to which the plates were attached.:msnmad:

I was also able to show that we were both a couple of hundred km away, teaching skiing with the local ski school.

No idea what the fine would have been, as it was clearly a case of mistaken identity so the case was dropped.

Sinking 27.03.2021 15:14

Re: Caught driving in a neighbours only restricted area
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace1 (Post 3290332)
Yes, I have first-hand experience of this. My wife's car was reported as being in a restricted area in Bern a few years back. Except it wasn't, but yes, a private individual had (incorrectly) noted the number plates and reported it to police, who then passed it on to the police in the village where we were resident, who then asked me to come in for an interview.

All without checking the vehicle description, which, IIRC, was of a red Toyota hatchback, as opposed to the white Audi TT convertible to which the plates were attached.:msnmad:

I was also able to show that we were both a couple of hundred km away, teaching skiing with the local ski school.

No idea what the fine would have been, as it was clearly a case of mistaken identity so the case was dropped.

This sucks! Glad you were able to prove you were a couple of hundred km away.

fatmanfilms 27.03.2021 15:21

Re: Caught driving in a neighbours only restricted area
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinking (Post 3290336)
This sucks! Glad you were able to prove you were a couple of hundred km away.

There is no need to prove your innocence, it's the police's job to prove guilt.

They needed an admission of guilt, which is why they interview people. There is no requirement to talk to them & many lawyers would advise against it.

Ace1 27.03.2021 15:23

Re: Caught driving in a neighbours only restricted area
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinking (Post 3290336)
This sucks! Glad you were able to prove you were a couple of hundred km away.

TBH I think that once I'd spotted that it was not our car that was not necessary, but I'd already looked at the date and gone prepared with that explanation before I was able to see the actual incident report.

So Swiss bureaucracy is not foolproof; I guess the problem stems from the fact that the plates are linked to the individual, not the car, so although the tiniest amount of checking would have revealed the mistake, the process clearly didn't include any such check.

Ace1 27.03.2021 15:29

Re: Caught driving in a neighbours only restricted area
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmanfilms (Post 3290338)
They needed an admission of guilt, which is why they interview people. There is no requirement to talk to them & many lawyers would advise against it.

If you've nothing to hide...

Seriously though, if I had outright refused to speak to them what do you think the outcome would have been? Given that they'd requested me to come in for interview, could I have refused even that?

Obviously in this case where we were 100% sure that we weren't, and never had been, in the locale specified on the complaint I was happy to talk to them, better to clear the matter up speedily. What would you have done in my place?

fatmanfilms 27.03.2021 15:32

Re: Caught driving in a neighbours only restricted area
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace1 (Post 3290339)
TBH I think that once I'd spotted that it was not our car that was not necessary, but I'd already looked at the date and gone prepared with that explanation before I was able to see the actual incident report.

So Swiss bureaucracy is not foolproof; I guess the problem stems from the fact that the plates are linked to the individual, not the car, so although the tiniest amount of checking would have revealed the mistake, the process clearly didn't include any such check.

Normally they ask questions before showing any evidence & generally are not the brightest. They even had my date of birth incorrectly written on the protocol that they asked me to sign. I refused to sign & then asked me what my date of birth was, I pointed to the last paragraph of the protocol that said he had no further questions :D Imagine having to explain to his superiors that he had screwed up such basic information.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace1 (Post 3290341)
If you've nothing to hide...

Seriously though, if I had outright refused to speak to them what do you think the outcome would have been? Given that they'd requested me to come in for interview, could I have refused even that?

Obviously in this case where we were 100% sure that we weren't, and never had been, in the locale specified on the complaint I was happy to talk to them, better to clear the matter up speedily. What would you have done in my place?

Absolutely nothing, had they had the evidence they would have sent you a fine, no need to ask questions if they already have a case.
Had they issued a fine you could have appealed & they would have to pay your legal costs.

I would have asked them for their evidence first, when they said it was a red car, I would of said I don't have a red car & I have nothing further to say. What would there be to discuss?

newtoswitz 27.03.2021 15:57

Re: Caught driving in a neighbours only restricted area
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace1 (Post 3290341)
If you've nothing to hide...

Seriously though, if I had outright refused to speak to them what do you think the outcome would have been? Given that they'd requested me to come in for interview, could I have refused even that?

Obviously in this case where we were 100% sure that we weren't, and never had been, in the locale specified on the complaint I was happy to talk to them, better to clear the matter up speedily. What would you have done in my place?

Did they take any action against the person who made a false report?

Ace1 27.03.2021 16:03

Re: Caught driving in a neighbours only restricted area
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by newtoswitz (Post 3290347)
Did they take any action against the person who made a false report?

No idea. I doubt it, given that it was almost certainly a genuine mistake, but who knows?

fatmanfilms 27.03.2021 16:24

Re: Caught driving in a neighbours only restricted area
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace1 (Post 3290348)
No idea. I doubt it, given that it was almost certainly a genuine mistake, but who knows?

Since when has making a 'genuine mistake' ever got anyone off a fine in Switzerland?

1) sorry going 3 km/h above the speed limit was a genuine mistake.

2) I did not see the sign, it was accepted as a genuine mistake'

Nosy neighbours who make false reports to the police should be fined like everybody else who makes a 'genuine mistake'

bowlie 27.03.2021 17:38

Re: Caught driving in a neighbours only restricted area
 
I suspect if I went to the police with a complaint like that, they would just laugh at me. Mind you I’d have to go to the Nyon police as our small village doesn’t have any.

They really are much more laid back in romande!


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:05.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0