Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 26.05.2021, 16:41
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Zurich
Posts: 14
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
zarub has no particular reputation at present
How can I sell an expensive bottle of wine?

I got an expensive bottle of wine from one of my client a while ago. Now I realized I never gonna drink it and better to sell it. But how can I do it?
I found some wine marketplace wineroo.ch, but didn't see prices more than 400$ there and mine is around 4k-5k$ rather. Any advice what is the best way sell wine?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 26.05.2021, 16:44
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: zug
Posts: 621
Groaned at 88 Times in 61 Posts
Thanked 439 Times in 241 Posts
LakeSwimmer has an excellent reputationLakeSwimmer has an excellent reputationLakeSwimmer has an excellent reputationLakeSwimmer has an excellent reputation
Re: How can I sell an expensive bottle of wine?

Quote:
View Post
I got an expensive bottle of wine from one of my client a while ago. Now I realized I never gonna drink it and better to sell it. But how can I do it?
I found some wine marketplace wineroo.ch, but didn't see prices more than 400$ there and mine is around 4k-5k$ rather. Any advice what is the best way sell wine?
By the glass.

Name of wine and vintage ? ( he asks in jest)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank LakeSwimmer for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 26.05.2021, 16:44
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Zug
Posts: 177
Groaned at 51 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 206 Times in 99 Posts
jamon8 has become a little unpopular
Re: How can I sell an expensive bottle of wine?

Try on Ricardo. Out of curiosity what wine?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank jamon8 for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 26.05.2021, 16:55
evop's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Zürich
Posts: 238
Groaned at 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 316 Times in 142 Posts
evop has earned the respect of manyevop has earned the respect of manyevop has earned the respect of many
Re: How can I sell an expensive bottle of wine?

Private sale on Ricardo or Catawiki, if you want to do it on your own.

Or try https://www.vinpark.ch/en/ or similar.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 26.05.2021, 16:56
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Hausen am Albis, ZH
Posts: 360
Groaned at 12 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 581 Times in 228 Posts
Massa has a reputation beyond reputeMassa has a reputation beyond reputeMassa has a reputation beyond reputeMassa has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How can I sell an expensive bottle of wine?

Try Vivino to establish a price - but if you're looking in that region I would have thought any potential purchaser is going to ask you how it's been stored and at the correct temperature such as in a wine fridge etc.

https://www.vivino.com/CH/en/
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank Massa for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 26.05.2021, 17:10
eyebeebe's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pfäffikon SZ
Posts: 2,409
Groaned at 24 Times in 23 Posts
Thanked 3,245 Times in 1,379 Posts
eyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond reputeeyebeebe has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How can I sell an expensive bottle of wine?

Quote:
View Post
Try Vivino to establish a price - but if you're looking in that region I would have thought any potential purchaser is going to ask you how it's been stored and at the correct temperature such as in a wine fridge etc.

https://www.vivino.com/CH/en/
At that sort of price it’s going to need proof of authenticity as well as proof of correct storage. Ideally one would want to buy it out of a bonded warehouse. Without that, I suspect the market price is going to be far lower than the OP hopes.
Reply With Quote
The following 11 users would like to thank eyebeebe for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 26.05.2021, 17:16
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Brunnen
Posts: 512
Groaned at 13 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 271 Times in 161 Posts
starDeMer has an excellent reputationstarDeMer has an excellent reputationstarDeMer has an excellent reputationstarDeMer has an excellent reputation
Re: How can I sell an expensive bottle of wine?

Quote:
View Post
I got an expensive bottle of wine from one of my client a while ago. Now I realized I never gonna drink it and better to sell it. But how can I do it?
I found some wine marketplace wineroo.ch, but didn't see prices more than 400$ there and mine is around 4k-5k$ rather. Any advice what is the best way sell wine?
Why don't you try EnglishForum ?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank starDeMer for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 26.05.2021, 17:32
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 17,058
Groaned at 649 Times in 502 Posts
Thanked 25,856 Times in 10,421 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How can I sell an expensive bottle of wine?

It's not Blue Nun, is it?
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 26.05.2021, 17:54
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Zurich
Posts: 14
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
zarub has no particular reputation at present
Re: How can I sell an expensive bottle of wine?

Quote:
View Post
Try on Ricardo. Out of curiosity what wine?
it is Petrus Pomerol 1990 Grand Cru
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank zarub for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 26.05.2021, 18:28
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 21,376
Groaned at 461 Times in 352 Posts
Thanked 23,091 Times in 11,824 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How can I sell an expensive bottle of wine?

Quote:
View Post
it is Petrus Pomerol 1990 Grand Cru
If you want to drink a very similarly tasting wine for 1% of the cost I suggest Vieux Chateau Saint André. Just had some 2017 delivered today as I have run out of 2014

https://wine-chronicles.com/blog/with-jeff-berrouet/

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/v...ce/2014/europe
Reply With Quote
The following 12 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 26.05.2021, 21:55
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Zurich
Posts: 249
Groaned at 12 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 599 Times in 184 Posts
GParker has a reputation beyond reputeGParker has a reputation beyond reputeGParker has a reputation beyond reputeGParker has a reputation beyond reputeGParker has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How can I sell an expensive bottle of wine?

These guys will give you a cash offer and collect https://lucullus.ch/weine-verkaufen/ but, as others have said, don't expect top dollar (or any offer at all) unless it's been stored properly, correct fill height, good cork, label etc.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank GParker for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 27.05.2021, 07:27
NickGB's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Zug
Posts: 1,177
Groaned at 10 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,633 Times in 658 Posts
NickGB has a reputation beyond reputeNickGB has a reputation beyond reputeNickGB has a reputation beyond reputeNickGB has a reputation beyond reputeNickGB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How can I sell an expensive bottle of wine?

As others have said, these types of wines are usually bought from established collections, not from someone with a single bottle. This is not only due to the way it has been stored, but also because of issues of authenticity. You could try to sell it, at a very big discount, to someone willing to 'take a punt'


Alternatively, invite some friends over and ask for a contribution and then share the bottle. I'm sure everyone would, one day, like to experience Petrus, but perhaps not commit to an entire bottle


Or alternatively open it and drink it or share it. You didn't pay for it, so you are not losing anything.
Reply With Quote
The following 11 users would like to thank NickGB for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 27.05.2021, 09:37
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 86
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 104 Times in 51 Posts
henk has earned some respecthenk has earned some respect
Re: How can I sell an expensive bottle of wine?

You can use a speciaöist Swiss Wine auction website


https://www.steinfelsweine.ch/


You can give a minimum price and see if it sells
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 27.05.2021, 11:12
summergirl's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 384
Groaned at 11 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 716 Times in 247 Posts
summergirl has a reputation beyond reputesummergirl has a reputation beyond reputesummergirl has a reputation beyond reputesummergirl has a reputation beyond reputesummergirl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How can I sell an expensive bottle of wine?

Quote:
View Post
As others have said, these types of wines are usually bought from established collections, not from someone with a single bottle. This is not only due to the way it has been stored, but also because of issues of authenticity. You could try to sell it, at a very big discount, to someone willing to 'take a punt'


Alternatively, invite some friends over and ask for a contribution and then share the bottle. I'm sure everyone would, one day, like to experience Petrus, but perhaps not commit to an entire bottle


Or alternatively open it and drink it or share it. You didn't pay for it, so you are not losing anything.
If it were me, I would never try to make money out of something I got for free. Just invite some of your closest friend(s) and enjoy it together.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank summergirl for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 27.05.2021, 11:46
amogles's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,361
Groaned at 338 Times in 274 Posts
Thanked 26,263 Times in 11,000 Posts
amogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond reputeamogles has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How can I sell an expensive bottle of wine?

Some companies will have problems with gifts being given by suppliers, customers or partners and will have strict integrity rules in place how to handle such gifts without compromising one's integrity.

I know for sure that I wouldn't be allowed to accept such a gift. And if it was delivered to me anyway, I would still have to declare it to our integrity officer who would register it and might decide on what to do with it.

This might, depending on the context, involve returning it or sharing with the entire team for example.

We've had a booze up or two on expensive wines courtesy of customers in places like Dubai. Once on a bottle of grappa supposedly worth a four digit sum.

Only afterwards did somebody realize the web page somebody used to find the value was set to the wrong currency and that we had been making a lot of fuss over a bottle of supermarket plonk.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank amogles for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 27.05.2021, 12:03
Izzt89's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Zurich, Zug
Posts: 152
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 352 Times in 139 Posts
Izzt89 has a reputation beyond reputeIzzt89 has a reputation beyond reputeIzzt89 has a reputation beyond reputeIzzt89 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How can I sell an expensive bottle of wine?

Quote:
View Post
Some companies will have problems with gifts being given by suppliers, customers or partners and will have strict integrity rules in place how to handle such gifts without compromising one's integrity.

I know for sure that I wouldn't be allowed to accept such a gift. And if it was delivered to me anyway, I would still have to declare it to our integrity officer who would register it and might decide on what to do with it.
yep, not sure in which sector you work, but the ones I have worked for the last 10 years (and they are very diverse), nobody - and that is, nobody (from CEO to cleaning lady) can accept corporate presents of that value - or even one order of magnitude lower. It can get you into serious problems with HR & compliance. Obviously, it is different if you have your own company ;-)


My two cents (for what it is worth) -- money buys you experiences in life, not time. Why not just enjoying and sharing the experience? You might not have another chance of trying something of the kind.

I did it years ago, and everybody who was at that 'special' dinner, still talks and laughs about it...(in our case it was Petrus 1970 that I got from my supervisor upon getting my PhD....he really was so happy of getting rid of me) :-D
Reply With Quote
The following 8 users would like to thank Izzt89 for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 27.05.2021, 12:15
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: CH
Posts: 172
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 137 Times in 68 Posts
besmegenis has made some interesting contributions
Re: How can I sell an expensive bottle of wine?

Yes, it would be interesting to try a glass of such wine. It is just I am afraid that I won't understand what is so special about it. I am not confident in my taste receptors

I would probably go with fatmanfilms suggestion and buy box of that wine rather than one glass of petrus


Quote:
View Post
As others have said, these types of wines are usually bought from established collections, not from someone with a single bottle. This is not only due to the way it has been stored, but also because of issues of authenticity. You could try to sell it, at a very big discount, to someone willing to 'take a punt'


Alternatively, invite some friends over and ask for a contribution and then share the bottle. I'm sure everyone would, one day, like to experience Petrus, but perhaps not commit to an entire bottle


Or alternatively open it and drink it or share it. You didn't pay for it, so you are not losing anything.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank besmegenis for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 27.05.2021, 12:21
bossybaby's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Western Austria
Posts: 716
Groaned at 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 1,238 Times in 534 Posts
bossybaby has a reputation beyond reputebossybaby has a reputation beyond reputebossybaby has a reputation beyond reputebossybaby has a reputation beyond reputebossybaby has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How can I sell an expensive bottle of wine?

Quote:
View Post
We've had a booze up or two on expensive wines courtesy of customers in places like Dubai. Once on a bottle of grappa supposedly worth a four digit sum.

Only afterwards did somebody realize the web page somebody used to find the value was set to the wrong currency and that we had been making a lot of fuss over a bottle of supermarket plonk.
Only, knowing Dubai, the customer probably paid those AED figures for the plonk in GBP...
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank bossybaby for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 27.05.2021, 12:28
Murloc's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Bern
Posts: 535
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 593 Times in 297 Posts
Murloc has an excellent reputationMurloc has an excellent reputationMurloc has an excellent reputationMurloc has an excellent reputation
Re: How can I sell an expensive bottle of wine?

Quote:
View Post
yep, not sure in which sector you work, but the ones I have worked for the last 10 years (and they are very diverse), nobody - and that is, nobody (from CEO to cleaning lady) can accept corporate presents of that value - or even one order of magnitude lower. It can get you into serious problems with HR & compliance. Obviously, it is different if you have your own company ;-)


My two cents (for what it is worth) -- money buys you experiences in life, not time. Why not just enjoying and sharing the experience? You might not have another chance of trying something of the kind.

I did it years ago, and everybody who was at that 'special' dinner, still talks and laughs about it...(in our case it was Petrus 1970 that I got from my supervisor upon getting my PhD....he really was so happy of getting rid of me) :-D
it's also a question of company size.
Not everybody works at a bank or in big anything.

For all we know he could be an independent consultant or a masseur anyway.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Murloc for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 27.05.2021, 13:38
NotAllThere's Avatar
Modulo 2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 15,041
Groaned at 307 Times in 263 Posts
Thanked 23,222 Times in 9,429 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How can I sell an expensive bottle of wine?

Quote:
View Post
If you want to drink a very similarly tasting wine for 1% of the cost I suggest Vieux Chateau Saint André.
That gives me an idea: Have a glass of Vieux Chateau Saint André. Then drink your 100x more expensive wine. If it's really better, you'll know.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good expensive wine to give as present Guest Food and drink 27 12.03.2016 16:16
for sale: upcycled wine bottle, handmade decoration with renaissance angels Sumerkirima Commercial 3 29.09.2012 20:18
how to open a bottle of wine? cheesey General off-topic 16 18.08.2012 21:56
Where to sell old wine in Switzerland MrMert Other/general 2 26.02.2012 18:05
Want to sell furniture, a good number of them are antiques and expensive Move Housing in general 1 14.05.2009 11:32


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:27.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0