English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Daily life (https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-life/)
-   -   Retiring abroad (https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-life/304764-retiring-abroad.html)

stuart1956 27.06.2021 10:40

Retiring abroad
 
hello ,i am planning on retiring to Spain in 2022 all being well, but i am completely baffled by the health system ,do i have to continue paying my insurance here in Switzerland or do i take a new policy in Spain or just use there health system,i do hold swiss and British passports. has anybody had experience or can advise many thanks

fatmanfilms 27.06.2021 10:41

Re: Retiring abroad
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by stuart1956 (Post 3321709)
hello ,i am planning on retiring to Spain in 2022 all being well, but i am completely baffled by the health system ,do i have to continue paying my insurance here in Switzerland or do i take a new policy in Spain or just use there health system,i do hold swiss and British passports. has anybody had experience or can advise many thanks

If you are in receipt of a Swiss Pillar 1 you will need to pay Swiss health insurance when you live in Spain.

Medea Fleecestealer 27.06.2021 10:55

Re: Retiring abroad
 
Isn't there something about how many years you paid into your pensions in each country that determines that? Or am I confusing that with something else? :confused:

komsomolez 27.06.2021 11:04

Re: Retiring abroad
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmanfilms (Post 3321712)
If you are in receipt of a Swiss Pillar 1 you will need to pay Swiss health insurance when you live in Spain.

Really? I just tried to read up on that but couldn't find any confirmation.

Edit: Forget it, found it. Didn't know that.

amogles 27.06.2021 11:24

Re: Retiring abroad
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by stuart1956 (Post 3321709)
hello ,i am planning on retiring to Spain in 2022 all being well, but i am completely baffled by the health system ,do i have to continue paying my insurance here in Switzerland or do i take a new policy in Spain or just use there health system,i do hold swiss and British passports. has anybody had experience or can advise many thanks

AFAIK Your basic coverage must be Swiss . ( that is, assuming you spent most of your working life in CH )

You can / should then cover any extras you want / need with a Spanish insurer

amogles 27.06.2021 11:25

Re: Retiring abroad
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Medea Fleecestealer (Post 3321715)
Isn't there something about how many years you paid into your pensions in each country that determines that? Or am I confusing that with something else? :confused:

I understand that when you retire you need to take the basic insurance in the country where you worked / contributed the most years

komsomolez 27.06.2021 11:27

Re: Retiring abroad
 
https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home...m-ausland.html

Mullhollander 27.06.2021 11:30

Re: Retiring abroad
 
Organisation of the Swiss Abroad (OSA) notes this:

"Pensioners living in Germany, France, Italy, Austria or Spain and their non-employed family members can be exempted from the insurance obligation in Switzerland. This is the case when they join the health insurance system of their country of residence. For more information, please see the table on the assignment of health insurance (in German or French)."

https://www.swisscommunity.org/en/li...in-the-eu/efta

fatmanfilms 27.06.2021 11:38

Re: Retiring abroad
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Medea Fleecestealer (Post 3321715)
Isn't there something about how many years you paid into your pensions in each country that determines that? Or am I confusing that with something else? :confused:

The Swiss one pays out at a younger age than a Uk one, so likely to be the case.

marton 27.06.2021 12:47

Re: Retiring abroad
 
It can get complex, you can get free advice and anyway must inform these people.

marton 27.06.2021 13:00

Re: Retiring abroad
 
Specifically for health insurance contact these people

Jim2007 27.06.2021 15:14

Re: Retiring abroad
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmanfilms (Post 3321712)
If you are in receipt of a Swiss Pillar 1 you will need to pay Swiss health insurance when you live in Spain.

No not necessarily. It will entire depend on the break down of the pension between the countries, unless the retire qualifies for Spanish healthcare by another means.

Medea Fleecestealer 27.06.2021 16:13

Re: Retiring abroad
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by komsomolez (Post 3321732)

I assume that, even if we have more pension years in Switzerland than the UK, because the UK is now non-EU we wouldn't need to continue with Swiss health insurance if we move back since we'd be entitled to access the NHS?

fatmanfilms 27.06.2021 16:25

Re: Retiring abroad
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Medea Fleecestealer (Post 3321812)
I assume that, even if we have more pension years in Switzerland than the UK, because the UK is now non-EU we wouldn't need to continue with Swiss health insurance if we move back since we'd be entitled to access the NHS?

If you receive a UK pension you are definitely OK, if living in the UK, interested in the answer if you are not.

marton 27.06.2021 16:41

Re: Retiring abroad
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Medea Fleecestealer (Post 3321812)
I assume that, even if we have more pension years in Switzerland than the UK, because the UK is now non-EU we wouldn't need to continue with Swiss health insurance if we move back since we'd be entitled to access the NHS?

Seems likely the EU rules do not apply, maybe you need to check the Swiss/UK "mind the gap" agreement in the case that has something relevant.

Anyway, you can ask this Swiss Govt. agency to be on the safe side.

Medea Fleecestealer 27.06.2021 17:48

Re: Retiring abroad
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatmanfilms (Post 3321819)
If you receive a UK pension you are definitely OK, if living in the UK, interested in the answer if you are not.

Not yet, but I think we'll move back when hubby retires in a year or so's time. House is just better suited for his health issues if they deteriorate and I'm not sure our pensions will allow us to live in Switzerland comfortably. Something we've got to discuss soon.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:37.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0