Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 28.09.2021, 11:39
roegner's Avatar
Moderately Dutch
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Zurich
Posts: 12,281
Groaned at 398 Times in 335 Posts
Thanked 16,278 Times in 7,464 Posts
roegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond reputeroegner has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Warm beer or soggy cereal?

Quote:
View Post
People should learn to debate without getting personal.

That!
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank roegner for this useful post:
  #42  
Old 28.09.2021, 11:48
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Here
Posts: 512
Groaned at 59 Times in 49 Posts
Thanked 1,477 Times in 524 Posts
RufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond reputeRufusB has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Warm beer or soggy cereal?

Quote:
View Post
People should learn to debate without getting personal.
Agreed.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank RufusB for this useful post:
  #43  
Old 29.09.2021, 09:36
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kt.ZH
Posts: 11,702
Groaned at 441 Times in 362 Posts
Thanked 18,058 Times in 9,123 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Warm beer or soggy cereal?

Quote:
View Post
I've heard all the cool rebels are hanging out somewhere else now. I wouldn't know anything about it though
Oh, I bet. I also bet some of us still live rent free in their head.

Those left are very upset nobody wants to pick a "fight" with them...

Quote:
View Post
Easier to accuse people of being homophobes than to take a closer look at actual homophobes.

(especially if they happen to be a friend)

Regardless, welcome back to the new, kinder forum, I hope you enjoy the experience
Oh, so nice of you, TC.

Keep it up, I mean it.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #44  
Old 29.09.2021, 12:15
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 3,711
Groaned at 349 Times in 246 Posts
Thanked 7,586 Times in 3,251 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Warm beer or soggy cereal?

It is a bit boring here, yes. Not bad, just missing good topics. I guess this is also Covid fatigue.

While I felt the forum was undermoderated before and bans intransparent, I certainly have the impression the new set up is overly interventionist, and at risk also being biased. I hope this is just birth pains and we will end up with a good balance.

Lastly, the "debate without getting personal" point also applies to those here who feel like they are on the moral highgrounds and now show immense Schadenfreude towards TC and others, like a childish "we have won" parade.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank komsomolez for this useful post:
  #45  
Old 29.09.2021, 12:34
Belgianmum's Avatar
Roastbeef & Yorkshire mod
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Neuchâtel
Posts: 14,390
Groaned at 285 Times in 242 Posts
Thanked 24,823 Times in 10,097 Posts
Belgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond reputeBelgianmum has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Warm beer or soggy cereal?

It is quiet but I think things will pick up again once people have got used to the new set up.

At least we are spared the endless circular Covid arguments now so that can only be a good thing.

Last edited by Belgianmum; 29.09.2021 at 12:56.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Belgianmum for this useful post:
  #46  
Old 29.09.2021, 12:54
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Cold Ghost
Posts: 333
Groaned at 52 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 940 Times in 378 Posts
BritS has a reputation beyond reputeBritS has a reputation beyond reputeBritS has a reputation beyond reputeBritS has a reputation beyond reputeBritS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Warm beer or soggy cereal?

Quote:
View Post
Lastly, the "debate without getting personal" point also applies to those here who feel like they are on the moral highgrounds and now show immense Schadenfreude towards TC and others, like a childish "we have won" parade.
I would suggest TC actually enjoys and encourages this - he has told me so himself, so I don't think you need to feel too bad about it on his behalf.

I happen to think people have remained incredibly restrained and have comported themselves with a great deal of dignity and magnanimity since the reboot. I think their interest was always getting a good forum back, so that is reward enough for their persistence through the bad times.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank BritS for this useful post:
  #47  
Old 29.09.2021, 13:05
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 3,711
Groaned at 349 Times in 246 Posts
Thanked 7,586 Times in 3,251 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Warm beer or soggy cereal?

Quote:
View Post
I would suggest TC actually enjoys and encourages this - he has told me so himself, so I don't think you need to feel too bad about it on his behalf.
I am not feeling bad on his behalf, I am just calling out the double standard.
Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank komsomolez for this useful post:
  #48  
Old 29.09.2021, 13:10
Talk to you later's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,563
Groaned at 71 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 2,923 Times in 1,058 Posts
Talk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Warm beer or soggy cereal?

Quote:
View Post
It is quiet but I think things will puck up again once people have got used to the new set up.
You must be semi new here like me. I was informed that ever since this forum started people have been arguing like crazy, gang warfare!

Apparently, 2-4 times, rival forums were set up. So yes "new set up" but it will be same old in the end. Welcome to Groundhog Day
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Talk to you later for this useful post:
  #49  
Old 29.09.2021, 13:16
Talk to you later's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: ZH
Posts: 1,563
Groaned at 71 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 2,923 Times in 1,058 Posts
Talk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond reputeTalk to you later has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Warm beer or soggy cereal?

Quote:
View Post
I would suggest TC actually enjoys and encourages this - he has told me so himself
You have only 24 posts? Are you new or reborn?
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 29.09.2021, 13:33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Cold Ghost
Posts: 333
Groaned at 52 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 940 Times in 378 Posts
BritS has a reputation beyond reputeBritS has a reputation beyond reputeBritS has a reputation beyond reputeBritS has a reputation beyond reputeBritS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Warm beer or soggy cereal?

Quote:
View Post
You have only 24 posts? Are you new or reborn?
If you have to ask...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank BritS for this useful post:
  #51  
Old 29.09.2021, 13:38
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kt.ZH
Posts: 11,702
Groaned at 441 Times in 362 Posts
Thanked 18,058 Times in 9,123 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Warm beer or soggy cereal?

Quote:
View Post
It is a bit boring here, yes. Not bad, just missing good topics. I guess this is also Covid fatigue.

While I felt the forum was undermoderated before and bans intransparent, I certainly have the impression the new set up is overly interventionist, and at risk also being biased. I hope this is just birth pains and we will end up with a good balance.

Lastly, the "debate without getting personal" point also applies to those here who feel like they are on the moral highgrounds and now show immense Schadenfreude towards TC and others, like a childish "we have won" parade.
I, on the contrary, have the impression that folks are behaving quite well since the "great reset". But hey, each to their own.
We can agree to disagree on pretty much everything now, in a civil way.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #52  
Old 29.09.2021, 14:12
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 12,115
Groaned at 658 Times in 557 Posts
Thanked 22,916 Times in 12,022 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Warm beer or soggy cereal?

Quote:
View Post
Indeed, before it only took a little back and forth and disagreement over an issue before the cries would begin, "BAN THIS TROLL!!!". Since the change in management, we've not seen this sort of discourse, and since those who used to employ this tactic have either gone quiet or realised it's pointless, the tone of debate has improved substantially imo!
Quote:
View Post
It is a bit boring here, yes. Not bad, just missing good topics. I guess this is also Covid fatigue.

While I felt the forum was undermoderated before and bans intransparent, I certainly have the impression the new set up is overly interventionist, and at risk also being biased. I hope this is just birth pains and we will end up with a good balance.

Lastly, the "debate without getting personal" point also applies to those here who feel like they are on the moral highgrounds and now show immense Schadenfreude towards TC and others, like a childish "we have won" parade.
Hmmmm
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 29.09.2021, 14:20
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 3,711
Groaned at 349 Times in 246 Posts
Thanked 7,586 Times in 3,251 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Warm beer or soggy cereal?

Quote:
View Post
Hmmmm
Well, you certainly had only kind words for him and FMF.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 29.09.2021, 14:20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Zurich
Posts: 67
Groaned at 14 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 147 Times in 66 Posts
Pewpewpew has a reputation beyond reputePewpewpew has a reputation beyond reputePewpewpew has a reputation beyond reputePewpewpew has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Warm beer or soggy cereal?

Quote:
View Post
It is a bit boring here, yes. Not bad, just missing good topics. I guess this is also Covid fatigue.

While I felt the forum was undermoderated before and bans intransparent, I certainly have the impression the new set up is overly interventionist, and at risk also being biased. I hope this is just birth pains and we will end up with a good balance.

Lastly, the "debate without getting personal" point also applies to those here who feel like they are on the moral highgrounds and now show immense Schadenfreude towards TC and others, like a childish "we have won" parade.

Did you complain about schadenfreude when the other 2 mods were disbanded summarily? Cause that thread was all that and a bag of potato chips from fmf, tc, et al.

Just asking,double standards and all...
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Pewpewpew for this useful post:
  #55  
Old 29.09.2021, 14:32
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kt.ZH
Posts: 11,702
Groaned at 441 Times in 362 Posts
Thanked 18,058 Times in 9,123 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Warm beer or soggy cereal?

Quote:
View Post
Did you complain about schadenfreude when the other 2 mods were disbanded summarily? Cause that thread was all that and a bag of potato chips from fmf, tc, et al.

Just asking,double standards and all...
Not only that thread, many other threads.....
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank greenmount for this useful post:
  #56  
Old 29.09.2021, 14:33
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 3,711
Groaned at 349 Times in 246 Posts
Thanked 7,586 Times in 3,251 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Warm beer or soggy cereal?

Quote:
View Post
Did you complain about schadenfreude when the other 2 mods were disbanded summarily? Cause that thread was all that and a bag of potato chips from fmf, tc, et al.

Just asking,double standards and all...
Which thread and which mods?

Have your dose of Schadenfreude, that's fine. What concerns me more are the deletion of posts that had no personal attacks whatsoever and were part of the debate. Not saying the deletion was biased in one direction, but still overegulated. Which goes back to the point I have made several times before - mods should warn in threads when the see things derailing and also issue warnings there instead of just deleting or banning. That way people can develop a sense for the rules of play.

But yeah, mod work must be a pain in the butt. I hope they get paid well ...
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 29.09.2021, 14:36
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Zurich
Posts: 67
Groaned at 14 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 147 Times in 66 Posts
Pewpewpew has a reputation beyond reputePewpewpew has a reputation beyond reputePewpewpew has a reputation beyond reputePewpewpew has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Warm beer or soggy cereal?

Quote:
View Post
Which thread and which mods?

Have your dose of Schadenfreude, that's fine. What concerns me more are the deletion of posts that had no personal attacks whatsoever and were part of the debate. Not saying the deletion was biased in one direction, but still overegulated. Which goes back to the point I have made several times before - mods should warn in threads when the see things derailing and also issue warnings there instead of just deleting or banning. That way people can develop a sense for the rules of play.

But yeah, mod work must be a pain in the butt. I hope they get paid well ...
22y and ace1. On the mod shakeup/coup ones.

Did you complain about the banning for wasting moderator resources too?

We can do this all day. Just acknowledge you are being "double standarish" too... And then we keep doing forum biz as usual

Sidenote: my posts were deleted and the mod was right. It wasn't on topic and neither were offensive either. Was the right call to prune. Good job. Kudos too all. Schandefreunde to some

Last edited by Pewpewpew; 29.09.2021 at 14:47.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Pewpewpew for this useful post:
  #58  
Old 29.09.2021, 14:36
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Cold Ghost
Posts: 333
Groaned at 52 Times in 46 Posts
Thanked 940 Times in 378 Posts
BritS has a reputation beyond reputeBritS has a reputation beyond reputeBritS has a reputation beyond reputeBritS has a reputation beyond reputeBritS has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Warm beer or soggy cereal?

Quote:
View Post
Which thread and which mods?

Have your dose of Schadenfreude, that's fine. What concerns me more are the deletion of posts that had no personal attacks whatsoever and were part of the debate. Not saying the deletion was biased in one direction, but still overegulated. Which goes back to the point I have made several times before - mods should warn in threads when the see things derailing and also issue warnings there instead of just deleting or banning. That way people can develop a sense for the rules of play.

But yeah, mod work must be a pain in the butt. I hope they get paid well ...
I guess we'll agree to disagree here. The only deletions I remember being part of were when the vote from 26th Sept thread got pulled in the direction of Transgender bathrooms and surrogacy, neither of which were applicable to the vote. I was (fairly) amongst the deletees, so nothing but positive things to say about the new modding.
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank BritS for this useful post:
  #59  
Old 29.09.2021, 14:44
TonyClifton's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Hopefully soon to be Aargau
Posts: 2,136
Groaned at 975 Times in 547 Posts
Thanked 5,144 Times in 2,287 Posts
TonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond reputeTonyClifton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Warm beer or soggy cereal?

Quote:
View Post
Quote:
View Post
Indeed, before it only took a little back and forth and disagreement over an issue before the cries would begin, "BAN THIS TROLL!!!". Since the change in management, we've not seen this sort of discourse, and since those who used to employ this tactic have either gone quiet or realised it's pointless, the tone of debate has improved substantially imo!
Hmmmm
I was literally banned yesterday because one or more of you went crying to the moderators. There is no further proof needed that I was right.

Enjoy it while you can, as the old adage goes, be careful what you wish for...
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 29.09.2021, 14:56
Tom1234's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Kanton Luzern
Posts: 17,768
Groaned at 716 Times in 560 Posts
Thanked 27,188 Times in 10,962 Posts
Tom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond reputeTom1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Warm beer or soggy cereal?

Quote:
View Post
I was literally banned yesterday because one or more of you went crying to the moderators. There is no further proof needed that I was right.
You were banned for 24 hours. Under the regime you keep raving about, I was banned for two weeks for complaining about a mod's selective deleting of posts.

It used to be a case before that, that if a thread went off-topic, but was still worth pursing, all the posts got moved to the applicable old or new thread and not just a select few on the whim of a moderator with pretty known biased views.

Was I more annoyed than I should have been? Perhaps, but I had spent some time fact-checking on the BAG website before making my post.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Tom1234 for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cheerios Cereal in Coop! WonderwallGal Food and drink 10 19.07.2016 12:04
Anyone know which company makes this cereal Roestigraben Food and drink 0 16.07.2014 01:17
Getting ovomaltine cereal in the UK tariqbutt Food and drink 7 12.03.2013 23:07
Crisp, not soggy, pastry Tinks Food and drink 1 18.09.2010 22:03
Hello from the Soggy Island Coillte Introductions 9 12.01.2010 18:45


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0