Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 20.09.2022, 20:34
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: Basel
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Genfersee has no particular reputation at present
Suspicious / bad recruiters

Hi all

I often have the impression that recruiters approach me not because of they have a position for me but because of they want to extract info on my current situation (on behalf of third parties).

In worst case scenario I have often the impression that recruiters are reaching me (highly likely contracted by current employer, or maybe they are just close friends) and see if I react to their outreach. Sometimes I answer and have the interview but the job interviews seem very weird and it is evident that they have no real position but are just fishing for info on behalf of my employer (basically proving them that I am job hunting or not).

Are this practice common in the recruitement word and if so are such practices illegal? what are the consequences for the "bad" recruiter if cought red handed doing something like this?

Thank you
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23.09.2022, 17:01
tinkertailor's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
tinkertailor has no particular reputation at present
Re: Suspicious / bad recruiters

Quote:
View Post
Hi all

I often have the impression that recruiters approach me not because of they have a position for me but because of they want to extract info on my current situation (on behalf of third parties).

In worst case scenario I have often the impression that recruiters are reaching me (highly likely contracted by current employer, or maybe they are just close friends) and see if I react to their outreach. Sometimes I answer and have the interview but the job interviews seem very weird and it is evident that they have no real position but are just fishing for info on behalf of my employer (basically proving them that I am job hunting or not).

Are this practice common in the recruitement word and if so are such practices illegal? what are the consequences for the "bad" recruiter if cought red handed doing something like this?

Thank you
I don't think this is a common practice in the recruitment world or at least I haven't heard of anything like this before.

IMHO I don't think the reason why they reach you out is any of the things you stated, but because that's what they do. They reach people.

There are recruiters that work for recruiting companies and have the sole purpose of finding suitable candidates for specific jobs, and they offer them to companies. They reach out to many of the needed profiles and assemble and maintain a pipeline of candidates. They get a bonus if they manage to refer a good candidate to a client's company.

Once you get into their pipeline, if they find you suitable for a specific job, they'll arrange a job interview with a company's staff. They'll even provide you with tips and tricks on how to pass the interview and get the job. That's how they get a bonus, and you get a job.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 23.09.2022, 19:16
robBob's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 3,307
Groaned at 67 Times in 52 Posts
Thanked 3,311 Times in 1,757 Posts
robBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond reputerobBob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suspicious / bad recruiters

Welcome to reality 101.

So what else is new?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank robBob for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 23.09.2022, 21:01
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SG
Posts: 10,131
Groaned at 591 Times in 428 Posts
Thanked 13,652 Times in 7,102 Posts
Urs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond reputeUrs Max has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suspicious / bad recruiters

I found this article quite intersting, including the mail template.

https://index.medium.com/career-advi...er-4474eac9556
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 24.09.2022, 12:27
NotAllThere's Avatar
Modulo 2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 15,402
Groaned at 322 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 23,993 Times in 9,762 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suspicious / bad recruiters

Quote:
View Post
There are recruiters that work for recruiting companies and have the sole purpose of finding suitable candidates for specific jobs, and they offer them to companies. They reach out to many of the needed profiles and assemble and maintain a pipeline of candidates. They get a bonus if they manage to refer a good candidate to a client's company.
how naive!

Recruiters are salespeople. Their job is to contact customers. You, the candidate, are NOT their customer. - you are what they are selling. They will phone you to get leads. Your boss's name, any projects going on that they can push candidates to.

Their bonuses relate to quantity not quality.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 25.09.2022, 00:04
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Valais
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
ValaisMan has no particular reputation at present
Re: Suspicious / bad recruiters

Some want to know your end date and rate so they can replace you and then they get the commission.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank ValaisMan for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 25.09.2022, 08:38
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Basel
Posts: 25
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Skater has no particular reputation at present
Re: Suspicious / bad recruiters

Don’t agree to the interview with the recruiter unless they provide the job details they are recruiting for. I would avoid the „let’s get in touch about your current situation“ calls.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Yesterday, 13:01
tinkertailor's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2022
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
tinkertailor has no particular reputation at present
Re: Suspicious / bad recruiters

Quote:
View Post
how naive!

Recruiters are salespeople. Their job is to contact customers. You, the candidate, are NOT their customer. - you are what they are selling. They will phone you to get leads. Your boss's name, any projects going on that they can push candidates to.

Their bonuses relate to quantity not quality.
I've got to admit, this makes sense. Though I'm not sure if they only focus on quantity, as a few bad referrals might hurt their reputation in the long term.


Quote:
View Post
I found this article quite intersting, including the mail template.

https://index.medium.com/career-advi...er-4474eac9556
However, this is a great breakdown of how to stay on the safe side with such bad recruiters, sir.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Yesterday, 13:17
NotAllThere's Avatar
Modulo 2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 15,402
Groaned at 322 Times in 276 Posts
Thanked 23,993 Times in 9,762 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Suspicious / bad recruiters

I worked as a freelancer for years, so dealt extensively with recruiters. With a few honourable exceptions, they were largerly short term chancers.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank NotAllThere for this useful post:
  #10  
Old Today, 07:30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Vaud
Posts: 423
Groaned at 35 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 197 Times in 128 Posts
Gravity has earned the respect of manyGravity has earned the respect of manyGravity has earned the respect of many
Re: Suspicious / bad recruiters

Being unemployed for some time I had to find out non-suitable jobs to apply for to fill out the spreadsheet whilst I was busy dealing with the job ads I wanted to get to.


Few years has passed but I still receive emails about director/management positions for me It seems that every now and again the recruiters change jobs and the new one refreshes the database but never delete records



OP either you are holding a specific position or you're simply paranoid. No company would pay secret agents to find out who's ready to leave the nest. They simply buy market reports to compare where they stand and calculate the risks. These reports are not compiled by sourcing semi-quality data by randomly interviewing people by random recruiters, though yes there's also a specific market for data obtained that way.


Rule of thumb: never reveal details about your current salary, job, etc. When you're causally contacted by a recruiter speak only what you are looking for at your eventual next job (you may do so by manipulating, why not, answering that your current package is 500k pa). If the recruiter starts pushing just tell them firmly you won't share such data.

Last edited by Gravity; Today at 07:52.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Today, 11:36
sonnenhund's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Aargau
Posts: 153
Groaned at 8 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 215 Times in 82 Posts
sonnenhund has earned the respect of manysonnenhund has earned the respect of manysonnenhund has earned the respect of many
Re: Suspicious / bad recruiters

Quote:
View Post
Being unemployed for some time I had to find out non-suitable jobs to apply for to fill out the spreadsheet whilst I was busy dealing with the job ads I wanted to get to.

Few years has passed but I still receive emails about director/management positions for me It seems that every now and again the recruiters change jobs and the new one refreshes the database but never delete records

OP either you are holding a specific position or you're simply paranoid. No company would pay secret agents to find out who's ready to leave the nest. They simply buy market reports to compare where they stand and calculate the risks. These reports are not compiled by sourcing semi-quality data by randomly interviewing people by random recruiters, though yes there's also a specific market for data obtained that way.

Rule of thumb: never reveal details about your current salary, job, etc. When you're causally contacted by a recruiter speak only what you are looking for at your eventual next job (you may do so by manipulating, why not, answering that your current package is 500k pa). If the recruiter starts pushing just tell them firmly you won't share such data.
I get calls and emails from my resume 25 years ago for junior programming positions. As pointed out by others, recruiting is more a quantity game than a quality game. Recruiters try to get as many resumes and CVs as they can in front of managers' eyes hoping that one of theirs gets the job and they get the commission.

Quote:
View Post
I worked as a freelancer for years, so dealt extensively with recruiters. With a few honourable exceptions, they were largerly short term chancers.
I do not envy the challenge of being in recruiting, it's a rough job that goes largely unappreciated. All of my positions except one since about 2002 has been through a recruiter. So I hate them, but I love them.

It's a field full of fly-by-night companies who hire people who can read from scripts and punch numbers on telephones (and not much else) who are only interested in their commissions at the end of the day.

But there are some recruiters who are decent people, working for decent companies. Even then, you're the product, not the customer. The best recruiters recognize that they need to keep both sides of that equation happy.

Back to the OP's point, only one of two things is happening:
  1. the recruiter is trying to get information from you in hope of you becoming a candidate (the product they sell), thus earning them a commission, or
  2. the recruiter is trying to get information from you about your company in hope they can place candidates, thus earning them a commission.

...and that's about it.

Last edited by sonnenhund; Today at 11:38. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank sonnenhund for this useful post:
This user groans at sonnenhund for this post:
Reply

Tags
bad, mistery shoppers, recruiters, unprofessional




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (1 members and 1 guests)
chaos
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suspicious debt collection alohasal Finance/banking/taxation 31 18.09.2019 22:57
Blackpool death not suspicious Sbrinz General off-topic 8 14.09.2015 10:50
13 year old hangs herself & it's not suspicious! Medea Fleecestealer General off-topic 21 05.06.2015 12:57
Would you be suspicious too? Dunroaming Daily life 43 30.06.2013 12:41
Is this employment contract clause ok as looks a bit suspicious.... ashtraxx Employment 3 28.05.2008 00:52


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0