Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01.11.2022, 22:42
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Up there over the fog
Posts: 5,296
Groaned at 926 Times in 585 Posts
Thanked 5,184 Times in 2,760 Posts
JackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond repute
Issues involved when retiring to Switzerland from other countries

Quote:
View Post
That’s not how it works at all, not these days.

Certainly not t'other way round. We are covered by S1 exemption because we do NOT have Swiss pensions, only our UK ones. If we had both, we would have to take up Swiss Insurance (as we did until OH got to 65, State retirement age in UK- S1 only kicked in afterwards).

If anyone could find the link about the reversed situation, CH to UK- a) with a pension from both, or b) with Swiss pension only.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 30.12.2022, 14:03
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 6,247
Groaned at 410 Times in 294 Posts
Thanked 10,363 Times in 4,507 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leaving Switzerland - Health Insurance issues

Quote:
View Post
The key section from above:

'Les retraités doivent conclure une assurance-maladie dans l’État où ils perçoivent leur rente, même
s’ils résident dans l’autre État. Lorsqu’ils perçoivent une rente des deux États, ils doivent s’assurer
dans l’État où ils résident (titre III, chap. 1, section 2).'

'Retirees must take up Health Insurance in the country where they get their pension, even if they live in another country. If they get a pension from both countries, they have to be insured in the country where they live.'



I do wonder the rules apply the same for early retirees, eg not of State age for Pension.

For exemption S1, for retirees from UK in Switzerland and EU (Pre Brexit)- it only kicked in when the 'main' bread winner got to age 65- and not to early-retirees (who had to take on Swiss Health Insurance in the interim period).
How would you qualify for a retirement visa if you have not reached the official retirement age?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 30.12.2022, 14:07
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Up there over the fog
Posts: 5,296
Groaned at 926 Times in 585 Posts
Thanked 5,184 Times in 2,760 Posts
JackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leaving Switzerland - Health Insurance issues

No visa required at the time, for UK retirees coming to Switzerland- PRE BREXIT. By OH was 'early retired' and 63 when we moved here, and so we had to take health/accident Insurance until he turned 65 and got UK State Pension. Although I was a bit younger, I was able to claim same exemption as his dependent. But that was the 'other way round'.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 30.12.2022, 14:13
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 7,720
Groaned at 186 Times in 118 Posts
Thanked 9,110 Times in 4,076 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leaving Switzerland - Health Insurance issues

Quote:
View Post
How would you qualify for a retirement visa if you have not reached the official retirement age?
You don’t need a visa to retire in Switzerland if you are Swiss or in the U.K. if you are British. A Swiss person could work most of their life in the U.K. and then retire in CH and vice versa, no visa required.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 30.12.2022, 14:39
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zurich City
Posts: 7,835
Groaned at 609 Times in 359 Posts
Thanked 9,750 Times in 4,529 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leaving Switzerland - Health Insurance issues

Quote:
View Post
No visa required at the time, for UK retirees coming to Switzerland- PRE BREXIT. By OH was 'early retired' and 63 when we moved here, and so we had to take health/accident Insurance until he turned 65 and got UK State Pension. Although I was a bit younger, I was able to claim same exemption as his dependent. But that was the 'other way round'.
Of course you don‘t need any visa to retire in Switzerland if you have a Swiss passport. Switzerland does also not recognise ‚other‘ passports of Swiss nationals holding more than one Swiss passport.

As to „early retirement“:

In Switzerland, the statutory retirement age is 65 for men and (recently) 64 for women.

In Switzerland, you can retire one or two years ahead of the statutory retirement age to receive the 1st pillar (mandatory) pension: men can already retire at the age of 64 or 63; and women, at 63 or 62. But of course this comes at a corresponding reduction of pension.

Generally you cannot receive your 2nd pillar (occupational) pension before you reach the statutory retirement age. However, many pension funds allow early retirement from the age of 58.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank ZuriRollt for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 30.12.2022, 14:55
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Up there over the fog
Posts: 5,296
Groaned at 926 Times in 585 Posts
Thanked 5,184 Times in 2,760 Posts
JackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leaving Switzerland - Health Insurance issues

You didn't need a retirement Visa to come to CH from UK pre-Brexit- without a Swiss passport. And you could get S1 exemption if you were of UK State retirement age (65). All this has gone now- thanks to Brexit.

I have several friends from UK who bought holiday homes many moons ago, with the intention of retire to CH later. They are now totally unable to, for so many legal issues. And can't visit as often as they would like due to the 90 day rule, etc.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank JackieH for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 30.12.2022, 15:09
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zurich City
Posts: 7,835
Groaned at 609 Times in 359 Posts
Thanked 9,750 Times in 4,529 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leaving Switzerland - Health Insurance issues

Quote:
View Post
You didn't need a retirement Visa to come to CH from UK pre-Brexit- without a Swiss passport. And you could get S1 exemption if you were of UK State retirement age (65). All this has gone now- thanks to Brexit.

I have several friends from UK who bought holiday homes many moons ago, with the intention of retire to CH later. They are now totally unable to, for so many legal issues. And can't visit as often as they would like due to the 90 day rule, etc.
Sorry, but I‘m glad that I live and have my pension in a country that thinks (for quite a long while) before it votes . Anyhow, don‘t want to derail thread …
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ZuriRollt for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 30.12.2022, 15:10
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Up there over the fog
Posts: 5,296
Groaned at 926 Times in 585 Posts
Thanked 5,184 Times in 2,760 Posts
JackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leaving Switzerland - Health Insurance issues

Yes, count yourself very lucky. Those of us who moved 'the other' way, could not in any way, shape or form, even begin to imagine what is happening now! And how deeply people are being affected, in 1000s of ways.

And back to OP indeed.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank JackieH for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 30.12.2022, 15:15
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zurich City
Posts: 7,835
Groaned at 609 Times in 359 Posts
Thanked 9,750 Times in 4,529 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leaving Switzerland - Health Insurance issues

Quote:
View Post
Those of us who moved 'the other' way, could not in any way, shape or form, even begin to imagine what is happening now! And how deeply people are being affected, in 1000s of ways.

And back to OP indeed.
That is evident each and every time we read UK press. Having spent half my life there to date, I know how badly informed (informed ourselves) we were generally over those decades. Sad, really.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 30.12.2022, 21:20
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 12,845
Groaned at 798 Times in 676 Posts
Thanked 25,709 Times in 13,440 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Retiring in Switzerland issues

It is a mess, so many UK people retired to EU countries pre-Brexit and now find themselves in a bureaucratic and declining income mess. Karma is some actually voted for this.

At least in Switzerland UK people benefit from the inflation-based UK pension increases, whether these compensate enough for the falling exchange rate is a lottery.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 30.12.2022, 21:44
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zurich City
Posts: 7,835
Groaned at 609 Times in 359 Posts
Thanked 9,750 Times in 4,529 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Retiring in Switzerland issues

Quote:
View Post
It is a mess, so many UK people retired to EU countries pre-Brexit and now find themselves in a bureaucratic and declining income mess. Karma is some actually voted for this.

At least in Switzerland UK people benefit from the inflation-based UK pension increases, whether these compensate enough for the falling exchange rate is a lottery.
It‘s clear even from the posts on this forum, that no-one - the British government included - has any idea on how to proceed when it comes to severing ties and all it’s consequences with the EU / countries like Switzerland for the common folk, including pensions, health insurance and those that bought properties abroad in anticipation of their retirement. A bus carrying a slogan implying you will save money seems to have been the deciding factor.

There is plenty of informative and complete information published on Swiss official sites for non Swiss residents, however it seems that the UK has hardly any info at all about leaving the UK ?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank ZuriRollt for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 30.12.2022, 21:59
Jim2007's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kt. Bern
Posts: 6,247
Groaned at 410 Times in 294 Posts
Thanked 10,363 Times in 4,507 Posts
Jim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond reputeJim2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Leaving Switzerland - Health Insurance issues

Quote:
View Post
You don’t need a visa to retire in Switzerland if you are Swiss or in the U.K. if you are British. A Swiss person could work most of their life in the U.K. and then retire in CH and vice versa, no visa required.
Of course you have always needed to meet the residency requirement to move here if you are British or any other state for that matter.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Jim2007 for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 30.12.2022, 22:02
marton's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kt. Zürich
Posts: 12,845
Groaned at 798 Times in 676 Posts
Thanked 25,709 Times in 13,440 Posts
marton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond reputemarton has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Retiring in Switzerland issues

Quote:
View Post
It‘s clear even from the posts on this forum, that no-one - the British government included - has any idea on how to proceed when it comes to severing ties and all it’s consequences with the EU / countries like Switzerland for the common folk, including pensions, health insurance and those that bought properties abroad in anticipation of their retirement. A bus carrying a slogan implying you will save money seems to have been the deciding factor.

There is plenty of informative and complete information published on Swiss official sites for non Swiss residents, however it seems that the UK has hardly any info at all about leaving the UK ?
But it was a very nice bus, modern and clean - quite unlike the usual UK public transport.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank marton for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 30.12.2022, 22:17
slammer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lummerland
Posts: 5,882
Groaned at 287 Times in 196 Posts
Thanked 11,342 Times in 4,568 Posts
slammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond reputeslammer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Retiring in Switzerland issues

Quote:
View Post
It‘s clear even from the posts on this forum, that no-one - the British government included - has any idea on how to proceed when it comes to severing ties and all it’s consequences with the EU / countries like Switzerland for the common folk, including pensions, health insurance and those that bought properties abroad in anticipation of their retirement. A bus carrying a slogan implying you will save money seems to have been the deciding factor.

There is plenty of informative and complete information published on Swiss official sites for non Swiss residents, however it seems that the UK has hardly any info at all about leaving the UK ?
Judging by the way Britannia is shaking her booty and flashing her tits to the EU we may not have to wait too long before Britain is back in the fold.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 30.12.2022, 22:20
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zurich City
Posts: 7,835
Groaned at 609 Times in 359 Posts
Thanked 9,750 Times in 4,529 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Retiring in Switzerland issues

Quote:
View Post
Judging by the way Britannia is shaking her booty and flashing her tits to the EU we may not have to wait too long before Britain is back in the fold.
Are you referring to Her Royal Highness Meghan, The Duchess of Sussex, Countess of Dumbarton and Baroness Kilkeel ? They seem undecided on which country they would like to retire in since quite a few years.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank ZuriRollt for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 30.12.2022, 22:24
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Up there over the fog
Posts: 5,296
Groaned at 926 Times in 585 Posts
Thanked 5,184 Times in 2,760 Posts
JackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Retiring in Switzerland issues

Quote:
View Post
It is a mess, so many UK people retired to EU countries pre-Brexit and now find themselves in a bureaucratic and declining income mess. Karma is some actually voted for this.

At least in Switzerland UK people benefit from the inflation-based UK pension increases, whether these compensate enough for the falling exchange rate is a lottery.
A lottery in what way? Can you think of anyone who has moved to CH or even EU who has not lost massively- there are no winners! Everyone who moves has to plan for currency moves- but no-one could have ever ever predicted going down to parity or just above. In our case, from 2007 to now- over 60% loss of income 'just' due to exchange rate- and then comes inflation, especially for energy prices. No-one coud have planned for this.

But at least those who moved pre Brexit to retire could claim S1 medical insurance exemption - which is no longer available for those coming after.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank JackieH for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 30.12.2022, 22:33
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Zurich City
Posts: 7,835
Groaned at 609 Times in 359 Posts
Thanked 9,750 Times in 4,529 Posts
ZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond reputeZuriRollt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Retiring in Switzerland issues

Quote:
View Post
A lottery in what way? Can you think of anyone who has moved to CH or even EU who has not lost massively- there are no winners! Everyone who moves has to plan for currency moves- but no-one could have ever ever predicted going down to parity or just above. In our case, from 2007 to now- over 60% loss of income 'just' due to exchange rate- and then comes inflation, especially for energy prices. No-one coud have planned for this.

But at least those who moved pre Brexit to retire could claim S1 medical insurance exemption - which is no longer available for those coming after.
As someone once PM‘d me on EF: Go Girl!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 30.12.2022, 23:01
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Up there over the fog
Posts: 5,296
Groaned at 926 Times in 585 Posts
Thanked 5,184 Times in 2,760 Posts
JackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Retiring in Switzerland issues

Wow - EF works in mysterious ways ?!?!?!


But OK- no-one from UK would move to Switzerland now to retire, post Brexit- as the rights UK citizens had before have been stripped from them- S1 exemption for health/accident insurance, and due to tanking pound. They would be mad to.

Unless they are very very very rich (and more).
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank JackieH for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 31.12.2022, 11:39
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Up there over the fog
Posts: 5,296
Groaned at 926 Times in 585 Posts
Thanked 5,184 Times in 2,760 Posts
JackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond reputeJackieH has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Issues involved when retiring to Switzerland

The dreams of several I know have been shattered. They bought small properties in Switzerland as holiday homes a long time ago, at a very good price. With the intention of eventually moving here when they retired. They had done the planning very carefully and all was fine. And then - bang- Brexit happened just as they retired and it all fell apart. Three of our friends are in that position, and I am sure there are many more.

We made the move on time, bought the property when Sterling was worth almost 2.50, and are able to benefit from S1 exemption, which is no longer possible. But with our income having dropped due to very low Sterling value, to less than 50% and at times even less when Sterling got to almost parity recently- combined with inflation and energy costs- it's going to be tough.

Worse is, that we just could not imagine going back to the UK now. Financially, it would make sense- as we would make a few bob on the sale of the house in CHF and change into Sterling. But at our age, going back to an NHS in tatters, where people are dying outside A&E waiting in ambulances and unable to even see a GP- it is not appealing. And the Great Britain we both loved, and worked for and lived and loved in for all our adult life and for OH from the age ot two- has gone. So we will 'make do', adjust, adapt - that's OK.

I am not complaining or whining, just saying it as it is.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank JackieH for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 31.12.2022, 12:11
komsomolez's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SZ
Posts: 4,640
Groaned at 566 Times in 407 Posts
Thanked 11,363 Times in 4,833 Posts
komsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond reputekomsomolez has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Issues involved when retiring to Switzerland

Currency exposure is a major risk, period. I don't know that is a Brexit issue. If I receive a Swiss pension and move back to EU, I also have this risk. How big a risk it is, no one can say.

I realize it can be a big problem for some, but I don't know why we need another thread whining about Brexit and how unfair everything is.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank komsomolez for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Retiring in Switzerland and need legal advise Lukerm2 Permits/visas/government 35 02.07.2018 22:25
UK/Swiss residence query for Brit retiring to UK but keeping house in Switzerland. richardw Finance/banking/taxation 22 05.04.2018 12:59
Costs involved with taking UK car to Switzerland silver81 Transportation/driving 1 04.05.2011 18:41
Thinking of retiring in Switzerland Chelsea Introductions 16 27.04.2011 23:29
Thinking of retiring to Switzerland dixie Introductions 14 05.05.2008 20:52


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0