Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #441  
Old 28.05.2008, 15:34
heebeegeebee's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 172
Groaned at 13 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 59 Times in 36 Posts
heebeegeebee has earned some respectheebeegeebee has earned some respect
Re: What do you really miss the most?

Sounds delicious. If you make the sauce from scratch you really need the raw chocolate. You should surely be able to get that here somewhere? And, stop groaning at my post you petty colonials!
Reply With Quote
  #442  
Old 28.05.2008, 15:37
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,398
Groaned at 544 Times in 418 Posts
Thanked 10,130 Times in 5,411 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What do you really miss the most?

Quote:
View Post
Sounds delicious. If you make the sauce from scratch you really need the raw chocolate. You should surely be able to get that here somewhere? And, stop groaning at my post you petty colonials!
El Maiz sells kits at various price ranges. Chocolate included.

http://www.elmaiz.ch:8080/elmaiz/jsp...s.jsp?cat=Mole

Any of these any good?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Phos for this useful post:
  #443  
Old 28.05.2008, 15:39
latigresse's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 663
Groaned at 27 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 693 Times in 320 Posts
latigresse has a reputation beyond reputelatigresse has a reputation beyond reputelatigresse has a reputation beyond reputelatigresse has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What do you really miss the most?

Quote:
View Post
El Maiz sells kits at various price ranges. Chocolate included.
I SOOOO need to pay them a visit. I'd love to have another go at making Molé again.
Reply With Quote
  #444  
Old 28.05.2008, 15:41
heebeegeebee's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 172
Groaned at 13 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 59 Times in 36 Posts
heebeegeebee has earned some respectheebeegeebee has earned some respect
Re: What do you really miss the most?

I could bring a Mariachi band consisting of Jaliscan transexuals to the party but I don't think it would go down too well. maybe just Tequila then...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank heebeegeebee for this useful post:
  #445  
Old 28.05.2008, 15:48
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,398
Groaned at 544 Times in 418 Posts
Thanked 10,130 Times in 5,411 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What do you really miss the most?

Quote:
View Post
I could bring a Mariachi band consisting of Jaliscan transexuals to the party but I don't think it would go down too well. maybe just Tequila then...
Just make sure it's real fine tequila. Not the kind you buy at denner here.
Patron would do the job of unruffling Chem's feathers, and mine too.

Here's a list Tequila from El Maiz.
Reply With Quote
  #446  
Old 28.05.2008, 15:54
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kt Zh
Posts: 5,348
Groaned at 26 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 7,743 Times in 3,360 Posts
edot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What do you really miss the most?

Quote:
View Post
Sounds delicious. If you make the sauce from scratch you really need the raw chocolate. You should surely be able to get that here somewhere? And, stop groaning at my post you petty colonials!
Ok, so here is where you know I'm not Mexican. What do you mean by raw chocolate? I have used cacao nibs, ibaria (drinking chocolate) ,85% chocolate and whatever else was in the house at the time.

Dona Maria is the stuff I meant - we had that in the US. But where's the fun in that? So much more entertaining to make a huge mess in the kitchen. it is, however much less expensive to buy the paste and go from there...
Reply With Quote
  #447  
Old 28.05.2008, 15:55
Sutter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 5,796
Groaned at 67 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,760 Times in 1,589 Posts
Sutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What do you really miss the most?

Quote:
View Post
I could bring a Mariachi band consisting of Jaliscan transexuals to the party but I don't think it would go down too well. maybe just Tequila then...
Am i missing something here Party, and Tequila can i come please i can bring some fresh home made Amaretto cookies
Reply With Quote
  #448  
Old 28.05.2008, 15:56
chemgoddess's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: somewhere, USA
Posts: 1,345
Groaned at 41 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 950 Times in 459 Posts
chemgoddess has an excellent reputationchemgoddess has an excellent reputationchemgoddess has an excellent reputationchemgoddess has an excellent reputation
Re: What do you really miss the most?

Quote:
View Post
Just make sure it's real fine tequila. Not the kind you buy at denner here.
Patron would do the job of unruffling Chem's feathers, and mine too.

Here's a list Tequila from El Maiz.
Feather's aren't ruffled. But oh boy, I do love Patron or any top tier tequila. However, I refuse to pay CHF 140 for a bottle at El Maiz.

The tequila you get in most bars in Europe really is CRAP.

I miss good tequila.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank chemgoddess for this useful post:
  #449  
Old 28.05.2008, 16:01
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,398
Groaned at 544 Times in 418 Posts
Thanked 10,130 Times in 5,411 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What do you really miss the most?

Quote:
View Post
Feather's aren't ruffled. But oh boy, I do love Patron or any top tier tequila. However, I refuse to pay CHF 140 for a bottle at El Maiz.

The tequila you get in most bars in Europe really is CRAP.

I miss good tequila.

SSSsshh! I was hoping no one would tell him how much good tequila cost.

Nevertheless, my feathers are ruffled, damn it!

Besides, Patron Silver is only CHF90 at El Maiz.

Last edited by Phos; 28.05.2008 at 16:11. Reason: insert photo
Reply With Quote
  #450  
Old 28.05.2008, 16:14
heebeegeebee's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 172
Groaned at 13 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 59 Times in 36 Posts
heebeegeebee has earned some respectheebeegeebee has earned some respect
Re: What do you really miss the most?

Quote:
View Post
Ok, so here is where you know I'm not Mexican. What do you mean by raw chocolate? I have used cacao nibs, ibaria (drinking chocolate) ,85% chocolate and whatever else was in the house at the time.

Dona Maria is the stuff I meant - we had that in the US. But where's the fun in that? So much more entertaining to make a huge mess in the kitchen. it is, however much less expensive to buy the paste and go from there...
I mean the absolute raw chocolate. it's like a brick and not remotely sweet. The maid at my ex's place used to make Mole with that. I guess you must be able to get such stuff in Switzerland seeing as they make so much chocolate but I've not seen it outside of Mexico. Mar will know the stuff I mean, but I don't see it in the shop.
Reply With Quote
  #451  
Old 28.05.2008, 16:17
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,398
Groaned at 544 Times in 418 Posts
Thanked 10,130 Times in 5,411 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What do you really miss the most?

Quote:
View Post
I mean the absolute raw chocolate. it's like a brick and not remotely sweet. The maid at my ex's place used to make Mole with that. I guess you must be able to get such stuff in Switzerland seeing as they make so much chocolate but I've not seen it outside of Mexico. Mar will know the stuff I mean, but I don't see it in the shop.
If you don't see it there, I'm sure you can find it in a spanish store. My grandmother use to make hot cocoa and a chocolate rice or tapioca pudding with it.
Reply With Quote
  #452  
Old 28.05.2008, 16:17
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Kt Zh
Posts: 5,348
Groaned at 26 Times in 25 Posts
Thanked 7,743 Times in 3,360 Posts
edot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond reputeedot has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What do you really miss the most?

Quote:
View Post
I mean the absolute raw chocolate. it's like a brick and not remotely sweet. The maid at my ex's place used to make Mole with that. I guess you must be able to get such stuff in Switzerland seeing as they make so much chocolate but I've not seen it outside of Mexico. Mar will know the stuff I mean, but I don't see it in the shop.
Yeah, ok, I think I know what you're talking about. I might have to bring some back from the US with me - I've not seen it here.
Reply With Quote
  #453  
Old 28.05.2008, 21:29
heebeegeebee's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 172
Groaned at 13 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 59 Times in 36 Posts
heebeegeebee has earned some respectheebeegeebee has earned some respect
Re: What do you really miss the most?

While they're trying to work out whether to ban me or not, I tried to get hold of the Jaliscan transexual mariachi band for the "tequila mole peoples revolutionary party" but couldn't. So what I can do is recommend these guys:-

http://www.angelmariatorres.com/

They're Swiss and a bit of a mickey take but still good fun for a party!

Ah the gift of suggestion. Hopefully I didn't just say anything too troll-like or upsetting now?
Reply With Quote
  #454  
Old 28.05.2008, 23:43
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,398
Groaned at 544 Times in 418 Posts
Thanked 10,130 Times in 5,411 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What do you really miss the most?

Quote:
View Post
While they're trying to work out whether to ban me or not, I tried to get hold of the Jaliscan transexual mariachi band for the "tequila mole peoples revolutionary party" but couldn't. So what I can do is recommend these guys:-

http://www.angelmariatorres.com/

They're Swiss and a bit of a mickey take but still good fun for a party!

Ah the gift of suggestion. Hopefully I didn't just say anything too troll-like or upsetting now?

Oh that's easy. Just tell them you were drunk when you posted. Surely they will understands that.



Unless there were offenses other than this thread. An apology also often helps.

Just download some mexican stuff onto an ipod. Make sure to get mexican music that makes you hungry.

You may need to bring an extra bottle of Patron for Lob's entourage.
Reply With Quote
  #455  
Old 29.05.2008, 08:33
heebeegeebee's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 172
Groaned at 13 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 59 Times in 36 Posts
heebeegeebee has earned some respectheebeegeebee has earned some respect
Re: What do you really miss the most?

I did infact apologise if it was my 'up yours' retort that has got peoples backs up. I did so twice in repsonse to two of the PMs I recieved. Anyhow, music that makes you hungry? what an odd concept. Another thread. I miss sleeping in during the week. Nothing to do with geographical location but still.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank heebeegeebee for this useful post:
  #456  
Old 29.05.2008, 08:53
gregv's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: -
Posts: 1,317
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 626 Times in 303 Posts
gregv has a reputation beyond reputegregv has a reputation beyond reputegregv has a reputation beyond reputegregv has a reputation beyond reputegregv has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What do you really miss the most?

Quote:
View Post
I did infact apologise if it was my 'up yours' retort that has got peoples backs up. I did so twice in repsonse to two of the PMs I recieved. Anyhow, music that makes you hungry? what an odd concept. Another thread. I miss sleeping in during the week. Nothing to do with geographical location but still.
Just remember that it is a lot different to try to be humourous over text than in person. A quip that might be quite funny in person can be misinterpreted as an insult in text.

Anyways, you sure it aren't the churchbells causing you to sleep not so well? That was what used to keep me awake at night until we moved further away from the churches. That could be another thread in itself as well
Reply With Quote
  #457  
Old 29.05.2008, 09:25
heebeegeebee's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 172
Groaned at 13 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 59 Times in 36 Posts
heebeegeebee has earned some respectheebeegeebee has earned some respect
Re: What do you really miss the most?

Well, thanks for that extremely insightful advice. Oh no I'm not near the churchbells... I once spent a night in a hotel opposite a church here. Nightmare. My lack of sleeping in is definitely from having to got to work. Necessary evil! But it's not too bad.
Reply With Quote
  #458  
Old 29.05.2008, 11:48
Phos's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ZRH
Posts: 7,398
Groaned at 544 Times in 418 Posts
Thanked 10,130 Times in 5,411 Posts
Phos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond reputePhos has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What do you really miss the most?

Quote:
View Post
I did infact apologise if it was my 'up yours' retort that has got peoples backs up. I did so twice in repsonse to two of the PMs I recieved. Anyhow, music that makes you hungry? what an odd concept. Another thread. I miss sleeping in during the week. Nothing to do with geographical location but still.

Yes, it did go "up yours".

Yes, there is this mexican music that is constantly playing in mexican restaurants when eating mexican food. It's now so ingrained in my mind that when I hear it, I feel like eating mexican food. That makes me Pavlovo's Perro.

For the sleeping problem, try a couple of shots of Patron.
Reply With Quote
  #459  
Old 29.05.2008, 11:57
heebeegeebee's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Zürich
Posts: 172
Groaned at 13 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 59 Times in 36 Posts
heebeegeebee has earned some respectheebeegeebee has earned some respect
Re: What do you really miss the most?

sleepings not the problem. It's waking up! "Sleeping in" means the same thing in Gringolandia as it does in Whingingpomland, right?
Reply With Quote
  #460  
Old 29.05.2008, 12:00
marmoset's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: ZH Oberland
Posts: 431
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 209 Times in 125 Posts
marmoset is considered knowledgeablemarmoset is considered knowledgeablemarmoset is considered knowledgeable
Re: What do you really miss the most?

Quote:
View Post
I mean the absolute raw chocolate. it's like a brick and not remotely sweet. The maid at my ex's place used to make Mole with that. I guess you must be able to get such stuff in Switzerland seeing as they make so much chocolate but I've not seen it outside of Mexico. Mar will know the stuff I mean, but I don't see it in the shop.
Ah, that's "Couverture" chocolate. Unfortunately I haven't seen any at Migros or Coop.

Found some here:
http://www.schokoladen-brunnen.ch/52...ession*id*val*
Minimum ordering quantity 2kg

Probably better to enquire at Sprüngli Paradeplatz or give the Lindt factory a call.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank marmoset for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
homesickness, things from home, unavailable in switzerland, what i miss




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0