Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 22.11.2008, 23:37
Lynn88's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: TI
Posts: 681
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 274 Times in 173 Posts
Lynn88 has an excellent reputationLynn88 has an excellent reputationLynn88 has an excellent reputationLynn88 has an excellent reputation
Re: Trespassing on private property

Quote:
View Post
People do not normally walk onto private property here. What you are experiencing is very odd. Get a big sign for the gate with the words "privat" on it. As for the dog, it's your property, and if it is fenced, why not keep the dog outside? Our property is completely fenced, excluding the front path and driveway. The dogs love to sit at the front which is more interesting than the back garden as there are school children, horses and lots of people walking by. Last week some kindergarten children decided to feed the dogs (looked like rice crackers from what I could tell from the crumbs) and of course the kids ran off as soon as they saw me. I told them it was dangerous for their tiny fingers to be passing food through the fence. The children told me all the dogs do is lick their fingers.

I put some signs on the fence to warn people passing by that there are dogs but it really is a bit funny as all people see when they walk by are wagging tails. Our dogs are really friendly and if the gate weren't locked, and someone took it upon themselves to enter, that would be considered trespassing as far as I am concerned.
We have a small fenced area for the dog at the back of the house. We can't let her go near the fence because stupid people (like you said) will stick their hands in to pet her and she will bite them. I've seen them reaching in when I'm sitting outside in the yard with her.

It's rather unfortunate that the house is in a pedestrian zone where literally thousands pass by on foot and by bike on a sunny day.

Could the fact that I'm in Ticino change something in regards to respecting someone's private property? Before we had the door on the garage, people walked right in there all the time too. It drove me nuts!

I will buy a Private sign. Perhaps that will help but I really doubt it. It's very obvious that this is a private house and property.
  #42  
Old 22.11.2008, 23:40
MoabMan's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Powys, Wales
Posts: 199
Groaned at 16 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 147 Times in 37 Posts
MoabMan has a reputation beyond reputeMoabMan has a reputation beyond reputeMoabMan has a reputation beyond reputeMoabMan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trespassing on private property

Our garden is fenced and gated only on the side facing the street. Everyday in summer and perhaps every weekend at other times of the year we have people walking through it trying to find a shortcut to a nearby carpark. It used to wind me up a lot but I guess I am getting used to it now as I often ignore them when they walk past me when I am outside.

However, people knocking on the door to use our toilet get introduced to our dogs and soon change their mind. Those that park their cars in our driveway get to talk to the Police within seconds as my Swiss neighbour needs it clear for access to his place. We also keep our ground floor shutters closed on one side of the house as our washing machine in the cellar attracts spectators.
This user would like to thank MoabMan for this useful post:
  #43  
Old 22.11.2008, 23:44
Lynn88's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: TI
Posts: 681
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 274 Times in 173 Posts
Lynn88 has an excellent reputationLynn88 has an excellent reputationLynn88 has an excellent reputationLynn88 has an excellent reputation
Re: Trespassing on private property

trespassing-private-property-gate.jpg

This is the gate from the street. They then have to walk up a few stairs to the house.

As you can see, there's the dog sign in red and it's very obvious that this isn't public property.

Last edited by Lynn88; 22.11.2008 at 23:44. Reason: add
  #44  
Old 22.11.2008, 23:48
Tilia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 2,765
Groaned at 81 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 2,649 Times in 1,194 Posts
Tilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trespassing on private property

It really does look like a typical gate to a private park or to a public building. And I guess that people assume that since there is no sign saying Private and because the door is open, it is in fact ok to go in.



Quote:
View Post
Attachment 5636

This is the gate from the street. They then have to walk up a few stairs to the house.

As you can see, there's the dog sign in red and it's very obvious that this isn't public property.
  #45  
Old 22.11.2008, 23:52
Lynn88's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: TI
Posts: 681
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 274 Times in 173 Posts
Lynn88 has an excellent reputationLynn88 has an excellent reputationLynn88 has an excellent reputationLynn88 has an excellent reputation
Re: Trespassing on private property

I didn't want to post the house but when you look at the whole picture Tilia, it really looks like a private residence.
  #46  
Old 23.11.2008, 00:01
Tilia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 2,765
Groaned at 81 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 2,649 Times in 1,194 Posts
Tilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trespassing on private property

And what I am saying is that there are many publicly open spaces that looks like private properties. I am not sure I quite understand what you goal is. Do you want to understand what may be causing your problem and try to solve it or do you just want to let off steam and complain about the people trespassing? I fully understand that you get upset about it, I would to. I'm just saying that by trying to understand why they do it, it is much more likely that you will find a solution to it.




Quote:
View Post
I didn't want to post the house but when you look at the whole picture Tilia, it really looks like a private residence.
  #47  
Old 23.11.2008, 00:02
Lynn88's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: TI
Posts: 681
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 274 Times in 173 Posts
Lynn88 has an excellent reputationLynn88 has an excellent reputationLynn88 has an excellent reputationLynn88 has an excellent reputation
Re: Trespassing on private property

Quote:
View Post
It really does look like a typical gate to a private park or to a public building. And I guess that people assume that since there is no sign saying Private and because the door is open, it is in fact ok to go in.
Here's a picture of the garage that is just left of the gate. Parks don't come with garages. And as I said, before we had the garage door, people were coming right inside the garage.

The gate is not open, it is just unlocked but closed. And again, the garden is small, not like a park at all and we have other houses on both sides.

trespassing-private-property-garage.jpg
  #48  
Old 23.11.2008, 00:11
Lynn88's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: TI
Posts: 681
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 274 Times in 173 Posts
Lynn88 has an excellent reputationLynn88 has an excellent reputationLynn88 has an excellent reputationLynn88 has an excellent reputation
Re: Trespassing on private property

Quote:
View Post
Do you want to understand what may be causing your problem and try to solve it or do you just want to let off steam and complain about the people trespassing?
Actually, both! Saying that people are coming in because they think it's a private park is a lame excuse. Any person can see that it is no such thing. I think that people are just curious and not respectful of other's properties. There are a lot of tourists here so this is in no way an attack on the people of Ticino because I really don't know who the people are who are coming in. I've also asked people to leave my garage numerous times. That problem is solved with the garage door.

I think that I got a lot of good and some funny suggestions for overcoming this problem. The obvious one is to lock the gate, which is a bit of a pain as all of us are going in and out all day and then even for the kids we have to go down to open the gate each time. Another option is to put up a sign that says: PRIVATE or PRIVATO, which is easy enough.
  #49  
Old 23.11.2008, 00:27
MoabMan's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Powys, Wales
Posts: 199
Groaned at 16 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 147 Times in 37 Posts
MoabMan has a reputation beyond reputeMoabMan has a reputation beyond reputeMoabMan has a reputation beyond reputeMoabMan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trespassing on private property

Quote:
View Post
I've also asked people to leave my garage numerous times. That problem is solved with the garage door.
Me too! In a way I'm glad I'm not the only one that has done this. I put the car back in the garage whenever I come home and I always keep it locked. It's a pain having to do this if I am in and out a lot in a day, but I hate people snooping around my garage.

Quote:
View Post
I think that I got a lot of good and some funny suggestions for overcoming this problem. The obvious one is to lock the gate, which is a bit of a pain as all of us are going in and out all day and then even for the kids we have to go down to open the gate each time. Another option is to put up a sign that says: PRIVATE or PRIVATO, which is easy enough.
It may be worthwhile looking at using an electromagnetic lock that you can buzz from the house with a key switch on the gate for keyholders to use.
This user would like to thank MoabMan for this useful post:
  #50  
Old 23.11.2008, 00:29
Tilia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 2,765
Groaned at 81 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 2,649 Times in 1,194 Posts
Tilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trespassing on private property

Well, the thing is that the general accepted principle in
Switzerland is that anything that isn't clearly defined as Private is in fact open to public, regardless of who actually owns it. You are e.g. allowed to walk in the mountains, crossing farms, farmlands, etc. Also in the cities there are a lot of paths, court-yards and parks that are indeed private but people are still not kept out of there. This is even more evident in the smaller cities and villages. In most other countries it is the reversed, you assume that you are only allowed to be in spaces posted as "open to the public"

The Swiss are a lot of things but curious and disrespectful really aren't part of it in my experience. Thus, I truly believe that a large part of your unwanted visitors really aren't doing it out of disrespectfullnes but rather out of ignorance.

I am sure that your problem will more or less disappear as soon as you put up the "Private" sign.

Quote:
View Post
I think that people are just curious and not respectful of other's properties.
This user would like to thank Tilia for this useful post:
  #51  
Old 23.11.2008, 00:31
Mrs. Doolittle's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Tessin
Posts: 6,136
Groaned at 122 Times in 89 Posts
Thanked 7,236 Times in 3,409 Posts
Mrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trespassing on private property

Quote:
View Post
Here's a picture of the garage that is just left of the gate. Parks don't come with garages. And as I said, before we had the garage door, people were coming right inside the garage.

The gate is not open, it is just unlocked but closed. And again, the garden is small, not like a park at all and we have other houses on both sides.

Attachment 5637
Looks like a mansion to me, very lovely.

I think the situation calls for drastic measures. Perhaps you need to try this. I am sure no one will come near your gate with one of these.
Attached Thumbnails
trespassing-private-property-elektrozaun.jpg  
This user would like to thank Mrs. Doolittle for this useful post:
  #52  
Old 23.11.2008, 00:36
MoabMan's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Powys, Wales
Posts: 199
Groaned at 16 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 147 Times in 37 Posts
MoabMan has a reputation beyond reputeMoabMan has a reputation beyond reputeMoabMan has a reputation beyond reputeMoabMan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trespassing on private property

Quote:
View Post
The Swiss are a lot of things but curious and disrespectful really aren't part of it in my experience. Thus, I truly believe that a large part of your unwanted visitors really aren't doing it out of disrespectfullnes but rather out of ignorance.
So it's just normal acceptable behaviour to go snooping around someone else's garage, or peering through their ground floor windows if there is no sign?
  #53  
Old 23.11.2008, 00:41
Mrs. Doolittle's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Tessin
Posts: 6,136
Groaned at 122 Times in 89 Posts
Thanked 7,236 Times in 3,409 Posts
Mrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trespassing on private property

Quote:
View Post
So it's just normal acceptable behaviour to go snooping around someone else's garage, or peering through their ground floor windows if there is no sign?
No, that is not what I would call the norm, unless the house is vacant and for rent or sale. Then you might observe someone snooping.
This user would like to thank Mrs. Doolittle for this useful post:
  #54  
Old 23.11.2008, 00:45
Tilia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 2,765
Groaned at 81 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 2,649 Times in 1,194 Posts
Tilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trespassing on private property

A lot more than in most countries, yes. Of course there are limits even in Switzerland but in general I would say they have less sense of privacy than most other countries. If you have read the threads about the staring in Switzerland you would see that these are the two sides of the same coin.

As I said, it becomes even more obvious when you get out into the country side. Having a pathway through someones back yard really isn't that uncommon.


Quote:
View Post
So it's just normal acceptable behaviour to go snooping around someone else's garage, or peering through their ground floor windows if there is no sign?
  #55  
Old 23.11.2008, 00:57
MoabMan's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Powys, Wales
Posts: 199
Groaned at 16 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 147 Times in 37 Posts
MoabMan has a reputation beyond reputeMoabMan has a reputation beyond reputeMoabMan has a reputation beyond reputeMoabMan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trespassing on private property

If I open our ground floor shutters I am certain that on a Sunday we would have an almost continuous stream of gazers peering through our cellar windows. Before we kept the shutters closed, it happened so frequently it was as if people saw someone else looking through our windows they just had to go and look for themselves.

Last week I had nine items in my shopping basket and I was waiting inline at the eight item checkout at Migros. The woman behind me counted the number of items in my basket and made it her business to correct me for my wrong doing. Curious, or just plain nosy in my opinion is a common Swiss character trait.
This user would like to thank MoabMan for this useful post:
  #56  
Old 23.11.2008, 01:05
MoabMan's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Powys, Wales
Posts: 199
Groaned at 16 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 147 Times in 37 Posts
MoabMan has a reputation beyond reputeMoabMan has a reputation beyond reputeMoabMan has a reputation beyond reputeMoabMan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trespassing on private property

Quote:
View Post
As I said, it becomes even more obvious when you get out into the country side. Having a pathway through someones back yard really isn't that uncommon.
We live in the countryside and I appreciate that paths like you describe do exist, which is why I don't get upset by all the people walking through my garden and climbing over my locked gate anymore. However, I have yet to find for myself a gated public path through someone else's back yard.
  #57  
Old 23.11.2008, 01:14
Mrs. Doolittle's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Tessin
Posts: 6,136
Groaned at 122 Times in 89 Posts
Thanked 7,236 Times in 3,409 Posts
Mrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond reputeMrs. Doolittle has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Trespassing on private property

Quote:
View Post
If I open our ground floor shutters I am certain that on a Sunday we would have an almost continuous stream of gazers peering through our cellar windows. Before we kept the shutters closed, it happened so frequently it was as if people saw someone else looking through our windows they just had to go and look for themselves.

Last week I had nine items in my shopping basket and I was waiting inline at the eight item checkout at Migros. The woman behind me counted the number of items in my basket and made it her business to correct me for my wrong doing. Curious, or just plain nosy in my opinion is a common Swiss character trait.
Funny you should mention the shopping basket as the other day the person in front of me at the Express check out was attempting to defend her actions (she had more than the allowed number of items) on the basis that she had more than one of the same item and as the cashier can press a key to indicate the quantity of each item she felt she was within her rights. The fact is, though I was standing behind her I had not said a word, though she felt compelled to explain herself. I replied that I just assumed she could not count. She was mortified. The cashier just rolled her eyes. She must have heard this before. I don't think I looked very interested but perhaps it is assumed here that everyone is nosey.
__________________

This user would like to thank Mrs. Doolittle for this useful post:
  #58  
Old 23.11.2008, 01:25
InShan's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Zug
Posts: 469
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 476 Times in 194 Posts
InShan has an excellent reputationInShan has an excellent reputationInShan has an excellent reputationInShan has an excellent reputation
Re: Trespassing on private property

Nudism. Get extremely old exhibitionistic relos to visit. Buy blindfolds for yourself first.

It'll stop. Or... you might get an entirely different variety of trespasser.
This user would like to thank InShan for this useful post:
  #59  
Old 23.11.2008, 08:31
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Trespassing on private property

Quote:
View Post
If I open our ground floor shutters I am certain that on a Sunday we would have an almost continuous stream of gazers peering through our cellar windows. Before we kept the shutters closed, it happened so frequently it was as if people saw someone else looking through our windows they just had to go and look for themselves.

Last week I had nine items in my shopping basket and I was waiting inline at the eight item checkout at Migros. The woman behind me counted the number of items in my basket and made it her business to correct me for my wrong doing. Curious, or just plain nosy in my opinion is a common Swiss character trait.
Nope, just blimmin' infuriating for those of us in a hurry using the express checkout...
  #60  
Old 23.11.2008, 09:05
HollidayG's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kanton Zürich
Posts: 3,038
Groaned at 50 Times in 35 Posts
Thanked 1,179 Times in 737 Posts
HollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputationHollidayG has an excellent reputation
Re: Trespassing on private property

Quote:
View Post
Usually only the back yard is fenced in most neighborhoods.

That is correct at least where I come from...
Closed Thread

Tags
private property, staring, trespassing




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kanton workers trespassing and damaging garden Jekyll Daily life 6 15.08.2008 14:01
Children and accidents on private property - who is responsible? FriendlyKiwi Family matters/health 23 24.05.2008 11:44
Property developements. branston Business & entrepreneur 15 13.12.2007 17:23


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 00:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0