Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 15.07.2019, 12:42
Samaire13's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CH
Posts: 4,064
Groaned at 98 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 6,574 Times in 2,509 Posts
Samaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switzerland compared to Australia

Quote:
View Post
And Australia has a sense of freedom which Switzerland and Europe in general lack
Freedom? Australia is a nanny state. Can't do this, can't do that, one person died from this so now it's forbidden for everyone, lock down this, lock down that, ban this, ban that. Not being able to mow your lawn on a Sunday in Switzerland pales in comparison.

Quote:
Well in Australia you can get in your car ( if you have one ) and just blast off into nowhere. No borders,no controls.
That's because it's one huge country. Of course there's no borders. Vs Switzerland being small and literally surrounded by other countries, of course you encounter some form of border here fairly quickly (though I'd be hard pressed to recall the last time there was actually any control at any border and I cross them all the time).

Last edited by Samaire13; 15.07.2019 at 13:05.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Samaire13 for this useful post:
  #62  
Old 15.07.2019, 12:44
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Timbuktoo/Zürich
Posts: 8,858
Groaned at 1,683 Times in 913 Posts
Thanked 3,907 Times in 2,493 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Switzerland compared to Australia

Quote:
View Post
Nope. Australia is a complete nanny state. Can't do this, can't do that, one person died from this so now it's forbidden for everyone, lock down this, lock down that, ban this, ban that. Not being able to mow your lawn on a Sunday in Switzerland pales in comparison.
I've been away since 1981 so things have changed ALOT
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 15.07.2019, 12:52
Samaire13's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CH
Posts: 4,064
Groaned at 98 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 6,574 Times in 2,509 Posts
Samaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switzerland compared to Australia

Quote:
View Post
I've been away since 1981 so things have changed ALOT
Jep clearly in the last 38 years, things have changed. Read up on some of it. It's become ridiculous. Everything is forbidden and often/usually indeed enforced.

And despite that, it's one of the worst countries when it comes to recreational drug use and heavy drinking.

Maybe at some point there was a "relaxed" or laid-back mentality in Australia. I didn't see much of it when I lived there for a few months. Unless you count drinking yourself into a stupor "relaxed", though admittedly, at least that was less extreme as soon as you left the Sydney/Brisbane area.

(and yes, this is in part anecdotal, and no, it doesn't necessarily take away from some of the natural beauty in Australia)
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 15.07.2019, 12:55
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Timbuktoo/Zürich
Posts: 8,858
Groaned at 1,683 Times in 913 Posts
Thanked 3,907 Times in 2,493 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Switzerland compared to Australia

Quote:
View Post
Jep clearly in the last 38 years, things have changed. Read up on some of it. It's become ridiculous. Everything is forbidden and often/usually indeed enforced.

And despite that, it's one of the worst countries when it comes to recreational drug use and heavy drinking.

Maybe at some point there was a "relaxed" mentality in Australia. I didn't see much of it when I lived there for a few months. Unless you count drinking yourself into a stupor "relaxed", though admittedly, it was less extreme as soon as you left the Sydney/Brisbane area.
Well it always was a bit of a police state.( From personal experience.)
Maybe the " no worries mate " philosophy is long dead!
There was was something positive said back in the old days comparing USA and Australia. They said in the USA if you are down on your lack they will give you a kick in the head. In Australia they will give you a hand and help you up.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank omtatsat for this useful post:
  #65  
Old 15.07.2019, 12:57
Samaire13's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CH
Posts: 4,064
Groaned at 98 Times in 81 Posts
Thanked 6,574 Times in 2,509 Posts
Samaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond reputeSamaire13 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switzerland compared to Australia

Quote:
View Post
Well it always was a bit of a police state.( From personal experience.)
Well if it was like that 40 years ago, you can imagine how it is now. But for me, "police state" and "having a lot of freedom" are mutually exclusive.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 15.07.2019, 13:38
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Timbuktoo/Zürich
Posts: 8,858
Groaned at 1,683 Times in 913 Posts
Thanked 3,907 Times in 2,493 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Switzerland compared to Australia

Quote:
View Post
Well if it was like that 40 years ago, you can imagine how it is now. But for me, "police state" and "having a lot of freedom" are mutually exclusive.
Freedom is maybe the physical space but also for me its the " she'll be right mate " attitude. And that won't ever be taken away.Police state or not!

But as an Australian you learn to deal with that. Rather strange for a non Australian

Last edited by omtatsat; 15.07.2019 at 13:48.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 15.07.2019, 13:48
parkadam's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 383
Groaned at 17 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 288 Times in 126 Posts
parkadam has a reputation beyond reputeparkadam has a reputation beyond reputeparkadam has a reputation beyond reputeparkadam has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switzerland compared to Australia

Quote:
View Post
Well if you live in the middle of the outback then cleaning makes no sense. With the next dust storm your work is for nothing. But generally Aussies live on a more basic, less superficial level. One can see that in their clothing as well. For example compare Zurich fashion and Melbourne.


Ha ha ha i hear you. Well, i think they're a bit hipster at least my in-laws are Total hipsters yet they try to deny it with some for of supeficiality ...in the US we say "my Sh*t don't stink" .... but totally down to earth at the same time. Again balance..i like it. Hmm..Australia is resonating with me now... bring on the Tucker and I'm OK to chunder!
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 15.07.2019, 15:47
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: On the move
Posts: 180
Groaned at 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 109 Times in 59 Posts
MotorsportsNorton is considered knowledgeableMotorsportsNorton is considered knowledgeableMotorsportsNorton is considered knowledgeable
Re: Switzerland compared to Australia

Having lived in Australia for the past 4 years it seems to us that it is probably one of the easiest countries to live in, we lived in Switzerland for 10 years and got totally fed up with the petty officialdom and laws for everything, we got to realise that the locals ignored most of the rules, but if a non local did something they didn't agree with they would find an obscure law to stop them. The can do attitude here and lack of mountains of paperwork is a breath of fresh air.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 15.07.2019, 17:22
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Glattal
Posts: 25
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 33 Times in 12 Posts
Privet is considered knowledgeablePrivet is considered knowledgeablePrivet is considered knowledgeable
Re: Switzerland compared to Australia

Quote:
View Post
Having lived in Australia for the past 4 years it seems to us that it is probably one of the easiest countries to live in, we lived in Switzerland for 10 years and got totally fed up with the petty officialdom and laws for everything, we got to realise that the locals ignored most of the rules, but if a non local did something they didn't agree with they would find an obscure law to stop them. The can do attitude here and lack of mountains of paperwork is a breath of fresh air.
Well, the locals don't really ignore the rule, they interpret them flexible
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 16.07.2019, 12:07
xandeo's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Top right corner
Posts: 329
Groaned at 27 Times in 19 Posts
Thanked 457 Times in 167 Posts
xandeo has an excellent reputationxandeo has an excellent reputationxandeo has an excellent reputationxandeo has an excellent reputation
Re: Switzerland compared to Australia

Two Scandinavian friends of mine did exchange studies in Australia, one in Sydney and the other one in Melbourne (both in the past 10 years).

The first guy disliked Australia (Melbourne) so much he left earlier than planned, taking a small financial hit on changing the plane ticket and paying rent as previously anticipated (large hit for a student's budget...).

The second guy stayed the full stay but couldnt' wait for it to end to come back home - and first words were "there's no place like Europe".

Both found Australia to be a complete police state and the aussies to be friendly but somehow rather simple... fair enough, both friends are rather "academically oriented", so I guess they set the bar rather high. (note, not my opinion, just quoting)

For me, I just couldn't imagine living in a place where there was no culture or "history" 300 years ago, and where any trip abroad (excluding NZ) would mean a 12-hour flight at a minimum. Switzerland has it all, either within its borders or just a few hours away by plane, train and car.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 16.07.2019, 18:47
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Timbuktoo/Zürich
Posts: 8,858
Groaned at 1,683 Times in 913 Posts
Thanked 3,907 Times in 2,493 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Switzerland compared to Australia

Quote:
View Post
Two Scandinavian friends of mine did exchange studies in Australia, one in Sydney and the other one in Melbourne (both in the past 10 years).

The first guy disliked Australia (Melbourne) so much he left earlier than planned, taking a small financial hit on changing the plane ticket and paying rent as previously anticipated (large hit for a student's budget...).

The second guy stayed the full stay but couldnt' wait for it to end to come back home - and first words were "there's no place like Europe".

Both found Australia to be a complete police state and the aussies to be friendly but somehow rather simple... fair enough, both friends are rather "academically oriented", so I guess they set the bar rather high. (note, not my opinion, just quoting)

For me, I just couldn't imagine living in a place where there was no culture or "history" 300 years ago, and where any trip abroad (excluding NZ) would mean a 12-hour flight at a minimum. Switzerland has it all, either within its borders or just a few hours away by plane, train and car.
No culture 300 years ago! You ever heard of the original culture of the aborigines
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank omtatsat for this useful post:
  #72  
Old 16.07.2019, 19:21
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Timbuktoo/Zürich
Posts: 8,858
Groaned at 1,683 Times in 913 Posts
Thanked 3,907 Times in 2,493 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: Switzerland compared to Australia

Quote:
View Post
Two Scandinavian friends of mine did exchange studies in Australia, one in Sydney and the other one in Melbourne (both in the past 10 years).

The first guy disliked Australia (Melbourne) so much he left earlier than planned, taking a small financial hit on changing the plane ticket and paying rent as previously anticipated (large hit for a student's budget...).

The second guy stayed the full stay but couldnt' wait for it to end to come back home - and first words were "there's no place like Europe".

Both found Australia to be a complete police state and the aussies to be friendly but somehow rather simple... fair enough, both friends are rather "academically oriented", so I guess they set the bar rather high. (note, not my opinion, just quoting)

And you can even install the App " My Police State". Its really good!

For me, I just couldn't imagine living in a place where there was no culture or "history" 300 years ago, and where any trip abroad (excluding NZ) would mean a 12-hour flight at a minimum. Switzerland has it all, either within its borders or just a few hours away by plane, train and car.
And you can even install the App " My Police State". Its really good!


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlUQMH19BkQ
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 17.07.2019, 00:41
VFR on top's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Used to be Basel.
Posts: 979
Groaned at 29 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 2,139 Times in 804 Posts
VFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond reputeVFR on top has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Switzerland compared to Australia

My son is doing a year of uni in Melbourne (he just flew down a few days ago). I'll ask him in 3 months what he thinks. (hipster wanna-be perspective)
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Telephoning Switzerland from Australia omtatsat TV/internet/telephone 13 10.11.2018 14:08
Australia vs Switzerland swissmissinzurich Daily life 141 28.02.2012 18:08
New to Switzerland - from Australia Haly2003 Introductions 11 15.11.2007 15:12
Moving to Switzerland from Australia and looking for IT/IS work AnAustralian Employment 5 11.04.2007 00:49
Moving from Australia to Switzerland, Cost of living, etc gideonal Other/general 4 05.01.2007 11:12


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0