Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 13.03.2009, 12:04
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Rash of Insanity

Ever since Tuesday, not a day has gone by when I haven't seen someone talking to themselves. There was one guy singing at a train station as if he was in a concert. He was even interacting with an imaginary audience. Another guy was having an animated conversation with an invisible friend. I've also heard of a number of train track suicides within the same period.

Has enough else noticed an uptick in strange behavior out in the streets?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 13.03.2009, 12:07
NotAllThere's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 12,790
Groaned at 204 Times in 181 Posts
Thanked 18,500 Times in 7,550 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rash of Insanity

For ironic reasons, it's almost impossible to reply to your post...

I've not really noticed any change. There are people who are talking to themselves on the streets quite frequently - usually in suits, with bluetooth/cybermen ear pieces.

I've have to talk to myself sometimes. It's often the only way of having an intelligent, witty, urbane conversation.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 13.03.2009, 12:09
BeastOfBodmin's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 871
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 352 Times in 230 Posts
BeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond reputeBeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond reputeBeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond reputeBeastOfBodmin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rash of Insanity

Quote:
View Post
Ever since Tuesday, not a day has gone by when I haven't seen someone talking to themselves. There was one guy singing at a train station as if he was in a concert. He was even interacting with an imaginary audience. Another guy was having an animated conversation with an invisible friend. I've also heard of a number of train track suicides within the same period.

Has enough else noticed an uptick in strange behavior out in the streets?
Full Moon was March 11th.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank BeastOfBodmin for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 13.03.2009, 12:11
Gwendy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Baden AG
Posts: 552
Groaned at 13 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 311 Times in 181 Posts
Gwendy has a reputation beyond reputeGwendy has a reputation beyond reputeGwendy has a reputation beyond reputeGwendy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rash of Insanity

Well, talking to oneself is one way of self psychoanalysis. It has helped me, although I try not to laugh too much in public, especially when I am on my own... don't knock it. My mother once said "there are places for people who talk to themselves" Not so, I completely disagree. If nothing else, it's amusing, so you smile. never a wasted day then eh?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Gwendy for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 13.03.2009, 12:11
Salsa_Lover
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Rash of Insanity

It's a normal thing here...

I'm going craaaaazy! ♪ craaaazy !♪
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 13.03.2009, 12:11
Louis Wu's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: varied, now Nouvelle Normandie
Posts: 1,027
Groaned at 24 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 907 Times in 455 Posts
Louis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rash of Insanity

Full Moon and Föhn (ish) type weather = additional "nutty flavoured" behaviour
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Louis Wu for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 13.03.2009, 12:13
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Rash of Insanity

Quote:
View Post
I've have to talk to myself sometimes. It's often the only way of having an intelligent, witty, urbane conversation.
I think I know what you are talking. That may be normal behavior for urban raised city folks when moving to Switzerland.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 13.03.2009, 12:15
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Rash of Insanity

Quote:
View Post
Well, talking to oneself is one way of self psychoanalysis. It has helped me, although I try not to laugh too much in public, especially when I am on my own... don't knock it.
Were you by chance at the Oerlikon trainstation yesterday?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 13.03.2009, 12:19
Brightonite's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Outta here!
Posts: 620
Groaned at 53 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 567 Times in 297 Posts
Brightonite has a reputation beyond reputeBrightonite has a reputation beyond reputeBrightonite has a reputation beyond reputeBrightonite has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rash of Insanity

Loved the title of this thread! I once had a rash, that nearly drove me to insanity. Fortunately it was cleared up with a bit of blue unction
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Brightonite for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 13.03.2009, 12:22
Sutter's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 5,802
Groaned at 68 Times in 48 Posts
Thanked 2,824 Times in 1,605 Posts
Sutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond reputeSutter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rash of Insanity

I sing in my vehical while driving, and was caught singing in the gym the other day while listening to my ipod got some funny looks i hadn`t realised i was singing out load and i can`t sing so maybe i should just
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sutter for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 13.03.2009, 12:25
Gwendy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Baden AG
Posts: 552
Groaned at 13 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 311 Times in 181 Posts
Gwendy has a reputation beyond reputeGwendy has a reputation beyond reputeGwendy has a reputation beyond reputeGwendy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rash of Insanity

Quote:
View Post
Were you by chance at the Oerlikon trainstation yesterday?
No, that wasn't me, but I have always has this urge to go to the Hbf and act as a complete wierdo for about 20 mins and have it filmed... Maybe I would need a couple of drinks before I do it, but I reckon I could. Oh Sutter, singing in the car is the BEST!! I do it all the time..
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 13.03.2009, 12:29
spacelab's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: new york city
Posts: 217
Groaned at 26 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 114 Times in 75 Posts
spacelab has slipped a little
Re: Rash of Insanity

Reply With Quote
The following 6 users would like to thank spacelab for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 13.03.2009, 12:38
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 2,443
Groaned at 172 Times in 120 Posts
Thanked 4,860 Times in 1,878 Posts
Mikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond reputeMikers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rash of Insanity

Quote:
View Post
Ever since Tuesday, not a day has gone by when I haven't seen someone talking to themselves. There was one guy singing at a train station as if he was in a concert. He was even interacting with an imaginary audience. Another guy was having an animated conversation with an invisible friend. I've also heard of a number of train track suicides within the same period.

Has enough else noticed an uptick in strange behavior out in the streets?
Perhaps they are talking to God ?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Mikers for this useful post:
  #14  
Old 13.03.2009, 12:49
Brightonite's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Outta here!
Posts: 620
Groaned at 53 Times in 29 Posts
Thanked 567 Times in 297 Posts
Brightonite has a reputation beyond reputeBrightonite has a reputation beyond reputeBrightonite has a reputation beyond reputeBrightonite has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rash of Insanity

Quote:
View Post
Perhaps they are talking to God ?
You know, that's a funny point. A lot of born again Christians, do say that god spoke to them. As in, they heard a voice in their head and that is considered to be normal? However, anyone else that hears voices in their head, is a nutter.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 13.03.2009, 13:07
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ticino
Posts: 2,914
Groaned at 92 Times in 64 Posts
Thanked 3,741 Times in 1,501 Posts
Snoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond reputeSnoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rash of Insanity

It's endemic in Zurich in particular and it is not a new occurrence. 20 years ago I used to commute from the Uni to the Badenerstrasse by tram. There would always be an older person in front of me chuntering to him/herself and giving a running commentary on the scenery from young punks ("huere Punks") to foreigners ("hueren uusländer") by way of the weather ("huere rege" or "huere schnee")....

Also known as "Selbstgespräch"....
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Snoopy for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 13.03.2009, 13:08
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: OOO
Posts: 3,728
Groaned at 79 Times in 55 Posts
Thanked 1,683 Times in 1,017 Posts
Sada has a reputation beyond reputeSada has a reputation beyond reputeSada has a reputation beyond reputeSada has a reputation beyond reputeSada has a reputation beyond reputeSada has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rash of Insanity

There have always been "nutters" around. I grew up near a mental hospital where my mother worked for many years.
I know so much about it all I find it now rather amusing even though I am quite aware it isn't always easy for them nor for their families and friends nor for the people who cross them in the streets or wherever.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 13.03.2009, 13:30
spacelab's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: new york city
Posts: 217
Groaned at 26 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 114 Times in 75 Posts
spacelab has slipped a little
Re: Rash of Insanity

Quote:
View Post
It's endemic in Zurich in particular and it is not a new occurrence.
uh, have you been to bern? the nutter ratio there is at least 50% higher than in zurich. i have my own personal theory about this which i will spare everyone .. except that it involves a small gene pool.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 13.03.2009, 13:58
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Rash of Insanity

No doubt its common in large metropolitans, but it hasn't been very noticeable here. I thought most of them were in institutions.

In the 80's in the US, we saw a massive surge of nutters and homeless on the streets. It took a while for people to piece together what was happening. It turns out Ronald Reagan had started cutting funds for mental institutions, and some of them had to close. So they would deposit their patients into the streets of the cities where they just wandered around as homeless people. Before that, it was less common to see them.

Perhaps some were prematurely released recently, or maybe they are on a sports week furlough.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 13.03.2009, 13:59
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Rash of Insanity

Quote:
View Post
Perhaps they are talking to God ?
Quote:
View Post
You know, that's a funny point. A lot of born again Christians, do say that god spoke to them. As in, they heard a voice in their head and that is considered to be normal? However, anyone else that hears voices in their head, is a nutter.
Or they could simply be missing a part of their brain.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 13.03.2009, 14:11
Louis Wu's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: varied, now Nouvelle Normandie
Posts: 1,027
Groaned at 24 Times in 21 Posts
Thanked 907 Times in 455 Posts
Louis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond reputeLouis Wu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Rash of Insanity

the same thing happened in the UK during the Reign of Margaret Thatcher, it was known eupemistically as "Care in the Community".


Quote:
View Post
No doubt its common in large metropolitans, but it hasn't been very noticeable here. I thought most of them were in institutions.

In the 80's in the US, we saw a massive surge of nutters and homeless on the streets. It took a while for people to piece together what was happening. It turns out Ronald Reagan had started cutting funds for mental institutions, and some of them had to close. So they would deposit their patients into the streets of the cities where they just wandered around as homeless people. Before that, it was less common to see them.

Perhaps some were prematurely released recently, or maybe they are on a sports week furlough.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Louis Wu for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Healthy Level of Insanity Scott Jokes/funnies 3 21.12.2008 21:50


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:00.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0