Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 26.05.2009, 12:09
Niranjan
 
Posts: n/a
Re: In which of these sloppy ways would you go green in CH?

Quote:
View Post
Re no. 8:

Peeing outside will eventually destroy the plants and trees around, as they found out in Berlin during the World Cup 2006. 100'000 litres daily caused a great deal of irreparable damage to the vegeatation. And guess what, they had to use 6 million litres of water to save what they could.

Not very green - not even sloppily, IMO
That's interesting, but unfortunately I can't read German, and one of the EF guidelines is to avoid posting stuff in German without a translation, to keep us all at par.

I think human urine is poisonous to potted plants and the delicate urban plants. What I had in mind was different. My point was when you are up in the mountains/wilderness it feels nice to reconnect with nature rather than use a toilet, especially if it is a simple pee, and more so if you are male (not a sexist comment, but just on practical considerations).
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 26.05.2009, 12:33
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 13,737
Groaned at 126 Times in 117 Posts
Thanked 25,323 Times in 9,751 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: In which of these sloppy ways would you go green in CH?

Quote:
View Post
Re no. 8:

Peeing outside will eventually destroy the plants and trees around, as they found out in Berlin during the World Cup 2006. 100'000 litres daily caused a great deal of irreparable damage to the vegetation. And guess what, they had to use 6 million litres of water to save what they could.

Not very green - not even sloppily, IMO


Quote:
View Post
That's interesting, but unfortunately I can't read German, and one of the EF guidelines is to avoid posting stuff in German without a translation, to keep us all at par.
Crumbs provided a translated summary which makes the point she was trying to make clear to the non-German speakers. At least that's how I understood it.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Sandgrounder for this useful post:
  #23  
Old 26.05.2009, 13:02
Crumbs's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,840
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 1,282 Times in 688 Posts
Crumbs has a reputation beyond reputeCrumbs has a reputation beyond reputeCrumbs has a reputation beyond reputeCrumbs has a reputation beyond reputeCrumbs has a reputation beyond repute
Re: In which of these sloppy ways would you go green in CH?

Quote:
View Post
That's interesting, but unfortunately I can't read German, and one of the EF guidelines is to avoid posting stuff in German without a translation, to keep us all at par.
Another guideline is to back up your posts with links to "facts". I apologise I didn't spend enough time translating or googling for a suitable article in English
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 26.05.2009, 13:20
Niranjan
 
Posts: n/a
Re: In which of these sloppy ways would you go green in CH?

Quote:
View Post
Crumbs provided a translated summary which makes the point she was trying to make clear to the non-German speakers. At least that's how I understood it.
Ok, point taken. Maybe I was a little slow to understand . But now back to the discussion, what's the verdict: should we or should we not errr... "connect with nature"?
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 26.05.2009, 13:49
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 13,737
Groaned at 126 Times in 117 Posts
Thanked 25,323 Times in 9,751 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: In which of these sloppy ways would you go green in CH?

Quote:
View Post
Ok, point taken. Maybe I was a little slow to understand . But now back to the discussion, what's the verdict: should we or should we not errr... "connect with nature"?
I would say if you are caught short on top of a mountain (not a Swiss one with a cafe at the top) then have a tinkle behind a tree away from where people are likely to stand in it or sit down to have a picnic.

As a scout we were taught when doing backwoods camping that a pit should be dug, also away from where people are likely to be, then filled in when you leave.

I say "taught" but it was never "practiced". We always carted a portaloo with us and some poor sod was tasked with dealing with "the contents" after we left.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 26.05.2009, 14:00
Niranjan
 
Posts: n/a
Re: In which of these sloppy ways would you go green in CH?

Quote:
View Post
I would say if you are caught short on top of a mountain (not a Swiss one with a cafe at the top) then have a tinkle behind a tree away from where people are likely to stand in it or sit down to have a picnic.

As a scout we were taught when doing backwoods camping that a pit should be dug, also away from where people are likely to be, then filled in when you leave.

I say "taught" but it was never "practiced". We always carted a portaloo with us and some poor sod was tasked with dealing with "the contents" after we left.
No, this answer is not in the spirit of this thread. I mean, doing it because that's the only option left (e.g. there not being a toilet there) is one thing, and doing it because it is the "righteous" thing to do is quite another. There's a difference between "can I do it", and "should I do it".

p.s. of course if it is done, it will be done on a robust tree that can handle the stuff, not some little shrub that might get sick
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 26.05.2009, 14:30
swissotter's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: singaporeotter
Posts: 1,822
Groaned at 9 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 2,043 Times in 1,005 Posts
swissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: In which of these sloppy ways would you go green in CH?

3b. take showers with a loved one...(or a bath)
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank swissotter for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
eco friendly, green, treehugger




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[Ways to get] American Television SteveZ TV/internet/telephone 82 17.12.2010 14:39
(Ways to get) Australian TV godi2 TV/internet/telephone 3 13.01.2009 15:32
100 Ways to Juice Up Your TV Polorise TV/internet/telephone 1 05.02.2008 16:56
101 ways to annoy people,,,,, Delphinium Blue Jokes/funnies 7 20.05.2007 18:43


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:54.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0