Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 29.09.2009, 21:50
cinzia_t's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Basel
Posts: 161
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 100 Times in 61 Posts
cinzia_t is considered knowledgeablecinzia_t is considered knowledgeablecinzia_t is considered knowledgeable
How to legally employ a cleaning lady/domestic help

Dear all,

I am a full working mum, struggling with work, child and home duties. So before I turn mad, I decided to hire a cleaning lady. I found a perfect one, however she is not self employed, which means that I had to take care of some of the burocracy with hiring a person. I am totally against black work and find unethical not to give to someone who does the dirty job for you, what he/she is entitled to. Furthermore, it is good to make things in a proper way as employees might be friendly and accommodating and will say to you that they want to work “black” because they do not want to pay taxes and do not care about contributions. But things can change, you might not need his/her support anymore, etc. They might get angry and go to a lawyer and they are not friendly anymore. This really hurts!
I tried to find this kind of info in EF or over the internet but, even if there are things concerning this argument that are well clarified, I found nothing that explains how to proceed to sort things out from the beginning! So I went through a long “learning” process and would like to share this with you.
1. Get an ACCIDENT INSURANCE. In case you hire a person for up to 8 hours a week you just have to provide a WORK ACCIDENT INSURANCE. Most companies have cheap and simple packages that cover that for your household (I could get one for 100 CHF a year). In case you hire someone for more time, then you should provide a complete accident insurance. You can find a list of approved insurance companies here: www.bag.admin.ch/themen/versicherung/00321/index.html?lang=it.

2. REGISTER WITH THE LOCAL AUSGLEICHKASSE. Find that of your canton in the list here: www.avs-ai.info,. Most of the information and the application forms are available over the internet, however if you do not understand and need clarification just give them a call: in Basel they were very friendly. In order to register you need the details of the person you are hiring, including AHV number. In case he/she does not have it yet, it can be requested using the appropriate application form. Include the insurance certificate to your application.

3. BE PREPARED TO PAY CONTRIBUTION. A part is paid by you and one by the employee. Make sure that you deduct the employee part from his/her salary accordingly. If you agreed on a net salary, adjust it accordingly. Whilst the contribution for AHV and Unemployment insurance is fixed (5.05% and 1% per part), some canton will require the employer to provide contributions against Family allowance (e.g. 1.85% in BS) and Administrative costs (3% of the AHV contribution, not the salary!). Just to provide you an example if the net salary is 25 CHF you have to consider a gross salary of 26.60 CHF and then deduct 1.35 CHF for the AHV contribution part and 0.25 CHF for the unemployment contribution part. The total paid by the employee is 1.60 CHF (so that when you deduct you will have a net salary of CHF 25.00. Regarding the employer side, you will have to pay CHF 1.60/hour as your employee + Family allowance contribution + Handling cost contribution. This sums up in Canton BS to a total of 2.20 CHF for the employer.

4. PREPARE A WORKING CONTRACT. You can find several examples over the internet. However I found this one the best: http://www.topcombi.ch/_topcombi/_pdf/Arbeitsvertrag.pdf. Make sure that you state the Vacation contribution (8.33%) in the hourly rate. So if the hourly rate is 25.00 CHF net, and 26.60 CHF gross, write in the contract that you are paying 24.56 CHF of salary and 2.04 CHF of vacation contribution. In this way, everything will be included in the salary and you will not have to pay vacation periods. In case you are going to pay his/her vacation period, you will have to provide 4 weeks paid a year. State in the contract its length. what are his/her duties, the working hours, etc.

5. PAY CONTRIBUTION: Once a year you will send to the Ausgleichkasse a list of all the payments you did to your employee, and they will send to you a payment slip! Just (so to say!!!) pay it and everything is in order! You will be in order with local and national authorities and your employee will be insured and will have a pension for the old age!

As I said this is how I learned it works. I will keep you posted in case I missed or misunderstood something.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank cinzia_t for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 29.09.2009, 21:53
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Near Luzern
Posts: 1,795
Groaned at 132 Times in 79 Posts
Thanked 2,456 Times in 1,064 Posts
Patxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond reputePatxi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to legally employ a cleaning lady

Thanks for that. However, I do miss the good old days of being able to hire a ski bum or college student for a few hours of work a week and not having to worry about this crap.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 29.09.2009, 22:03
Goldtop's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,847
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 905 Times in 625 Posts
Goldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to legally employ a cleaning lady

Quote:
View Post
Dear all,

I am a full working mum, struggling with work, child and home duties. So before I turn mad, I decided to hire a cleaning lady. I found a perfect one, however she is not self employed, which means that I had to take care of some of the burocracy with hiring a person. I am totally against black work and find unethical not to give to someone who does the dirty job for you, what he/she is entitled to. Furthermore, it is good to make things in a proper way as employees might be friendly and accommodating and will say to you that they want to work “black” because they do not want to pay taxes and do not care about contributions. But things can change, you might not need his/her support anymore, etc. They might get angry and go to a lawyer and they are not friendly anymore. This really hurts!
I tried to find this kind of info in EF or over the internet but, even if there are things concerning this argument that are well clarified, I found nothing that explains how to proceed to sort things out from the beginning! So I went through a long “learning” process and would like to share this with you.
1. Get an ACCIDENT INSURANCE. In case you hire a person for up to 8 hours a week you just have to provide a WORK ACCIDENT INSURANCE. Most companies have cheap and simple packages that cover that for your household (I could get one for 100 CHF a year). In case you hire someone for more time, then you should provide a complete accident insurance. You can find a list of approved insurance companies here: www.bag.admin.ch/themen/versicherung/00321/index.html?lang=it.

2. REGISTER WITH THE LOCAL AUSGLEICHKASSE. Find that of your canton in the list here: www.avs-ai.info,. Most of the information and the application forms are available over the internet, however if you do not understand and need clarification just give them a call: in Basel they were very friendly. In order to register you need the details of the person you are hiring, including AHV number. In case he/she does not have it yet, it can be requested using the appropriate application form. Include the insurance certificate to your application.

3. BE PREPARED TO PAY CONTRIBUTION. A part is paid by you and one by the employee. Make sure that you deduct the employee part from his/her salary accordingly. If you agreed on a net salary, adjust it accordingly. Whilst the contribution for AHV and Unemployment insurance is fixed (5.05% and 1% per part), some canton will require the employer to provide contributions against Family allowance (e.g. 1.85% in BS) and Administrative costs (3% of the AHV contribution, not the salary!). Just to provide you an example if the net salary is 25 CHF you have to consider a gross salary of 26.60 CHF and then deduct 1.35 CHF for the AHV contribution part and 0.25 CHF for the unemployment contribution part. The total paid by the employee is 1.60 CHF (so that when you deduct you will have a net salary of CHF 25.00. Regarding the employer side, you will have to pay CHF 1.60/hour as your employee + Family allowance contribution + Handling cost contribution. This sums up in Canton BS to a total of 2.20 CHF for the employer.

4. PREPARE A WORKING CONTRACT. You can find several examples over the internet. However I found this one the best: http://www.topcombi.ch/_topcombi/_pdf/Arbeitsvertrag.pdf. Make sure that you state the Vacation contribution (8.33%) in the hourly rate. So if the hourly rate is 25.00 CHF net, and 26.60 CHF gross, write in the contract that you are paying 24.56 CHF of salary and 2.04 CHF of vacation contribution. In this way, everything will be included in the salary and you will not have to pay vacation periods. In case you are going to pay his/her vacation period, you will have to provide 4 weeks paid a year. State in the contract its length. what are his/her duties, the working hours, etc.

5. PAY CONTRIBUTION: Once a year you will send to the Ausgleichkasse a list of all the payments you did to your employee, and they will send to you a payment slip! Just (so to say!!!) pay it and everything is in order! You will be in order with local and national authorities and your employee will be insured and will have a pension for the old age!

As I said this is how I learned it works. I will keep you posted in case I missed or misunderstood something.
Excellent instructions!

You might want to include:
  • 2.27% "FeiertagsEntschädigung" (that is for public holidays), plus the mentioned
  • 8.83% "FerienEntschädigung" (in lieu of vacations)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 29.09.2009, 22:14
Crumbs's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1,840
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 1,282 Times in 688 Posts
Crumbs has a reputation beyond reputeCrumbs has a reputation beyond reputeCrumbs has a reputation beyond reputeCrumbs has a reputation beyond reputeCrumbs has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to legally employ a cleaning lady

This is also a good site for information (www.keine-schwarzarbeit.ch).

Unfortunately, it's only in G/F/I - but perhaps if you mail them you can get info in English. And, I assume, the more people who request info in English, the sooner they'll put up an English translation... who knows.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 29.09.2009, 22:27
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How to legally employ a cleaning lady

Just to reiterate on the original post, with Topcombi ( only written in German and French at this stage, if you telephone, English is of course available), you will get all the help, information and support you need, to engage an employee, of any kind, for any length of time.

They are excellent, they truly know thier stuff and are extremely friendly and relaxed with it.
They take the big stress out of all the beurocratic shite, which is necessary for both sides (even those that don't think they need/want to go that way).

All sides are protected and for the employer, it makes it so much easier, as they will deal with all the paperwork, apart from the initial contact and details of course.

The only thing I find a little odd is, they send the end of the taxation year statement, to the employer, not the employee, which is not a big deal in itself and probably has a reason ( I just don't see it yet), you have only to forward it to the employee.

They truly do a good job.

Last edited by Rampion; 30.09.2009 at 17:11. Reason: Changed, as I re-read the orinal post and Topcombie was already there, how embarassing!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05.02.2012, 13:27
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Zug
Posts: 20
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 11 Times in 5 Posts
benedine has made some interesting contributions
Re: How to legally employ a cleaning lady

Thanks - this is all really good info. If i find anything has changed since original post I will post new info. Hopefully getting a contract for my childminder sorted out this week. Seems a bit daunting to be honest but hopefully it won't be too bad.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05.02.2012, 13:50
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: At home
Posts: 4,167
Groaned at 208 Times in 133 Posts
Thanked 6,403 Times in 2,719 Posts
Faltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to legally employ a cleaning lady

Legal cleaning help can be hired through an agency. The person works for them, not for you, so that you aren't employer, you are just the client of the service offered. It saves the administration part. It is always the same cleaning person who comes.
I chose this solution, it costs me CHF 36 an hour.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05.02.2012, 14:31
Rangatiranui's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Baden region
Posts: 2,172
Groaned at 14 Times in 13 Posts
Thanked 2,454 Times in 1,080 Posts
Rangatiranui has a reputation beyond reputeRangatiranui has a reputation beyond reputeRangatiranui has a reputation beyond reputeRangatiranui has a reputation beyond reputeRangatiranui has a reputation beyond reputeRangatiranui has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to legally employ a cleaning lady

Quote:
View Post
I chose this solution, it costs me CHF 36 an hour.


(if that is all i have to say, why do i have to say more, and waste everyones time?)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05.02.2012, 14:03
Dantesheaven's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Vaud
Posts: 264
Groaned at 9 Times in 6 Posts
Thanked 329 Times in 134 Posts
Dantesheaven has a reputation beyond reputeDantesheaven has a reputation beyond reputeDantesheaven has a reputation beyond reputeDantesheaven has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to legally employ a cleaning lady

Quote:
View Post
Excellent instructions!
Indeed, excellent....

My reaction to this is "OMG!!!" especially as I was about to look for one. All of that administrative overhead in order to pay someone a few hundred CHFies a month to wash floors and iron shirts...no way. Perhaps I'm overdoing it a bit but it seems I would spend as nearly as much time administering as if I would keep doing the work myself

Is there a way in CH to legally write the contract so that this person is self-employeed and is responsible for all taxes and governmental filings, or would that only work if they have registered themselves as a business?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05.02.2012, 14:23
Sbrinz's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murten - Morat
Posts: 11,866
Groaned at 563 Times in 354 Posts
Thanked 11,548 Times in 5,941 Posts
Sbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond reputeSbrinz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to legally employ a cleaning lady

Quote:
View Post
Indeed, excellent....

My reaction to this is "OMG!!!" especially as I was about to look for one. All of that administrative overhead in order to pay someone a few hundred CHFies a month to wash floors and iron shirts...no way. Perhaps I'm overdoing it a bit but it seems I would spend as nearly as much time administering as if I would keep doing the work myself

Is there a way in CH to legally write the contract so that this person is self-employeed and is responsible for all taxes and governmental filings, or would that only work if they have registered themselves as a business?
Quote:
View Post
Legal cleaning help can be hired through an agency. The person works for them, not for you, so that you aren't employer, you are just the client of the service offered. It saves the administration part. It is always the same cleaning person who comes.
I chose this solution, it costs me CHF 36 an hour.
There you go! Hire someone from a Swiss agency.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sbrinz for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 05.02.2012, 16:10
Mica's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 910
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 1,167 Times in 517 Posts
Mica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to legally employ a cleaning lady

Quote:
View Post
Is there a way in CH to legally write the contract so that this person is self-employed and is responsible for all taxes and governmental filings, or would that only work if they have registered themselves as a business?
Nope! They would actually have to be self-employed.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05.02.2012, 16:21
cinzia_t's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Basel
Posts: 161
Groaned at 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 100 Times in 61 Posts
cinzia_t is considered knowledgeablecinzia_t is considered knowledgeablecinzia_t is considered knowledgeable
Re: How to legally employ a cleaning lady

Regarding taxes, in Basel Stadt there is no need for a home employer to care of Quellensteuer. The cleaner should take care him-herself I suppose. I have heard that this does not apply in other cantons though!
I also have to add to the original thread that in 2011 the contribution for AHV and unemployment has risen of 0.2% each, that shall be taken into account as well.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank cinzia_t for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 14.02.2012, 14:40
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 24
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Simon4 has earned some respectSimon4 has earned some respect
Re: How to legally employ a cleaning lady

Quote:
View Post
Regarding taxes, in Basel Stadt there is no need for a home employer to care of Quellensteuer. The cleaner should take care him-herself I suppose. I have heard that this does not apply in other cantons though!
I also have to add to the original thread that in 2011 the contribution for AHV and unemployment has risen of 0.2% each, that shall be taken into account as well.
This information is not exactly accurate about the Quellensteuer.
Only if the employee is a Swiss citizen or has a C permit, then no source tax has to be paid (there are a few exceptions where B permit also does not require Quellensteuer).
Another exception is if your employee lives accross the border in France, then indeed you don't have to pay Quellensteuer for him/her, because Basel-Stadt has an agreement with France that in this case, the employee has to pay taxes in France.
In all other cases, a home employer still has to take care of the Quellensteuer.
Similar rules for workers that live in France apply to other cantons like AG, BL, BE, JU, NE, SO, VD, VS.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02.12.2017, 19:59
galste's Avatar
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Zurich
Posts: 5
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
galste has no particular reputation at present
Re: How to legally employ a cleaning lady

I recently switched to batmaid.ch. They charge a bit more to have someone clean your home legally - paying for unemployment and accident insurance. The website is super easy and the times are flexible.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 29.12.2017, 08:27
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,975
Groaned at 2,037 Times in 1,121 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: How to legally employ a cleaning lady

What a joke. They still use the word " putzfrauen ". That says enough!
Quote:
View Post
I recently switched to batmaid.ch. They charge a bit more to have someone clean your home legally - paying for unemployment and accident insurance. The website is super easy and the times are flexible.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 29.12.2017, 09:46
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How to legally employ a cleaning lady/domestic help

What is it that makes you so often respond to such old stuff?

(And are you an envious wannabe putzman?)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 29.12.2017, 16:12
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: CH
Posts: 10,975
Groaned at 2,037 Times in 1,121 Posts
Thanked 5,139 Times in 3,246 Posts
omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat omtatsat
Re: How to legally employ a cleaning lady/domestic help

What old stuff? You got nothing else to do but complain?
Quote:
What is it that makes you so often respond to such old stuff?

(And are you an envious wannabe putzman?)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05.02.2012, 14:45
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vaud
Posts: 1,453
Groaned at 113 Times in 73 Posts
Thanked 1,574 Times in 894 Posts
yacek has a reputation beyond reputeyacek has a reputation beyond reputeyacek has a reputation beyond reputeyacek has a reputation beyond reputeyacek has a reputation beyond repute
Cinzia_t, how about taxes? You haven't mentioned them. I wonder if/what amount it is.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 19.11.2016, 10:15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Close to Baden
Posts: 5
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
easytime has no particular reputation at present
Re: How to legally employ a cleaning lady

There is also an other very often unknown option:


Ask a local Headhunter and tell them that you'd like to employ Mrs / Mr XYZ for whatever Job. The Headhunter Office will then do the complete payroll covering all legal issues and charge you for the person you employ.
The advantage is that you are not legally responsable for the employment - but of course that will cost you a few percents....

Last edited by 3Wishes; 19.11.2016 at 14:48. Reason: removed ad
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 20.10.2017, 17:52
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Genève
Posts: 9
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
mmorld has no particular reputation at present
Re: How to legally employ a cleaning lady/domestic help

Thx a lot bro for this information !
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank mmorld for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
cleaner cleaning, cleaning lady contract, domestic help




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to employ a cleaner ( and some tips to cleaners who apply):) borntough Employment 0 28.05.2014 09:46
how much to give cleaning lady for christmas bonus kari. Employment 1 03.12.2012 23:44
help me! how to hire a childminder legally? clumsy3296 Family matters/health 2 26.07.2011 01:38
How much does a cleaning lady cost? doudoudidon General off-topic 9 15.07.2010 13:29
Live out Nanny - salary and how to employ? Tanya Employment 1 09.04.2010 10:42


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:11.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0