Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 23.11.2009, 21:23
J.L-P's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Gocki
Posts: 2,749
Groaned at 53 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 2,317 Times in 1,044 Posts
J.L-P has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L-P has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L-P has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L-P has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L-P has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L-P has a reputation beyond repute
Child Hit by a Car, Gockhausen.

A friend of my daughter was hit by a car in front of school on friday. The boy was put into an artificial comma; as of today they are slowly bringing him out of it. He suffered an aneurysm and damage to a lung (and lesser injuries).

I do not know the exact circumstances other than it was in front of the Lycée Français, on the Tobelhofstrasse which is a main road between Zurich and Duebendorf. There is a bus stop, but no zebra crossing; we (the parents) have petitioned the city of Duebendorf of which Gockhausen depends, many times to have anything to slow down the cars as it's on a descent. There have been studies, yet still no light nor zebra crossing.

Unfortunately, only an accident could bring about change- we all knew it and now it has happened.

Every single day before she goes to school, I tell my daughter to be careful and when I drive I try to be careful... but accidents happen.

Please give those you care about a hug, you never know what will happen.

J.L-P
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank J.L-P for this useful post:
  #2  
Old 23.11.2009, 21:25
SemAms's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: im Ausland
Posts: 305
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 415 Times in 228 Posts
SemAms has an excellent reputationSemAms has an excellent reputationSemAms has an excellent reputationSemAms has an excellent reputation
Re: Child Hit by a Car, Gockhausen.

terrible news, hope he recovers soon

these accidents also remind one how dangerous speeding or/and driving at all can be

Last edited by SemAms; 23.11.2009 at 21:42.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 23.11.2009, 21:33
Andrea S's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Canton Schwyz
Posts: 80
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 45 Times in 25 Posts
Andrea S has no particular reputation at present
Re: Child Hit by a Car, Gockhausen.

That's horrible. I hope the boy gets 100% better, soon.

I am very worried about kids and roads so I still walk my kids to Kindergarten. They're only 4 and 5 yrs but I know sooner when the kids are just a little bit older, people will think I'm being overprotective.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 23.11.2009, 21:43
Mel07's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 756
Groaned at 14 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 949 Times in 371 Posts
Mel07 has a reputation beyond reputeMel07 has a reputation beyond reputeMel07 has a reputation beyond reputeMel07 has a reputation beyond reputeMel07 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Child Hit by a Car, Gockhausen.

It has always struck me as a little ironic that countries like Australia and the US (where far less children walk to and from school) have strictly enforced low speed limit zones around schools, while here the kids are all over the streets before and after school and there is no "school zone" speed warnings.

It is always a reassuring sight to see all those cars slowing down to a crawl when driving by schools in Aus and the US. I imagine it is only a matter of time before Switzerland catches up. Let's hope not too many children have to suffer the fate of that poor little boy in Gockhausen before it happens.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 23.11.2009, 21:49
Shinigami's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Gland, Switzerland
Posts: 787
Groaned at 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 330 Times in 223 Posts
Shinigami has an excellent reputationShinigami has an excellent reputationShinigami has an excellent reputationShinigami has an excellent reputation
Re: Child Hit by a Car, Gockhausen.

Quote:
View Post
It has always struck me as a little ironic that countries like Australia and the US (where far less children walk to and from school) have strictly enforced low speed limit zones around schools, while here the kids are all over the streets before and after school and there is no "school zone" speed warnings.
So very true.

I would support having school zones marked down to 20kph between the hours of 7:30-9am and 3-5pm similar to what I've seen in a few locations in Florida.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 23.11.2009, 22:25
amaraya's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: lausanne
Posts: 2,241
Groaned at 20 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,204 Posts
amaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Child Hit by a Car, Gockhausen.

it's every parent's worse nightmare- my heart goes out to the family and i wish my best for the little one. i am always worried about kids walking to school and i don't like the idea of them walking to school, especially at young ages, because i just don't trust drivers- accidents happen so easily and quickly!

it is a good reminder (unfortunately at a great cost to this child) for us all to remind to have extra care- not only near schools but in general when driving.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 23.11.2009, 22:49
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Child Hit by a Car, Gockhausen.

Quote:
View Post
A friend of my daughter was hit by a car in front of school on friday. The boy was put into an artificial comma; as of today they are slowly bringing him out of it. He suffered an aneurysm and damage to a lung (and lesser injuries).

I do not know the exact circumstances other than it was in front of the Lycée Français, on the Tobelhofstrasse which is a main road between Zurich and Duebendorf. There is a bus stop, but no zebra crossing; we (the parents) have petitioned the city of Duebendorf of which Gockhausen depends, many times to have anything to slow down the cars as it's on a descent. There have been studies, yet still no light nor zebra crossing.

Unfortunately, only an accident could bring about change- we all knew it and now it has happened.

Every single day before she goes to school, I tell my daughter to be careful and when I drive I try to be careful... but accidents happen.

Please give those you care about a hug, you never know what will happen.

J.L-P
Reminds me of spring 1959, when one of my best school-friends (Rico Turconi, age 9) enroute to school, got under a truck, and died some 10 days later . I still remember the moment (the teacheress had started lesson in spite of 3 pupils missing), when his sister stormed into the room in tears and towards Mrs Rüetschi who got pale and immediately went out. We then for many many years, later on by bicycle, regularily went to his grave. I particularily remember one such visit when we approached by bike and a lady was to start to complain, but then saw six of us on our bikes in total silence in front of that grave, and then came round and asked us about it all. ....

No, I hope THIS boy survives the ordeal, not least as medicine is much further now than back in 59 ....


Checked it up and found a report about it :

In Gockhausen rannte am Freitagnachmittag ein 13-Jähriger in ein fahrendes Auto. Der Junge liegt mit schweren Kopfverletzungen ins Spital.
Beim Zusammenstoss mit einem Auto ist in Gockhausen am Freitagnachmittag ein 13-Jähriger schwer verletzt worden. Wie die Polizei schreibt, wollte der Junge kurz nach 14.30 Uhr den Bus an der Haltestelle Ursprungstrasse erreichen. Ohne auf den Verkehr zu achten, rannte er über die Gockhauserstrasse, wo er seitlich ins Auto einer 79-jährigen Lenkerin prallte. Der Junge zog sich bei der Kollision schwere Kopfverletzungen zu, die Sanität brachte ihn ins Spital. Der Verkehr auf der Gockhauserstrasse wurde während der Unfallaufnahme einseitig geführt, der Busverkehr war nicht eingeschränkt.

And now also feel with the old lady. Not guilty actually, but it is easy to realize how she feels !

Yes, the truckdriver who overrun my schoolfriend was in hospital for weeks due to "mental conditions". He was NOT guilty, as Rico, his sister and another boy played ball on Seestrasse in Wollishofen and that years before the first Autobahnen were built !

Last edited by Wollishofener; 23.11.2009 at 23:09.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 23.11.2009, 22:50
Goldtop's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 2,857
Groaned at 11 Times in 11 Posts
Thanked 905 Times in 625 Posts
Goldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond reputeGoldtop has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Child Hit by a Car, Gockhausen.

In the village where I live, the parents have organized themselves. They take turns to help kids cross the road. And they put up portable signposts at school opening and closing times.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 23.11.2009, 22:51
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 41
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 12 Posts
danekova has made some interesting contributions
Re: Child Hit by a Car, Gockhausen.

I don't have kids but I always found quite worrisome to see small children walking to school/kindergarden alone I thought maybe I was overprotected or I'm just old fashioned but I don't think wearing a reflective orange triangle is enough. In my country this is not normal, but I guess this is just one of the many cultural diferences.

I wish this little boy recovers soon ..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 24.11.2009, 07:32
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Child Hit by a Car, Gockhausen.

Quote:
View Post
I don't have kids but I always found quite worrisome to see small children walking to school/kindergarden alone I thought maybe I was overprotected or I'm just old fashioned but I don't think wearing a reflective orange triangle is enough. In my country this is not normal, but I guess this is just one of the many cultural diferences.

I wish this little boy recovers soon ..
We all always worked to kindergarten and school alone, and in those times without reflective orange triangle or anything. To say that "nothing happened" would be wrong as you can see in my other post above. It simply was reality. We once or twice per year had a visit to classroom by Policemen Mr Witschi, the school-instructor, who went out with us and showed us danger spots, advised us on trafficwise behaviour and gave answers to uncountable question.... and yes went to Rico's grave with us, using the route for further explanations and instructions, realising to have an unusually open audience ! I not only often feel uneasy when seeing children playing ball on the trottoir but in case of doubt move into the road winking the drivers to slow down. No heroism, but feeling it is my duty, and in fact the point that I could not stand such an accident.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 24.11.2009, 07:36
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Child Hit by a Car, Gockhausen.

Quote:
View Post
In the village where I live, the parents have organized themselves. They take turns to help kids cross the road. And they put up portable signposts at school opening and closing times.
Gockhausen is a special place for drivers. The direct road towards Zurich signaled as "minor road" with the longer route signalled as main road. Both roads not very easy to have under control and complicated. Yes, there is "Handlungsbedarf". They should make a far clearer signalisation around bus-stops and schools, possibly improved even by a blinking orange light at each critical point.

I for many years when driving past bus-stops have winked passengers over to the stop on the other side. Their waves of thanks and the waves of the bus-drivers were compensation for the lost seconds enough !
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 24.11.2009, 08:06
J.L-P's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Gocki
Posts: 2,749
Groaned at 53 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 2,317 Times in 1,044 Posts
J.L-P has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L-P has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L-P has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L-P has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L-P has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L-P has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Child Hit by a Car, Gockhausen.

Quote:
View Post
Gockhausen is a special place for drivers. The direct road towards Zurich signaled as "minor road" with the longer route signalled as main road. Both roads not very easy to have under control and complicated. Yes, there is "Handlungsbedarf". They should make a far clearer signalisation around bus-stops and schools, possibly improved even by a blinking orange light at each critical point.
Thank you for all your thoughts and thank you Wolli for the article. Again, this is a heavily travelled road where the speed changes from 60 to 50, but is on a hill. It's unfortunate to read that he "ran out"; he is 13 and like all the children has been told over and over again about the dangers since there is no marked crossing, nor indication there is a school.

As Wolli has remarked, the road is "complicated"- a friend of mine went into a ravine 20 meters farther down from this accident, his car was totalled.

I'll update his condition as there is news. I am proud of his schoolmates as they are using Facebook to talk about the accident; using precise medical terms and facts, discussing safety and how it could have happened to any of them.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 24.11.2009, 09:01
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 377
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 152 Times in 96 Posts
nanners has made some interesting contributions
Re: Child Hit by a Car, Gockhausen.

Just this morning my husband commented how relatively careless drivers here are when it comes to children crossing the street. I am so sad to hear this.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 24.11.2009, 09:13
Tilia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 2,765
Groaned at 81 Times in 45 Posts
Thanked 2,649 Times in 1,194 Posts
Tilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond reputeTilia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Child Hit by a Car, Gockhausen.

I know the road and the bus stop very well and it is a miracle not more accidents happens there.

I suspect that the fact that it is a private school makes the Gemeinde less interested in making proper arrangements for the kids unfortunately. I suspect they don't really see it as their responsibility.

Wouldn't it be possible to get a bridge built like the one they have further up for the kids going to the public school?



Quote:
View Post
Thank you for all your thoughts and thank you Wolli for the article. Again, this is a heavily travelled road where the speed changes from 60 to 50, but is on a hill. It's unfortunate to read that he "ran out"; he is 13 and like all the children has been told over and over again about the dangers since there is no marked crossing, nor indication there is a school.
.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Tilia for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 24.11.2009, 09:55
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Child Hit by a Car, Gockhausen.

Speaking as a driver with a small kid, to put it mildly, Swiss zebra crossings could use some improvement. On a shiny wet road on a dull day or at night, they are practically invisible. Why not use highly reflective white paint and some flashing orange lights like other countries?
If the Dubendorf Gehminde do get their finger out and build a crossing there, make sure it is well positioned and visible to drivers. It's all very well chanting the mantra "Drivers should be careful at all times...", however I have never known a country with more stupidly located zebra crossings. On the crest of a hill is a favorite, or on the exit roads of roundabouts. On the tree-lined road through the forest from the Zurich zoo to Dubendorf, there is a zebra on the apex of a hairpin bend!
Hope the young lad gets better soon,

Jim
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 24.11.2009, 10:34
J.L-P's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Gocki
Posts: 2,749
Groaned at 53 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 2,317 Times in 1,044 Posts
J.L-P has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L-P has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L-P has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L-P has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L-P has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L-P has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Child Hit by a Car, Gockhausen.

Quote:
View Post
I suspect that the fact that it is a private school makes the Gemeinde less interested in making proper arrangements for the kids unfortunately. I suspect they don't really see it as their responsibility.

Wouldn't it be possible to get a bridge built like the one they have further up for the kids going to the public school?
Your suspicions cannot be denied, we've all felt that it being a private "French" school is exactly why the Gemeinde does nothing.

A bridge would be a great solution, except there is no land on one side- behind the bus-stop there is a ravine. They could get rid of that bus-stop; but then they would have to build a sidewalk up to the next stop which is about 250m away.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 24.11.2009, 10:51
portsmouth68's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 878
Groaned at 33 Times in 24 Posts
Thanked 779 Times in 381 Posts
portsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond reputeportsmouth68 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Child Hit by a Car, Gockhausen.

Quote:
View Post
A friend of my daughter was hit by a car in front of school on friday. The boy was put into an artificial comma; as of today they are slowly bringing him out of it. He suffered an aneurysm and damage to a lung (and lesser injuries).

I do not know the exact circumstances other than it was in front of the Lycée Français, on the Tobelhofstrasse which is a main road between Zurich and Duebendorf. There is a bus stop, but no zebra crossing; we (the parents) have petitioned the city of Duebendorf of which Gockhausen depends, many times to have anything to slow down the cars as it's on a descent. There have been studies, yet still no light nor zebra crossing.

Unfortunately, only an accident could bring about change- we all knew it and now it has happened.

Every single day before she goes to school, I tell my daughter to be careful and when I drive I try to be careful... but accidents happen.

Please give those you care about a hug, you never know what will happen.

J.L-P
Perhaps when we have a speed camera thread again, you can remind us all why they are really there which is of course for our own safety and those that are near our roads.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank portsmouth68 for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 24.11.2009, 16:49
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Child Hit by a Car, Gockhausen.

Quote:
View Post
Speaking as a driver with a small kid, to put it mildly, Swiss zebra crossings could use some improvement. On a shiny wet road on a dull day or at night, they are practically invisible. Why not use highly reflective white paint and some flashing orange lights like other countries?
If the Dubendorf Gehminde do get their finger out and build a crossing there, make sure it is well positioned and visible to drivers. It's all very well chanting the mantra "Drivers should be careful at all times...", however I have never known a country with more stupidly located zebra crossings. On the crest of a hill is a favorite, or on the exit roads of roundabouts. On the tree-lined road through the forest from the Zurich zoo to Dubendorf, there is a zebra on the apex of a hairpin bend!
Hope the young lad gets better soon,

Jim
The quality and positioning/location of the zebra-crossings have been a topic in Switzerland since the late 1970ies and so I am fairly confident that something may happen on a federal level unti the end of the 21st Century and after about 29 popular votes and yes, after a few dozen more deads

So that I am strongly in favour of tackling such problems on a municipal basis
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 24.11.2009, 17:00
Wollishofener's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Glattbrugg
Posts: 19,023
Groaned at 333 Times in 258 Posts
Thanked 11,716 Times in 6,858 Posts
Wollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond reputeWollishofener has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Child Hit by a Car, Gockhausen.

Quote:
View Post
Perhaps when we have a speed camera thread again, you can remind us all why they are really there which is of course for our own safety and those that are near our roads.
But the speed is not really the problem in this case. The roads there are a problem also at 30km/h.

What most certainly happened or happens now is that this women will be accused of carelessness by those "in authority" and accused of no longer being fit to drive, and may most likely lose her driving permit. As if such would help anybody, except the ego of some people.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 24.11.2009, 17:12
J.L-P's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Gocki
Posts: 2,749
Groaned at 53 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 2,317 Times in 1,044 Posts
J.L-P has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L-P has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L-P has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L-P has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L-P has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L-P has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Child Hit by a Car, Gockhausen.

Quote:
View Post
But the speed is not really the problem in this case. The roads there are a problem also at 30km/h.
The road in question is 60km and for me the problem is no signalization.

Last edited by J.L-P; 24.11.2009 at 17:33. Reason: Checked the Speed Limit
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
accidents, cars, children, zebra crossings




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mobility scheme and child car seats kodokan Transportation/driving 15 06.12.2015 18:24
Someone hit my car - what to do? Swissgreys Insurance 25 24.08.2011 21:28
Child in 2-seater car AndrewD Transportation/driving 0 04.03.2007 23:17


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 19:53.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0