Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 24.01.2010, 03:21
ch-expat
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ten Reasons to Leave America for Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Yeah, I know what you mean. That stucco style that is infecting the world. I saw film footage of a neighborhood that I could have sworn was Orange County. Then it turns out that it was on the outskirts of Guangzhou, China.
Little boxes, on the hillside... (Santa Clarita, California)

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #62  
Old 24.01.2010, 13:58
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ten Reasons to Leave America for Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
2. No homeschooling

How is this a positive thing about Switzerland?
If anything, it's a negative because it limits choices for parents and justifies the use of the "nanny" state/government flexing its own social engineering agenda. Never mind the right-wing religious nutjobs--there will always be those in any country.

I don't think it is totally true that you cannot homeschool in Switzerland. I'm not aware of any laws prohibiting homeschooling as a supplement to a regular school. But Children are required to attend an accredited school. And then there is the option of private school.

The Swiss public schools have an authoritarian bent to them. The teachers often have an attitude that they know better what is best for a child than the parent. A teaching position in a Swiss school is almost a lifetime guarantee of income, so the teachers are not compelled to meet particular needs of a family that does not fit the Swiss mold.

For example, when my kids first arrived, they could not roll a hard "R".... RRrrr. We don't have such hard Rs in english, and my kids have not practiced it. So the teacher immediately decided both my kids had a speech impediment and recommended special treatment by a speech therapist. At this point, we were feeling retarded. Of course after a little bit practice, my kids started rolling their Rs.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 24.01.2010, 15:34
MathNut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kt. Glarus
Posts: 4,417
Groaned at 34 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 10,952 Times in 3,253 Posts
MathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ten Reasons to Leave America for Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I don't think it is totally true that you cannot homeschool in Switzerland. I'm not aware of any laws prohibiting homeschooling as a supplement to a regular school. But Children are required to attend an accredited school. And then there is the option of private school.
Like everything else it varies from canton to canton!

In general homeschooling is allowed with some (more or less severe) restrictions. Some places one parent has to be a qualified teacher, some places you have to undergo periodic official inspections, some places your kids just have to pass the same exams as the public school kids. I'm not aware of any canton though where it is totally forbidden (well, it is 'im grosse Kanton'...)

Feeling retarded myself now as I cannot roll my Rrrrs either...
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 24.01.2010, 15:36
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ten Reasons to Leave America for Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Like everything else it varies from canton to canton!

In general homeschooling is allowed with some (more or less severe) restrictions. Some places one parent has to be a qualified teacher, some places you have to undergo periodic official inspections, some places your kids just have to pass the same exams as the public school kids. I'm not aware of any canton though where it is totally forbidden (well, it is 'im grosse Kanton'...)

Feeling retarded myself now as I cannot roll my Rrrrs either...

Do you mean to tell me that there are places in the "civilized" world where it is forbidden to teach your own children?
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #65  
Old 24.01.2010, 15:59
MathNut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kt. Glarus
Posts: 4,417
Groaned at 34 Times in 32 Posts
Thanked 10,952 Times in 3,253 Posts
MathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond reputeMathNut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ten Reasons to Leave America for Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Do you mean to tell me that there are places in the "civilized" world where it is forbidden to teach your own children?
Not at all, but it may be forbidden to keep them home from school in order to do so...
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 24.01.2010, 17:18
Etienne Botes
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ten Reasons to Leave America for Switzerland

I know this applies to Europe in general more than Switzerland, but I think the point is made:
Attached Thumbnails
ten-reasons-leave-america-switzerland-themaindifferencebetweeneuropeandusa.jpg   ten-reasons-leave-america-switzerland-201.jpg   ten-reasons-leave-america-switzerland-694.jpg   ten-reasons-leave-america-switzerland-2357.jpg   ten-reasons-leave-america-switzerland-1349.jpg  

Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #67  
Old 24.01.2010, 17:49
Captain Greybeard's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sarganserland / NW Lower Penin
Posts: 3,518
Groaned at 43 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 7,410 Times in 2,314 Posts
Captain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ten Reasons to Leave America for Switzerland

Although not entirely wrong, could it be that this is just a tiny little bit biased?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Captain Greybeard for this useful post:
  #68  
Old 24.01.2010, 18:01
rrs rrs is offline
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Zuerich
Posts: 986
Groaned at 91 Times in 54 Posts
Thanked 348 Times in 226 Posts
rrs is considered unworthyrrs is considered unworthyrrs is considered unworthyrrs is considered unworthy
Re: Ten Reasons to Leave America for Switzerland

There is homeschooling in Switzerland. It depends on what canton you live in.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 24.01.2010, 18:08
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ten Reasons to Leave America for Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I know this applies to Europe in general more than Switzerland, but I think the point is made:
Are you sure the Indianapolis Speedway map is right?

There seems to be a surprisingly complicated bit at
the bottom
.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 24.01.2010, 19:15
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ten Reasons to Leave America for Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I know this applies to Europe in general more than Switzerland, but I think the point is made:
Oh...this is funny...ROFL
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 24.01.2010, 19:36
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: zeiningnen
Posts: 19
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
johnny E. has no particular reputation at present
Re: Ten Reasons to Leave America for Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
1. Great public transport
2. Great quality of roads and sidewalks (based on Chicago)
3. Generally higher quality of air
4. Waaaay higher quality of housing (materials, workmanship, energy efficiency)
5. Located between interesting neighbouring countries surrounding it (Canada is great as well)
6. Lower taxes
7. More pleasant winters (comparing to Chicago)
8. Lesser avaliability of junk food establishments
9. Diversity of media outlets avaliable
10. Trust one receives from service/product providers (invoice on invoice at your leisure still amazes me)
Your dead wrong on counts #3,4,6. 4. Energy efficiency is a farce in this country. Energy management is wrapped in a colorful package, but that's all it is. (I was a commercial/industrial electrician for 25 years in the states and I attened college majoring in renewable energies and energy management. I've lived here for 6 years and in 3 kantons and I have been totally disillusioned with the state of both. 3.wanna see some clean air, check out my photo album.
6. Have no idea were you lived in the states, but you now live in one of the most expensive countries in the world...tax included...johnny e.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank johnny E. for this useful post:
  #72  
Old 24.01.2010, 20:07
Captain Greybeard's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sarganserland / NW Lower Penin
Posts: 3,518
Groaned at 43 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 7,410 Times in 2,314 Posts
Captain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Greybeard has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ten Reasons to Leave America for Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Your dead wrong on counts #3,4,6. 4. Energy efficiency is a farce in this country. Energy management is wrapped in a colorful package, but that's all it is. (I was a commercial/industrial electrician for 25 years in the states and I attened college majoring in renewable energies and energy management. I've lived here for 6 years and in 3 kantons and I have been totally disillusioned with the state of both. 3.wanna see some clean air, check out my photo album.
6. Have no idea were you lived in the states, but you now live in one of the most expensive countries in the world...tax included...johnny e.
I like your photos, but what makes you so sure the air is clean there? I could show you thousands of pictures of seemingly pristine nature in north-western lower Michigan, but when you look at pollution charts you'll notice that the pollution from the big citys travels over hundreds of miles and comes down right there, making the air as dirty as in the 'burbs of Chicago.

A picture may say more than 1000 words, but a pollution map may say more than 1000 photos.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Captain Greybeard for this useful post:
  #73  
Old 24.01.2010, 22:31
ch-expat
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Ten Reasons to Leave America for Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I like your photos, but what makes you so sure the air is clean there? I could show you thousands of pictures of seemingly pristine nature in north-western lower Michigan, but when you look at pollution charts you'll notice that the pollution from the big citys travels over hundreds of miles and comes down right there, making the air as dirty as in the 'burbs of Chicago.

A picture may say more than 1000 words, but a pollution map may say more than 1000 photos.
In the US, 54% of the electricity is generated by coal power plants and it is the biggest source of pollution.
They reject nitrogen oxide, sulfur dioxide, and also some quantity of heavy metal among other things.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 25.01.2010, 01:29
PaperMoon2's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 499
Groaned at 24 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 100 Times in 74 Posts
PaperMoon2 has earned the respect of manyPaperMoon2 has earned the respect of manyPaperMoon2 has earned the respect of many
Re: Ten Reasons to Leave America for Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I don't think it is totally true that you cannot homeschool in Switzerland. I'm not aware of any laws prohibiting homeschooling as a supplement to a regular school. But Children are required to attend an accredited school. And then there is the option of private school.

The Swiss public schools have an authoritarian bent to them. The teachers often have an attitude that they know better what is best for a child than the parent. A teaching position in a Swiss school is almost a lifetime guarantee of income, so the teachers are not compelled to meet particular needs of a family that does not fit the Swiss mold.

For example, when my kids first arrived, they could not roll a hard "R".... RRrrr. We don't have such hard Rs in english, and my kids have not practiced it. So the teacher immediately decided both my kids had a speech impediment and recommended special treatment by a speech therapist. At this point, we were feeling retarded. Of course after a little bit practice, my kids started rolling their Rs.
Rolling your "R" IS hard for someone who isn't a native speaker! Most Americans cannot roll their "r"s.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 25.01.2010, 02:31
amaraya's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: lausanne
Posts: 2,239
Groaned at 20 Times in 9 Posts
Thanked 2,845 Times in 1,204 Posts
amaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond reputeamaraya has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ten Reasons to Leave America for Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
Rolling your "R" IS hard for someone who isn't a native speaker! Most Americans cannot roll their "r"s.
except for the 34 million spanish speakers in the country
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 25.01.2010, 06:41
PaperMoon2's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 499
Groaned at 24 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 100 Times in 74 Posts
PaperMoon2 has earned the respect of manyPaperMoon2 has earned the respect of manyPaperMoon2 has earned the respect of many
Re: Ten Reasons to Leave America for Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
except for the 34 million spanish speakers in the country
LOL! Okay yeah.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 26.10.2011, 14:23
marcolourenco's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Gstaad, Lausanne, Geneva
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
marcolourenco has no particular reputation at present
Re: Ten Reasons to Leave America for Switzerland

I'm from South Africa so I can't really comment on some aspects but is fast food cheaper in Switzerland than in US???
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 26.10.2011, 14:42
Karl's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Here
Posts: 2,003
Groaned at 192 Times in 87 Posts
Thanked 2,939 Times in 958 Posts
Karl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ten Reasons to Leave America for Switzerland

Here are 2 excellent reasons to leave America for Switzerland...PERMANANTLY:

1) FBAR
2) FATCA
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Karl for this useful post:
  #79  
Old 26.10.2011, 14:52
drmom's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere in SG
Posts: 2,341
Groaned at 12 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,050 Posts
drmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond reputedrmom has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ten Reasons to Leave America for Switzerland

Quote:
View Post
I'm from South Africa so I can't really comment on some aspects but is fast food cheaper in Switzerland than in US???

I don't think anything is cheaper in Switzerland, than in the US.

Actually, the other day I thought of 1 or 2 things, but I have since forgotten what they are...
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 26.10.2011, 14:52
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 32,224
Groaned at 2,456 Times in 1,777 Posts
Thanked 39,326 Times in 18,535 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Ten Reasons to Leave America for Switzerland

Horsemeat, foie-gras, wine, raclette and other Swiss cheeses, tete-de-veau, grappa Ticinese, better motorcycling roads, better availability of parts for Italian motorcycles, relaxed Sundays, 5 weeks vacation + 14 holidays/year, prices include tax and tip, etc.

Tom
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank st2lemans for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ten reasons to leave UK for Switzerland Darika Daily life 402 13.11.2010 14:35
How Often do you leave Switzerland ? Guest Daily life 12 08.11.2010 17:30
2 reasons why Switzerland is definitely better than England lokami Daily life 62 02.11.2010 20:44
Reasons to be glad you chose to live in Switzerland & not, say.. Australia Rangatiranui International affairs/politics 45 31.10.2009 13:54
Sick of America Bashing [and other thoughts about America] TheSpouse Complaints corner 569 24.10.2009 14:03


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0