Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 21.01.2010, 12:38
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: new delhi , india
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
sona80 has no particular reputation at present
In Doubt : whether to relocate to Basel from india ?

Hi All,

My husband has been offered a job position at Basel with 100000CHF annual salary. Need to understand if it makes financial sense for us to move there ?

We plan to move there with our 1.5 yr old son.

Can anybody elaborate on the following :

1) What is the tax rate at Basel for a couple (wife not working with dependent kid) ?

2) Any other kind of deductions like social security , municipal tax etc (he will be there on a 11 months contract , will these deductions be still applicable) ?

3) How much do we have to pay for health insurance ? Is this paid by employees or generally companies also contribute towards this as employment contracts ?

4) What all is covered under health insurance - normal sickness , vaccinations for toddler ?

5) How much is the average rent for a 2BR appartment / house (furnished / unfurnished) ? Do landlords ask for some kind of security deposit ?

6) Cost of living

How much will be monthly expense on following :
- Groceries (will be cooking at home and not eating out much)
- Other home stuff, toiletries etc
- utilities bills :electricity / water / gas / heating
- travel cost
- baby stuff like diapers , baby food , milk
-telephone expense with a very nominal usage
- TV and internet

7) I work as software developer in india , what kind of job openings are there at Basel for a software developer with pre sales experience :
- How will the tax rate change if both of us will work ?

8) What are typical Daycare cost at Basel ?

I have asked too much informsation here , it would be really helpful if somebody can reply in detail.

This info is important for us to make a decision whether with this kind of salary , will we be able to meet our other financial commitments back home ?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 21.01.2010, 12:41
allegra_:)
 
Posts: n/a
Re: In Doubt : whether to relocate to Basel from india ?

With 100'000 a year or 8333 a month you should be fine in Switzerland. And you can save some. It depends though on your other commitments.

Rents in Basel are higher, so go for other living areas like Riehen etc.

The biggest cost is the monthly rent of approx. 2000-3000 - depending on location and how luxurious you want to live.

www.homegate.ch
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 21.01.2010, 12:55
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: new delhi , india
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
sona80 has no particular reputation at present
Re: In Doubt : whether to relocate to Basel from india ?

How much of salary will go in living expenses and deductions? not looking at a very luxurious accomodation , good enough for a family , not eating out as well.
Need to understand as we have huge commitments back home.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 21.01.2010, 13:00
Papa Goose's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: was Ägeri now Froggeri
Posts: 3,712
Groaned at 191 Times in 160 Posts
Thanked 4,293 Times in 1,815 Posts
Papa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond reputePapa Goose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: In Doubt : whether to relocate to Basel from india ?

All this has been answered so many times.... use the search function!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Papa Goose for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 21.01.2010, 13:09
kvrbpl's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Zurich
Posts: 89
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 44 Times in 20 Posts
kvrbpl has no particular reputation at present
Re: In Doubt : whether to relocate to Basel from india ?

100K CHF is not a bad salary.

Keep these rough estimates 1500-1800 CHF for decent 2-3 bedroom housing, 1000 CHF living exps 20% (or ~1500 CHF in taxes, health insurance etc) that should still save you atleast 3000 per month

(At current exchange rate of Rs 44/CHF that is Rs1.32 lakh of saving pm-not sure if any salaried person is regularly able to save that much in India)

Plus, the quality of life in Switzerland is something different--

As pointed out there are many many threads describing all this so help yourself ---good luck
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 21.01.2010, 13:20
Kaps
 
Posts: n/a
Re: In Doubt : whether to relocate to Basel from india ?

Quote:
View Post
Hi All,

My husband has been offered a job position at Basel with 100000CHF annual salary. Need to understand if it makes financial sense for us to move there ?

We plan to move there with our 1.5 yr old son.

Can anybody elaborate on the following :

1) What is the tax rate at Basel for a couple (wife not working with dependent kid) ?

2) Any other kind of deductions like social security , municipal tax etc (he will be there on a 11 months contract , will these deductions be still applicable) ?

3) How much do we have to pay for health insurance ? Is this paid by employees or generally companies also contribute towards this as employment contracts ?

4) What all is covered under health insurance - normal sickness , vaccinations for toddler ?

5) How much is the average rent for a 2BR appartment / house (furnished / unfurnished) ? Do landlords ask for some kind of security deposit ?

6) Cost of living

How much will be monthly expense on following :
- Groceries (will be cooking at home and not eating out much)
- Other home stuff, toiletries etc
- utilities bills :electricity / water / gas / heating
- travel cost
- baby stuff like diapers , baby food , milk
-telephone expense with a very nominal usage
- TV and internet

7) I work as software developer in india , what kind of job openings are there at Basel for a software developer with pre sales experience :
- How will the tax rate change if both of us will work ?

8) What are typical Daycare cost at Basel ?

I have asked too much informsation here , it would be really helpful if somebody can reply in detail.

This info is important for us to make a decision whether with this kind of salary , will we be able to meet our other financial commitments back home ?
It is difficult to recommend unless one can really compare with your current environment. PM me if you care to share.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 21.01.2010, 18:54
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bevaix
Posts: 102
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
vydetra2 has no particular reputation at present
Re: In Doubt : whether to relocate to Basel from india ?

Quote:
View Post
100K CHF is not a bad salary.

Keep these rough estimates 1500-1800 CHF for decent 2-3 bedroom housing, 1000 CHF living exps 20% (or ~1500 CHF in taxes, health insurance etc) that should still save you atleast 3000 per month

(At current exchange rate of Rs 44/CHF that is Rs1.32 lakh of saving pm-not sure if any salaried person is regularly able to save that much in India)

Plus, the quality of life in Switzerland is something different--

As pointed out there are many many threads describing all this so help yourself ---good luck

If 8333 is the gross salary, the sum that you would get in your hand would be much less, due to complusory deductions for AHV, and pensionkasse.
So it would be difficult to save 3000 per month
Welcome to Switzerland, best wishes
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 22.01.2010, 06:06
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: new delhi , india
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
sona80 has no particular reputation at present
Re: In Doubt : whether to relocate to Basel from india ?

Thanks for your reply.
How much would these deductions(AHV and other insurances etc) be ?

As I understand , following would be deducted from the gross salary :
a) taxes (about 12%)
b) AHV and other deductions (8-9%)
c) Pension (both employees and employers contribution , about 14 %)

net-net , what i will get in hand will be about 35% less thaq gross.
Is this understanding correct ?

Also if 1000CHF will be sufficient for groceries and other home stuff with a baby ??

Do rent include other charges like electricity, water , gas , heating ? if not , how much should I expect to pay for these apart from 1500-1800 rent.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 22.01.2010, 08:24
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bevaix
Posts: 102
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
vydetra2 has no particular reputation at present
Re: In Doubt : whether to relocate to Basel from india ?

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for your reply.
How much would these deductions(AHV and other insurances etc) be ?

As I understand , following would be deducted from the gross salary :
a) taxes (about 12%)
b) AHV and other deductions (8-9%)
c) Pension (both employees and employers contribution , about 14 %)

net-net , what i will get in hand will be about 35% less thaq gross.
Is this understanding correct ?

Also if 1000CHF will be sufficient for groceries and other home stuff with a baby ??

Do rent include other charges like electricity, water , gas , heating ? if not , how much should I expect to pay for these apart from 1500-1800 rent.
Rent does not include electricity, (additinally you will land line phone cost, cable TV and internet cost).
Water, gas and heating is to be paid in (12) monthly installments, is called nebenkosten, can vary from CHF200 to CHF250, depends on the object and the person who rents the house to you.
If you have a park place, it would cost too.
Send me a pm if you want to talk it out, or go through our EF mails, you will find lot of useful info.
Re AHV, taxes, penson contribuitions, best is to talk to your HR of your employer, his data will be relevant
Best wishes
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 22.01.2010, 08:27
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bevaix
Posts: 102
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
vydetra2 has no particular reputation at present
Re: In Doubt : whether to relocate to Basel from india ?

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for your reply.
How much would these deductions(AHV and other insurances etc) be ?

As I understand , following would be deducted from the gross salary :
a) taxes (about 12%)
b) AHV and other deductions (8-9%)
c) Pension (both employees and employers contribution , about 14 %)

net-net , what i will get in hand will be about 35% less thaq gross.
Is this understanding correct ?

Also if 1000CHF will be sufficient for groceries and other home stuff with a baby ??

Do rent include other charges like electricity, water , gas , heating ? if not , how much should I expect to pay for these apart from 1500-1800 rent.
Regret I forgot you have compulsory health insurance to pay, go to www.comparis.ch to get the outgoing
Thanks and best wishes
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 22.01.2010, 08:33
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: new delhi , india
Posts: 16
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
sona80 has no particular reputation at present
Re: In Doubt : whether to relocate to Basel from india ?

Thanks vydetra2.

As per the contract , premium for private health insurance will be paid by company. so we are saved there. Will this insurance cover immunization for our son ??
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 22.01.2010, 09:43
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bevaix
Posts: 102
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 17 Times in 16 Posts
vydetra2 has no particular reputation at present
Re: In Doubt : whether to relocate to Basel from india ?

Quote:
View Post
Thanks vydetra2.

As per the contract , premium for private health insurance will be paid by company. so we are saved there. Will this insurance cover immunization for our son ??
yes, if what you say 'private health insurance' is the same as the compulsory health insurance scheme that is required for all residents with a residency permit
There are few families from India in Basle, there is also a Indian Association. Have a wonderful stay should you come to Switzerland
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 22.01.2010, 14:21
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Swissland
Posts: 1,456
Groaned at 54 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 791 Times in 469 Posts
Dervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond repute
Re: In Doubt : whether to relocate to Basel from india ?

Ah... Now thats a very tough decision to make. I would think it would be better if you guys hire a professional or a consultant to fully evaluate the pros and cons of living in India vs Basel and help you make the right decision.

Trust me I know, I have been through a similar situation and it had kept me up at nights trying to reach a decision. It wasnt easy for sure!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 22.01.2010, 14:30
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,232
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,934 Times in 4,178 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: In Doubt : whether to relocate to Basel from india ?

Quote:
View Post
Ah... Now thats a very tough decision to make. I would think it would be better if you guys hire a professional or a consultant to fully evaluate the pros and cons of living in India vs Basel and help you make the right decision.

Trust me I know, I have been through a similar situation and it had kept me up at nights trying to reach a decision. It wasnt easy for sure!
If you are unsure at this stage, one thing you might want to do is have short- and long-term plans (i.e. a list of triggers for why you should stay or go once you are here) and an exit strategy. You are both professionals, so you may be able to take a hit in your careers for a year and still recover in the long-term. The impact on your child for the next 1-2 years is likely to be minimal.

Having that safety net/exit strategy may allow you to return "easily" if you find it is not for you and at least you will not spend the rest of your life thinking "what if?".
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Carlos R for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 22.01.2010, 14:37
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: switzerland, lausanne
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cindrella1 has no particular reputation at present
Re: In Doubt : whether to relocate to Basel from india ?

hello sona80
here is an easy reply . . i am living with my husband . we both do not compromise on our living as well as eating standerds and so i shall be able to give you a good reasonable reply...yours can be little higher because u have a kid too........not in percentage but accurately...u r 3 members.. now the compulsary kharche
1. insurance of u three. it is compulsary here. 450 fr for u both and around500 fr for the kid
2. house rent : u gcan ger a good respectable house in around 1000 franc . u cn stay little farther from the city. well distances here are very very short. the complete switzerland is smaller than our UP
3. ELECTRICITY 100 fr per month
4. water rent comes annually
5. internet and phone 100 francs
6.500 francs per month can gve you all grocery for the month. and it is good. above average
7. and at last 25% is the tax
there is no other compulsary expense. it is a good amount your husband is getting.
i shall be able to help you in more detail if u need it. you can send me a private message. i m 81. we are of same age..
all the best and welcome to the switzerland
bbye
cindrella
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 22.01.2010, 14:41
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: switzerland, lausanne
Posts: 9
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cindrella1 has no particular reputation at present
Re: In Doubt : whether to relocate to Basel from india ?

sorry .. i just read it. premium for health insurence is paid by the company. then it becomes easier. for your kid it can be asked from the company. kid's insurance is seperate from the parents and it is little higher here for kids.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 22.01.2010, 14:44
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Swissland
Posts: 1,456
Groaned at 54 Times in 36 Posts
Thanked 791 Times in 469 Posts
Dervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond reputeDervaish has a reputation beyond repute
Re: In Doubt : whether to relocate to Basel from india ?

Am I so bad with sarcasm?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Dervaish for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 22.01.2010, 14:47
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,232
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,934 Times in 4,178 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: In Doubt : whether to relocate to Basel from india ?

Quote:
View Post
Am I so bad with sarcasm?


LOL

I'm a simple soul...

In my defence some people do find it difficult
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 22.01.2010, 14:48
Carlos R's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Roundn'about Basel
Posts: 7,232
Groaned at 105 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 9,934 Times in 4,178 Posts
Carlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond reputeCarlos R has a reputation beyond repute
Re: In Doubt : whether to relocate to Basel from india ?

Quote:
View Post
sorry .. i just read it. premium for health insurence is paid by the company. then it becomes easier. for your kid it can be asked from the company. kid's insurance is seperate from the parents and it is little higher here for kids.
?? Not sure I understand. We pay 800-900/Q for adults and ~350/Q for kids..., and we only have to pay 10% of fees...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Carlos R for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 22.01.2010, 14:53
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 8,082
Groaned at 484 Times in 403 Posts
Thanked 14,715 Times in 5,780 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: In Doubt : whether to relocate to Basel from india ?

be very careful with how you take these replies! I'm not sure what sort of place you want to live in, sure you can get an apartment for 1000chf in basel, but it will be 1 room!, thats 1 room in total, bedroom, living room etc all in the same room. Somthing a bit bigger is going to cost a whole lot more then 1000chf per month.

Also bare in mind you'll need a deposit, which can be upto 3 months rent, see if your husbands company will also take care of this.

Check homegate
www.homegate.ch

There are 3 of us, I wish our grocery bill was only 500chf per month.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank bigblue2 for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New in Basel from India Devanand.devadathan Introductions 4 16.07.2009 16:21
Looking to relocate in Switzerland Iraklis Introductions 0 06.07.2009 23:10
Doubt: Internship in Switzerland vs Finishing my studies early... Tweener Employment 7 06.02.2008 15:35
Relocate within Switzerland - your opinions? bevilachka Other/general 4 21.01.2008 12:34
Best time of year to relocate dabutiman Family matters/health 6 19.08.2007 23:22


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:01.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0