Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 01.03.2010, 21:27
tkn's Avatar
tkn tkn is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 354
Groaned at 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 169 Times in 113 Posts
tkn has earned some respecttkn has earned some respect
Re: How long have you been here in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
13 years
Anybody know where I can buy potatoes?
Potatoes contribute to global warming (if you know what I mean...)
Swiss are environmentally conscious people....
On second thoughts....making cheese produces more methane...
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 01.03.2010, 21:36
saraCan's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 146
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 42 Times in 22 Posts
saraCan has made some interesting contributions
Re: How long have you been here in Switzerland?

1year and 3 days... still adapting...
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 01.03.2010, 21:38
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Luzern
Posts: 21
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
TaraDalziel has no particular reputation at present
Re: How long have you been here in Switzerland?

8 months! Going strong. I moved here to see how things would/will go with my boyfriend, and I must say, everything is great!
Although I am still trying to find a part time job and some girlfriends in Luzern, but otherwise it is a very enriching and fulfilling experience. Wouldn't trade it for the world. :0)
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 01.03.2010, 22:40
Lucy..TotallyLost's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Biel
Posts: 493
Groaned at 8 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 340 Times in 155 Posts
Lucy..TotallyLost has an excellent reputationLucy..TotallyLost has an excellent reputationLucy..TotallyLost has an excellent reputationLucy..TotallyLost has an excellent reputation
Re: how long... ?

Quote:
View Post
That is horrendous - poor you. Given what you have just said I am absolutely amazed that I haven't been pulled as I drive a British and a French plated car alternately. Did you ask if they had specific evidence of your having been tailgating? Or, on second thoughts, I guess the whole thought of it was probably just too depressing for words. Seriously though, surely they have to provide some kind of evidence to present you with such a fine?
No, we didnt ask happened so strangely - went from "just pulling you over for a routine check" to a bunch of questions about where we were driving to/from to a bunch of questions about what we were doing in Switzerland to "okay well you were tailgating the car in front so you'll get a fine in the mail".. it was just confusing and went over our heads and neither of us thought to question it..

Its so frustrating, because we definitely werent tailgating (as I said, I'm annoying and nag about stuff like that!!) - and this is the same incident where the cop said Luke showed his Australian licence which also didnt happen errrrrr.

If we had been in the wrong, I would accept it. And if we could afford it, I would just let it go. But we can't afford to live in Switzerland, but we can't afford to leave. Sighh I am a whinger. Oh well. I'll give it a couple more months before I write the sheepish email to my parents asking them to bail me out!
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 02.03.2010, 08:22
NSchulzi's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Zug
Posts: 2,428
Groaned at 53 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,215 Posts
NSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How long have you been here in Switzerland?

Oh dear, how frustrating for you. This is turning out to be even more of a police state than I had thought. Try not to get too despondent though, and throw in the towel completely. I wonder if anyone else had been pulled up for a similar 'offence' and can give advice?
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 02.03.2010, 08:46
J.L-P's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Gocki
Posts: 2,749
Groaned at 53 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 2,317 Times in 1,044 Posts
J.L-P has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L-P has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L-P has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L-P has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L-P has a reputation beyond reputeJ.L-P has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How long have you been here in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
Oh dear, how frustrating for you. This is turning out to be even more of a police state than I had thought. Try not to get too despondent though, and throw in the towel completely. I wonder if anyone else had been pulled up for a similar 'offence' and can give advice?
Oh c'mon, you just have to get used to the rules. My advice is pay the fine and also if you cannot afford fines, then don't drive. Cars are expensive.

Btw, I have been pulled over, ordered out of a car (not mine), had it confiscated and then was booked. My ID was only a Visa card as I had changed bags for a date, which just added to the fun. 120 chfs + whatever is nothing compared to going to jail. The charges were dropped the next day though, as it really wasn't my fault. Well, except for the credit card bit and they dropped that too.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 02.03.2010, 08:56
NSchulzi's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Zug
Posts: 2,428
Groaned at 53 Times in 34 Posts
Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,215 Posts
NSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How long have you been here in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
Oh c'mon, you just have to get used to the rules. My advice is pay the fine and also if you cannot afford fines, then don't drive. Cars are expensive.

Btw, I have been pulled over, ordered out of a car (not mine), had it confiscated and then was booked. My ID was only a Visa card as I had changed bags for a date, which just added to the fun. 120 chfs + whatever is nothing compared to going to jail. The charges were dropped the next day though, as it really wasn't my fault. Well, except for the credit card bit and they dropped that too.
You were lucky! Really, though, my point was that all those charges seem to have been thrown around without any evidence to substantiate them, which does not seem fair at all. Given the circumstances, I do not see why the OP should just 'pay the fine.'
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 02.03.2010, 18:55
Lucy..TotallyLost's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Biel
Posts: 493
Groaned at 8 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 340 Times in 155 Posts
Lucy..TotallyLost has an excellent reputationLucy..TotallyLost has an excellent reputationLucy..TotallyLost has an excellent reputationLucy..TotallyLost has an excellent reputation
Re: How long have you been here in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
Oh c'mon, you just have to get used to the rules. My advice is pay the fine and also if you cannot afford fines, then don't drive. Cars are expensive.

Btw, I have been pulled over, ordered out of a car (not mine), had it confiscated and then was booked. My ID was only a Visa card as I had changed bags for a date, which just added to the fun. 120 chfs + whatever is nothing compared to going to jail. The charges were dropped the next day though, as it really wasn't my fault. Well, except for the credit card bit and they dropped that too.
Umm I am used to the rules.. I am not used to being bothered by cops when we werent doing anything wrong and then cops making up lies. Or is that a rule here?

Anyway if its not that its; me, today, leaving my wallet sitting on a seat and the old man who had come and sat next to me to smoke all over me not having the decency to tell me my wallet was there - just smirking at me as he walked off.

Maybe I had too much good luck in Australia with things like this, and now I have run out so its all turned to sh*t.. and I REALISE all the things I whinge about arent anybody's fault but my own.. but it just feels like its always one step forward, two steps back here and its getting too hard..
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 02.03.2010, 18:59
deutschmaad's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Zurich
Posts: 355
Groaned at 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 116 Times in 83 Posts
deutschmaad is considered knowledgeabledeutschmaad is considered knowledgeabledeutschmaad is considered knowledgeable
Re: How long have you been here in Switzerland?

7 months this week.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 02.03.2010, 19:06
cannut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 6,868
Groaned at 180 Times in 140 Posts
Thanked 6,112 Times in 3,355 Posts
cannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How long have you been here in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
Umm I am used to the rules.. I am not used to being bothered by cops when we werent doing anything wrong and then cops making up lies. Or is that a rule here?

Anyway if its not that its; me, today, leaving my wallet sitting on a seat and the old man who had come and sat next to me to smoke all over me not having the decency to tell me my wallet was there - just smirking at me as he walked off.

Maybe I had too much good luck in Australia with things like this, and now I have run out so its all turned to sh*t.. and I REALISE all the things I whinge about arent anybody's fault but my own.. but it just feels like its always one step forward, two steps back here and its getting too hard..
What a Brick,Pastard
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 02.03.2010, 19:07
Lucy..TotallyLost's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Biel
Posts: 493
Groaned at 8 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 340 Times in 155 Posts
Lucy..TotallyLost has an excellent reputationLucy..TotallyLost has an excellent reputationLucy..TotallyLost has an excellent reputationLucy..TotallyLost has an excellent reputation
Re: How long have you been here in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
What a Brick,Pastard
He wasss.. I wondered what his satisfied little smirk was for, then when I got on the train and saw my wallet sitting there as the train took off I realised!!

Dammit
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 02.03.2010, 20:03
swissotter's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: ZH
Posts: 2,115
Groaned at 9 Times in 8 Posts
Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,234 Posts
swissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond reputeswissotter has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How long have you been here in Switzerland?

6 yrs and just as i had begun to like this place, i'm off again....
(but like i promised jacek, i will be back )
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 03.03.2010, 21:10
Lucy..TotallyLost's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Biel
Posts: 493
Groaned at 8 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 340 Times in 155 Posts
Lucy..TotallyLost has an excellent reputationLucy..TotallyLost has an excellent reputationLucy..TotallyLost has an excellent reputationLucy..TotallyLost has an excellent reputation
Re: How long have you been here in Switzerland?

Quote:
View Post
What a Brick,Pastard
For the sake of being fair and balanced and sh*t, a nice man found my wallet and (obviously deciding against handing it in to the sbb office at the station which was the only move I had anticipated and had left my number there) saw my video shop membership card so handed it in to the video shop

Unfortunately we had given the video shop Luke's mobile number, but his phone stopped working a few days ago (one step forward two steps back always!) so we couldnt be contacted.
Luckily Luke decided to go into the video shop today and the guy recognised him (not sure if he recognised him as my partner or from the cute picture I have in my wallet ) and gave him my wallet.
Soo thank God for nice people and for living in a small town with a small video shop
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Lucy..TotallyLost for this useful post:
  #74  
Old 03.03.2010, 21:36
vwild1
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How long have you been here in Switzerland?

22 years, 4 months, 23 days, +/- 12 hours... and counting.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 06.03.2010, 17:47
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: how long... ?

Quote:
View Post
No, we didnt ask happened so strangely - went from "just pulling you over for a routine check" to a bunch of questions about where we were driving to/from to a bunch of questions about what we were doing in Switzerland to "okay well you were tailgating the car in front so you'll get a fine in the mail".. it was just confusing and went over our heads and neither of us thought to question it..

Its so frustrating, because we definitely werent tailgating (as I said, I'm annoying and nag about stuff like that!!) - and this is the same incident where the cop said Luke showed his Australian licence which also didnt happen errrrrr.

If we had been in the wrong, I would accept it. And if we could afford it, I would just let it go. But we can't afford to live in Switzerland, but we can't afford to leave. Sighh I am a whinger. Oh well. I'll give it a couple more months before I write the sheepish email to my parents asking them to bail me out!
Lucy...you can call them and they should allow you to pay it in parts...Just tell them you can't afford to pay all at once...(I think this is still possible) Good Luck...
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 06.03.2010, 17:55
Lucy..TotallyLost's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Biel
Posts: 493
Groaned at 8 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 340 Times in 155 Posts
Lucy..TotallyLost has an excellent reputationLucy..TotallyLost has an excellent reputationLucy..TotallyLost has an excellent reputationLucy..TotallyLost has an excellent reputation
Re: how long... ?

Quote:
Lucy...you can call them and they should allow you to pay it in parts...Just tell them you can't afford to pay all at once...(I think this is still possible) Good Luck...
Thank you.. we shall try that
He got another one, because he is losing his licence for a month because of the tailgating thing, and apparently you get a 300chf+ fine if you lose your licence?
Sighhhhh!!

Also - when he organised his car insurance the guy doing it asked if he had lost his licence before, I think that now that he has, he should let the insurer know.. should he? He doesnt seem to think so.. but it seems like he should..
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 06.03.2010, 18:07
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: How long have you been here in Switzerland?

6 years....only seems like yesterday.......it was Friday!!
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 06.03.2010, 18:31
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Pagrüeg Graubünden
Posts: 44
Groaned at 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
dekrim has no particular reputation at present
Re: How long have you been here in Switzerland?

6 years And for my wife isay yes But i still think of my frends still fight a war. And i think if this realy right to come in sted go to war. so iam here for now.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 06.03.2010, 18:35
Oldhand's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Zürich
Posts: 4,008
Groaned at 18 Times in 17 Posts
Thanked 6,812 Times in 2,051 Posts
Oldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond reputeOldhand has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How long have you been here in Switzerland?

29 years and what a ride.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 06.03.2010, 18:37
Begga's Avatar
RIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Basel [Quality not Quantity]
Posts: 2,288
Groaned at 31 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 2,879 Times in 1,067 Posts
Begga has a reputation beyond reputeBegga has a reputation beyond reputeBegga has a reputation beyond reputeBegga has a reputation beyond reputeBegga has a reputation beyond reputeBegga has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How long have you been here in Switzerland?

One year and 9 months.
Was just tired of dating my uncles...
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
You know you've been living in Switzerland too long when... Vince Jokes/funnies 27 02.08.2011 12:17
Long stay outside Switzerland kamalp Permits/visas/government 2 11.09.2009 10:37
Long in Switzerland, new to the forum Thomas79 Introductions 3 23.03.2009 22:18
Living in Switzerland too long... dannyt986 Daily life 24 09.11.2007 17:10
How long have you been in Switzerland? dannyt986 Daily life 53 08.11.2007 14:19


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0