Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Living in Switzerland > Daily life  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 22.06.2007, 16:04
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Your questions on Switzerland: ask the Swiss guy

Quote:
View Post
Thanks for the info, better watch out when when visiting swiss friends. This also explains why at night I can "only" here the neighbours toilet flush and never anything else.
See if this was the practise in Finland maybe the death toll among young males would go down!
Isn't tonight one of the most dangerous for males under 25 in Finland?
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 22.06.2007, 16:11
Pekka's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 154
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Pekka has no particular reputation at present
Re: Your questions on Switzerland: ask the Swiss guy

Quote:
View Post
See if this was the practise in Finland maybe the death toll among young males would go down!
Isn't tonight one of the most dangerous for males under 25 in Finland?
No, midsummer is dangerous for all finnish males, no matter what their age is!

Just checked the tabloids, we are currently around 10 dead for this midsummer...

Sitting down for the minor operation would actually make it more dangerous, since the traditional way of going down is to pee from your small row boat and fall in to lake, quite intoxicated naturally. Sitting on the side of the boat would most certainly make it flip...
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 22.06.2007, 16:41
Pekka's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 154
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Pekka has no particular reputation at present
Re: Your questions on Switzerland: ask the Swiss guy

Gautsch,

why is everything in Switzerland so angular (could not think of a better word)?

Seems like most of the new houses, infrastructure and machines are so... well angular! Has this something to with the order?
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 22.06.2007, 16:47
bubbles4352's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 572
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 174 Times in 108 Posts
bubbles4352 is considered knowledgeablebubbles4352 is considered knowledgeablebubbles4352 is considered knowledgeable
Re: Your questions on Switzerland: ask the Swiss guy

Ok, here's 3 questions! No offence intended to anybody.

First... What is it about Swiss people and standing around blocking doorways? I've seen it on several occasions. For example a tram goes past and 2/3 of it is empty, but the last third is jam-packed. There's lots of empty space but people just stand just inside the doorway where they got on, and block the entrance. Similarly in bars - people stand around the doorway and block it for other people (I saw this in Iroquois about a month ago). I also saw it in City airport in London while waiting for a flight back to Zurich - once people had their ticket run through the machine in the departure lounge they immediately stopped, and a massive crowd built up just inside the entrance, even though the rest of the lounge was empty... to such an extent that the woman operating the ticketing machine had to shoo people along... and I thought: ah, I'm surrounded by Swiss again...

Another unrelated question, on large trucks at the base of the windscreen is a little square made up of small lights. Random sides on the square are lit up. What are these used for?

Another even more unrelated question. What's the story with green bins? Are these only for uncooked kitchen waste, or can garden stuff go in there too? I've heard urban legends from people here that cooked food and meat etc can't go in there because it attracts rats and mice at the central composting/gas depot. Yet rats and mice will eat pretty much anything...
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 22.06.2007, 17:08
Lob's Avatar
Lob Lob is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: -
Posts: 7,795
Groaned at 42 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 1,973 Times in 1,060 Posts
Lob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond reputeLob has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Your questions on Switzerland: ask the Swiss guy

Quote:
View Post
Another unrelated question, on large trucks at the base of the windscreen is a little square made up of small lights. Random sides on the square are lit up. What are these used for?
you also see corresponding versions on posts in certain locations. I believe it is a controlling mechanism for mid-weight trucks - they get sent in certain routes.
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 22.06.2007, 17:34
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,975
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Your questions on Switzerland: ask the Swiss guy

Quote:
View Post
you also see corresponding versions on posts in certain locations. I believe it is a controlling mechanism for mid-weight trucks - they get sent in certain routes.
Doesn't it also tell how long (well, how far) the driver has been driving with out a break?
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 22.06.2007, 17:39
Gautsch's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toyota-city, Japan
Posts: 69
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Gautsch has no particular reputation at present
Quote:
View Post
Ok, here's one for the Swiss guys. My wife's girlfriends all say their Swiss husbands will sit down to pee and that is the custom when at home. Is this true?
no, it isn't. I don't always sit down, but I have to admit that I do in the following situations:

1. When I'm tired..poor aim, too lazy to stand. Sitting is much easier
2. When I'm at female friends' places. The guys don't care
3. When I'm sexually aroused..for obvious reasons

It might be a kind of conditioning some men go through, but certainly not everyone. Most of my male friends never sit down, but some do, so there you go.

Quote:
View Post
Ok, I am swiss too now but I still haven't figured out
a) why do you spend so much time saying good bye? i mean we are sitting in houses, restaurants anyplace! for hours and then when we stand up to go then it takes another half hour at least to actually leave...
we're bad at it and don't know how to do it properly. so it ends up taking forever. some people confuse it with politeness but that's simply not true. also the kissing takes time. see below.

Quote:
b) what is with all the kissing even people you have only seen once before?
only the girls, and what's wrong with that? I like kissing girls and it's a good excuse to kiss other girls, even when you're in a relationship. It can take forever though. I was so drunk one night i forgot to take my cigarette out of my mouth and gave a girl 3 kisses with my cigarette in a corner of my mouth. I'll never forget the look on her face. have since quit smoking.

Quote:
View Post
Is it me, or do some swiss blink instead of winking?
it's just you

Quote:
View Post
I have a question about swiss culture;

I feel like I live in a big superego here.

I beleive in social order, citizenship, harmony, etc, and I beleive we should all participate out of good will. Thought CH was pretty much my kinda place.

More and more though I find the right thing is done here out of fear, not goodwill. And when you slip ( I am human! HUMAN!) whoever is around will allow themselves to triumphantly and mercilessly chastise you for it!
they do? can you be a little more specific here?

Quote:
I find this so wrong and destructive and I wonder if I am just being paranoid. This feeling of living with a punishment happy parent at all times kind of stresses me out. But I hate finding a problem with this place, I like it here
There is a strong sense of what is 'wrong' or 'right' but I think that American Christians are much worse. Where you from, mate?

l.

Quote:
PS you know what's funny Gautsch? When I am in doubt here, I act like I would with the Japanese. I find there are a lot of parallels between CH and Nihon.
yes there are

Quote:
View Post
Gautsch,

why is everything in Switzerland so angular (could not think of a better word)?

Seems like most of the new houses, infrastructure and machines are so... well angular! Has this something to with the order?
yes I know and I hate it!! it's Herzog & DeMeuron and their evil schemes of architectural world domination through concrete, glass and steel. it's a global trend though. OTOH, I though Switzerland was bad till I moved to Japan. Even the cars here are cubic.

Quote:
Ok, here's 3 questions! No offence intended to anybody.

First... What is it about Swiss people and standing around blocking doorways? I've seen it on several occasions. For example a tram goes past and 2/3 of it is empty, but the last third is jam-packed. There's lots of empty space but people just stand just inside the doorway where they got on, and block the entrance. Similarly in bars - people stand around the doorway and block it for other people (I saw this in Iroquois about a month ago). I also saw it in City airport in London while waiting for a flight back to Zurich - once people had their ticket run through the machine in the departure lounge they immediately stopped, and a massive crowd built up just inside the entrance, even though the rest of the lounge was empty... to such an extent that the woman operating the ticketing machine had to shoo people along... and I thought: ah, I'm surrounded by Swiss again...

hehe, good observation. the tram bunching has to do with people having to get off and not wanting to fight through that big crowd at the entrance
so instead of sitting down they just join the bunch and loiter. as for other places: Swiss people are heavily territorial. At a party in an Anglo country it's normal for people to just walk around and talk to strangers. Swiss people are very reluctant to do that (unless they've had enough Chablis and then anything goes) and so they just gather around their friends and for a bunch of humans. Very annoying if it happens to be at the entrance. If you find one of those crowds, you know that there hasn't been enough white wine served yet.


Quote:
Another unrelated question, on large trucks at the base of the windscreen is a little square made up of small lights. Random sides on the square are lit up. What are these used for?
uh..i..don't know what you're talking about. is that a new thing? haven't been back for about 3 years..




Quote:
Another even more unrelated question. What's the story with green bins? Are these only for uncooked kitchen waste, or can garden stuff go in there too? I've heard urban legends from people here that cooked food and meat etc can't go in there because it attracts rats and mice at the central composting/gas depot. Yet rats and mice will eat pretty much anything...
the ones in parks with a picture of a dog that's taking a dump and is filled with dog turds in black plastic bags? I don't actually know what those are for..

Last edited by Gautsch; 22.06.2007 at 18:16. Reason: merged some consecutive posts
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Gautsch for this useful post:
  #108  
Old 22.06.2007, 18:18
tak
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Your questions on Switzerland: ask the Swiss guy

Quote:
View Post

only the girls, and what's wrong with that? I like kissing girls and it's a good excuse to kiss other girls, even when you're in a relationship. It can take forever though. I was so drunk one night i forgot to take my cigarette out of my mouth and giving a girl 3 kisses. I'll never forget the look on her face. have since quit smoking.

..
ha! gautsch, thanx fro the clearing up this. When you said that, I just realised that noone kisses my husband but they all come to me...Hmmmm....They all told me that this is the swiss way to do things... I have to think of some "punishment" for next time.
As for the ciggie thing...do I know you?

tak
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 22.06.2007, 18:28
Gautsch's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toyota-city, Japan
Posts: 69
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Gautsch has no particular reputation at present
Re: Your questions on Switzerland: ask the Swiss guy

Quote:
View Post
ha! gautsch, thanx fro the clearing up this. When you said that, I just realised that noone kisses my husband but they all come to me...Hmmmm....They all told me that this is the swiss way to do things... I have to think of some "punishment" for next time.
As for the ciggie thing...do I know you?

tak
you're welcome

maybe we do know each other. post a picture of yourself, looking incredulous, disgusted, tipsy, and in utter disbelief (which again ties in with looking incredulous)
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 22.06.2007, 18:31
tak
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Your questions on Switzerland: ask the Swiss guy

Quote:
View Post
More and more though I find the right thing is done here out of fear, not goodwill. And when you slip ( I am human! HUMAN!) whoever is around will allow themselves to triumphantly and mercilessly chastise you for it!

I find this so wrong and destructive and I wonder if I am just being paranoid. This feeling of living with a punishment happy parent at all times kind of stresses me out. But I hate finding a problem with this place, I like it here

.
If you are the guy that parks his car illegally in front of my house and even washes it -again in front of my house- with water from the fountain next time I will not just tell you not to but I will call the police.
Also If you are the person that never picks her dog's shit from the pavement, making my mother slip and hurt herself plus having dog shit all over her, just pray I do not catch you on the act...

But honestly, do you really think that about the swiss? I believe exactly the contrary. What they do and how they behave is just social awareness which they have in a high level. People have come up to me to tell me that my bag is open or that i dropped my wallet. I am so happy living here I would never go back to my own european "first" world country.

tak
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 22.06.2007, 18:52
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 69
Groaned at 8 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
William Tell has slipped a little
Re: Your questions on Switzerland: ask the Swiss guy

I have two questions:

1. Why do the Swiss only get drunk at football games?

2. What unites Swiss people? It is not the language. Is it the land, culture, or you are just squeezed together by Germany, France and Italy?
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 22.06.2007, 19:01
Gautsch's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toyota-city, Japan
Posts: 69
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Gautsch has no particular reputation at present
Re: Your questions on Switzerland: ask the Swiss guy

Quote:
View Post

1. Why do the Swiss only get drunk at football games?
they don't. they also get drunk during the fasnacht, at weddings, in pubs, parties, live music gigs, social gatherings of most kinds..dunno where you've been hiding really! Swiss people love drinking. Tehy just don't usually get as blind drunk as Brits, which, in my eyes, is a good thing!
Quote:
2. What unites Swiss people? It is not the language. Is it the land, culture, or you are just squeezed together by Germany, France and Italy?
it's Eidgenossenschaft.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Gautsch for this useful post:
  #113  
Old 22.06.2007, 19:02
Bartholemew's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: back in Zurich (but pining for Brussels periodically)
Posts: 894
Groaned at 5 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 622 Times in 320 Posts
Bartholemew has a reputation beyond reputeBartholemew has a reputation beyond reputeBartholemew has a reputation beyond reputeBartholemew has a reputation beyond reputeBartholemew has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Your questions on Switzerland: ask the Swiss guy

Can't figure out if you mean the big green ones for garden weeds and such or the little green ones you see sometimes on peoples' window sills - compost buckets. Or something else?

Quote:
View Post
What's the story with green bins? Are these only for uncooked kitchen waste, or can garden stuff go in there too? I've heard urban legends from people here that cooked food and meat etc can't go in there because it attracts rats and mice at the central composting/gas depot. Yet rats and mice will eat pretty much anything...
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 22.06.2007, 19:10
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,975
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Your questions on Switzerland: ask the Swiss guy

Quote:
View Post
Can't figure out if you mean the big green ones for garden weeds and such or the little green ones you see sometimes on peoples' window sills - compost buckets. Or something else?
Green compost bins or brown bins for "house hold waste" should never have meat or fats in them. (even your own garden compost). The meat putrefies and can bring diseases. Plus it stinks & attracts all kind of vermin, flies, etc (also bringing diseases).
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank miniMia for this useful post:
  #115  
Old 22.06.2007, 19:33
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 69
Groaned at 8 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
William Tell has slipped a little
Re: Your questions on Switzerland: ask the Swiss guy

Thanks. I knew it was something like Eidgenossenschaft. I have been asking this question for 10 years now, and this is the first time I get a straight answer. Why do the Swiss keep this a secret?

Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 22.06.2007, 19:55
Gautsch's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toyota-city, Japan
Posts: 69
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Gautsch has no particular reputation at present
Re: Your questions on Switzerland: ask the Swiss guy

Quote:
View Post
Thanks. I knew it was something like Eidgenossenschaft. I have been asking this question for 10 years now, and this is the first time I get a straight answer. Why do the Swiss keep this a secret?

they don't but I guess it takes a long time to explain it and you can't just insert a wikipedia quote in an everyday conversation. god bless the internetz..
I'm always surprised that people DON'T know this. You may thank me though, using the 'Thanks' button
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Gautsch for this useful post:
  #117  
Old 22.06.2007, 20:06
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 69
Groaned at 8 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
William Tell has slipped a little
Re: Your questions on Switzerland: ask the Swiss guy

Your answer then is Culture. Switzerland is Switzerland because of the culture?
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 22.06.2007, 20:23
Gautsch's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toyota-city, Japan
Posts: 69
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Gautsch has no particular reputation at present
Re: Your questions on Switzerland: ask the Swiss guy

Quote:
View Post
Your answer then is Culture. Switzerland is Switzerland because of the culture?
uh, no, not really. well, ok, a little. culture is a blurry term that incorporates too much. It's more concepts that are important to Swiss people such as:
  • neutrality (which ties in with independence)
  • wanting to be neither German, Italian, French or especially not Austrian (well, maybe except for Romands, who sometimes would like to be more French than Swiss it seems)
  • money. Swiss people like having dough. who doesn't really?
  • selfishness (ties in with money, or the reluctance to share it with others
  • the language thing. Swiss people actually think it's cool to have 4 languages in a tiny country (well, everyone except students who have to learn them)
I'm sure there are lots of other ones but these are the main ones. I think. thanks for the thanks btw
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old 22.06.2007, 21:30
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,975
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Your questions on Switzerland: ask the Swiss guy

Quote:
View Post
  • (well, maybe except for Romands, who sometimes would like to be more French than Swiss it seems)
From what I've gathered so far, I think this only applies to Genevans, not Romands in general. A Genevan friend told me this is because during WWII the Swiss military policy was not to defend Geneva in case of attack. It sits outside the "anti tank barrier" zone.
Not sure how much this is true as I only heard this from one family.
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 23.06.2007, 12:27
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bern
Posts: 46
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
cyrat has no particular reputation at present
Re: What you've always wanted to know about Switzerland: Ask the Swiss Guy

Quote:
View Post
This is something that is contagious. We were in Brussels last week and I found myself saying to my wife very seriously: "Look! Did you see how dirty that police car was!"

An this is only after a year of living here.
Ditto for us, except substitute the words "Brussels" and "police car" for "Italy" and "trains"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
general questions




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello some questions about swiss life and Swiss men from an Irish girl lou.m Daily life 44 03.03.2015 12:30
East Asian guy in Switzerland & Swiss Girls truthseeker Daily life 84 19.08.2009 18:11
How to approach a swiss guy or a grl for friendship.... hksingh83 General off-topic 45 26.04.2007 17:15
CANADIAN PASSPORT: questions about Swiss Residence Permit. Spatzl Permits/visas/government 1 11.01.2007 12:05


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0