English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Daily life (https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-life/)
-   -   EF Summer Ball 2011? (https://www.englishforum.ch/daily-life/92725-ef-summer-ball-2011-a.html)

eyebeebe 31.08.2010 14:19

EF Summer Ball 2011?
 
Following on from the Ąwhere can I wear my tux threadď from a couple of months ago, I was wondering if there would be any interest in an EF Summer Ball next year (assuming we have a summer of course)? I searched and couldn't find any similar threads. Mods as it isn't officially an event can you leave the thread here please.

I think it would have to take place in or near Zurich, as thatís where the largest number of EFers abode and itís easy to get to from most parts of the country, on a Saturday evening.

At the moment I am just trying to gauge if there is enough interest and how much people would be prepared to pay for a ticket. I have some ideas for both numbers in my head, but would rather keep them to myself and see what the crowd has to say. If it seems like there is a good possibility of raising a reasonable budget in terms of heads and ticket price, I will start looking more seriously for venues/quotes etc and asking for people to join a committee to organise it. Iím not looking to make any money out of this, so all monies will be ploughed back into the event or potentially donated to a worthy cause of EFís choosing.

My initial thoughts regarding what would be included in the ticket price would be:
Welcome drink
Four course dinner (starter, main, dessert, cheese)
Half a bottle of wine per person on the table for dinner
Band/DJ

Entertainment throughout the evening could include dancing, a pledges auction/raffle for charity, perhaps a speaker and some other ideas I have. Again dependant upon budget and Swiss prices!

Initial thoughts for the venue are a hotel, so that people who wanted to come from afar could stay over, however this has its drawbacks Ė namely the cost of a hotel room in ZŁrich is outrageous and there could be issues with not using their catering/bar exclusively (see below).

If there is enough interest to go forward, I will of course be contacting some of the obvious suspects regarding supplying to the event. For the guys who could be interested but donít have a dinner suit/tuxedo and donít want to buy one especially for the event, I would try and organise a group discount on hiring them. Ladies it is an excuse for a new frock.

So would you be interested? If so how many guests would you anticipate bringing (if any) and how much would you be prepared to pay per head for a well organised event with good food/drink/entertainment?

PlantHead 31.08.2010 14:23

Re: EF Summer Ball
 
If you are going to do this and I would be interested , I would have a chat with Uncle Max about money and how to make the Ball not run at a loss. He tried the same thing with a Christmas party a few years ago. It was a great night but it ended up losing money.

Upthehatters2008 31.08.2010 14:25

Re: EF Summer Ball
 
Count me/us in, can I wear jeans ?

Uncle Max 31.08.2010 14:26

Re: EF Summer Ball
 
Get the money in advance. People - you'll be surprised how many - say they are coming and will pay on the door... then don't arrive.

Baby. Holding. The. Left. Be. You'll.

Ps, no Party by commitee either. Make a few calls, set an agenda, determine what's happening and where and tell people the details. And price. And payment options. Build it and they'll come.

Go for it.

Sutter 31.08.2010 14:30

Re: EF Summer Ball
 
cool idea count us in can i bring lot of guests?

Begga 31.08.2010 14:32

Re: EF Summer Ball
 
Sounds fun.
And thanks for giving us a whole year to find a date. Speaking off... I just realized that there is a Dating Group in the community... it was always just a question of when... :D

eyebeebe 31.08.2010 14:48

Re: EF Summer Ball
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Max (Post 927072)
Get the money in advance. People - you'll be surprised how many - say they are coming and will pay on the door... then don't arrive.

Baby. Holding. The. Left. Be. You'll.

Ps, no Party by commitee either. Make a few calls, set an agenda, determine what's happening and where and tell people the details. And price. And payment options. Build it and they'll come.

Go for it.

Wouldn't dream of taking money on the door. How would we arrange the place names ;)

It wouldn't be party by committee. I just think there will be a lot to organise, so it would be good to share the load.

So a few yes already but no one committing to a price?

eyebeebe 31.08.2010 14:49

Re: EF Summer Ball
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Upthehatters2008 (Post 927070)
Count me/us in, can I wear jeans ?

So long as you have a dinner suit on top. Might be a bit warm in June though!

31.08.2010 14:51

Re: EF Summer Ball
 
We would come, but no long winded speaker like at corporate Christmas parties, telling the room why they're all living their life wrong.

eyebeebe 31.08.2010 14:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutter (Post 927077)
cool idea count us in can i bring lot of guests?

Definitely. How many are you thinking?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerdy (Post 927120)
Can single people come too?

Of course. I hear Begga is looking for a date if you don't want to come alone though. :msntongue:

Quote:

Originally Posted by economisto (Post 927131)
We would come, but no long winded speaker like at corporate Christmas parties, telling the room why they're all living their life wrong.

If there were to be a speaker and this is a big if, as someone decent costs a fortune, I was thinking along the lines of a comedian, sportsperson etc. Definitely no one heavy. And when I say comedian, I promise you it won't be Tony Blair!

HashBrown 31.08.2010 14:57

Re: EF Summer Ball
 
I used to organise these sort of affairs. Would be happy to enjoy someone else doing it. :D

But of course, am happy to provide tips and lend my charm.

BasP72 31.08.2010 14:59

Re: EF Summer Ball
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyebeebe (Post 927140)
And when I say comedian, I promise you it won't be Tony Blair!

I thought he was an illusionist ?

Danieluk 31.08.2010 15:01

Re: EF Summer Ball
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyebeebe (Post 927140)
If there were to be a speaker and this is a big if, as someone decent costs a fortune, I was thinking along the lines of a comedian, sportsperson etc. Definitely no one heavy. And when I say comedian, I promise you it won't be Tony Blair!

A speaker you say...look no further than EF's own Uncle Bertrand?!

(Failing that then the Funny Laundry man might be able to find someone amusing, but I'm pretty sure worst case scenario Dean Gaffney will do it for a fiver and a Sherbert mix.)


Might I also suggest having a EF awards segment to the evening, Oscar's styleee?

Upthehatters2008 31.08.2010 15:06

Re: EF Summer Ball
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danieluk (Post 927157)
A speaker you say...look no further than EF's own Uncle Bertrand?!

(Failing that then the Funny Laundry man might be able to find someone amusing, but I'm pretty sure worst case scenario Dean Gaffney will do it for a fiver and a Sherbert mix.)


Might I also suggest having a EF awards segment to the evening, oscar's styleee?


The trolls can man the cloakrooms...

summerrain 31.08.2010 15:07

Re: EF Summer Ball
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Danieluk (Post 927157)

Might I also suggest having a EF awards segment to the evening, oscar's styleee?

Does this mean that the trolls will be coming too? :msnshock:

Fab idea though. Any excuse for a new frock!

amyjo 31.08.2010 15:09

Re: EF Summer Ball
 
Sounds fabulous! red carpet...best dressed, worst dressed...paparazzi...the works. :)

S00ty_0 31.08.2010 15:23

Re: EF Summer Ball
 
If you find a room/hall without it's own in-house sound/light system I would be happy to use my 40% discount from the company I work for and I will tech the event for free.... it would be fun.... :)

PS; forget the suit idea....informal is all I know....

Sutter 31.08.2010 15:31

Re: EF Summer Ball 2011?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyebeebe (Post 927132)
Definitely. How many are you thinking?!

Not sure i would have to know more details and ask my friends maybe 8

Guest 31.08.2010 15:32

Re: EF Summer Ball 2011?
 
I could get a new frock but my other half would rather eat durian thorns than wear a tux (you couldn't even force him to wear one at our wedding).

eyebeebe 31.08.2010 15:38

Re: EF Summer Ball
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerdy (Post 927179)
I am a star wars fan so can I dress as Yoda?

Star wars fan and asking if singles can come. Is this correlation or causation?

See my answer regarding jeans.

eyebeebe 31.08.2010 15:42

Re: EF Summer Ball
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerdy (Post 927241)
I am waiting for that female star wars fan.

I hear there is quite a queue for her :msntongue:

Sada 31.08.2010 15:50

Re: EF Summer Ball 2011?
 
hum ... and with the pics from the event ... another EF calendar?

Russkov 31.08.2010 15:52

Re: EF Summer Ball 2011?
 
I suggest name tags for people to put their forum names on. That way people can present themselves normally and not worry about it. I'd imagine some people here would feel quite silly constantly saying their nicknames out loud when asked the question.

Nickers 31.08.2010 15:53

Re: EF Summer Ball 2011?
 
I think nerdy will be more comfortable dressed as a troll :rolleyes:

Leni 31.08.2010 15:57

Re: EF Summer Ball 2011?
 
Definitely up for it!!

eyebeebe 31.08.2010 16:02

Re: EF Summer Ball 2011?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by argus (Post 927220)
I could get a new frock but my other half would rather eat durian thorns than wear a tux (you couldn't even force him to wear one at our wedding).

Come on your own or with friends and put whatever you have saved from your husband not coming into further upgrading your frock ;)

dodgyken 31.08.2010 16:04

Re: EF Summer Ball 2011?
 
IMHO

1) Get people to pay in advance - a long way in advance - in fact so far in advance that the money comes in before there is even a hint of the money going out.

2) You'll save yourself a huge amount of effort by speaking to the right people from the start. I'd avoid summer - late Autumn means you can do it inside - in a location that will supply food and wine.

3) Drink - some places allow you to bring wine and charge corkage - this "can" work

4) Gemeindes have halls you can hire - you might be able to get one of these

5) Catering. Pitch to the right audience. If the majority are happy to spend 200chf on a night - then it needs to be good. If people are paying 50chf a ticket - then they won't expect miracles.

I would open a number of polls:

1) How much are you happy to spend on a ticket
2) When would you prefer it
3) Would you prefer sit down or buffet

You'll have the basis for what people will want.

PS I know a Swiss band that could play - and are rather good.

Chuff 31.08.2010 16:06

Re: EF Summer Ball
 
Oooo I like the idea, was just eyeing up a nice new tux too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerdy (Post 927241)
I am waiting for that special female star wars fan.

I bet you are...

If you find her let me know.


Nil 31.08.2010 16:07

Re: EF Summer Ball 2011?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyebeebe (Post 927119)
Wouldn't dream of taking money on the door. How would we arrange the place names ;)

It wouldn't be party by committee. I just think there will be a lot to organise, so it would be good to share the load.

So a few yes already but no one committing to a price?

I used to work for an event compagny. You will have to do all the research and come with a pitch and a price...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sutter (Post 927077)
cool idea count us in can i bring lot of guests?

I personnally don't agree with the guests. Partners, family members ok but this is for my idea a EF events for EF members. I would enjoy to meet other people from here, not get mixed with a bunch who doesn't belong here at all!

My 2 kurus...

AlreadyPacked 31.08.2010 16:19

Re: EF Summer Ball 2011?
 
or something like this http://www.wonderlandtheatre.com/lif...lyoudrop.shtml

eyebeebe 31.08.2010 16:38

Re: EF Summer Ball 2011?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nil (Post 927300)
I used to work for an event compagny. You will have to do all the research and come with a pitch and a price...


I personnally don't agree with the guests. Partners, family members ok but this is for my idea a EF events for EF members. I would enjoy to meet other people from here, not get mixed with a bunch who doesn't belong here at all!

My 2 kurus...

Thanks for the input. As DK has said above, expectations will be very different based on the price of the ticket. I would rather have an idea of what people are prepared to pay and work to a budget. Half the people here claim to earn seven figure salaries, whereas the others think Oliver Twist had it easy. I will plan the best possible evening based on the budget available. I also have a whole events team sat right next to me. Their expertise and contacts will be being used :D

With regards to guests, I feel there is a minimum number of guests necessary to make it viable financially and create enough of an atmosphere. If that means non-EFers, I don't have an issue with that and I assume most others wouldn't, if it is the difference between it taking place and not.

SemperEadem 31.08.2010 16:46

Re: EF Summer Ball 2011?
 
80s theme 80s theme 80s theme 80s theme!!

I'll invite Molly Ringwald!


This is so legit.

Guest 31.08.2010 16:53

Re: EF Summer Ball 2011?
 
Sounds good!! But no date-clash with the Sommernachtsball, please - that's also too much fun to miss :)

http://www.sommernachts-ball.ch/imag.../pic10_big.jpg

MathNut 31.08.2010 16:54

Re: EF Summer Ball 2011?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyebeebe (Post 927374)
I would rather have an idea of what people are prepared to pay and work to a budget. Half the people here claim to earn seven figure salaries, whereas the others think Oliver Twist had it easy.

Perhaps parallel events are the solution. If you tell me where the ritzy venue is, I will engage to host a students' and ne'er-do-wells' party on the sidewalk out front. We can 'mingle' with you lot by pressing our grimy noses against the plate glass windows.


(Yes, we'd be interested. Definitely nearer the 50CHF than the 200CHF mark though.)

Guest 31.08.2010 17:49

Re: EF Summer Ball 2011?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyebeebe (Post 927285)
Come on your own or with friends and put whatever you have saved from your husband not coming into further upgrading your frock ;)


Thanks. Now that DB and Grumpy are already taken, I'll have to go with Begga or Nerdy (and they're both probably half my age, so maybe I'll go in with one on either side, helping to hold up my pimped-up zimmer-frame while I totter in my Giuseppe Zanotti heels and BCBG frock).

MrVertigo 31.08.2010 18:18

Re: EF Summer Ball 2011?
 
the objective of the ball is what exactly?

1) - an entertainment event for the EF members & guests?
or
2) - an opportunity to put faces on nicknames and get to know each other?

if it's 2), then having round tables with a seating plan won't help. people need to have freedom of movement, chat and change groups. it needs to be for EF members only.

I'd come for option 2) and pay 50-80 chf max. my focus won't be on food or drink, it'd be more on meeting people, chatting, having some background entertainment.

eyebeebe 31.08.2010 18:42

Re: EF Summer Ball 2011?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrVertigo (Post 927522)
the objective of the ball is what exactly?

1) - an entertainment event for the EF members & guests?
or
2) - an opportunity to put faces on nicknames and get to know each other?

if it's 2), then having round tables with a seating plan won't help. people need to have freedom of movement, chat and change groups. it needs to be for EF members only.

I'd come for option 2) and pay 50-80 chf max. my focus won't be on food or drink, it'd be more on meeting people, chatting, having some background entertainment.

I'm aiming at something closer to 1 to be honest. SpottyDog and I used to go to formal events quite a lot in the UK and used to enjoy it a lot. From the other thread it seems like other people do too and it isn't so common in Switzerland.

If you are after putting names to faces and aren't too bothered about food or entertainment, there are frequent drink events held in Zurich at weekends that fulfill exactly that purpose and without a cover charge. Yes it's Zurich-centric, but this event would be too, as that's where the critical mass of potential attendees needed to make this viable are too.

Eta there will be plenty of opportunity to mingle and meet people too. I envisage at the moment the event lasting 6 hours or so with no more than a couple spent at the table eating.

Sky 31.08.2010 21:15

Re: EF Summer Ball 2011?
 
But why wait until next summer ?

Why not this Christmas ?

I'd love to help out too

jako 31.08.2010 21:32

Re: EF Summer Ball 2011?
 
Not much to add from here. Great idea EBB - the wife is always complaining that she can never wear her party dresses - and yet she always need a new one if we have a big party to go to - go figure !!

And I can still fit my tux - I think :o

So come summer or Christmas - we are in !!

Begga 31.08.2010 21:36

Re: EF Summer Ball 2011?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky (Post 927692)
Why not this Christmas ?

Yeah, Christmas ball would be great! :o


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:23.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0