Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Education  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01.03.2012, 22:08
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 21
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Stacey1979 has no particular reputation at present
Swiss International School Zurich North (ISZN)

We have come across this school as a possible school for our then to be 3 year old son. Does anyone have any information or experience with this school. I see there was a website with some complaints but it seems to have been removed/deleted.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02.03.2012, 07:06
swisspea's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: From one side of lake Zurich to the other...
Posts: 5,804
Groaned at 33 Times in 22 Posts
Thanked 5,463 Times in 2,600 Posts
swisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond reputeswisspea has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss International School Zurich North (ISZN)

I think the best advice is to go through the many threads we have on 'international schools' 'bilingual schools' 'childcare' 'montessori' and 'public schools'.

The second advice is to make a 'short list' of options for your child, and then come to actually see the schools.

I was not even aware that ISZN had a programme for 3 year olds...that's a new one for me!

Is there a reason why you want an english-dominant school and not a bilingual programme for your child ? How long are you planning to live in Zurich, and what will be your general location for commuting to work ? There are *lots* of options in and around Zurich for kids - at age 3 you could also choose a really good quality english or bilingual preschool/kindergarten, and they transfer to primary school around age 6.5 - 7 in the swiss system...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02.03.2012, 07:32
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,304
Groaned at 237 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 12,188 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss International School Zurich North (ISZN)

I commend you for assigning your child to a disciplinary learning environment at such an early age, especially if you both have careers to pursue, it must be the easiest option.

After all, 3yr. olds don't need to waste time at home playing useless games with useless toys - they don't need a pre-school childhood.

The world needs more imbalanced, hyper-intelligent, over-qualified adults, who can't fend for themselves at a basic day-to-day level.

Speaking personally, as my daughters have Swiss citizenship, I was completely disappointed that they couldn't get in a couple of years military service before they started school at 6yrs. old ..... damn Swiss system bringing up mummies' girls - where's the discipline for Gawd's sake?
Reply With Quote
This user groans at TiMow for this post:
  #4  
Old 02.03.2012, 11:01
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Zurich Oberland
Posts: 524
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 470 Times in 239 Posts
woolly has an excellent reputationwoolly has an excellent reputationwoolly has an excellent reputationwoolly has an excellent reputation
Re: Swiss International School Zurich North (ISZN)

Quote:
View Post
I commend you for assigning your child to a disciplinary learning environment at such an early age, especially if you both have careers to pursue, it must be the easiest option.

After all, 3yr. olds don't need to waste time at home playing useless games with useless toys - they don't need a pre-school childhood.

The world needs more imbalanced, hyper-intelligent, over-qualified adults, who can't fend for themselves at a basic day-to-day level.

Speaking personally, as my daughters have Swiss citizenship, I was completely disappointed that they couldn't get in a couple of years military service before they started school at 6yrs. old ..... damn Swiss system bringing up mummies' girls - where's the discipline for Gawd's sake?
Did you really need to post this? The OP was asking for info on the school not for child-rearing advice. Someone must have really rattled your cage today for you to take your frustration out on an unsuspecting stranger. I suppose you expect that people who don't want to put their career on hold for 5 years should not have children, or maybe that all nurseries should be closed so that all children should play at home on their own instead? Or do you think that nursery for 2.5+ year old children at ISZN is somehow more disciplinary than any other nursery?
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank woolly for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 02.03.2012, 11:13
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: At home
Posts: 4,263
Groaned at 208 Times in 133 Posts
Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,719 Posts
Faltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond reputeFaltrad has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss International School Zurich North (ISZN)

Quote:
View Post
I commend you for assigning your child to a disciplinary learning environment at such an early age, especially if you both have careers to pursue, it must be the easiest option.

After all, 3yr. olds don't need to waste time at home playing useless games with useless toys - they don't need a pre-school childhood.

The world needs more imbalanced, hyper-intelligent, over-qualified adults, who can't fend for themselves at a basic day-to-day level.

Speaking personally, as my daughters have Swiss citizenship, I was completely disappointed that they couldn't get in a couple of years military service before they started school at 6yrs. old ..... damn Swiss system bringing up mummies' girls - where's the discipline for Gawd's sake?
Good for you. Were you put in disciplinary learning environment at age 3 yourself? Then I understand you point.

It's over now, you are a free individual, you can play with any toy you want. Momy loves you. Kiss dear.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Faltrad for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 02.03.2012, 13:33
TiMow's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fribourg
Posts: 9,304
Groaned at 237 Times in 154 Posts
Thanked 12,188 Times in 5,300 Posts
TiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond reputeTiMow has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss International School Zurich North (ISZN)

Quote:
View Post
Did you really need to post this? The OP was asking for info on the school not for child-rearing advice. Someone must have really rattled your cage today for you to take your frustration out on an unsuspecting stranger. I suppose you expect that people who don't want to put their career on hold for 5 years should not have children, or maybe that all nurseries should be closed so that all children should play at home on their own instead? Or do you think that nursery for 2.5+ year old children at ISZN is somehow more disciplinary than any other nursery?
Firstly, if someone posts on a public forum on the world wide web, then they shouldn't expect that they're just going to get back the fluffy answers that they want to read. I was purely being opinionated, as is my right, until told otherwise.

And no, my cage wasn't rattled - I'm my usual happy self; but I do find it obscene that someone is considering uprooting what is nothing more than a toddler from everything that he has ever known in his short existance, bringing him to a strange country and contemplating putting him a school (in whatever guise) at the age of three. Maybe it's already happened, as he's already in Denmark, with at least one English parent.

And, yes, in general, I believe that during a child's most informative years, up to what one would consider the generally accepted age to begin school of 5yrs., it is important that he or she has the company, guidance and security of one of their parents.

I also accept, that often, when in one's home country, sometimes there isn't always the choice for both parents not to work - despite childcare and/or private schooling eating most, if not all, of the second salary.

However, for someone who is considering moving here, in the majority of cases, this must be a career choice and not a necessity, probably hoping to improve one's lot. Therefore, taking that into account, I really don't see why this is even a consideration, until at least the family are here and can see for themselves - and then, hopefully for the sake of the child, not for another couple of years.

When it's not a necessity for both parents to work, I would ask whether those couples who want to pursue their careers, should question whether or not they should have children. CAREERS ARE NOT MORE IMPORTANT, THAN CHILDREN.


Quote:
View Post
Good for you. Were you put in disciplinary learning environment at age 3 yourself? Then I understand you point.

It's over now, you are a free individual, you can play with any toy you want. Momy loves you. Kiss dear.
No .... I was nearly normal. I started school a month short of my 5th birthday, back in the day, in the UK, when there was a new intake after Christmas, as well as in September.

And playing on my own with my toys, up until that point, I'm sure helped me to be imaginative, creative and independent, and held me in good stead for later life.

I wish I had toys to play with now, and not just projects and problems to solve - although problem solving, is another attribute that I accredit to playing with limited resources during my childhood.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank TiMow for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 02.03.2012, 14:15
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 21
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Stacey1979 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Swiss International School Zurich North (ISZN)

swisspea, thank you for your reply. and thanks for the reply to my other thread. i appreciate the advice and info. we will be in zurich for under 2 years, so an english school/nursery is our first choice. we will be visiting before we relocate and will definitely visit all the schools we have shortlisted.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02.03.2012, 14:22
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 21
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Stacey1979 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Swiss International School Zurich North (ISZN)

Quote:
View Post
Firstly, if someone posts on a public forum on the world wide web, then they shouldn't expect that they're just going to get back the fluffy answers that they want to read. I was purely being opinionated, as is my right, until told otherwise.

And no, my cage wasn't rattled - I'm my usual happy self; but I do find it obscene that someone is considering uprooting what is nothing more than a toddler from everything that he has ever known in his short existance, bringing him to a strange country and contemplating putting him a school (in whatever guise) at the age of three. Maybe it's already happened, as he's already in Denmark, with at least one English parent.

And, yes, in general, I believe that during a child's most informative years, up to what one would consider the generally accepted age to begin school of 5yrs., it is important that he or she has the company, guidance and security of one of their parents.

I also accept, that often, when in one's home country, sometimes there isn't always the choice for both parents not to work - despite childcare and/or private schooling eating most, if not all, of the second salary.

However, for someone who is considering moving here, in the majority of cases, this must be a career choice and not a necessity, probably hoping to improve one's lot. Therefore, taking that into account, I really don't see why this is even a consideration, until at least the family are here and can see for themselves - and then, hopefully for the sake of the child, not for another couple of years.

When it's not a necessity for both parents to work, I would ask whether those couples who want to pursue their careers, should question whether or not they should have children. CAREERS ARE NOT MORE IMPORTANT, THAN CHILDREN.




No .... I was nearly normal. I started school a month short of my 5th birthday, back in the day, in the UK, when there was a new intake after Christmas, as well as in September.

And playing on my own with my toys, up until that point, I'm sure helped me to be imaginative, creative and independent, and held me in good stead for later life.

I wish I had toys to play with now, and not just projects and problems to solve - although problem solving, is another attribute that I accredit to playing with limited resources during my childhood.
No, what you have done is not expressing your opinion. It is a personal attack on somebody you have never met and have no idea about.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Stacey1979 for this useful post:
  #9  
Old 02.03.2012, 14:30
poptart's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,787
Groaned at 33 Times in 28 Posts
Thanked 3,013 Times in 1,242 Posts
poptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond reputepoptart has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Swiss International School Zurich North (ISZN)

Quote:
View Post
When it's not a necessity for both parents to work, I would ask whether those couples who want to pursue their careers, should question whether or not they should have children. CAREERS ARE NOT MORE IMPORTANT, THAN CHILDREN.
It's probably no coincidence that it's usually men who shout this more often than not. Who says the parent in question has a career? Pre-school has an amazing benefit of putting kids in an environment where they can play and learn to behave around other kids. Hanging around with mom doing the shopping, cooking and laundry, especially if there's only one child, can be pretty darn boring for the child, even more because the German kids on the local playground won't play with the English speaking kids(at least they won't with my daughter). At a bi-lingual school/international school, they have a chance to make some friends.

It's difficult for me to understand why there are so many downright hateful sorts on this forum who feel compelled to belittle others who may choose a different option than the 'traditional' 1950s nuclear family.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank poptart for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 06.07.2012, 12:09
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Wallisellen
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SaritaG has no particular reputation at present
Swiss International School Zurich North (ISZN)


Hi, I am having daughter 3.5 year old and planning to send her Swiss International School Zurich North (ISZN), Wallisellen. Does anyone have any information or experience with this school or any other nice bilingual school is there. Please share your knowlege or experience.

Thanks inadvance.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06.07.2012, 13:28
telandy's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Thurgau
Posts: 2,043
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 584 Times in 370 Posts
telandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputationtelandy has an excellent reputation
Re: Swiss International School Zurich North (ISZN)

It may have changed over the last few years - background reading:-

https://sites.google.com/site/experiencesatiszn/home
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09.07.2012, 09:25
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 21
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Stacey1979 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Swiss International School Zurich North (ISZN)

SaritaG - my 3 year old son will be starting at ISZN in August. I had heard that there were some issues when we were looking for schools, but the issues seemed to be with the high school - and I couldn't find out too much detailed information. When we visited the school we were happy with the classrooms, teachers etc. The teachers seemed genuinely warm and welcoming. In fact, we actually got a better feeling about ISZN than the Nursery department at Winterthur for a few reasons. My son has had 2 trial afternoons and has been happy when he comes home.

Telandy - thank you for providing the link to the complaints website. I must admit that although that was 2 years ago, it still makes me a bit nervous about the school.

I would like to think that a lot of the issues have been resolved since 2010 but the only way to really find out is if we get some information from parents who have kids at ISZN now. Specifically the Nursery/Kindergarten classes. My information comes from a limited experience of the school.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 13.09.2012, 09:08
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 21
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Stacey1979 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Swiss International School Zurich North (ISZN)

Just some feedback about ISZN. My son has been there for a month now and is so happy. The teachers are great, parents are lovely and I am happy with our decision. I'm sure that there will be some annoyances along the way (as there always are) but in my opinion, it is not the same school as described on the complaints website.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 13.12.2012, 16:37
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
aggiekam has no particular reputation at present
Re: Swiss International School Zurich North (ISZN)

Dear Stacey,

Just a quick message, if I may, to inquire whether you still continue satisfied with ISZN.
We are moving to Zurich in January, 2013 and I am considering enrolment for my 3-year old in ISZN. Feedback from parents, whose small ones are enrolled in that school, would be so great.
Thank you in advance.
Happy holidays!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 14.12.2012, 19:25
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zurich
Posts: 21
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Stacey1979 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Swiss International School Zurich North (ISZN)

Hi aggiekam

Yes, we are still very happy there. The staff in nursery are fantastic. I would be happy to answer more specific questions if you want to pm me.

Stacey
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 20.02.2013, 08:15
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Zuri Oberland
Posts: 24
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Malibu2 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Swiss International School Zurich North (ISZN)

ISZN has changed greatly since the bad press a few years back, I would say the teething problems have diminished. A few parents had issues with the upper management of the school.
The lower school has huge classes with lots of space and the upper school has it's own building with room for growth. Both campuses have proper teachers with proper degrees and equipment.
Check it out if you are looking for International Schools...it might be to your liking.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 20.02.2013, 09:50
Nixi's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: GR & ZH
Posts: 373
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 259 Times in 147 Posts
Nixi is considered knowledgeableNixi is considered knowledgeableNixi is considered knowledgeable
Re: Swiss International School Zurich North (ISZN)

I'm a bit worried about your mention of huge classes. There may well be a lot of space, but many parents would probably prefer smaller classes which would provide more individual attention ( especially for the younger pupils).
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 20.02.2013, 10:09
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Zuri Oberland
Posts: 24
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Malibu2 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Swiss International School Zurich North (ISZN)

Quote:
View Post
I'm a bit worried about your mention of huge classes. There may well be a lot of space, but many parents would probably prefer smaller classes which would provide more individual attention ( especially for the younger pupils).
i meant huge class rooms, not pupils per class. Sorry for the confusion.
of course parents are into more individualized teaching, thus the reason many send their kids to internationa schools, plus the mobility factor with the curriculum taut, whether UK, IB or other...
For potential world movers it is an option worth checking into.
Once again, sorry for the confusion on class size and class room size...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Malibu2 for this useful post:
  #19  
Old 28.04.2014, 23:36
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: 8303
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Zara007 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Swiss International School Zurich North (ISZN)

Quote:
View Post
We have come across this school as a possible school for our then to be 3 year old son. Does anyone have any information or experience with this school. I see there was a website with some complaints but it seems to have been removed/deleted.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Stacey check this out:
https://sites.google.com/site/experi...schools-review
.
Teachers are nice but academic level needs to be reviewed (Huge involvement of parents needed) Owned by 1 person (A non profit organization, this says it all...) Intercommunity school in Zumikon or SIS Winterthur would be my recommendation, keep off ISZN!!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 28.04.2014, 23:50
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: 8303
Posts: 4
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Zara007 has no particular reputation at present
Re: Swiss International School Zurich North (ISZN)

Quote:
View Post
Hi Stacey check this out:
https://sites.google.com/site/experi...schools-review
.
Teachers are nice but academic level needs to be reviewed (Huge involvement of parents needed) Owned by 1 person (A non profit organization, this says it all...) Intercommunity school in Zumikon or SIS Winterthur would be my recommendation, keep off ISZN!!

No changes since 4 years since all children moved from school and i guess this will be repeated soon.... I experienced it myself the principle showed his real face and threatened us as we asked too many questions about firing well experienced teachers and being replaced by cheaper personal with less skills. Parents still paying 25k CHF per Year for less academic skills of teachers, so parents involvement is huge for volunteering and homework and charities (which still do not pay out to charities... Teachers of ISZN send their children to ICS Zumikon although they would have 50% off at ISZN, i guess that says it all....
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Swiss International School, Zurich Pepper Family matters/health 3 19.04.2010 15:23
Swiss International School Basel - any good? ekate23 Family matters/health 45 07.01.2010 22:51
Swiss school vs International school poppywoo Family matters/health 4 07.08.2009 21:02
International school or Swiss schools ??? epistophile Family matters/health 32 21.04.2009 20:34
Inter Community School of Zurich/Zurich International School ukgalch Family matters/health 13 05.07.2008 00:02


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:17.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0