Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Education  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07.02.2014, 14:08
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Guimaraes
Posts: 15
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
kingjrob40 has no particular reputation at present
How to get a position at an international school

Hello,

Ive benn in Switzerland for about a year now and currently work as a part time basketball coach in a international school. I played basketball professionally and now I play in the second league in Switzerland. The income i generate from both the school and basketball is not enough in the long run so I really would like a fixed position with the international school. The thing is I dont know the requirements here in Switzerland to work as a teacher or in administration. i have a Masters degree in Management, im hoping that can give me an advantage if anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it! Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07.02.2014, 14:10
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Border ZH/SZ
Posts: 135
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 107 Times in 57 Posts
swissmaid7 has earned some respectswissmaid7 has earned some respect
Re: How to get a position at an international school

Quote:
View Post
Hello,

Ive benn in Switzerland for about a year now and currently work as a part time basketball coach in a international school. I played basketball professionally and now I play in the second league in Switzerland. The income i generate from both the school and basketball is not enough in the long run so I really would like a fixed position with the international school. The thing is I dont know the requirements here in Switzerland to work as a teacher or in administration. i have a Masters degree in Management, im hoping that can give me an advantage if anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it! Thanks.
there's been quite a lot written about this, have you searched the forums?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07.02.2014, 14:32
nigelr's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Aargau
Posts: 1,712
Groaned at 118 Times in 59 Posts
Thanked 2,140 Times in 942 Posts
nigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond reputenigelr has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to get a position at an international school

If you already work part-time in an international school, why not ask them what you need? Maybe they can even help you get started or sponsor you.
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank nigelr for this useful post:
  #4  
Old 07.02.2014, 16:29
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Guimaraes
Posts: 15
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
kingjrob40 has no particular reputation at present
Re: How to get a position at an international school

By the time I go to practice all of the teachers are gone. The athletiic director is always busy, never time to sit and talk. Ill try again to have a sit down with him.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07.02.2014, 16:35
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Wadenswil
Posts: 150
Groaned at 8 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 148 Times in 76 Posts
stef3232 is considered knowledgeablestef3232 is considered knowledgeablestef3232 is considered knowledgeable
Re: How to get a position at an international school

Quote:
View Post
By the time I go to practice all of the teachers are gone. The athletiic director is always busy, never time to sit and talk. Ill try again to have a sit down with him.

Another hint,

maybe speak to your HR dept about qualifications. Develop a road map for yourself and plow ahead.


You are already one step ahead by being part of the school in a great way. I am sure within your network you can do something.

Although its hard, thinking out of the box can help, but dont go too far, people start looking at you weird

Edit: You ever hang out with the ''decision makers'', i.e. at parties or drinks?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07.02.2014, 16:36
Assassin's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chasing clouds
Posts: 4,023
Groaned at 180 Times in 123 Posts
Thanked 11,558 Times in 3,148 Posts
Assassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond reputeAssassin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to get a position at an international school

Migros or Coop might be able to use you to stack the top shelves
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Assassin for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 07.02.2014, 16:43
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 11,622
Groaned at 95 Times in 90 Posts
Thanked 20,361 Times in 9,008 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to get a position at an international school

Here are a few threads that might help. I know there was another one recently but I can't seem to find it. The questions might not be exactly the same as yours, but I think are similar enough that you might get some useful information. Good luck.

How to become a teacher, already have a BA

What is necessary to become a teacher here?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07.02.2014, 16:46
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 7,077
Groaned at 132 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 8,111 Times in 3,659 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to get a position at an international school

If you're already working as a basketball coach and it's an international school. you might not need anything to teach PE full time, ask them.

A state school you'd need a degree and a teaching qualification, but International schools can do what they like I think.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08.02.2014, 01:15
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Guimaraes
Posts: 15
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
kingjrob40 has no particular reputation at present
Re: How to get a position at an international school

Quote:
View Post
Migros or Coop might be able to use you to stack the top shelves
Was that suppose to be some kind of insult Mr Assassin? My grandmother is more creative....two dumbs down!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08.02.2014, 01:18
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Guimaraes
Posts: 15
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
kingjrob40 has no particular reputation at present
Re: How to get a position at an international school

Quote:
View Post
Here are a few threads that might help. I know there was another one recently but I can't seem to find it. The questions might not be exactly the same as yours, but I think are similar enough that you might get some useful information. Good luck.

How to become a teacher, already have a BA

What is necessary to become a teacher here?
Thanks, ill take a look
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08.02.2014, 07:32
grumpygrapefruit's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: London
Posts: 6,420
Groaned at 38 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 17,738 Times in 4,539 Posts
grumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond reputegrumpygrapefruit has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to get a position at an international school

Quote:
View Post
Was that suppose to be some kind of insult Mr Assassin? My grandmother is more creative....two dumbs down!
I think you missed the obvious joke there
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank grumpygrapefruit for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 08.02.2014, 08:13
Wallabies's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Winterthur
Posts: 3,219
Groaned at 311 Times in 176 Posts
Thanked 3,314 Times in 1,577 Posts
Wallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond reputeWallabies has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to get a position at an international school

Quote:
View Post
By the time I go to practice all of the teachers are gone. The athletiic director is always busy, never time to sit and talk. Ill try again to have a sit down with him.
Do you really want a job, if you really do one makes time and effort
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08.02.2014, 22:56
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Guimaraes
Posts: 15
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
kingjrob40 has no particular reputation at present
Re: How to get a position at an international school

Quote:
View Post
Was that suppose to be some kind of insult Mr Assassin? My grandmother is more creative....two dumbs down!
Alright if that was a joke then you can do better
If it was a insult .... You can go kick rocks!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09.02.2014, 00:02
Island Monkey's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wallis
Posts: 7,077
Groaned at 132 Times in 95 Posts
Thanked 8,111 Times in 3,659 Posts
Island Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to get a position at an international school

Quote:
View Post
Alright if that was a joke then you can do better
If it was a insult .... You can go kick rocks!
It was a joke… Basketballer player… Tall…. top shelves!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Island Monkey for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 09.02.2014, 15:53
Kroyman's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Reinach
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Kroyman has no particular reputation at present
Re: How to get a position at an international school

Most good international schools require you to have a teaching degree or certificate and degree. Most schools also want you to have teaching experience. And no, you can't just walk into a PE job just because you can play or coach. It is totally different. Where do you live? It might be a good idea to ask the Director of the school you coach at. The Athletic Director doesn't always teach at schools.

You can also compile your c.v. and send off to schools around the country. I am a qualified PE teacher and have been teaching for 18 years. I work in a big international school here in Switzerland and have a few contacts. If you message me and give me a copy of your c.v. I might be able to help?
Reply With Quote
The following 3 users would like to thank Kroyman for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 09.02.2014, 16:42
Tuborg's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vaud
Posts: 512
Groaned at 32 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 683 Times in 265 Posts
Tuborg has a reputation beyond reputeTuborg has a reputation beyond reputeTuborg has a reputation beyond reputeTuborg has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to get a position at an international school

Some interesting and informative posts here.

Switzerland is quite a desirable destination on the international teaching circuit. If you wish to obtain a teaching position here, my advice would be to proceed as follows:

It is unlikely that you will obtain a tenured position as a coach without a teaching qualification. Schools make a distinction between someone who is a coach and someone who is a teacher (I am not going to comment on whether this is right or wrong - it is just the way it is). So what do you do?

1. Decide what it is that you really wish to do - teach or coach (by teaching I, of course, include PE teachers).
2. If you wish to coach, then gain some coaching qualifications and be prepared to move around to coach in 2 or 3 schools a week.
3. If you wish to teach, then try an get another string to your bow. You have a masters level qualification in Management, so would you be able to teach Business and Management at the IB Level? If so, then start looking at offering this at your current establishment.
4. Look into studying for the iPGCE (or local equivalent). This will give you the pedagogical qualifications that are required to teach at most of the better International Schools.

If you do not fancy going down the pedagogical route then give teaching a miss.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10.02.2014, 11:31
Kroyman's Avatar
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Reinach
Posts: 11
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Kroyman has no particular reputation at present
Re: How to get a position at an international school

Tuborg, teaching and coaching are very different.

You need a degree to teach and you don't really need anything to coach in schools, just experience and enthusiasm. I don't think just experience and enthusiasm will be enough in a school as a PE teacher.

Teaching and coaching are very different. If you teach PE you really need to know all the sports in some detail, not just one. You need to know all the theory. You may need to teach dance and gymnastics. You may need to teach health. You might have to do marking. You may be involved in curriculum such as the IB and have to teach Sports Science or mark personal projects or extended essays.

So Kingjrob, if you want to be taken seriously as a teacher I would try to get the qualification (PGCE) or equivalent.

Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Kroyman for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 10.02.2014, 11:53
Tuborg's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vaud
Posts: 512
Groaned at 32 Times in 18 Posts
Thanked 683 Times in 265 Posts
Tuborg has a reputation beyond reputeTuborg has a reputation beyond reputeTuborg has a reputation beyond reputeTuborg has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to get a position at an international school

Quote:
View Post
Tuborg, teaching and coaching are very different.

You need a degree to teach and you don't really need anything to coach in schools, just experience and enthusiasm. I don't think just experience and enthusiasm will be enough in a school as a PE teacher.
Perhaps what I wrote did not come out as I intended it to.

What I meant to say is that there is a difference between being a teacher and a coach. A member of the PE staff in a school is a teacher - no different from a maths teacher or a history teacher, for example. Therefore it is very unlikely that a coach will get hired as a PE teacher without any pedagogical training.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11.02.2014, 11:42
Newbie 1st class
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Guimaraes
Posts: 15
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
kingjrob40 has no particular reputation at present
Re: How to get a position at an international school

Quote:
View Post
Most good international schools require you to have a teaching degree or certificate and degree. Most schools also want you to have teaching experience. And no, you can't just walk into a PE job just because you can play or coach. It is totally different. Where do you live? It might be a good idea to ask the Director of the school you coach at. The Athletic Director doesn't always teach at schools.

You can also compile your c.v. and send off to schools around the country. I am a qualified PE teacher and have been teaching for 18 years. I work in a big international school here in Switzerland and have a few contacts. If you message me and give me a copy of your c.v. I might be able to help?
Thanks! I would gladly send you my CV.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
coaching, international schools, teaching jobs




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to get an admission at ETH Zurich? ShazzyK Education 93 02.03.2018 12:33
Teaching at an International School Crutcheeees Employment 20 29.11.2016 22:05
How much is the hourly rate for an English teacher at a language school in Zurich? fatjan Employment 0 06.10.2013 22:36
How to get to an English-speaker at Cablecom Customer Service. Roan TV/internet/telephone 5 27.10.2010 18:45


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:15.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0