Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Education  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 19.06.2019, 23:01
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
alpharun has no particular reputation at present
Kindergarten and temporary housing

Hello, my wife and I have been wondering about the logistics of moving over to Zurich later this year and how would we make things work with the local kindergartens. One of our children will be eligible to start this school year. As I understand the kindergarten will be assigned based on our address. However, the plan is to initially start in some corporate housing provided by the company where I'll be working at and in the meantime look for a permanent place. So, a couple of questions arise with this plan:

1) Is it only possible to have a kindergarten assigned to our child once we are at a permanent address? It seems to me that if the initial corp housing address is used for kindergarten selection and we move to a different area of the city, then a new kindergarten would need to be selected.

2) Is it feasible to actually come to Zurich earlier to try to find a permanent apartment? I think to have a chance at getting an actual apartment one needs their residence permit but to have that one also needs a residence address and this is where the corp housing helps. Is the work offer enough to go around the look for apartments for rent?

I am basically trying to optimize things time-wise, so that we don't have to come, spend some time in corp housing, them move over to a permanent place only 1-2 months later and only then start kindergarten.

Thanks for any advice on the topic.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 20.06.2019, 07:29
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery, but not the SoT one
Posts: 20,264
Groaned at 350 Times in 265 Posts
Thanked 14,717 Times in 8,461 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kindergarten and temporary housing

1) No. You'd have to start in the one kindergarten and then if you move outside of that area, change to another one.

2) It's possible, but competition is fierce in the city itself and landlords/agencies have a bit pool of applicants to choose from. If you're prepared to live in less popular areas then you might be lucky.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 20.06.2019, 07:49
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
alpharun has no particular reputation at present
Re: Kindergarten and temporary housing

Quote:
View Post
1) No. You'd have to start in the one kindergarten and then if you move outside of that area, change to another one.
Thanks for the quick reply. It seems like one possibility is to enrol the child in one kindergarten first, where the corp housing is. And after 2-3 months (hopefully) when a permanent apartment is found, if it's in another area, to move it to a second kindergarten. I'm not sure how that would affect the child because of switching kindergartens so quickly but at least this may be a valid way to have a place in the kindergarten from early on. Does that sound reasonable or have I misunderstood?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 20.06.2019, 08:15
Medea Fleecestealer's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Misery, but not the SoT one
Posts: 20,264
Groaned at 350 Times in 265 Posts
Thanked 14,717 Times in 8,461 Posts
Medea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond reputeMedea Fleecestealer has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kindergarten and temporary housing

Yes, that's the way it would have to work. Bear in mind that kindergarten here is only in the mornings and one afternoon a week I think. Of course if you find permanent accommodation in the same area as the temp one there probably wouldn't be a need to change.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 20.06.2019, 09:21
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
alpharun has no particular reputation at present
Re: Kindergarten and temporary housing

Quote:
View Post
Yes, that's the way it would have to work. Bear in mind that kindergarten here is only in the mornings and one afternoon a week I think. Of course if you find permanent accommodation in the same area as the temp one there probably wouldn't be a need to change.
I see, doesn't sound perfect but is good enough I hope.
As for the kindergarten schedule in Zurich - seems like it's 5 days a week in the morning only. All else is probably negotiated additionally if available and paid. Actually, this is another big unknown for me - how available would be activities for the child in the afternoons. I suppose there will be some language support but anything else would also be nice. Where we come from it's perfectly normal to have either state of private kindergarten from morning till end of the day, so the Swiss situation is unusual for us but what can you do.

Here is the site describing the schedule for the kindergartens in Zurich if anyone is interested in the details: https://www.stadt-zuerich.ch/ssd/en/...dergarten.html
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 20.06.2019, 09:42
Sandgrounder's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ZH
Posts: 13,373
Groaned at 123 Times in 114 Posts
Thanked 24,087 Times in 9,314 Posts
Sandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond reputeSandgrounder has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kindergarten and temporary housing

Quote:
View Post
I see, doesn't sound perfect but is good enough I hope.
As for the kindergarten schedule in Zurich - seems like it's 5 days a week in the morning only. All else is probably negotiated additionally if available and paid. Actually, this is another big unknown for me - how available would be activities for the child in the afternoons. I suppose there will be some language support but anything else would also be nice. Where we come from it's perfectly normal to have either state of private kindergarten from morning till end of the day, so the Swiss situation is unusual for us but what can you do.

Here is the site describing the schedule for the kindergartens in Zurich if anyone is interested in the details: https://www.stadt-zuerich.ch/ssd/en/...dergarten.html
In response to your first question about temporary housing, why don't you move over yourself first into the temp housing and your wife and child move out when you have permanent housing? Or come over for a couple of weeks during the summer and try to secure some permanent housing ahead of time.

About the afternoon schooling, in Zurich they have something called a "Hort" which is where the kids go for lunch and afternoon care and can be available until around 6pm, five days a week. It costs (like everything) but that's why taxes are so low here - you just pay for services you need to a certain extent.

The Hort is usually next door or within a short walking distance and when the kids are still littlies then one of the carers comes and picks up the kids at the end of the morning school and troops them across to the hort. As they get older they get themselves across there.

Kids here have a lot more independence and self-responsibility. They normally encouraged to walk to school without parents from a very early age which tends to freak parents out coming from places where they are ferried to and from school in an SUV...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 20.06.2019, 10:22
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
alpharun has no particular reputation at present
Re: Kindergarten and temporary housing

Quote:
View Post
In response to your first question about temporary housing, why don't you move over yourself first into the temp housing and your wife and child move out when you have permanent housing? Or come over for a couple of weeks during the summer and try to secure some permanent housing ahead of time.
Yes, this is an option. Generally, I wouldn't feel happy being away from the family for 1-2-3 months, though. As for the other idea - I hear that finding a permanent place without the residence permit is hard. And for a residence permit my understanding is that I would need an address - hence the corp housing. Maybe the corp housing could be used earlier for this purpose.

Quote:
View Post
About the afternoon schooling, in Zurich they have something called a "Hort" which is where the kids go for lunch and afternoon care and can be available until around 6pm, five days a week. It costs (like everything) but that's why taxes are so low here - you just pay for services you need to a certain extent.

The Hort is usually next door or within a short walking distance and when the kids are still littlies then one of the carers comes and picks up the kids at the end of the morning school and troops them across to the hort. As they get older they get themselves across there.

Kids here have a lot more independence and self-responsibility. They normally encouraged to walk to school without parents from a very early age which tends to freak parents out coming from places where they are ferried to and from school in an SUV...
Yeah, heard about that. Sounds pretty nice actually especially if the kids are doing meaningful stuff. But I suppose I can know more about the Hort availability once I know which kindergarten the child will be going to.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 21.06.2019, 00:43
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Suisse Romande
Posts: 428
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 82 Times in 63 Posts
eireann has made some interesting contributions
Re: Kindergarten and temporary housing

Your permit is related to your job, not your residence address. Before you move, you will receive or can ask for a letter that your permit has been approved. This should be sufficient for renting. I think it's easier to look for something here when you are here than looking from abroad. There are so many applications for an apartment in popular areas - why would you choose someone outside the country rather than someone already here? Corporate housing gives you time to look and see where you want to live. We tried coming here briefly for a search before moving, but it was much easier to do when we were here (took temp accommodation for a few months). Also, the apartment you want to rent may not be available immediately.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 26.06.2019, 20:54
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Zurich
Posts: 1
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carrotcake has no particular reputation at present
Re: Kindergarten and temporary housing

Hi!
I saw that this topic is new and I decided to write here for an answer.
We relocated recently and our child started going to Kindergarten.
Tommorow teacher and other children are going on Kindergarten trip in the Mountain. My daughter doesn't speak foreign Languages and is so shy.
Can I refuse to let her go with them ? I am affraid that she May be lost and will be extreamly hot-35* outside.
How many times she can be absent from school for sickness, too? And for family reasons, how many times?
Am I subject to sanctions or exclusion of the Child from KG?
What are the ground rules to attend KG? Nobody told me anything.
Thank You!
Reply With Quote
This user groans at Carrotcake for this post:
  #10  
Old 04.07.2019, 21:43
Miu Miu is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: US
Posts: 35
Groaned at 7 Times in 5 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Miu has annoyed a few people around hereMiu has annoyed a few people around hereMiu has annoyed a few people around here
Re: Kindergarten and temporary housing

Hello, if your employer covers the costs, you might consider engaging the services of a relocation agent. I got one in Lausanne area and she found me housing options and our offer for the first place was accepted.
She also helped me with registering the child at the local school.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04.07.2019, 22:56
st2lemans's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lugano
Posts: 26,563
Groaned at 1,642 Times in 1,262 Posts
Thanked 30,779 Times in 14,704 Posts
st2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond reputest2lemans has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kindergarten and temporary housing

Quote:
View Post
Bear in mind that kindergarten here is only in the mornings and one afternoon a week I think.
Full days here, except for Wednesdays.

Tom
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06.07.2019, 15:49
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 4,789
Groaned at 31 Times in 27 Posts
Thanked 6,423 Times in 2,673 Posts
doropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond reputedoropfiz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Kindergarten and temporary housing

Quote:
View Post
Full days here, except for Wednesdays.

Tom
OP, just so you know: st2lemans lives in the Ticino, where the rules are not the same as in Zurich. Many, many things in Switzerland are different from canton to canton.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Temporary Housing Smatter Housing in general 3 14.12.2016 15:25
Worried about temporary housing and enrolling kids in school (then finding permanent) swissamericanlife Family matters/health 19 10.12.2012 21:54
Temporary Housing jsm66 Housing in general 1 02.10.2008 13:12
Temporary housing and that sort Arnfred Housing in general 3 18.08.2008 16:58


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0