Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Education  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20.07.2020, 16:41
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: New York
Posts: 1
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vnarayan has no particular reputation at present
Master's in Computer Science - Uni of Basel


I am currently in USA working on a H1-B visa with 15 years of experience in IT ERP Project Management. My partner got a job in Switzerland - Permit B and is moving. I am planning to move but learnt that finding a job in in Basel is difficult. I am considering pursuing a Master's in Computer Science in Uni of Basel, any recommendations and review would be greatly appreciated.

I am specifically looking for tuition cost, job prospects after completing the degree?

Best - VN
Reply With Quote
Old 20.07.2020, 20:41
3Wishes's Avatar
Moderately Amused
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bern area
Posts: 11,274
Groaned at 89 Times in 85 Posts
Thanked 19,423 Times in 8,589 Posts
3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute3Wishes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Master's in Computer Science - Uni of Basel

Welcome to the Forum.

When you say partner, do you mean spouse or same-sex partner or just girlfriend/boyfriend? If you wish to come as a dependent, your partnership situation is relevant in terms of what permit you can request/receive.

If you wish to come on your own as a student, I believe you can't work during the first 6 months of your studies and you'll need prove you have sufficient funds for living and study costs. You'll have to explain to the authorities why you need to study a Master of Computer Science in Switzerland as opposed to somewhere else in order for them to approve a study permit. If you already have a master's degree that could be a tough sell. If you're over age 30 I think there are also limits on study permits.

As a non-EU on your own (i.e. not dependent), you'll sign a document saying you agree leave after your studies are over. You do get 6 months to find a job, but again on your own as a non-EU that's not always easy even with a Swiss degree. It's not impossible though.

As for tuition and fees, I'm going to be cheeky and ask if your Google-fu is broken, especially since you say you have 15 years of IT experience. First hit for tuition University Basel: https://www.unibas.ch/en/Studies/App...ion-Fees-.html

In terms of living expenses, do a search here on EF. There are many threads about cost of living that can help you figure out what will and won't work for you and/or your partner.

Lastly, depending on how long your partner's contract is, you may want to consider whether this move is worth giving up the H1-B. It would seem visas of all kinds are getting more and more restricted, and the opportunity to go back is less certain than it was before this president.
Reply With Quote

indian, master degree, non-eu b permit

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Computer Science and Psychology Felpone Employment 1 13.10.2019 15:57
Swiss Joint Master of Science in Computer Science Benefri Education 0 18.01.2017 02:20
MSc in Computer Science at ETH, UZH or EPFL ddi Education 2 28.07.2016 00:02
ETH Zurich - Master Of Energy Science and Technology- help required Bassu789 Other/general 4 29.07.2015 15:12
choosing specialization at ETHZ for computer science master FilleParisienne24 Education 3 03.09.2013 21:31

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:37.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0