Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 13.12.2010, 13:55
Yves22's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Wadenswil
Posts: 71
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 50 Times in 26 Posts
Yves22 has made some interesting contributions
Re: I don't know what to do.. Please advice..

Sorry to hear about your ordeal.

You mentioned 8 years of experience, that means starting professionally at 18. Good for you.

Some companies may want to see you employed, but may not give a toss if the job scope is irrelevant. Furthermore, staying too long in non-finance related positions is a big negative as well.

What is your area of specialization? You may wish to consider getting professional certification (if you hadn't) e.g. CFA (financial analysis), SOA (actuary), FRM (risk management), PRMIA, GARP, CAIA and all that jazz. I see a Swiss CFA Society, hence you could start networking your way to an internship or a job. Being a part of these professional bodies does not guarantee entry, but having them on your CV does tell your employer that you are serious about progressing your career and keeping abreast with the industry.

I trust you have looked at the major finance job bulletins and talked to recruitment agencies.

Take care and be well.
__________________
“What if I should fall right through the center of the earth...oh, and come out the other side, where people walk upside down.” ~Lewis Carrol
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Yves22 for this useful post:
  #22  
Old 13.12.2010, 16:40
Sema's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Basel
Posts: 45
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Sema has annoyed a few people around hereSema has annoyed a few people around here
Re: I don't know what to do.. Please advice..

Hi all,

I am just back from the doctor. Unfortunately, he told me that I am depressed and in this situation I can not make any decision. I will be off 15 days. Then he will see me again
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 13.12.2010, 17:05
nic80's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 801
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 1,292 Times in 422 Posts
nic80 has a reputation beyond reputenic80 has a reputation beyond reputenic80 has a reputation beyond reputenic80 has a reputation beyond reputenic80 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I don't know what to do.. Please advice..

Don't think of this as a bad thing. The doctor has acknowledged that you're depressed and unhappy in your current position (from what you have described anyone would be). Maybe take the time to try and make a clearly thought through decision about your future and not an emotional reaction to your current circumstance.

Then you can calmly and confidently apply for another job where you will be paid appropriately and not abused. When you're confident you'll attract employers more than when you look stressed and depressed.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank nic80 for this useful post:
  #24  
Old 13.12.2010, 17:19
Sema's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Basel
Posts: 45
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Sema has annoyed a few people around hereSema has annoyed a few people around here
Re: I don't know what to do.. Please advice..

Thanks a lot for your support guys..
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sema for this useful post:
  #25  
Old 13.12.2010, 19:31
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bern
Posts: 2
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sophie0009 has no particular reputation at present
Re: I don't know what to do.. Please advice..

Hi, I understand your situation. I have some friends who had the same issue. You have to persevere, it will come :-) You have to use work agencies and focus international companies which will consider better your education and experience than Swiss companies. Godd luck. Sophie
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Sophie0009 for this useful post:
  #26  
Old 13.12.2010, 20:16
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,435 Times in 10,578 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I don't know what to do.. Please advice..

It's good you can take a break. Honestly, I have done my share of Assistant jobs, for some extraordinary divas and stress freaks, cleaning, making coffee and arranging all sorts of crazy personal stuff was quite expected, aside of tutoring them, translating and other skill related things. What kept me professional and distant was the fact I had other things going on (uni, tutoring and teaching evening classes at the same time). That was a lifesaver. It seems you are trapped between the fear of being stuck at home and going nuts at work, there are many more other scenarios that are available to you, one shuts off to it when panicky. Can you have something else working simultaneously?

If I was in your position I wouldn't try to leave just yet, I would try to work out if you can get the situation somehow work out for you, even if you leave soon. It's your first job in CH, so the next employer (if they are swiss) might want a good work certif. Is there any way you can make her cooperative? I had fun being the most helpful person while not being pulled into the mind games and keeping control over my life/free time/personal stuff. You can still do a lot at work but your attitude does not have to be so servile, ykwim? I think maybe it's worth getting slightly more open about what you are actually getting out of your work, your boss may not have the slightest idea and might think how grateful you are for your first crappy Swiss job...She might also envy your education, good partner, who knows. I just think you have worked so hard there, it's time you got something out of it. I'd honestly keep looking elsewhere, ultra speed, while covering my back, be on a good note, refuse to take calls in off hours, arrange all that was possible with receipts, explicative emails, copying the people you discussed the stuff with (say she needs you to call somebody, you send her an email afterwards, copying the person you called, just register all that happens at work). Some people do evil stuff when they think nobody else knows, your boss sounds like one. And some evil beings also think Assistant equals punching bag. I so well remember my days of being very servile with a nice smirk, and very polite ways of telling my uber important bosses that I won't let them push me. Some people just push, everyone, until the person gives up. Don't give up, it's only a job. I do understand about how hard it is to stay at home. Anything is better, really, I do agree with you, independence is important. You just have to work your boss better, you have dignity, don't let her push you, she does not own you, nor your permit. Being assertive is an acquired skill. And ask for a raise (besides, assistants should always get a xmas bonus, shouldn't they...).
__________________
"L'homme ne peut pas remplacer son coeur avec sa tete, ni sa tete avec ses mains." J.H. Pestalozzi

“The only difference between a rut and a grave is a matter of depth.” S.P. Cadman

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." A. Einstein
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #27  
Old 13.12.2010, 20:35
NotAllThere's Avatar
Modulo 2
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Baselland
Posts: 15,046
Groaned at 307 Times in 263 Posts
Thanked 23,226 Times in 9,433 Posts
NotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond reputeNotAllThere has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I don't know what to do.. Please advice..

If you're working to avoid being depressed being at home and your work is making you depressed...

hmm...

Seeing as you can't change your home (so easily), get another job.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 14.12.2010, 13:32
Sema's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Basel
Posts: 45
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Sema has annoyed a few people around hereSema has annoyed a few people around here
Re: I don't know what to do.. Please advice..

Hi all,

I feel really well today. I think going there was making me sick. I will definitely try to find one position asap!

Thanks a lot again
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 14.12.2010, 14:37
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Zurich, Dubendorf
Posts: 90
Groaned at 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 49 Times in 29 Posts
kalyan has no particular reputation at present
Re: I don't know what to do.. Please advice..

Hey Sema

Cheer up. Life is too short to hassle yourself so much and it is just not acceptable to take abusive bosses even if you are paid CHF 1000 per minute.

Even my wife was thinking like you after the first 6 months. But she waited it out, studied German made some friends and started living her own life. Now after almost 30 months of not working she found a perfect job which she really loves and yeah they pay way more then 16 CHF per hour.

The key here is with the qualifications you have, when you find the correct job and a good employer no one would care if you were working or not.

Looks like your employers reads your mind and using it! Just stand up to her and say I dont take s***. Am not a Doctor, but as a normal person I would bet that standing up to her will make you feel a lot better with your depression.

Get well soon and all the best.

Cheers.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank kalyan for this useful post:
  #30  
Old 14.12.2010, 15:27
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: basel
Posts: 8
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
littlehelper has no particular reputation at present
Re: I don't know what to do.. Please advice..

Hi, I really feel for you I have had a similar situation and it is awful. I can also see why you wouldnt want to just leave but I am so surprised you havent been able to get something else with your experience/qualifications.
I have now left my last job for a number of reasons but I have been speaking to some recruitment companies, one of which I thought has been really helpful, I can give you the details if you like as they specialise in recruitment in finance/administration etc.
Hope you find something else soon to put an end to the misery of working with such a horrible woman!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank littlehelper for this useful post:
  #31  
Old 14.12.2010, 21:06
Sema's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Basel
Posts: 45
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Sema has annoyed a few people around hereSema has annoyed a few people around here
Re: I don't know what to do.. Please advice..

Quote:
View Post
Hi, I really feel for you I have had a similar situation and it is awful. I can also see why you wouldnt want to just leave but I am so surprised you havent been able to get something else with your experience/qualifications.
I have now left my last job for a number of reasons but I have been speaking to some recruitment companies, one of which I thought has been really helpful, I can give you the details if you like as they specialise in recruitment in finance/administration etc.
Hope you find something else soon to put an end to the misery of working with such a horrible woman!
Thank you so much! It is great to have people who can understand how I feel. Unfortunately, I couldn't find anything yet and I don't understand why ? The only thing could be I have 'L' permit. I hate my 'L' permit as much as my boss or let's say my x-boss!
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 14.12.2010, 21:08
Sema's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Basel
Posts: 45
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Sema has annoyed a few people around hereSema has annoyed a few people around here
Re: I don't know what to do.. Please advice..

Quote:
View Post
It's good you can take a break. Honestly, I have done my share of Assistant jobs, for some extraordinary divas and stress freaks, cleaning, making coffee and arranging all sorts of crazy personal stuff was quite expected, aside of tutoring them, translating and other skill related things. What kept me professional and distant was the fact I had other things going on (uni, tutoring and teaching evening classes at the same time). That was a lifesaver. It seems you are trapped between the fear of being stuck at home and going nuts at work, there are many more other scenarios that are available to you, one shuts off to it when panicky. Can you have something else working simultaneously?

If I was in your position I wouldn't try to leave just yet, I would try to work out if you can get the situation somehow work out for you, even if you leave soon. It's your first job in CH, so the next employer (if they are swiss) might want a good work certif. Is there any way you can make her cooperative? I had fun being the most helpful person while not being pulled into the mind games and keeping control over my life/free time/personal stuff. You can still do a lot at work but your attitude does not have to be so servile, ykwim? I think maybe it's worth getting slightly more open about what you are actually getting out of your work, your boss may not have the slightest idea and might think how grateful you are for your first crappy Swiss job...She might also envy your education, good partner, who knows. I just think you have worked so hard there, it's time you got something out of it. I'd honestly keep looking elsewhere, ultra speed, while covering my back, be on a good note, refuse to take calls in off hours, arrange all that was possible with receipts, explicative emails, copying the people you discussed the stuff with (say she needs you to call somebody, you send her an email afterwards, copying the person you called, just register all that happens at work). Some people do evil stuff when they think nobody else knows, your boss sounds like one. And some evil beings also think Assistant equals punching bag. I so well remember my days of being very servile with a nice smirk, and very polite ways of telling my uber important bosses that I won't let them push me. Some people just push, everyone, until the person gives up. Don't give up, it's only a job. I do understand about how hard it is to stay at home. Anything is better, really, I do agree with you, independence is important. You just have to work your boss better, you have dignity, don't let her push you, she does not own you, nor your permit. Being assertive is an acquired skill. And ask for a raise (besides, assistants should always get a xmas bonus, shouldn't they...).
This is great!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 14.12.2010, 22:28
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Secret
Posts: 573
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 392 Times in 201 Posts
lilith has a reputation beyond reputelilith has a reputation beyond reputelilith has a reputation beyond reputelilith has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I don't know what to do.. Please advice..

If you can afford it - and you say you can, that your husband is earning well and is supportive - quit.

The lower self-confidence impact also the way others perceive you, including new employers. At 16.- an hour, I could not say that if you don't find another job immediately you'll have financial problems... I feel you'd do well to take off until March, when you'll be getting your B permit; in the meanwhile, take some courses - Migros has a quite nice choice - either in languages, or in anything else you may like! not to improve your future hiring, but simply to remind yourself how it feels to do something one likes every day.

Take the time to get better, to feel happier; and look for something better when the time comes.

The old lady cannot really prevent your employment. I can hardly imagine the experience being something you want on your CV!!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank lilith for this useful post:
  #34  
Old 14.12.2010, 22:49
IMMORTAL's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: BERN
Posts: 81
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
IMMORTAL has earned some respectIMMORTAL has earned some respect
Re: I don't know what to do.. Please advice..

Hi,

It's bitter to read the drama the you are facing. I am really sorry about that.
Unfortunately what you describe is what is happening in the most Swiss companies and even to Swiss people as well. Since this is your first job, you don't have anything (I am talking as personal experience) to compare.
The BIG problem is that you are at the point to take medicines in order to be able to relax and (as you said) you felt so much better even from the first day of you medical "vacations".

It seems that you must find another job. My advice to you, is try to apply to business that already have taken ISO in workflow. That will save you from many nightmares.

Good luck.
__________________
It is not important if you fall 10 times but to rise 11.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank IMMORTAL for this useful post:
  #35  
Old 14.12.2010, 23:06
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Zurich
Posts: 208
Groaned at 20 Times in 7 Posts
Thanked 59 Times in 45 Posts
simpa is considered unworthysimpa is considered unworthysimpa is considered unworthysimpa is considered unworthy
Re: I don't know what to do.. Please advice..

Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 15.12.2010, 00:43
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: zurich
Posts: 48
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 22 Times in 14 Posts
londonswiss is considered knowledgeablelondonswiss is considered knowledgeablelondonswiss is considered knowledgeable
Re: I don't know what to do.. Please advice..

I say quit the job asap in good terms. get a good reference after a month, when she realises how useful you were. start looking for a new job after you quit. agents will ask for your current salary, and if that is low, you will only get low paid jobs. so take a break...relax..have some fun. and remember we 'work to live....not live to work'.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank londonswiss for this useful post:
  #37  
Old 15.12.2010, 09:25
Sema's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Basel
Posts: 45
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Sema has annoyed a few people around hereSema has annoyed a few people around here
Re: I don't know what to do.. Please advice..

Quote:
View Post
I say quit the job asap in good terms. get a good reference after a month, when she realises how useful you were. start looking for a new job after you quit. agents will ask for your current salary, and if that is low, you will only get low paid jobs. so take a break...relax..have some fun. and remember we 'work to live....not live to work'.
Absolutely! You know somebody told me the same from an agency, they also said that the other companies will think that I earn this money because I deserve it! Otherwise, they would increase my salary! Come on!! This was my first job and I was so happy to have it, since my husband earns good I have never interrogated it. But when I learn that I am earning less then a cleaning lady (Please don't misunderstand me, I can be a cleaning lady if needed) and her attitudes are unbearable, I said Enough!! .....Anyway, hopefully I will have some interview on Friday in Geneva and I will tell you the result. Otherwise, I am planning to have 2,3 months sick leave if I can. I want to make her unhappy and sorry for her but nothing can make her unhappy more than losing money!!
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 21.12.2010, 13:33
Sema's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Basel
Posts: 45
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Sema has annoyed a few people around hereSema has annoyed a few people around here
Re: I don't know what to do.. Please advice..

Hi all,

I am on vacation but I wanted to check my company email address to see what is going on when I am away. I am not able to read my emails because they have changed my password!

Do you think she can fire me when I am on sick leave ?

Regards to all,
Sema
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 11.02.2011, 01:21
Sema's Avatar
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Basel
Posts: 45
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Sema has annoyed a few people around hereSema has annoyed a few people around here
Re: I don't know what to do.. Please advice..

Hi all,

I am not working for this company anymore and very happy now!

I will start to look for something else when I am ready...

Thanks a lot!
Sema
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Sema for this useful post:
  #40  
Old 11.02.2011, 09:50
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: I don't know what to do.. Please advice..

Quote:
View Post
Off-topic.
Guys and Gals - please leave square brackets and their contents in place when you shorten quotes. You friend and helper - a Mod.
Some of us have used this to our advantage in the past..

*** to the OP this sucks get out and fast, tell her to shove her flight tickets up her ass. (Seems you have good for you!)

The positive relief that you'll experience will help you find a new job in no time, probably at a much better company.

Last edited by Cata1yst; 11.02.2011 at 09:52. Reason: See you have told her to shove it!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
Reply

Tags
contracts, employment conditions




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Whats best Commission based investment advice or Fee based advice? manouche Finance/banking/taxation 5 24.08.2010 15:53
Advice markoff Employment 1 24.03.2009 14:50
zones advice: zones advice: Schwamendingen and Adliswil chris_l Housing in general 7 18.09.2008 14:19
asking for advice hanad Complaints corner 1 18.11.2007 09:05


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0