Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 25.02.2011, 00:07
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Frustrated with Jobsearch...trying to find a job asap

My boyfriend recently moved from San Diego, California to Switzerland to be able to live with me, his girlfriend, I am Swiss, born and raised in Zurich.
He has been attending a German course for 2months and he is trying to find a job now, doesn't really matter what that is at this point. We are rather frustrated, since his German is not that well yet and Switzerland won't recognize his degrees.
He is a car mechanic, has had his own business in the States for more than 7 years, he is absolutely gifted with working with cars. He used to buy cars, remodel them, fix them and then resell them, he basically was a wholesaler the last few years.
Moreover, he is an allrounder, remodelled our apartement flawlessly, is good with electronics, painting, technical and manufactural work and has a huge working experience in various fields.
Still, finding a job, even with help from RAV and writing 10 applications a week, it is very disappointing and the success = 0!
The thing is, that he is exeptionally good with cars, but the main problem is, he doesn't have a swiss diploma, so garages are basically sceptical.
At this point, and also regarding his broad experiences with all kinds of jobs, he is absolutely willing to do anything, just to get a job for now.
For help and hints we'd be so grateful.

THANK YOU!

Last edited by Ms Swiss; 25.02.2011 at 00:12. Reason: mistakes
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 25.02.2011, 08:24
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Frustrated with Jobsearch...trying to find a job asap

Quote:
View Post
My boyfriend recently moved from San Diego, California to Switzerland to be able to live with me, his girlfriend, I am Swiss, born and raised in Zurich.
He has been attending a German course for 2months and he is trying to find a job now, doesn't really matter what that is at this point. We are rather frustrated, since his German is not that well yet and Switzerland won't recognize his degrees.
He is a car mechanic, has had his own business in the States for more than 7 years, he is absolutely gifted with working with cars. He used to buy cars, remodel them, fix them and then resell them, he basically was a wholesaler the last few years.
Moreover, he is an allrounder, remodelled our apartement flawlessly, is good with electronics, painting, technical and manufactural work and has a huge working experience in various fields.
Still, finding a job, even with help from RAV and writing 10 applications a week, it is very disappointing and the success = 0!
The thing is, that he is exeptionally good with cars, but the main problem is, he doesn't have a swiss diploma, so garages are basically sceptical.
At this point, and also regarding his broad experiences with all kinds of jobs, he is absolutely willing to do anything, just to get a job for now.
For help and hints we'd be so grateful.

THANK YOU!

Why doesn't he start his own mechanic business again, if he really is that good and keeps his overheads to a minimum, shouldn't be that difficult.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 25.02.2011, 11:49
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Frustrated with Jobsearch...trying to find a job asap

Hey Today only...ithanks for your reply, it is quite difficult to start your own business in Switzerland, moreover we don`t have the money to finace it at this point, so we are really looking for a job asap so he can make some money after 3 months of school soon. We need an income again and I am a student still and can only work certain times, I have my parttime job, but that won`t get us far )
So, he is trying to find a job, any job for now asap.
Thanks for all your help, it is highly appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 25.02.2011, 11:58
Karl's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Here
Posts: 2,003
Groaned at 192 Times in 87 Posts
Thanked 2,939 Times in 958 Posts
Karl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond reputeKarl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Frustrated with Jobsearch...trying to find a job asap

Dear Ms. Swiss, I sympathize with you. I am from the San Francisco area, but moved here over 20 years ago (luckily with a job). But during that time I have been in a similar situation twice, albeit with a recognized degree. Even so, especially recently when the global economy was so bad, it took me 5 months, 120 applications, 9 interviews, then a temporary contractor position with a company that ended up hiring me fulltime. It was a miserable, discouraging time where I almost lost hope. I just kept plugging away, submitting CV after CV, calling up friends and colleagues and finally I got something really good. Hey, I've got a good friend who works for Chrysler Europe here in Switzerland. If you send me a CV I can forward it to him. I can't promise anything and don't know if they're even hiring...
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank Karl for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 25.02.2011, 11:58
MrVertigo's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 3,200
Groaned at 86 Times in 70 Posts
Thanked 5,788 Times in 2,254 Posts
MrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond reputeMrVertigo has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Frustrated with Jobsearch...trying to find a job asap

Maybe he should focus on garages specialized in US cars (collectors etc...).
Quick search gave me this company importing US cars
Maybe they know a garage that needs US mechanics. Focus on the strength of your BF to find adequate garage
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank MrVertigo for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 25.02.2011, 12:31
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Russia
Posts: 35
Groaned at 5 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 23 Times in 6 Posts
Programmer has become a little unpopular
Re: Frustrated with Jobsearch...trying to find a job asap

Have you considered moving to the US with him?

At least that's what I'm considering right now, being unable to find a decent job as a software developer in Germany lately Switzerland for almost two years, even though I have two diplomas and several years of work experience.

It's really hard here in Europe with work these days.

Move along with him to the land of opportunities.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 25.02.2011, 17:27
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Frustrated with Jobsearch...trying to find a job asap

Thank you all for your help and your replies. THANK YOU!

We are definitely working on it.

And yes, we have considered going to the States, but the situation there is not really helpful right now either. Moreover I am still in school (Vet school) and my teaching degree is woth nothing in the States plus the salary 1/4 of what I could make here. So, as long as I am still in school (and I really want to do this, it is hard to get into med school) we want to try making it work here and earn some money. San Diego, that`s where he is from, is not doing too well right now and leaves him not many options either.

Thanks again from the bottom of my heart for all your help, I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 25.02.2011, 17:32
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,428 Times in 10,577 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Frustrated with Jobsearch...trying to find a job asap

Has he considered doing some kind of internship/apprentisage here, in some car place for a few months? I know it needs to be paid and all, but it would enable him to put his foot in the door, at least. Once you at least get a short stint or a couple of unpaid stages, the jobs would follow. If he getws a few days stage, then another one, some garrage might take him. Does not RAV offer anything like this? How has he tried to have the degree recognised?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 25.02.2011, 17:58
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Work in ZH, live in SZ
Posts: 12,232
Groaned at 351 Times in 284 Posts
Thanked 23,444 Times in 8,473 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Frustrated with Jobsearch...trying to find a job asap

Quote:
View Post
Even so, especially recently when the global economy was so bad, it took me 5 months, 120 applications, 9 interviews, then a temporary contractor position with a company that ended up hiring me fulltime.
I am a native speaker, three recognized university degrees (in stuff that DOES get you jobs), good work experience and good references. In 2009 I needed seven months and more than 200 applications to get ONE offer. Not a great one, one offer at all.

So: Perseverance is the name of the game. In this particular case I would suggest him to simply go in person and visit the employers that are of interest for him. Simply ask, I am sure most garage managers are not the type that love to read a lot of CVs in the evenings... so if you drop by, make a short conversation and leave your CV there, you basically got you an interview yourselve...

Second tip (from me as marketer): Don't try to cover his weaknesses, sell them as a strength. He knows US cars and speaks poor German. So don't apply at the Audi garage, apply at one of the many importers for US cars.
- I am sure that the average Bosnian mechanic here has some issues to read and understand US maintenance manuals.
- I am sure that people who buy those rolling anachronisms are willing and capable of speaking English; After all do they buy an piece of the "American way of life" instead of a decent car

Good luck!
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #10  
Old 25.02.2011, 18:23
MusicChick's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: La Cote
Posts: 17,488
Groaned at 414 Times in 275 Posts
Thanked 20,428 Times in 10,577 Posts
MusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond reputeMusicChick has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Frustrated with Jobsearch...trying to find a job asap

I agree it makes a really big difference to show up in person, make an impression and leave a hard copy of your CV. Much better than just a quick annonymous email, with a bunch of painful attachments to open. Show up in person, take a nice hard copy of your job "dossier" with everything already in it, incl. a photo, and see if that makes a difference.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank MusicChick for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 01.03.2011, 21:20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vaud
Posts: 43
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
gravitycantforget has no particular reputation at present
Re: Frustrated with Jobsearch...trying to find a job asap

Quote:
View Post
I agree it makes a really big difference to show up in person, make an impression and leave a hard copy of your CV. Much better than just a quick annonymous email, with a bunch of painful attachments to open. Show up in person, take a nice hard copy of your job "dossier" with everything already in it, incl. a photo, and see if that makes a difference.
My experience, but I suppose this depends upon the type of work, is that people will talk to you but the chance your CV will be taken seriously is very slim. I think it is NOT the done thing in Switzerland
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01.03.2011, 21:30
Ittigen
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Frustrated with Jobsearch...trying to find a job asap

Quote:
View Post
My experience, but I suppose this depends upon the type of work, is that people will talk to you but the chance your CV will be taken seriously is very slim. I think it is NOT the done thing in Switzerland
I find your opinion wrong. Here it is all about getting yourself known. Flyers, personal reccommendations, everything. Many jobs are not advertised, you have to chase the possibility of a job especialy before it is advertised.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01.03.2011, 22:30
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Frustrated with Jobsearch...trying to find a job asap

Thanks again one more time to everyone. We are giving our best, but still it is so frustrating. I went the system-way, but people who do not belong to the system have a hard time. Feel free to share your experiences here, I am interested to learn how you guys coped with all that and managed to go your way.

All the best,
J
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01.03.2011, 22:36
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Frustrated with Jobsearch...trying to find a job asap

Quote:
View Post
Thanks again one more time to everyone. We are giving our best, but still it is so frustrating. I went the system-way, but people who do not belong to the system have a hard time. Feel free to share your experiences here, I am interested to learn how you guys coped with all that and managed to go your way.

All the best,
J

It's your country....
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01.03.2011, 22:52
panda's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 168
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 90 Times in 57 Posts
panda is considered knowledgeablepanda is considered knowledgeablepanda is considered knowledgeable
Re: Frustrated with Jobsearch...trying to find a job asap

if he is allowed to work here then how about a job in Migros or something just to get the finances sorted, he could keep studying German and looking in his own field in the meantime, but the stress would be less. It might not make you rich but I believe those sort of jobs are really not so badly paid here. Good luck either way!
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Endlessly frustrated with clueless recruiters and job search in general Programmer Employment 25 17.01.2013 10:59
Where can I find a Union Jack flag, ASAP, in Basel Mrs Badger Other/general 27 20.11.2009 15:42


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:41.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0