Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 26.03.2011, 19:00
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Minimum wage for nanny

AFAIK there is no minimum wage in Switzerland
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 26.03.2011, 19:02
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Minimum wage for nanny

I don't even want to imagine the kids going around the week with so many people looking after them without any consistancy...

I think it is fishy... She has two posts one is from February and all the kids have 1 year younger than the today's post.

In Europe (Germany, Spain) The normal average wage for a nanny is 10 Euro / hour. But it is Europe, not Swiss price and cost of leaving...
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 26.03.2011, 19:06
armandair
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Minimum wage for nanny

If I would ever trust my kid to someone else, than my major concern would be professionalism of the nanny or where ever little one is being cared for.

So I doubt a 10.- nanny can handle e.g. a difficult situation properly or take the right measurements. I simply would not trust someone I pay so less money.

If the job is only playing or carrying little one around the flat, then why not. But definitely not if it means taking care the way I do.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 26.03.2011, 19:13
coconut's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zurichberg
Posts: 738
Groaned at 12 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,000 Times in 405 Posts
coconut has a reputation beyond reputecoconut has a reputation beyond reputecoconut has a reputation beyond reputecoconut has a reputation beyond reputecoconut has a reputation beyond reputecoconut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Minimum wage for nanny

Quote:
View Post
On the other hand, if the nanny is taking full responsibility for your children for the whole day, then this is her livelihood and she should earn enough to be able to enjoy a certain standard of living as well.
totally agree, and thats why a lot of mothers prefer to stay at home, not all are in high bussiness positions (or the hubby) and if the nanny charges 150 per day and you make 200pd..... or they hire illegal that charge a bit less.
In my case I found the perfect solution with a tag mother, she works direct for the city of zurich, she also speaks spanish (I talk only spanish with my boys) etc and they charge according to your income.
What a nanny does is great I was a nanny myself and you do a lot, take care of other peoples child is a huge responsability and in my post i didnt mean the salary is bad, but i was adding the point of view of some moms that dont have the money to pay that salary
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 26.03.2011, 19:20
coconut's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Zurichberg
Posts: 738
Groaned at 12 Times in 10 Posts
Thanked 1,000 Times in 405 Posts
coconut has a reputation beyond reputecoconut has a reputation beyond reputecoconut has a reputation beyond reputecoconut has a reputation beyond reputecoconut has a reputation beyond reputecoconut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Minimum wage for nanny

Quote:
View Post
I don't even want to imagine the kids going around the week with so many people looking after them without any consistancy...

I think it is fishy... She has two posts one is from February and all the kids have 1 year younger than the today's post.

In Europe (Germany, Spain) The normal average wage for a nanny is 10 Euro / hour. But it is Europe, not Swiss price and cost of leaving...
In the same post you quotes she mention twins for 15 month and some words later they are 10 months old
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 26.03.2011, 19:24
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Minimum wage for nanny

I think some people in this thread need to understand the plight of a lot of nanny's in this country. A lot of them come to this country with their high flying husbands and don't know the local language. They get bored all day. They can't find a job because of the lack of local lingo.

So they find anything. Sure they might get paid 1000CHF for 15 hours per week. But they spend 15 hours a week outside of the house and get 1000CHF extra. That's their money. 1000CHF per month all for yourself is a nice bit of cash.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #47  
Old 26.03.2011, 19:45
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Minimum wage for nanny

Quote:
View Post
I think some people in this thread need to understand the plight of a lot of nanny's in this country. A lot of them come to this country with their high flying husbands and don't know the local language. They get bored all day. They can't find a job because of the lack of local lingo.

So they find anything. Sure they might get paid 1000CHF for 15 hours per week. But they spend 15 hours a week outside of the house and get 1000CHF extra. That's their money. 1000CHF per month all for yourself is a nice bit of cash.
I agree with that. But being a bored housewife doesn't qualify you to be a good nanny. And even if I wouldn't mind to be pay less for getting out of the house, as a mother I would have problem to get someone without qualitications. It can be 10 euro or 25 chf. What matters, for me, is to know that it is a qualified person with references.

I wish to start a new thread about the concept of having many kids but no time for them and hiring strangers to take care of them from the early morning until bed time, week-end included. A concept, that I don't understand and really would like to. (Because not knowing it, I find myself being quite judgemental on it).
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Nil for this useful post:
  #48  
Old 26.03.2011, 19:54
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Minimum wage for nanny

Quote:
View Post
I agree with that. But being a bored housewife doesn't qualify you to be a good nanny. And even if I wouldn't mind to be pay less for getting out of the house, as a mother I would have problem to get someone without qualitications. It can be 10 euro or 25 chf. What matters, for me, is to know that it is a qualified person with references.

I wish to start a new thread about the concept of having many kids but no time for them and hiring strangers to take care of them from the early morning until bed time, week-end included. A concept, that I don't understand and really would like to. (Because not knowing it, I find myself being quite judgemental on it).
It doesn't automatically make you a good nanny but it doesn't exclude you from being a good nanny, neither does willing to earn less than 20CHF per hour.

Everyone does talk about qualifications a lot and I do think they are important. But I think experience and good references are a bigger factor in choosing a good nanny.

I don't understand parents that have no time for their kids either
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #49  
Old 26.03.2011, 19:58
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Minimum wage for nanny

Quote:
View Post
It doesn't automatically make you a good nanny but it doesn't exclude you from being a good nanny, neither does willing to earn less than 20CHF per hour.

Everyone does talk about qualifications a lot and I do think they are important. But I think experience and good references are a bigger factor in choosing a good nanny.

I don't understand parents that have no time for their kids either
So we agree on everything!

I think qualifications come with experience! You have doctors with tons of diplomas who are crap with patients and will send them away with a smart ass attitude. You have doctors with less diplomas but will do everything to help the patients...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Nil for this useful post:
  #50  
Old 26.03.2011, 20:01
porsch1909
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Minimum wage for nanny

Quote:
View Post
So we agree on everything!

I think qualifications come with experience! You have doctors with tons of diplomas who are crap with patients and will send them away with a smart ass attitude. You have doctors with less diplomas but will do everything to help the patients...
It may well be a first for you with anyone?
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 26.03.2011, 20:19
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 11,134
Groaned at 356 Times in 291 Posts
Thanked 16,435 Times in 8,351 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Minimum wage for nanny

Quote:
View Post
I agree with that. But being a bored housewife doesn't qualify you to be a good nanny. And even if I wouldn't mind to be pay less for getting out of the house, as a mother I would have problem to get someone without qualitications. It can be 10 euro or 25 chf. What matters, for me, is to know that it is a qualified person with references.

I wish to start a new thread about the concept of having many kids but no time for them and hiring strangers to take care of them from the early morning until bed time, week-end included. A concept, that I don't understand and really would like to. (Because not knowing it, I find myself being quite judgemental on it).
On the other hand, we have no evidence they are not well taken care of. Let the mother be the judge of that.
If she has 2 nannies a day and pays let's say the minimum 200 chf per day..30x200=6000chf a month spent on carers...ladies, no need to bitch, keep your bras on..
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 26.03.2011, 22:18
ZenAgent's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 208
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 251 Times in 92 Posts
ZenAgent has a reputation beyond reputeZenAgent has a reputation beyond reputeZenAgent has a reputation beyond reputeZenAgent has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Minimum wage for nanny

Quote:
View Post
I think it is fishy... She has two posts one is from February and all the kids have 1 year younger than the today's post.
Maybe they were all conceived/delivered around the same time? I have several family members who share the same birth month (gets a bit costly buying or making seven different gifts at once ). That doesn't explain how the twins go from 10 months to 1 year old to 15 months old in the matter of a few weeks. However, if I had five children regardless of their alleged age, I'm sure I'd be stressed enough to forget how old they are. Unless I had an entire staff of hired help...
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank ZenAgent for this useful post:
  #53  
Old 27.03.2011, 00:45
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 11,134
Groaned at 356 Times in 291 Posts
Thanked 16,435 Times in 8,351 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Minimum wage for nanny

You're jealous.. Errare humanum est.
To have a great career and a nice, large family it's not something that many can achieve. Thus being said, I'm sure I wouldn't be able to take care of 5 kids. Not even 3..
By the way, does someone know how much would be the monthly cost for a crèche?
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 27.03.2011, 10:12
Nil's Avatar
Nil Nil is offline
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Basel
Posts: 10,356
Groaned at 428 Times in 333 Posts
Thanked 16,045 Times in 6,322 Posts
Nil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond reputeNil has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Minimum wage for nanny

Quote:
View Post
You're jealous.. Errare humanum est.
To have a great career and a nice, large family it's not something that many can achieve. Thus being said, I'm sure I wouldn't be able to take care of 5 kids. Not even 3..
By the way, does someone know how much would be the monthly cost for a crèche?
Being jealous? Nope, not at all. I left my great career to take care of my kids. I don't expect other women to do the same nor judge them to do it or not. It is certainly not my business and every women do what they believe is the best for their kids.

But in this exact example we got earlier is about 5 kids being raised by and only nannies (4-5 weekly, weekends included). We don't know all the details, but with what we got, it doesn't look like something I can understand. If it works for her, great. But what about the kids?

Jealous, certainly not.

That, I don't understand it. And I will never understand it.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank Nil for this useful post:
This user groans at Nil for this post:
  #55  
Old 27.03.2011, 10:51
armandair
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Minimum wage for nanny

I also left my wonderful career for diapers, food, and baby blabber. And don't regret it for a second. It's not payed, but it's rewarding. If you consider that you work from age 25-60, what is a few years of a halt in job and earning? Nothing.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank for this useful post:
  #56  
Old 27.03.2011, 11:13
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: CH
Posts: 11,134
Groaned at 356 Times in 291 Posts
Thanked 16,435 Times in 8,351 Posts
greenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond reputegreenmount has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Minimum wage for nanny

Quote:
View Post
Being jealous? Nope, not at all. I left my great career to take care of my kids. I don't expect other women to do the same nor judge them to do it or not. It is certainly not my business and every women do what they believe is the best for their kids.

But in this exact example we got earlier is about 5 kids being raised by and only nannies (4-5 weekly, weekends included). We don't know all the details, but with what we got, it doesn't look like something I can understand. If it works for her, great. But what about the kids?

Jealous, certainly not.

That, I don't understand it. And I will never understand it.
We, boyfriend and me, plan to have a family with 2 kids, and we agreed that the sooner we start, the better. I'll have to take into consideration every option re. child care, and I do hope that our mothers will help us for a while, taking turns, but I'm aware we might need to hire a nanny or to put the kids in a child care facility during the day time.
Hopefully we can both, or at least one of us, arrange to work less, 60% or 80%.
For some people staying at home with kids it's not an option (not even culturally, mentally), and perhaps having many children (who could be from different marriages of the two spouses) means one also would need a lot of money. Food, clothes, extra-curricular activities, a nice roof over their heads, family holidays..I mean it's easy to judge when you don't know any details.

Last edited by greenmount; 27.03.2011 at 13:36. Reason: funny mistake
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 27.03.2011, 12:28
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Secret
Posts: 573
Groaned at 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanked 392 Times in 201 Posts
lilith has a reputation beyond reputelilith has a reputation beyond reputelilith has a reputation beyond reputelilith has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Minimum wage for nanny

Funky how any discussion on nannies degenerates on the classic debate "sahm against working women".

I have always wondered what pushes intelligent and educated women to take the immense risk of stopping a career to stay home. Working does not mean ignoring one's children; but it means being responsible for one's life, setting the standards and the example, ensuring a long term security (in case of divorce, in case of accidents, in case of unemployment), sharing the responsability and protecting the family against loosing (or wasting???) the opportunities and the education in case of dramatic events.

Accepting the evidence of continous work is the basis for creating a new family law, codes and rules in our society; that only will prepare the way to create a protection for family and a frame for our children.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank lilith for this useful post:
This user groans at lilith for this post:
  #58  
Old 27.03.2011, 12:38
Longbyt's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 8,105
Groaned at 57 Times in 53 Posts
Thanked 12,980 Times in 4,732 Posts
Longbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Minimum wage for nanny

As lilith says, this Thread has wandered off-topic again.

One point which IS on-topic and which I don't think anyone has mentioned is the difference between a full-time job and working shorter hours.

For a full-time job, especially live-in, the working time is the time the worker is 'occupied' there and is paid for. If someone does several 'part-time' sessions, the journeying time has to be compensated for in the hourly rate somehow.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 27.03.2011, 12:46
armandair
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Minimum wage for nanny

In a 100% the time you need to get to your working place is not compensated through salary. There are companies though who give you something for your train or bus pass.

A part time position is simply the percentage calculated on a 100% base.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 27.03.2011, 13:03
Longbyt's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: ZH
Posts: 8,105
Groaned at 57 Times in 53 Posts
Thanked 12,980 Times in 4,732 Posts
Longbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond reputeLongbyt has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Minimum wage for nanny

I didn't mean payment for transport in that sense but having done jobs involving just an hour or two of actual work, the pay-rate per hour took into consideration the fact that I also had travel time. When I was doing the same job for a whole day, the payment was calculated per day and came out to less per hour.
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
legal minimum wage? praktikum? mienx Employment 21 05.07.2011 13:03
Minimum wage in Switzerland?? crazysniper Employment 75 09.08.2010 18:04
what is the minimum wage/median wage in CH Jaro Employment 1 16.09.2009 15:05
Minimum wage telandy Employment 5 06.05.2008 14:16
Changing from L to B permit - minimum wage? nsud Permits/visas/government 12 03.05.2008 11:41


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:12.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0