Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10.03.2011, 22:29
Embo's Avatar
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Zürich
Posts: 96
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 133 Times in 43 Posts
Embo has earned some respectEmbo has earned some respect
Getting a Swiss-style "work certificate" from a Canadian employer...

After hours of reading this forum, I've decided it would be a good thing to get some kind of work certificate for my current job before I move to Switzerland. We don't really do that kind of thing in Canada, so I want to be specific in what I ask for.

I guess I'm asking for sort of an expanded letter of reference. Does anyone have an English example of a work certificate? What else should it include? Official letterhead? Should I write parts (like job description/duties) myself?

Reply With Quote
Old 10.03.2011, 22:34
jrspet's Avatar
Forum Legend
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Quaint Wädenswil, Zürich, CH
Posts: 8,131
Groaned at 27 Times in 20 Posts
Thanked 7,036 Times in 3,912 Posts
jrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond reputejrspet has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Getting a Swiss-style "work certificate" from a Canadian employer...




Reply With Quote
Old 12.03.2011, 09:50
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vaud
Posts: 43
Groaned at 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanked 13 Times in 10 Posts
gravitycantforget has no particular reputation at present
Re: Getting a Swiss-style "work certificate" from a Canadian employer...

embo - i think you will find that a lot of agencies and employers do realise that things are done slightly different...i suspect that just standard stuff like length of service are required. I recall arguing/debating with an agency when I was offered my current job...the new employer wanted reference and certificates...I explained that normally certificates are NOT given (I was in the UK earlier). When the agency wanted to speak to my last employer in the UK I warned them that they would only get basic information - and thats all they got. it varies from country to country but some cannot legally give a 'bad' reference. I think here in Switzerland they CAN give a review on your performance legally
Reply With Quote

canada, letter of reference, work certificate

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
INDIA: How to "legalize" marriage certificate for spouse visa? Cactina Permits/visas/government 34 16.12.2014 22:06
Baschi!!! [apparently some Swiss pop "star" has been "spotted"] Gina Daily life 28 22.06.2010 15:27
How do you say "Ausbildungsmöglichkeiten" and "Chemiefacharbeiterin" in swiss german bayboro91 Language corner 2 07.05.2010 17:31
B Pass expired.... employer "working on it".... should I worry? jznz Permits/visas/government 4 04.02.2010 11:28

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 15:29.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0