Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 20.05.2011, 18:32
Lejoker's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 576
Groaned at 20 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 285 Times in 181 Posts
Lejoker has no particular reputation at present
Re: Dual Citizen and Employment

Quote:
View Post
Iran and North Korea spring to mind. Sure, not many visit these lands, but some do, and there are probably other lands in the middle east. Not just going through customs checks, but sometimes it is safer (or peace of mind) to travel on a non US passport.

The swiss passport is well liked everywhere, even off the beaten track.
I don't understand how people make such assumptions...what about those Swiss citizens stuck in Libya during the CH-LIBYA crisis...unless you have something to back up such a claim, it remains merely your 'opinion'.

NK?Iran? you picked the two that are most hostile to the 'West' and not exclusively the US.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 20.05.2011, 18:33
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,971
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dual Citizen and Employment

Quote:
View Post
Anybody in the real know about this (meaning I am not disagreeing with you, but need to know for certain)?
Yes. It's true. That's the in the real knowing! If you need to know for certain, and don't believe us, why don't you look on the official gov't websites of the country you want to live in?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 20.05.2011, 18:35
Lejoker's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 576
Groaned at 20 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 285 Times in 181 Posts
Lejoker has no particular reputation at present
Re: Dual Citizen and Employment

Quote:
View Post
A good chunk of South America imposes entry visa & tax requirements on US citizen but not on Swiss/most others.




l.
The same way a good chunk of Africa imposes entry visas on Swiss nationals whilst they grant visa-free entry to US-UK or French passport holders.

Senegal is 1
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 20.05.2011, 18:41
tiny_tim's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 278
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanked 89 Times in 71 Posts
tiny_tim has made some interesting contributions
Re: Dual Citizen and Employment

Quote:
View Post
Yes. It's true. That's the in the real knowing! If you need to know for certain, and don't believe us, why don't you look on the official gov't websites of the country you want to live in?
"I think so" from our Aussie cousin does not equate to " I know so" from my Argentinian amigo(a?), so now I have got a sure reply, and also will check out the websites too! Mucho gracias!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 20.05.2011, 19:51
AnAustralian's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,207
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 560 Times in 318 Posts
AnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeable
Re: Dual Citizen and Employment

Quote:
View Post
I don't understand how people make such assumptions...what about those Swiss citizens stuck in Libya during the CH-LIBYA crisis...unless you have something to back up such a claim, it remains merely your 'opinion'.

NK?Iran? you picked the two that are most hostile to the 'West' and not exclusively the US.
Of course no passport guarantees safety, but it is no secret US has made many enemies over the years.

If you want to believe the US passport is flawless, go right ahead, I wont stop you
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 20.05.2011, 19:55
AnAustralian's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,207
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 560 Times in 318 Posts
AnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeable
Re: Dual Citizen and Employment

I have an aussie passport, sometimes I hate it, I get checked at every EU border, often involving body searches (yep, true, was body searched at the swiss border once too, even when travelling with my swiss wife). Times like these I wish I had a euopean passport. This is really the only point I was making. I am not sure why that is so hard for you to understand, but it is what it is.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 20.05.2011, 19:59
AnAustralian's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,207
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 560 Times in 318 Posts
AnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeable
Re: Dual Citizen and Employment

Quote:
View Post
"I think so" from our Aussie cousin does not equate to " I know so" from my Argentinian amigo(a?), so now I have got a sure reply, and also will check out the websites too! Mucho gracias!
Your only guarantee of true information regarding permits is from the officials themselves. Many of us think so and know so, but if you want a definite answer go to the source Only trying to give you a hand and offer discussion.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 20.05.2011, 20:07
Lejoker's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 576
Groaned at 20 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 285 Times in 181 Posts
Lejoker has no particular reputation at present
Re: Dual Citizen and Employment

Quote:
View Post
Of course no passport guarantees safety, but it is no secret US has made many enemies over the years.

If you want to believe the US passport is flawless, go right ahead, I wont stop you
I never said it was flawless or even near that!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 20.05.2011, 20:10
Lejoker's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 576
Groaned at 20 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 285 Times in 181 Posts
Lejoker has no particular reputation at present
Re: Dual Citizen and Employment

Quote:
View Post
I have an aussie passport, sometimes I hate it, I get checked at every EU border, often involving body searches (yep, true, was body searched at the swiss border once too, even when travelling with my swiss wife). Times like these I wish I had a euopean passport. This is really the only point I was making. I am not sure why that is so hard for you to understand, but it is what it is.
I doubt that the reason you were searched is your Aussie passport -I am not saying that you smuggle drugs but sometimes the way we act or the way we look raises suspicions. If your European you just don't get searched at all because you wave a burgundy passport????
That my friend is simply non-true and I'm speaking from personal experience...
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 20.05.2011, 20:13
AnAustralian's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,207
Groaned at 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thanked 560 Times in 318 Posts
AnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeableAnAustralian is considered knowledgeable
Re: Dual Citizen and Employment

Quote:
View Post
I doubt that the reason you were searched is your Aussie passport -I am not saying that you smuggle drugs but sometimes the way we act or the way we look raises suspicions. If your European you just don't get searched at all because you wave a burgundy passport????
That my friend is simply non-true and I'm speaking from personal experience...
Unfortunately it was because of my passport at the time, I was travelling with all swiss passports, I stood out because it seemed unusual at the time. Customs actually told me this. You are right it is based on my opinion / perception, but hey, this is a forum for opinions. You have your opinion I have mine, and they dont meet. End of story.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 20.05.2011, 20:16
Lejoker's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 576
Groaned at 20 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 285 Times in 181 Posts
Lejoker has no particular reputation at present
Re: Dual Citizen and Employment

Quote:
View Post
Unfortunately it was because of my passport at the time, I was travelling with all swiss passports, I stood out because it seemed unusual at the time. Customs actually told me this. You are right it is based on my opinion / perception, but hey, this is a forum for opinions. You have your opinion I have mine, and they dont meet. End of story.
True.
For me, the only country I get singled out in is Canada ...out of all places
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 20.05.2011, 20:56
digg's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Zurich
Posts: 402
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 116 Times in 81 Posts
digg has earned some respectdigg has earned some respect
Re: Dual Citizen and Employment

Quote:
View Post
This is correct, however employers probably have preferences in some cases that cannot be controlled by law, so again being Swiss is definitely an advantage.
Technically depends on the employer doesn't it. Unless the employer was racist then he'd pick whoever was best for the job regardless of nationality.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 20.05.2011, 21:09
cannut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 6,913
Groaned at 182 Times in 142 Posts
Thanked 6,191 Times in 3,404 Posts
cannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dual Citizen and Employment

Quote:
View Post
I don't understand how people make such assumptions...what about those Swiss citizens stuck in Libya during the CH-LIBYA crisis...unless you have something to back up such a claim, it remains merely your 'opinion'.

NK?Iran? you picked the two that are most hostile to the 'West' and not exclusively the US.
Is Libya a country,I mean with the Hotel door man in power ??
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 20.05.2011, 21:15
cannut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 6,913
Groaned at 182 Times in 142 Posts
Thanked 6,191 Times in 3,404 Posts
cannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dual Citizen and Employment

Quote:
View Post
True.
For me, the only country I get singled out in is Canada ...out of all places
You want me to talk to someone in charge
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 20.05.2011, 21:19
cannut's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: canada
Posts: 6,913
Groaned at 182 Times in 142 Posts
Thanked 6,191 Times in 3,404 Posts
cannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond reputecannut has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dual Citizen and Employment

Quote:
View Post
What documentation do I need in order to work in Switzerland? I am a 40 American with Swiss citizenship(conferred through my mother when I was a minor) and have lived in the US my entire life. I have always had a dream of living in Switzerland and would finally like to make this dream a reality.

My Swiss passport expired 15 years ago, so I have no official documentation proving that I am Swiss. However, I am registered with the Swiss Consulate in NY.

How much of an advantage will I gain because of my Swiss citizenship?
As a returning auslandschweizer,you are entitled to Unemployed insurance on arrival
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank cannut for this useful post:
  #36  
Old 20.05.2011, 22:51
miniMia's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: romandie
Posts: 9,971
Groaned at 101 Times in 92 Posts
Thanked 9,106 Times in 4,522 Posts
miniMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond reputeminiMia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dual Citizen and Employment

Quote:
View Post
The same way a good chunk of Africa imposes entry visas on Swiss nationals whilst they grant visa-free entry to US-UK or French passport holders.

Senegal is 1
That is why having more than on passport is beneficial. I guess I can travel a good chunk of the world never having to get a visa or pay an entrance fee. Yeah me!

Quote:
View Post
"I think so" from our Aussie cousin does not equate to " I know so" from my Argentinian amigo(a?), so now I have got a sure reply, and also will check out the websites too! Muchas gracias!
That would be "amiga" though I'm not Argentina. But you're welcome!
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 21.05.2011, 00:51
Lejoker's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lausanne
Posts: 576
Groaned at 20 Times in 12 Posts
Thanked 285 Times in 181 Posts
Lejoker has no particular reputation at present
Re: Dual Citizen and Employment

Quote:
View Post
That is why having more than on passport is beneficial. I guess I can travel a good chunk of the world never having to get a visa or pay an entrance fee. Yeah me!

!
I thought of doing the samething as I qualify for at least 2 more passports in addition to the one I have but saw no real benefit as I'm not travelling to those countries which do not grant me visa-free access. then comes the identity issue, it would suck carrying a passport of a country whose language you can't even speak
Reply With Quote
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dual citizen to file tax form ? bbolsm Finance/banking/taxation 10 26.03.2011 19:49
dual citizen (canada/switzerland) isaaaabel Permits/visas/government 3 14.05.2008 21:53
Swiss Canadian Dual Citizen Divorce Angela1978 Family matters/health 4 21.03.2008 08:54
Spousal visa for Dual Cdn / Czech Citizen philliab Permits/visas/government 5 22.10.2007 04:28
Dual Citizen - one EU, one not. Use which? chris lane Permits/visas/government 11 19.02.2007 03:19


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 23:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0