Go Back   English Forum Switzerland > Help & tips > Employment
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 23.06.2011, 21:36
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 263
Groaned at 70 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 192 Times in 116 Posts
mishimishi is considered unworthymishimishi is considered unworthymishimishi is considered unworthy
Fired while on probationary period

hi

I have a strong feeling that I will be fired tomorrow if I go into work. The senior managers had a meeting about my status and shortly afterwards, I saw my boss sitting with the HR manager.

My 3 month probationary period is over on July 1st. I am not a terrible employee, but I am terribly unconcentrated when one of the gruffer managers comes over to shout at me. He is the one who is driving all of this, but I get along with my boss extremely well.

The question is - if I take a stress leave of a week, how will this change my situation? Can they fire me by e-mail? I have some interviews lined up, but need as much money as I can get, and don't want to lose any vacation pay that I might get.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 23.06.2011, 21:57
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 16,264
Groaned at 262 Times in 222 Posts
Thanked 13,792 Times in 7,697 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fired while on probationary period

Quote:
View Post
hi

I have a strong feeling that I will be fired tomorrow if I go into work. The senior managers had a meeting about my status and shortly afterwards, I saw my boss sitting with the HR manager.

My 3 month probationary period is over on July 1st. I am not a terrible employee, but I am terribly unconcentrated when one of the gruffer managers comes over to shout at me. He is the one who is driving all of this, but I get along with my boss extremely well.

The question is - if I take a stress leave of a week, how will this change my situation? Can they fire me by e-mail? I have some interviews lined up, but need as much money as I can get, and don't want to lose any vacation pay that I might get.

Any ideas or suggestions?
They can fire you when you return, the notice period will be a month, rather than a week, so if your not at work at the end of this month you would probably be paid untill the end of August.
Have you worked before in CH over the last 24 months? if so you may be entitled to unemployment pay.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #3  
Old 23.06.2011, 21:59
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 263
Groaned at 70 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 192 Times in 116 Posts
mishimishi is considered unworthymishimishi is considered unworthymishimishi is considered unworthy
Re: Fired while on probationary period

oh, I can use that extra time to find another job and can really use the extra pay.

thanks. I have a super rapid hearbeat and have problems sleeping.

Last edited by mishimishi; 23.06.2011 at 22:03. Reason: my coworkers might read this
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 23.06.2011, 22:01
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 263
Groaned at 70 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 192 Times in 116 Posts
mishimishi is considered unworthymishimishi is considered unworthymishimishi is considered unworthy
Re: Fired while on probationary period

I have but only for a 6 month contract, so I don't have enough accumulated time for unemployment, but I really appreciate you asking.

It feels nice to think that someone cares.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank mishimishi for this useful post:
  #5  
Old 23.06.2011, 22:03
Dougal's Breakfast's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ostschweiz
Posts: 17,086
Groaned at 1,086 Times in 842 Posts
Thanked 45,870 Times in 14,173 Posts
Dougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond reputeDougal's Breakfast has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fired while on probationary period

This post might interest you.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Dougal's Breakfast for this useful post:
  #6  
Old 23.06.2011, 22:04
NSchulzi's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Zug
Posts: 2,429
Groaned at 56 Times in 37 Posts
Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,215 Posts
NSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond reputeNSchulzi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fired while on probationary period

Get ye to a doctor, mishimishi!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank NSchulzi for this useful post:
  #7  
Old 23.06.2011, 22:05
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 16,264
Groaned at 262 Times in 222 Posts
Thanked 13,792 Times in 7,697 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fired while on probationary period

Quote:
View Post
I have but only for a 6 month contract, so I don't have enough accumulated time for unemployment, but I really appreciate you asking.

It feels nice to think that someone cares.
you need a minimium of 12 months in the last 24. Do I understand that you have worked 6 months + potentially 5 with your current job? If so you just need to get a tempory job for a month even if the pay is bad!
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #8  
Old 23.06.2011, 22:07
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 263
Groaned at 70 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 192 Times in 116 Posts
mishimishi is considered unworthymishimishi is considered unworthymishimishi is considered unworthy
Re: Fired while on probationary period

Quote:
View Post
This post might interest you.
does that include the probationary period? I might as well try as I have nothing to lose, and am feeling ill anyway as I need my tonsils removed.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 23.06.2011, 22:09
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 263
Groaned at 70 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 192 Times in 116 Posts
mishimishi is considered unworthymishimishi is considered unworthymishimishi is considered unworthy
Re: Fired while on probationary period

Quote:
View Post
you need a minimium of 12 months in the last 24. Do I understand that you have worked 6 months + potentially 5 with your current job? If so you just need to get a tempory job for a month even if the pay is bad!

I thought they had increased it to 18 months of work needed for unemployment just recently
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 23.06.2011, 22:11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 263
Groaned at 70 Times in 33 Posts
Thanked 192 Times in 116 Posts
mishimishi is considered unworthymishimishi is considered unworthymishimishi is considered unworthy
Re: Fired while on probationary period

thank you everyone for your support and help. I really appreciate it. Time to go cry in my beer so I am logging off. Have a nice evening everyone.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank mishimishi for this useful post:
  #11  
Old 23.06.2011, 22:12
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 16,264
Groaned at 262 Times in 222 Posts
Thanked 13,792 Times in 7,697 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fired while on probationary period

Quote:
View Post
I thought they had increased it to 18 months of work needed for unemployment just recently
12 months will give you 240 days 18 months gives you 400 days
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #12  
Old 23.06.2011, 22:15
adrianlondon's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Basel
Posts: 9,200
Groaned at 193 Times in 176 Posts
Thanked 25,643 Times in 6,892 Posts
adrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond reputeadrianlondon has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fired while on probationary period

You're not very lucky, are you.

Discrimination by UBS

You're gonna end up with quite a damaged employment record if you're not careful. As was already correctly suggested above, go see your doctor, explain the situation, and take it from there.
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank adrianlondon for this useful post:
  #13  
Old 24.06.2011, 12:55
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: lugano
Posts: 42
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 14 Times in 8 Posts
messi10 has become a little unpopularmessi10 has become a little unpopular
Re: Fired while on probationary period

Hey mimishi, sorry to hear about your experience with UBS, I wish you good luck, truly.


That said, let me also say that it looks terrible on your work record to have had a bad experience with UBS. I know it's not really positive advice, but is what it is... perhaps you will find it difficult looking for work in CH after this experience... indeed something to consider in future.

But alas, good luck!!!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 24.06.2011, 13:38
fatmanfilms's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Verbier
Posts: 16,264
Groaned at 262 Times in 222 Posts
Thanked 13,792 Times in 7,697 Posts
fatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond reputefatmanfilms has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fired while on probationary period

Quote:
View Post
Hey mimishi, sorry to hear about your experience with UBS, I wish you good luck, truly.


That said, let me also say that it looks terrible on your work record to have had a bad experience with UBS. I know it's not really positive advice, but is what it is... perhaps you will find it difficult looking for work in CH after this experience... indeed something to consider in future.

But alas, good luck!!!
Probably should leave one of the jobs or possibly both off your CV, unless you can get the company to say that you only had a temporary job on your reference.
Reply With Quote
This user would like to thank fatmanfilms for this useful post:
  #15  
Old 24.06.2011, 14:22
Mica's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Zurich
Posts: 678
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanked 827 Times in 363 Posts
Mica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond reputeMica has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fired while on probationary period

Quote:
View Post
They can fire you when you return, the notice period will be a month, rather than a week, so if your not at work at the end of this month you would probably be paid untill the end of August.
Quote:
View Post
Get ye to a doctor, mishimishi!
If you attempt to run out the clock on the probationary period by being "ill", have another look at Art. 335b para. 3 CO. The probationary period gets extended, so the notice period remains 7 days. Also, during the probationary period your employer can terminate your employment even if you are ill, pregnant, in the military, etc. (check Art. 336c which says that these safeguards apply only after ther probationary period has run out).

Quote:
View Post
This post might interest you.
Nope. That only applies to terminations after the probationary period has expired...
Reply With Quote
The following 4 users would like to thank Mica for this useful post:
  #16  
Old 24.06.2011, 14:46
economisto
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Fired while on probationary period

I read your previous thread, where you had problems with UBS. The one where you groaned all the people who tried to help. Now you're trying to lie (commit fraud) to get around a legitimate action by your employer.


Adrianlondon believes you are "unlucky". People make their own luck. Look to yourself. I'm rooting for your employer - how unfortunate they are to have employed you.
Reply With Quote
The following 10 users would like to thank for this useful post:
  #17  
Old 24.06.2011, 14:54
phdoofus's Avatar
Forum Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: City by the Bay
Posts: 2,364
Groaned at 97 Times in 57 Posts
Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,227 Posts
phdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond reputephdoofus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fired while on probationary period

Quote:
View Post
Adrianlondon believes you are "unlucky". People make their own luck. Look to yourself. I'm rooting for your employer - how unfortunate they are to have employed you.
After reading both threads, I confess I can't help but think that, quite honestly. It makes very little sense why an employer would to go to all the trouble of interviewing someone and hiring them only to turn around and make their life hell just to get rid of them. Now that we have two examples of being 'unlucky', one can't help imagine that there's more to this story than what we're getting.
Reply With Quote
The following 7 users would like to thank phdoofus for this useful post:
  #18  
Old 24.06.2011, 14:57
economisto
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Fired while on probationary period

Quote:
View Post
After reading both threads, I confess I can't help but think that, quite honestly. It makes very little sense why an employer would to go to all the trouble of interviewing someone and hiring them only to turn around and make their life hell just to get rid of them. Now that we have two examples of being 'unlucky', one can't help imagine that there's more to this story than what we're getting.
Well, I'll be honest, if it were me who was being let go during my probationary period, I'd be disappointed (not surprised, I'm not the easiest person in the world) but I wouldn't fight it - the alternative is to plant yourself with people who don't want you. What a nightmare. If someone wants you gone, go. If you try and do over a large bank or similar through deception they have the power and resources to screw you to the wall for the rest of your life.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 24.06.2011, 15:10
Treverus's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 10,727
Groaned at 262 Times in 221 Posts
Thanked 19,690 Times in 7,184 Posts
Treverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond reputeTreverus has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fired while on probationary period

Quote:
View Post
hi

I have a strong feeling that I will be fired tomorrow if I go into work. The senior managers had a meeting about my status and shortly afterwards, I saw my boss sitting with the HR manager.

My 3 month probationary period is over on July 1st. I am not a terrible employee, but I am terribly unconcentrated when one of the gruffer managers comes over to shout at me. He is the one who is driving all of this, but I get along with my boss extremely well.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Just for the record: In Swiss companies is it totally normal that at the end of the probation period your manager sits together with HR and discusses your employment.

You say that you are getting along with your boss extremely well... so: What makes you believe that they want to fire you?

Maybe - just maybe - there is no problem and you are causing one? I am not a specialist on probation periods, but I thought that any form of leave prolongs it? I once agreed with a new employer that I will take an already planned vacation during my first month of work - something normally not done. The probation period was therefore prolonged for two weeks at the end.
Reply With Quote
The following 2 users would like to thank Treverus for this useful post:
  #20  
Old 24.06.2011, 15:13
bigblue2's Avatar
Forum Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Glarus
Posts: 7,128
Groaned at 407 Times in 339 Posts
Thanked 12,111 Times in 4,834 Posts
bigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond reputebigblue2 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fired while on probationary period

So OP, its now tomorrow, where you fired?
Reply With Quote
The following 5 users would like to thank bigblue2 for this useful post:
Reply




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting fired in Switzerland Sound lady Employment 24 27.05.2018 12:33
Fired while sick gravitycantforget Employment 11 19.03.2011 11:10
almost fired even Im in the hospital..... Renata74 Employment 13 24.07.2010 19:08
Why i was fired! Joanna Jokes/funnies 5 29.07.2008 09:57


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0