English Forum Switzerland

English Forum Switzerland (https://www.englishforum.ch/forum.php)
-   Employment (https://www.englishforum.ch/employment/)
-   -   Notice period and vacations (https://www.englishforum.ch/employment/11919-notice-period-vacations.html)

jo_spain 06.09.2007 14:20

Notice period and vacations
 
Hi guys.

I gave notice to my company (3 months). I have some vacations days (about 2 weeks). But my employer said that needs me and I'm not allowed to take them. Is that right? :mad:

Someone told me that I can take some time off for interviews once I gave notice. I'm not sure if that is possible.:confused:

I dont know much about swiss law, but I'd like to get some advice.

Thanks.

Lob 06.09.2007 17:55

Re: Notice period and vacations
 
You can take your holiday during notice period but it has to be at a time suited to your employer, if I remember correctly. You can also leverage this time to go to interviews.

Richard 07.09.2007 08:35

Re: Notice period and vacations
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lob Rockster (Post 101436)
You can take your holiday during notice period but it has to be at a time suited to your employer, if I remember correctly. You can also leverage this time to go to interviews.

And further your employer can insist that you work your full time and have your holidays paid out, although this is most unusual if you are not in agreement.

chiguy 07.09.2007 10:12

Re: Notice period and vacations
 
Of course you can always come down with a mysterious illness on days when you schedule interviews...

Richard 07.09.2007 10:16

Re: Notice period and vacations
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by chiguy (Post 101587)
Of course you can always come down with a mysterious illness on days when you schedule interviews...

Which is exactly why employers favour getting the person out of the door. Oh I never mentioned it before. Ask for an interim reference right now, today. This reference must then be a copy of your final reference and they are obliged to produce one quickly. As soon as you have this in your pocket you can start being regularly ill and there is nothing they can do about it ie they cannot produce a worse reference because of what you do in your notice period unless you manage to be instantly dimissed...

Guest 07.09.2007 10:18

Re: Notice period and vacations
 
It seems a bit odd for a company to force someone to work when they would rather take holidays and save the company a bit of money. I would suggest going into work with a smile and give the task-in-hand the consideration it deserved. Resist the temptation to be "guilted" into stressing yourself out in the final weeks.

dave

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard (Post 101547)
And further your employer can insist that you work your full time and have your holidays paid out, although this is most unusual if you are not in agreement.


Richard 07.09.2007 10:20

Re: Notice period and vacations
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveA (Post 101594)
It seems a bit odd for a company to force someone to work when they would rather take holidays and save the company a bit of money. I would suggest going into work with a smile and give the task-in-hand the consideration it deserved. Resist the temptation to be "guilted" into stressing yourself out in the final weeks.

dave

But get the interim reference first...

ktdt77 07.09.2007 11:12

Re: Notice period and vacations
 
I see a different problem. I have also given notice to my employer... i would like to work my notice period. However my employer is insisiting on taking all holidays which is a good amount of money if paid out.

Can employer insist to finish your holidays in the notice period.

baris 26.10.2007 23:00

Re: Notice period and vacations
 
A bump to the thread and a similar question I cannot find answered on the internets:

Do you have to state the notice period in your official resignation letter or is it already assumed since it's in the contract?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktdt77 (Post 101626)
I see a different problem. I have also given notice to my employer... i would like to work my notice period. However my employer is insisiting on taking all holidays which is a good amount of money if paid out.

Can employer insist to finish your holidays in the notice period.



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 13:29.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
LinkBacks Enabled by vBSEO 3.1.0